Serena's 2013 Clay Court Strategy - Page 9 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 11th, 2012, 09:16 PM   #121
country flag DevilishAttitude

DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Serena's 2013 Clay Court Strategy

Quote:
Originally Posted by acetoace View Post
[/b]

Good....... exactly why what u said isn't valid. Your statement represents an opinion and yours only. IT DOES NOT REPRESENT ANY FACT THAT SERENA WILIIAMS WILL NOT WIN FO AGAIN!!!

Particularly upon pova winning FO. If pova of all players won FO, Serena can and will. Pova just did what Serena has done in the past. Nothing new! 2012 FO is now in the past for pova. Like Serena in her time, no guarantee pova will repeat in 2013.

Serena's chances next year is as great as pova's no matter what haters say. Bring on the FO in 2013.....
LOL at that entire post, I had forgotten the delusion of the Williams sister posters on here.

Sharapova's clay record is far better than Serena's in the same time period. She's beaten nine Top 10 players, won five red clay titles, one which was the French. Her chances of winning it again are far greater than Serena's.
DevilishAttitude is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 11th, 2012, 09:22 PM   #122
country flag AcesHigh

AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by homogenius View Post
Too lazy to go into the details, but Aces is right on almost everything.Maria improved on the surface, and she has now decent movement on clay (in comparison with the begining of her career) but she didn't win the FO this year by playing like a claycourter.Pierce is a good example : just cause she used to hit the shit out of the ball doesn't mean that's how she played and won on clay.She was able to adapt her game to the surface, varying the effects of the ball, using dropshots when needed etc...Generally speaking, her movement was one of her weakness, but when she was healthy and fit, she moved beautifully on the surface, knowing what she was doing.That's one of the reason why she was successful on it, beat some great players at the FO and won it twice, while someone like Davenport for example never managed to do it.
Couldn't good rep you so have to say thanks. Appreciated coming from one of the posters I respect the most on here.

But seriously on the subject of the thread, if Serena is serious about winning the French, just play two red clay warmups and hope for the best. That's all she can really do at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrinbaker00 View Post
When will you learn that "pushers" never make it past the club level, let alone #1 on the WTA computer? Will it be too late?
AcesHigh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 10:37 PM   #123
country flag Thiudans

Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh View Post
Couldn't good rep you so have to say thanks. Appreciated coming from one of the posters I respect the most on here.

But seriously on the subject of the thread, if Serena is serious about winning the French, just play two red clay warmups and hope for the best. That's all she can really do at this point.
So she couldn't play well to win the tournament? She'd have to just hope to win?
Thiudans is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 12:20 AM   #124
country flag TheDream

TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh View Post

This poster didn't even know how many FO Mary won. That tells me the relevance of the posters you respect.
TheDream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 04:21 AM   #125
country flag Smitten

Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute

Pierce and Sharapova play different on clay despite both being relatively slow and flat hitters.

Just watch Pierce's 2000 HLs run. The angles she kept burning Legend with and the way she could occasionally hit a loopier sort of moonball shot to break rhythm were good tools for her.
Smitten is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 06:18 AM   #126
country flag ziros

ziros is a splendid one to behold ziros is a splendid one to behold ziros is a splendid one to behold ziros is a splendid one to behold ziros is a splendid one to behold ziros is a splendid one to behold ziros is a splendid one to behold ziros is a splendid one to behold ziros is a splendid one to behold ziros is a splendid one to behold ziros is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilishAttitude View Post
LOL at that entire post, I had forgotten the delusion of the Williams sister posters on here.

Sharapova's clay record is far better than Serena's in the same time period. She's beaten nine Top 10 players, won five red clay titles, one which was the French. Her chances of winning it again are far greater than Serena's.
It's strange - Maria has a better chance vs. the field(all players other than Serena) to win it,but yet she has negative chances in a match with Serena...
ziros is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 11:51 AM   #127
Mistress of Evil
mean-spirited, vicious bitch witch

Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefyingGravity View Post
Even though Ana has an additional RG final, Berlin title, and RG QF to her name than Sharapova (Serena, btw, has reached the quarters in France in 2001, 2004, 2007, 2009, and 2010. She's not really a bad clay court player), she may not end up being the better clay courter in the end than Maria.
Erm, hello! Maria has 1 title, 2 SFs, 3 other QFs at the French. Plus 2 Rome titles, a Stuttgart one, Amelia Island and a MM title. She is already a way more accomplished player on clay than Ana. Not that this is of any significance but it was just weird seeing you use the word 'additional' and imply that Ivanovic is ahead of Sharapova results wise on clay, as she clearly isn't in fact she is quite behind!
Mistress of Evil is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 01:39 PM   #128
country flag MrProdigy555
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't take that poster seriously when they type in that immature font.

Like I said, bring on French Open 2013!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProdigy555 View Post
Don't make me come to T&T to huff and puff and blow your hut down, girl.
Fuck y'all
MrProdigy555 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 03:07 PM   #129
country flag KeysisGOAT

KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future

I think she has two options. See Kim Clijsters' doctor and have an annoying injury that causes her to sadly miss the clay court season in time to miraculously recover and win Wimbledon.

The other is do what she can go about it the same way she always has. Play some tournaments, hit the ball hard and be the best player on the court 80% of the time.
KeysisGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 05:06 PM   #130
country flag acetoace

acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Светльо View Post
Erm, hello! Maria has 1 title, 2 SFs, 3 other QFs at the French. Plus 2 Rome titles, a Stuttgart one, Amelia Island and a MM title. She is already a way more accomplished player on clay than Ana. Not that this is of any significance but it was just weird seeing you use the word 'additional' and imply that Ivanovic is ahead of Sharapova results wise on clay, as she clearly isn't in fact she is quite behind!

Ooooops.... TF deranged bipolar "font psycho" is back. The avatar itself speaks volume!!!
acetoace is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 05:12 PM   #131
country flag Stamp Paid
Joshua

Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Светльо View Post
Slutlio sis, please stop with this font.

██████████████████ʘ
Ashe. Gibson. Williams. Williams.
Stamp Paid is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 05:32 PM   #132
country flag The Dawntreader
La Divina Assoluta

The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitten View Post
Pierce and Sharapova play different on clay despite both being relatively slow and flat hitters.

Just watch Pierce's 2000 HLs run. The angles she kept burning Legend with and the way she could occasionally hit a loopier sort of moonball shot to break rhythm were good tools for her.
I think Sharapova has learnt to put a bit of air and rotation on her forehand on clay. Up until 2010, she would try and hit this uber-flat ball that just gave any decent ball-striker tons of rhythm. That match against Cibulkova in '09 is a prime example. Sharapova was feeding Cibulkova pace, and she was just deflecting it fairly comfortably. That kind of brand of tennis doesn't really work on clay, especially if you don't have the footwork and athleticism to back it up.

The first time I actually noticed Sharapova playing genuine clay-court tennis was against Henin at RG in '10. She was loading her forehand with spin, and not allowing Henin to have the same height on the ball in every rally to strike. She's pretty much carried on in that vein ever since.
The Dawntreader is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 09:54 PM   #133

DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziros View Post
It's strange - Maria has a better chance vs. the field(all players other than Serena) to win it,but yet she has negative chances in a match with Serena...
The only bright spot for Maria is that she did take Serena to 3 sets on green clay in 2008, when she was struggling with her shoulder and Serena eventually won that tournament.

It's just a terrible match up, Serena exposes Maria's lack of feel on her returns and exposes her lack of movement out wide and she does it with ease as well, see how she seemed to have so much time on the ball while Maria was rushed every time in their match at the Olympics (admittedly on a fast grass court).

Still, this thread is not about Sharapova. It's about Serena and the facts don't lie, she hasn't had a meaningful win on red clay since she beat Mauresmo on it in 2003.
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 11:28 PM   #134
country flag TheDream

TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilishAttitude View Post
The only bright spot for Maria is that she did take Serena to 3 sets on green clay in 2008, when she was struggling with her shoulder and Serena eventually won that tournament.

It's just a terrible match up, Serena exposes Maria's lack of feel on her returns and exposes her lack of movement out wide and she does it with ease as well, see how she seemed to have so much time on the ball while Maria was rushed every time in their match at the Olympics (admittedly on a fast grass court).

Still, this thread is not about Sharapova. It's about Serena and the facts don't lie, she hasn't had a meaningful win on red clay since she beat Mauresmo on it in 2003.
Serena also skipped 3 claycourt seasons since that time as well.
TheDream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2012, 04:33 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDream View Post
Serena also skipped 3 claycourt seasons since that time as well.
She's had six seasons to have good results and her best is only three SF's at Rome and her best win is over #11 Safina in 2007.

Really, she isn't going to win the French again.