'Journey Women' who became top players for a brief period before returning to norm? - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 30th, 2012, 08:03 AM   #46
country flag homogenius

homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 'Journey Women' who became top players for a brief period before returning to nor

Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorpha View Post
Yeah... Stevenson Peer, Krajicek, Molik, Dokic, Mirza, Razzano, Jankovic.
homogenius is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 30th, 2012, 08:12 AM   #47
country flag Sir Stefwhit

Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 'Journey Women' who became top players for a brief period before returning to nor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPetko View Post
What about Germans: Weingartner, Barrois and Schruff?
I don't know when I think German the first person that comes to my mind is Anna-Lena Groenefeld. In 2008 she was named WTA Player Of the Year. In 2005 she made it to the 3rd round in 3 out of the 4 slams. And in 2006 she had career high of 19.

Then it was back to obscurity...lol. She spent most of her first 5 years on tour outside of the top 100 and after her small window of success she collapsed and dipped to the 70's, then out of the top 100 the following year and then finished her last year outside of the top 500.
The REAL GOAT Rafael Nadal
Future Inductees: Clijsters, C.Evert, A.Agassi, A.Berasategui, N. Zvereva, I.Majoli, M.Safin, Li Na, VIKA, and Del Potro
Sir Stefwhit is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 08:19 AM   #48
country flag Sir Stefwhit

Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute

I've had one player that i really got behind and supported who ended up being journey women ....

I really thought she was going to be something...twas not to be.
The REAL GOAT Rafael Nadal
Future Inductees: Clijsters, C.Evert, A.Agassi, A.Berasategui, N. Zvereva, I.Majoli, M.Safin, Li Na, VIKA, and Del Potro
Sir Stefwhit is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 08:40 AM   #49
country flag Elwin.
-

Elwin. has a reputation beyond repute Elwin. has a reputation beyond repute Elwin. has a reputation beyond repute Elwin. has a reputation beyond repute Elwin. has a reputation beyond repute Elwin. has a reputation beyond repute Elwin. has a reputation beyond repute Elwin. has a reputation beyond repute Elwin. has a reputation beyond repute Elwin. has a reputation beyond repute Elwin. has a reputation beyond repute

There are quite a few players mentioned here, that got f*cked up by injuries etc. , and were unable to return to the top
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 08:58 AM   #50
country flag Sombrerero loco

Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
Cornet.
stop it

Slava Shvedova- Bel Bencic- Alize Lim
Sombrerero loco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 08:59 AM   #51

Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderlander View Post
Cetkovska, Benesova, Garbin all belong to this category too. Had risen in rankings quite significally due to string of good performances and solid play (and some lucky draws too) and then failed to defend their ranking points the next season.
Razzano was such a nice example of a late bloomer but then injuries and that sad story with her fiancee dragged her back to being a journeywoman. I always feel bad for her.
Then you have Vesnina who was a completely different player for just one season and was ranked as high as 22 in the world. I'm afraid Makarova will follow her steps soon
So I highly doubt any of these players and any of those ones you've listed could be referred as top players.
she just made it into top 20

Old Sep 30th, 2012, 09:01 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderlander View Post
Why do so many people mention Cornet here? She was quite an up-and-comer reaching her HR and only then became a journeywoman. She clearly belongs to different category with girls like Oudin, Szavay or even Chakvetadze.
this

Old Sep 30th, 2012, 09:03 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six Feet Under View Post
Cornet.

Dulgheru has only played on tour for 2 years

2009 Warsaw was her WTA debut, and she has been injured 2011/2012.
she won a wta title this year and is a top 50 player

Old Sep 30th, 2012, 09:14 AM   #54
country flag polly

polly has much to be proud of polly has much to be proud of polly has much to be proud of polly has much to be proud of polly has much to be proud of polly has much to be proud of polly has much to be proud of polly has much to be proud of polly has much to be proud of polly has much to be proud of polly has much to be proud of

Clarisa Fernandez and Mara Santangelo
polly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 09:25 AM   #55
country flag polly

polly has much to be proud of polly has much to be proud of polly has much to be proud of polly has much to be proud of polly has much to be proud of polly has much to be proud of polly has much to be proud of polly has much to be proud of polly has much to be proud of polly has much to be proud of polly has much to be proud of

yanina wickmayer is another one, she only had one great result in her career, and that was a semi final at the us open a few years ago, only for that result she would harldy be top 50
polly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 10:22 AM   #56
country flag crazillo

crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Stefwhit View Post
I don't know when I think German the first person that comes to my mind is Anna-Lena Groenefeld. In 2008 she was named WTA Player Of the Year. In 2005 she made it to the 3rd round in 3 out of the 4 slams. And in 2006 she had career high of 19.

Then it was back to obscurity...lol. She spent most of her first 5 years on tour outside of the top 100 and after her small window of success she collapsed and dipped to the 70's, then out of the top 100 the following year and then finished her last year outside of the top 500.
I disagree here. ALGs slip was because of her former coach. She was never the same after that, also physically. The way she took apart Sharapova at Moscow before injuring her ankle wasn't random IMO. I always feel she is a much bigger talent than most of the young Germans we are talking about now.
"There is a saying that there is no friendship in tennis, but I've proven the opposite. After all of them are here, it means that there is friendship and I want to thank them for being here tonight. I hope the fans are happy too."

My blog about my semester spent in China (bilingual in both German and English):
http://crazillo.jimdo.com! Please feel free to make comments!!
crazillo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 10:31 AM   #57
country flag TheHangover

TheHangover has a brilliant future TheHangover has a brilliant future TheHangover has a brilliant future TheHangover has a brilliant future TheHangover has a brilliant future TheHangover has a brilliant future TheHangover has a brilliant future TheHangover has a brilliant future TheHangover has a brilliant future TheHangover has a brilliant future TheHangover has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorpha View Post
Yeah... Stevenson Peer, Krajicek, Molik, Dokic, Mirza, Razzano, Jankovic.
i mean Jankovic? are u serious? Jankovic next to Razzano? If you put Jankovic i think next year by this time we will add also radwanska
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 10:35 AM   #58
country flag duhcity
yaaaas jaja u play soooo good

duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
yanina wickmayer is another one, she only had one great result in her career, and that was a semi final at the us open a few years ago, only for that result she would harldy be top 50
Wickmayer has a back injury and can barely serve. Otherwise, she did quite well in backing up her USO SF, and played a great match against Justine at the AO. After going through the qualies/doping agency fiasco too.

JeJa; Venus; Pavs; Aga; Vika; Kiki; Alize; Keys

tweetweet
duhcity is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 10:38 AM   #59
Royals.

Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute

Jelena Jankovic...
Royals. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 10:39 AM   #60
country flag metamorpha

metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of

I'm not so sure with Dokic and Jankovic. Dokic was No. 4 in the world before but has been a mere journeywoman since then, which is very odd. She had a very brief comeback in AO 2009 and then back to journeywoman again...

Jankovic was a journeywoman before 2006 that I sometimes mistook her for Jelena Kostanic She proved what she was capable of... but then she was slumping and looked like a mere journeywoman again like before.
metamorpha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote