Australian Open raises prize money by 4 million dollars - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 4th, 2012, 06:20 PM   #61
country flag sweetadri06

sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Australian Open raises prize money by 4 million dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by KournikovaFan91 View Post
Agree, some people assume that players are just pocketing 100% of the prize money and hitting the department stores to stock up on Prada, Gucci and Cartier afterwards.

The gap between the world no.1 and world no.100 is enormous.

Azarenka (1)
Tounaments played - 18
Prize Money YTD - $6,068,920

Chan (100)
Tournaments played - 16
Prize Money YTD - $142,890

That is an astronomical difference. Chan's money is only 2% of Azarenka's (talk about income inequality).
Azarenka's 4R run at RG earned her almost as much as Chan has all year.

Even World No.30 McHale has only won $439,543, Kirilenko who has had a good year at 15 has won $1,018,389.
So yes until you are I would say Top 30 plus you aren't exactly living the high life. Makiri earns double McHale but Azarenka earns 6 times as much as Makiri.
Makiri is a bad example, she has offcourt endorsements as well and is not hurting for money. Mchale also has sponsors in addition to prize money. I would say that top 50-100 make a decent living, most of them have sponsors/endorsements. Top 100 and above is where you have to scrape for the money really, but they are still make more than minimum wage. You never see the top 100-200 players anyway unless you are a hardcore tennis fan, these players are usually on the ITF/challenger circuit with empty crowds, so they should not make considerably much more. (IMO)
Advertisement

Old Oct 4th, 2012, 06:57 PM   #62
country flag KournikovaFan91
*Sesil*

KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute

I was just using Makiri to show the differntial I know she isn't starving but even 145k for Chan that is pre-tax as are all prize money stats and then when you consider travelling expenses (massive), coaching, and training that really amounts to not a lot. So she might end up with say 50-60k by the end of it.

Hardly milking it the way some suggest in this thread that a R1 slam loser gets too much already.

If the WTA/ITF operated like Actor's Equity or SAG they could ensure all whether at the top or bottom receive fairer pay and still have the top stars rewarded. But of course the WTA isn't an association or a trade union its a business so doesn't operate in this way.

Top players also shouldn't be so keen to diss lower ranked players earning money seeing as they could end up back there themselves some day.
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 07:03 PM   #63
country flag 18majors

18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future

WTA is a meritocracy society and that's good.
18majors is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 07:05 PM   #64
*Sesil*

KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute

That's the right wing explanation no matter how big the income inequality
Old Oct 7th, 2012, 05:04 PM   #65
country flag Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayitis View Post
Well, ticket prices have gone up, as expected:

from "The Australian", prices in AU$

Tennis fans will bear part of the extra costs, with increases as high as 16 per cent on some tickets.

The cheapest centre-court ticket is up 10 per cent to $74.90.

Price hikes are routinely higher on concession tickets.

Ground passes bought on the day are $39, up $5.

PRICE HIKE

2013 Australian Open adult ticket increases

(2012 prices)

Men's final

$394.90 ($369.90)

Women's final

$294.90 ($289.90)

Men's semi-final (night)

$224.90 ($199.90)

Third round (night)

$134.90 ($122.90)

First round (night)

$74.90 ($67.90)
I get a 5 day ground pass - I wonder if that's gone up.

All time favourite: Anna Chakvetadze

Will my weakness for an hour, make me suffer for a life time?
Invisible Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2012, 05:38 PM   #66
country flag blackandblue

blackandblue has much to be proud of blackandblue has much to be proud of blackandblue has much to be proud of blackandblue has much to be proud of blackandblue has much to be proud of blackandblue has much to be proud of blackandblue has much to be proud of blackandblue has much to be proud of blackandblue has much to be proud of blackandblue has much to be proud of blackandblue has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimskeuh View Post
Outreagous, like these players don't earn enough money already. We live in a greedy world
And the tournament doesn't?
blackandblue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 03:49 PM   #67
country flag Vaidisova

Vaidisova has disabled reputation

AUSTRALIAN Open prizemoney is expected to swell to $40 million by 2016 as the stakes continue to rise in the remuneration battle between the grand slams and the men hungry for a larger slice of the expanding financial pie.

Just days after Tennis Australia announced an almost 18 per cent rise in the prize pool for the 2013 event to ward off the threat of a boycott, The Age has learnt that players have been advised that what will hit $30 million in January is likely to grow by a further $10 million within three years. In 2007, the total purse was $20 million.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/spor...#ixzz28ieW0mdv
Vaidisova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 04:11 PM   #68
tejmeglekvár
CFO

tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.tennis.com/news/2012/10/s.../#.UIa0CWeOwyA

Sharapova, Serena speak on Aussie Open prize money

Matt Cronin
Monday, October 22, 2012

ISTANBUL -- Maria Sharapova and Serena Williams are both satisfied with the prize money bump for the 2013 Australian Open, but say they expect bigger things from the Grand Slams in the future.

The Australian Open recently announced a $4.15 million increase in prize money to a record $31.1 million. The ATP Players Council then withdrew its threat of a boycott, but president Roger Federer said they were not done negotiating with the Grand Slams.

The top women players at the WTA Championships in Istanbul were scheduled to meet with Australian Open tournament director Craig Tiley as well as representatives of the three other Grand Slams on Monday.

“If you compare the percentage to what we are getting at the other Slams, the Australian Open is doing a much better job of compensating us,” Sharapova told TENNIS.com, the Age and the London Times. “I think it’s time for the other Grand Slams to step up. I think the Australian Open is under a lot of pressure because they are the first Grand Slam of the year. But I think the other Grand Slams need to step up based on what they make because their revenue is much bigger than the Australian Open makes.”

