How to Hijack a Car in 48 Seconds! J'burg Style! - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 19th, 2013, 12:57 PM   #1
country flag ranfurly

ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute
How to Hijack a Car in 48 Seconds! J'burg Style!

Source: http://www.iol.co.za/motoring/indust...2#.UotsAFH2_mI

Johannesburg - Armed robbers making off with a white Toyota RAV4 in a brazen hijacking in broad daylight close to the Joburg CBD have been caught on film – and the footage is going viral.

The heist on Saturday took seconds to pull off and happened in full view of other motorists who had to swerve past the scene.

CCTV footage of the hijacking, which was uploaded to YouTube late on Saturday, had registered over 385 000 views by Tuesday morning.

The clip starts with a black car that looks like a VW Golf cutting in front of the RAV4 with its brakes squealing and blocking it.

Then a white Corsa pulls up from the back and blocks the RAV4 from behind.

As four men climb out of the cars and move towards the RAV4, the motorist hesitates, then tries to reverse.

The robbers, who are directed by an armed man in a blue top, wave off a brown stationwagon that comes into view.

As all of this is unfolding, a passenger emerges from the RAV4, his hands in the air.

As the man walks towards the back of the car, a robber snatches what looks like a black bag from the front seat and a white object that also looks like a bag from the back seat.

The mastermind in blue circles, gesturing all the time.

At one stage, the AK-47 in his hands glints in the sun.

The bag snatcher returns and pushes aside a girl, who is in the process of climbing out of the 4x4.

Another back-seat passenger, a woman wearing a pink top, emerges. She loses her balance and something falls out of her hands in her scramble to get out of the car.

The mastermind picks it up at the same time that the robber starts to manhandle the woman, almost dragging her out of his way. The woman’s foot gets caught in one of the seats, the robber grabs and pulls it, and her shoe comes off.

The 4x4 driver has also shifted or been pushed to the passenger side, where he hesitates, then gets out. The men jump into the three cars, turn right and drive off.

The woman in the pink top hobbles off the road. The whole thing is over in 48 seconds.

Police spokeswoman Obakeng Mabaso said the incident took place at about 4.30pm at the corner of Commissioner and Crown streets.

The hijackers made off with the RAV4, R10 000 and two cellphones. The police are investigating. Mabaso said no one had been arrested. -The Star
ranfurly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 19th, 2013, 02:49 PM   #2
country flag Keegan

Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to Hijack a Car in 48 Seconds! J'burg Style!

I saw this on Facebook, and show my friends about it because they don't really believe how dangerous it can be. If only those people used their efficiency for good. South Africa would be a lot better. The level of racism in the comments also shocked me. How do they expect to solve the situation if everyone is blaming each other? It's insane.

There was a comment on that video about a guy saying "I've been to South Africa once, I'm glad this isn't the real South Africa" or some deluded shit like that.
Wimbledon 2004
US Open 2006
Olympic Silver
Victoria Azarenka | Petra Kvitova | Angelique Kerber | Caroline Wozniacki | Serena Williams | Heather Watson | Eugenie Bouchard
Keegan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 03:46 AM   #3
country flag ranfurly

ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute

It's shocking what people say, but not shocking that it's being said, I wouldn't expect much more from the bulk of South Africans. Not to sure it will be fixed, you and I are better of out of there with our fond memories, and lives still intact.

I'm actually heading back for 3 months next week, and this time, will NOT be travelling into J'burg, not because of the video (I've already been a target for attempted hijacking) but because all my friends have moved out from there heh.

Where was that guy living ? Kleinfontein heh.
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 04:08 AM   #4
country flag Williamsser
Lifetime Member

Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute

South Africa is worse now than under apartheid.
Williamsser is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 05:22 AM   #5
country flag Qrystyna

Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah this video has gone viral over here Sadly it's something that happens every day and I am very lucky it's never happened to me, but it's always in the back of my mind. It happens in Cape Town, too... although I don't think the criminals here are as well-organised or as bold as these ones.It's really shocking how organised they are. All I can really say is that it's a good thing those people weren't hurt. Although I don't know why the last person had to be pulled out of the vehicle .... if I were her I'd be running out as fast as my legs could carry me! The article mentions R10,000 was stolen in cash as well, so they probably followed them from a bank. Typical story.

People are saying the police should have been there, but really, the whole thing was over in about 40 seconds, nobody was going to stop them. Of course some of the passing cars could have run them down (nobody was going to stop and help, let's put it that way) but I guess they didn't want to take a chance with all those guns and how skewed the laws are here sometimes.

(formerly known as GrassGOAT)
Qrystyna is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 05:33 AM   #6
country flag $uricate
Step to this. I dare you.

$uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamsser View Post
South Africa is worse now than under apartheid.
Well duh

My aunt goes there on business a lot right now and I always expect her to come back in a bodybag.

Maybe that's an unfair analysis of the city, bit I've only ever seen bad

PopCon 2013.
$uricate is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 05:34 AM   #7
country flag $uricate
Step to this. I dare you.

$uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassGOAT View Post
Yeah this video has gone viral over here Sadly it's something that happens every day and I am very lucky it's never happened to me, but it's always in the back of my mind. It happens in Cape Town, too... although I don't think the criminals here are as well-organised or as bold as these ones.It's really shocking how organised they are. All I can really say is that it's a good thing those people weren't hurt. Although I don't know why the last person had to be pulled out of the vehicle .... if I were her I'd be running out as fast as my legs could carry me! The article mentions R10,000 was stolen in cash as well, so they probably followed them from a bank. Typical story.

People are saying the police should have been there, but really, the whole thing was over in about 40 seconds, nobody was going to stop them. Of course some of the passing cars could have run them down (nobody was going to stop and help, let's put it that way) but I guess they didn't want to take a chance with all those guns and how skewed the laws are here sometimes.
What police?..

PopCon 2013.
$uricate is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 05:43 AM   #8
country flag Qrystyna

Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by $uricate View Post
What police?..
well, exactly.

Old Nov 20th, 2013, 05:46 AM   #9
country flag Qrystyna

Quote:
Originally Posted by $uricate View Post
Well duh

My aunt goes there on business a lot right now and I always expect her to come back in a bodybag.

Maybe that's an unfair analysis of the city, bit I've only ever seen bad
Taking the Gautrain is much safer than driving in JHB. The CBD (where this hijacking took place) is a very dangerous area. Some of the other parts like Sandton are OK but of course would still be considered dangerous by Western standards.

Old Nov 20th, 2013, 05:51 AM   #10
country flag ranfurly

Quote:

I thought about not putting it up on this site, because it's so notoriously known, but the footage was too good.

I've had at times people try and open my doors in Central Capetown while being stationary. and once in Moorreesburg of all places, but they were frightened off by some locals, who seem to be alot more bolder and willing to help in the smaller towns.

The police wouldn't have done much anyway, I think the best course of action would have been for someone there to memorize the number plates and go to the SAPS. They had a AK47, just get the hell out and hand over everything, and then immigrate to Australia or New Zealand lol.

Is Long Street in CT still notorious for street kids ? I havn't been into the central in a very long time
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 05:55 AM   #11
country flag ranfurly

Quote:
Taking the Gautrain is much safer than driving in JHB. The CBD (where this hijacking took place) is a very dangerous area. Some of the other parts like Sandton are OK but of course would still be considered dangerous by Western standards.
If I ever go to Jo'burg, I only ever go to Sandton, and to some family in East Rand, I feel alot safer in Sandton, behind the gates and electric fences, and probably the most secure mall in South Africa, and even then I still feel intimidated using an ATM.
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 06:02 AM   #12
country flag Qrystyna

I do agree that footage was very good at gives people an idea of the things that can happen here on a daily basis. Some people may not believe you. I had somebody bump me from behind at the robots once (err, I should say traffic lights for the non-SA folk here) and I just took off. Nobody here is going to stop and exchange insurance details.

Long Street is very bad for street kids still. I actually had two of them corner me once when I went down an alleyway to visit a friend at a hotel. Just outside of the hotel entrance they threatened to "show me their knife" and stab me if I didn't hand over all my money. I just rolled my eyes and said, "if you really had a knife I'd have already seen it", and buzzed into the hotel. Maybe I was foolish but criminals in this country aren't exactly subtle... if they have a weapon and they want something from you, that weapon will be the first thing you see.

