Serena's 2013 Clay Court Strategy - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 30th, 2012, 03:23 AM   #16
country flag jameshazza

jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Serena's 2013 Clay Court Strategy

This starts on the practice court. Her serve isn't as effective on the red dirt and her strokes sit up more on it. For numerous years she's just beaten herself up about it instead of doing something about it. That's OK for the lead up tournaments, but once it get's to RG and you combine this with her crowd issues, it's just disaster. The only thing stopping her is herself.

Her clay game is good enough to win RG as it is, she just needs to man up. However, trying to improve on the surface is the major thing she needs to do and something that IMO she's never tried to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 30th, 2012, 03:30 AM   #17
country flag Stonerpova
`

Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute

Same as last year. Except play Rome all the way through and hope she doesn't get her period during her first round match at Roland Garros.

http://imageshack.us/a/img534/5492/maria1y.pnghttp://img689.imageshack.us/img689/4647/xk7s.png
Sharapova Ivanovic Jankovic Pavs Wozniacki Wickmayer Goerges Cetkovska Vaidisova
Tweet. Tumble. Blog.

Stonerpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 06:31 AM   #18
country flag dencod16

dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshazza View Post
This starts on the practice court. Her serve isn't as effective on the red dirt and her strokes sit up more on it. For numerous years she's just beaten herself up about it instead of doing something about it. That's OK for the lead up tournaments, but once it get's to RG and you combine this with her crowd issues, it's just disaster. The only thing stopping her is herself.

Her clay game is good enough to win RG as it is, she just needs to man up. However, trying to improve on the surface is the major thing she needs to do and something that IMO she's never tried to do.
I don't think it's her game, her game is good at clay, if you actually watch her last few loses it's was all close. It's her temperament that get's her in trouble not her game. Her self-belief just isn't there. She should have been beaten Kuznetsova, Stosur and Razzano but because she gets annoyed at herself quicker in RG, if she just calms down she would have won. Her latest match she gave that love lead in the third because she wasn't in the match at all.
dencod16 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 07:54 AM   #19
country flag Grigorpova

Grigorpova has much to be proud of Grigorpova has much to be proud of Grigorpova has much to be proud of Grigorpova has much to be proud of Grigorpova has much to be proud of Grigorpova has much to be proud of Grigorpova has much to be proud of Grigorpova has much to be proud of Grigorpova has much to be proud of Grigorpova has much to be proud of Grigorpova has much to be proud of

Play Charleston, Stuttgart and Rome, skip Madrid
Grigorpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 08:57 AM   #20
C. Drone
CFO

C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute

She has to avoid Claypova to have a chance.
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 09:32 AM   #21
country flag Fighterpova

Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejmeglekvár View Post
She has to avoid Claypova to have a chance.
This made me lol

No chance in hell Maria would win more than 4 games on red clay
Fighterpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 09:40 AM   #22
country flag MLF

MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute

Her schedule doesn't need to change. She just needs to chill out on court and not somehow get so uptight. Easier said than done I guess but she was as tight as a drum against Razzano and the year she lost against Kuznetsova she'd have won that match if she'd spent more time playing the ball rather than getting fraught and obsessed waiting for bad bounces.
MLF is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 09:41 AM   #23
country flag VIKA?

VIKA? has a reputation beyond repute VIKA? has a reputation beyond repute VIKA? has a reputation beyond repute VIKA? has a reputation beyond repute VIKA? has a reputation beyond repute VIKA? has a reputation beyond repute VIKA? has a reputation beyond repute VIKA? has a reputation beyond repute VIKA? has a reputation beyond repute VIKA? has a reputation beyond repute VIKA? has a reputation beyond repute

Madrid is going back to the red clay
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 09:41 AM   #24
Svetlana)))

Svetlana))) has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana))) has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana))) has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana))) has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana))) has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana))) has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana))) has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana))) has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana))) has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana))) has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana))) has a reputation beyond repute

The years that Serena's RG preparation has been shit have been the years that she performed better in Paris. She just needs to find her feet and game on clay in 1-2 tournaments and that's it.
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 09:49 AM   #25
Olórin

Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute

I think playing in Charleston is a mistake, I've enjoyed her playing there but it clearly does nothing for her FO chances, in fact the two occasions she has won there her form in Paris has been awful. I think it fails as a warm up. Haven't won RG in 10 years? Maybe it's time to change something up.

She needs to play and win Rome. It predicts her FO success. 2002 - win. 2003 - SF choke. 2004 - loss to Capriati. 2007 - not good enough in QF. 2010 - QF/SF choke. 2012 - w/o in both tournaments. Plus people have been saying for years that Rome's red clay has the greatest similarity to RG's clay.

So should be something like: win Miami - have a little break - begin training on clay - Stuttgart - Madrid - Rome - RG

Last edited by Olórin : Sep 30th, 2012 at 09:56 AM.
Olórin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 09:57 AM   #26
country flag doomsday

doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighterpova View Post
This made me lol

No chance in hell Maria would win more than 4 games on red clay
You are the most dramatic Sharapova fan EVER.
doomsday is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 10:26 AM   #27
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute

Just be prepared and willing to hit lots of balls. This isn't grass...Serena seems to sometimes lose patience and forget that this is clay.
bandabou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 10:35 AM   #28
Royals.

Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute

Rome then Roland Garros. Simple as that.
Royals. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 11:14 AM   #29
country flag TennisArt

TennisArt is a splendid one to behold TennisArt is a splendid one to behold TennisArt is a splendid one to behold TennisArt is a splendid one to behold TennisArt is a splendid one to behold TennisArt is a splendid one to behold TennisArt is a splendid one to behold TennisArt is a splendid one to behold TennisArt is a splendid one to behold TennisArt is a splendid one to behold TennisArt is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalLaura View Post
Rome then Roland Garros. Simple as that.
I can agree to this
TennisArt is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 01:47 PM   #30
country flag Fighterpova

Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday View Post
You are the most dramatic Sharapova fan EVER.
Not really.
Maria won 4 or less games in 5 of their last 7 matches. I love Maria to bits, but any delusion that she will ever win a set vs Serena again needs to stop
Fighterpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote