Why did Kuznetsova end up with a better career than Dementieva and Petrova? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 4th, 2012, 06:25 PM   #1
country flag ToopsTame

ToopsTame has a brilliant future ToopsTame has a brilliant future ToopsTame has a brilliant future ToopsTame has a brilliant future ToopsTame has a brilliant future ToopsTame has a brilliant future ToopsTame has a brilliant future ToopsTame has a brilliant future ToopsTame has a brilliant future ToopsTame has a brilliant future ToopsTame has a brilliant future
Why did Kuznetsova end up with a better career than Dementieva and Petrova?

Congratulations to Nadia for her match today. It shows how much of an underachiever she has been because of her mental issues. She has had many good players on the ropes before imploding. Dementieva had a more consistent career but was similarly mentally weak in big moments. My question is, considering that Kuznetsova is just as big a headcase as the other two, how did she manage to win two slams? To me all three have similar levels of talent and mental weakness.
ToopsTame is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 4th, 2012, 06:27 PM   #2
moby

moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why did Kuznetsova end up with a better career than Dementieva and Petrova?

She played Dementieva and Safina in her slam finals, so it was a bit of a crapshoot. Someone had to win those.

In all seriousness:
1) She also had a higher peak level than either of them. When she keys it in and moves and times her shots, she probably has the most complete and lethal game of the three. Dementieva's serve was always a bit of a liability even in the best of times, and Nadia's forehand and movement are a bit wonky.
2) She won her first slam as a fearless 19 year-old playing with no pressure, and got that monkey off her back pretty early, before she could look back and reflect on the magnitude of the occasion.
3) Her mental weakness is exaggerated. She just has risky and unclever shot selection most of the time. Looks good on the rare occasions she makes them, but is read as "mental weakness" when she doesn't. People just fail to accept this is part of her game.
Love long has taken for his amulet/One perfect rose.
Why is it no one ever sent me yet/One perfect limousine, do you suppose?
Ah no, it's always just my luck to get/One perfect rose.

Last edited by moby : Nov 4th, 2012 at 06:35 PM.
moby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 06:29 PM   #3
country flag Setsuna.
KaWOW! Leonard.

Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute

Because she is a better player than them.

Chakvetadze Barthel Kerber Bencic Pavlyuchenkova Halep Muguruza Lottner
Setsuna. is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 06:29 PM   #4
country flag saint2

saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute

Her 2 slams are, sorry, but flukes slams I remember...
She just took slams no one other was willing to take.
saint2 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 06:30 PM   #5
country flag hablo

hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute

When she was on, her game was better than the other two.

GO all Canuck players GO
hablo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 06:31 PM   #6
country flag dencod16

dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute

I personally think her and Petrova has a better game than Dementieva. And Kuznetsova is not that much of a mental case if you are comparing her to Petrova. so Kuzy > Dementieva game wise and Kuzy > Petrova mental toughness wise.
dencod16 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 06:35 PM   #7
country flag Dawson.

Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute

Her highest level of play is superior to both Dementieva and Petrova, despite a similar (if not slightly weaker) mentality.

... for some reason.
Dawson. is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 06:41 PM   #8
Olórin

Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute

Because she is better. The only thing Petrova has over her is the serve and Dementieva has the movement. When she's on she's the best Russian after Sharapova, which is reflected in the slam count.

Dementieva herself is probably the #3 Russian with Myskina and Safina rounding out the top five. Sorry Nadia.
Olórin is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 06:50 PM   #9
country flag A-Bond

A-Bond has a reputation beyond repute A-Bond has a reputation beyond repute A-Bond has a reputation beyond repute A-Bond has a reputation beyond repute A-Bond has a reputation beyond repute A-Bond has a reputation beyond repute A-Bond has a reputation beyond repute A-Bond has a reputation beyond repute A-Bond has a reputation beyond repute A-Bond has a reputation beyond repute A-Bond has a reputation beyond repute

I really have no idea. I don't think her PEAK is better than Dementieva's or Petrova's in particular. It sounds weird but I think she was just "luckier", "had the better day", whatever, I mean she can play so well but the same goes for Elena and Nadia.
A-Bond is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 06:52 PM   #10
country flag Simugna Help

Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute

Despite her 2 slams and over 5 years in top 10, I think Kuznetsova is an underachiever. Petrova is also an underachiever, but to a lesser extent I think.

Dementieva's achievements reflect more or less what she was capable of.
Simugna Help is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 06:55 PM   #11
country flag matty

matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint2 View Post
Her 2 slams are, sorry, but flukes slams I remember...
She just took slams no one other was willing to take.

Sveta, more talented IMO.

Dementieva was a serious, dedicated, hard-worker and that is where I think her success mostly comes from. While Sveta had a lot of talent but often seems like she doesn't want to be on court/on the tour/doesn't give a rats a _ _.

Nadia is probably a combo of Sveta (talent) and Elena (disciplined hard worker)

ooo h a n t u c h o v a ooo a z a r e n k a ooo s w i l l i a m s ooo v w i l l i a m s ooo k e y s ooo m a t t e k - s a n d s ooo k u z n e t s o v a ooo
matty is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 06:57 PM   #12
country flag plokploky

plokploky is a splendid one to behold plokploky is a splendid one to behold plokploky is a splendid one to behold plokploky is a splendid one to behold plokploky is a splendid one to behold plokploky is a splendid one to behold plokploky is a splendid one to behold plokploky is a splendid one to behold plokploky is a splendid one to behold plokploky is a splendid one to behold plokploky is a splendid one to behold

Kuznetsova's all-court game was devastatingly good when on. She had a good serve, fantastic forehand, great defense and good volleys. Her next slam is due next year, so we'll see this in action again
All the British girls
plokploky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 07:03 PM   #13
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisagi. View Post
Because she is a better player than them.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby View Post
3) Her mental weakness is exaggerated. She just has risky and unclever shot selection most of the time. Looks good on the rare occasions she makes them, but is read as "mental weakness" when she doesn't. People just fail to accept this is part of her game.
Also this, kinda. Kuznetsova was never really a classical choker in the Novotna/Dementieva mould -- she was completely calm and poised throughout that RG final against Safina for example. I don't really think some of what's been described as her "chokes" over her career were a result of her getting crippled with nerves. Her headcaseyness is more because her concentration is very flaky and she seems to struggle with motivation big time.
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 07:05 PM   #14
country flag matty

matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
This.

her concentration is very flaky and she seems to struggle with motivation big time.
true

ooo h a n t u c h o v a ooo a z a r e n k a ooo s w i l l i a m s ooo v w i l l i a m s ooo k e y s ooo m a t t e k - s a n d s ooo k u z n e t s o v a ooo
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 07:05 PM   #15
country flag matty

Quote:
Originally Posted by plokploky View Post
Kuznetsova's all-court game was devastatingly good when on. She had a good serve, fantastic forehand, great defense and good volleys. Her next slam is due next year, so we'll see this in action again
I miss this Sveta