Immigrating is not as easy as many would think. I lived in Canada for a few years but came back to finish my studies. Now I do have many options if I want to go somewhere else, but many people don't. If you don't have a trade that's in-demand or lots and lots of money, or some way into foreign citizenship (like ancestral visas to UK or Germany or Jewish background for Israel), you're going to be stuck here. I live a pretty normal life here but i'm always very cautious. You really have to be.

Old Nov 20th, 2013, 06:14 AM   #13
country flag ranfurly

Quote:
I do agree that footage was very good at gives people an idea of the things that can happen here on a daily basis. Some people may not believe you. I had somebody bump me from behind at the robots once (err, I should say traffic lights for the non-SA folk here) and I just took off. Nobody here is going to stop and exchange insurance details.
I thought eventually I would show some police pictures of the devasation of Plaasmoorde here, but I don't really think it was going to acheive much on an international forum, I think you would understand why I would do that, as with other South Africans.

Quote:
Long Street is very bad for street kids still. I actually had two of them corner me once when I went down an alleyway to visit a friend at a hotel. Just outside of the hotel entrance they threatened to "show me their knife" and stab me if I didn't hand over all my money. I just rolled my eyes and said, "if you really had a knife I'd have already seen it", and buzzed into the hotel. Maybe I was foolish but criminals in this country aren't exactly subtle... if they have a weapon and they want something from you, that weapon will be the first thing you see.
Ok that's good to know still, I arrive back next week, and was hoping that with the progress of the DA/Zille/De Lille taking command, it would have been tidied up a bit. I still believe the WC is the best managed and most progress province of ZA.

Quote:
Immigrating is not as easy as many would think. I lived in Canada for a few years but came back to finish my studies. Now I do have many options if I want to go somewhere else, but many people don't. If you don't have a trade that's in-demand or lots and lots of money, or some way into foreign citizenship (like ancestral visas to UK or Germany or Jewish background for Israel), you're going to be stuck here. I live a pretty normal life here but i'm always very cautious. You really have to be.
We came out not to long ago, selling our farm, (good old Pam golding!) which didn't buy alot of land here in NZ, but we kept a few rental flats on the flats.

What is it that you do ? The stories I hear from alot of friends over there is that when Madibia finally dies, your only option is the Sea, personally, It seems to be a little bit of scaremongering/a little bit of concern none the less I wouldn't want to finish up in False Baai :-)
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 06:25 AM   #14
country flag Qrystyna

WC is a pretty good place to be in SA. There's been lots of protests lately though with the ANCYL starting up shit again about "service delivery". Remember, they said they were going to make this province "ungovernable".

Anyhow, I am in the process of becoming a doctor. Still got a ways to go yet. That's why I have a few options if I decide I want to leave here.
When Madiba dies, I don't think anything different will take place. Maybe there will be some riots or something but nothing worse than usual. It's all based on that one threat by that drunken ANC MP who got pulled over by that white cop. Of course some people like to fuel the fire and contribute to the fearmongering.

You may want to hold off on the pictures of Plaasmoorde. Although I must say that is one thing that hits a bit more close to home for me.

Old Nov 20th, 2013, 06:32 AM   #15
country flag ranfurly

Quote:
WC is a pretty good place to be in SA. There's been lots of protests lately though with the ANCYL starting up shit again about "service delivery". Remember, they said they were going to make this province "ungovernable".

Anyhow, I am in the process of becoming a doctor. Still got a ways to go yet. That's why I have a few options if I decide I want to leave here.
When Madiba dies, I don't think anything different will take place. Maybe there will be some riots or something but nothing worse than usual. It's all based on that one threat by that drunken ANC MP who got pulled over by that white cop. Of course some people like to fuel the fire and contribute to the fearmongering.

You may want to hold off on the pictures of Plaasmoorde. Although I must say that is one thing that hits a bit more close to home for me.
They were starting kak there when we left, but that was with Malema constituents, I did hear he has started his own party now aswell, which does concern me, because alot of uneducated and poor are persuaded by the promises of these "politicians", Still, a pretty strong grip the DA has on WC, from what I read, Helen Zille is great for the province, as is De Lille. I read the papers online and I can't get over the stuff which has happened, the strikes, and the poo throwing...You then look and think is that what you want running the province....

Well good luck with your studies!!