Serena, who is a member of the Player’s Council, said she’s happy for now.

"I know everyone's complaining about the amount of prize money, but it was a good increase,” she told TENNIS.com. We know the tournaments are making so much money off of us. We can't start out asking for 30-40 percent [more]. Hopefully we can gradually make more progress every year.''

Serena added that she hasn't made up her mind as to how the total purse should be distributed. The men have recommended giving more to players in the lower rounds.

"Everyone deserves an increase, the first, the second, the third rounds, said Williams.

When asked whether she would be in favor of giving more of an increase to the first few rounds rather than the finalists, she said, "Sure, why not?"

Sharapova said she doesn't agree with giving more to first-round losers, but does favor a larger increase for winners of lower-round matches.

Unlike some other players such as WTA Players Council member Bethanie Mattek-Sands, who was upset with the ATP Players Council for not talking to the women before beginning negotiations with the Slams, Sharapova and Williams think that’s it’s not a real issue.

"Unfortunately we're two different tours and that's impossible unless the tours were combined,” Serena said.

Sharapova added: “There not much we can do about it, there are only few things in our control. [But] if [ATP Players Council president] Roger [Federer] wants to talk about it, I would absolutely do so. At the end of the day, we are all tennis players and we all have the same agenda and we all want to be compensated for what we do.”
tejmeglekvár is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 04:46 PM   #69
country flag JeMa

JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx19 View Post
Men are guaranteeing women get paid good money, wouldnt bag them too much.

The prize money for top players is ridiculous, should only increase the money for the lower ranked players.
I think it's bullshit to offer more money for people that lose matches. You lost 1st round you don't deserve a raise. All the complaining is bs. Become a better player. Work harder. Second round loss can get a bump but unless you played through the gualys and got to the first round, then that first round loss is nothing more than an appearance fee.

I object to some player ranked 66 in the main draw plays their first round and then loses 6-2, 6-1 to get a raise.
Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 04:49 PM   #70
country flag JeMa

JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejmeglekvár View Post
http://www.tennis.com/news/2012/10/s.../#.UIa0CWeOwyA

Sharapova, Serena speak on Aussie Open prize money

Matt Cronin
Monday, October 22, 2012

ISTANBUL -- Maria Sharapova and Serena Williams are both satisfied with the prize money bump for the 2013 Australian Open, but say they expect bigger things from the Grand Slams in the future.

The Australian Open recently announced a $4.15 million increase in prize money to a record $31.1 million. The ATP Players Council then withdrew its threat of a boycott, but president Roger Federer said they were not done negotiating with the Grand Slams.

The top women players at the WTA Championships in Istanbul were scheduled to meet with Australian Open tournament director Craig Tiley as well as representatives of the three other Grand Slams on Monday.

“If you compare the percentage to what we are getting at the other Slams, the Australian Open is doing a much better job of compensating us,” Sharapova told TENNIS.com, the Age and the London Times. “I think it’s time for the other Grand Slams to step up. I think the Australian Open is under a lot of pressure because they are the first Grand Slam of the year. But I think the other Grand Slams need to step up based on what they make because their revenue is much bigger than the Australian Open makes.”

Serena, who is a member of the Player’s Council, said she’s happy for now.

"I know everyone's complaining about the amount of prize money, but it was a good increase,” she told TENNIS.com. We know the tournaments are making so much money off of us. We can't start out asking for 30-40 percent [more]. Hopefully we can gradually make more progress every year.''

Serena added that she hasn't made up her mind as to how the total purse should be distributed. The men have recommended giving more to players in the lower rounds.

"Everyone deserves an increase, the first, the second, the third rounds, said Williams.

When asked whether she would be in favor of giving more of an increase to the first few rounds rather than the finalists, she said, "Sure, why not?"

Sharapova said she doesn't agree with giving more to first-round losers, but does favor a larger increase for winners of lower-round matches.

Unlike some other players such as WTA Players Council member Bethanie Mattek-Sands, who was upset with the ATP Players Council for not talking to the women before beginning negotiations with the Slams, Sharapova and Williams think that’s it’s not a real issue.

"Unfortunately we're two different tours and that's impossible unless the tours were combined,” Serena said.

Sharapova added: “There not much we can do about it, there are only few things in our control. [But] if [ATP Players Council president] Roger [Federer] wants to talk about it, I would absolutely do so. At the end of the day, we are all tennis players and we all have the same agenda and we all want to be compensated for what we do.”
I agree with Maria , more money if you win an early round. Also I liked the bonus points they used to get for beating someone ranked above them.
Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 05:28 PM   #71
*Sesil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeMa View Post
I think it's bullshit to offer more money for people that lose matches. You lost 1st round you don't deserve a raise. All the complaining is bs. Become a better player. Work harder. Second round loss can get a bump but unless you played through the gualys and got to the first round, then that first round loss is nothing more than an appearance fee.

I object to some player ranked 66 in the main draw plays their first round and then loses 6-2, 6-1 to get a raise.
They got paid jack shit to get to Number 66, these first round losers have slogged it out on the ITF tour for a long time in some cases I've no issue with them getting a bonus at a slam just for having a high enough rank to get there.

You act like first round slam losers are just part-time players.
Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 05:32 PM   #72
tejmeglekvár
CFO

tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KournikovaFan91 View Post
They got paid jack shit to get to Number 66, these first round losers have slogged it out on the ITF tour for a long time in some cases I've no issue with them getting a bonus at a slam just for having a high enough rank to get there.

You act like first round slam losers are just part-time players.
Then with this extra $$$ raise the prize money of the ITF Tour.

Slams are ITF controlled too, why dont they contribute more for the sport's well-being?
tejmeglekvár is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote