39 Years Ago Today (Sept. 20th) - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Reply

Old Sep 20th, 2012, 04:02 PM   #1
country flag alfajeffster
Senior Member
 
alfajeffster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: United States of America
Posts: 9,301
alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
39 Years Ago Today (Sept. 20th)

Can you believe it's nearly 40 years since the infamous "Battle of the Sexes" was held in the Houston Astrodome? I've said it before, and I'll say it again- Billie Jean brought me into tennis way back then (I was 11 years old) when the whole family sat down in the living room to watch that dog and pony show.
__________________
There is nothing more beautiful than Evonne Goolagong in full flight moving across a tennis court.
alfajeffster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old Sep 21st, 2012, 06:54 AM   #2
country flag alfajeffster
Senior Member
 
alfajeffster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: United States of America
Posts: 9,301
alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 39 Years Ago Today (Sept. 20th)

Oh well, I thought this thread would've gotten at least some response, but I guess not.
__________________
There is nothing more beautiful than Evonne Goolagong in full flight moving across a tennis court.
alfajeffster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2012, 08:51 AM   #3
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter
 
Sam L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Indochine
Posts: 31,728
Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 39 Years Ago Today (Sept. 20th)

You only posted like a few hours ago. It's not like BFTP is the most popular subforum on this forum.

Is this on Youtube?
__________________
Have I not my talent left? Can I not, like Monica, Serena, Marion, acquire for myself what you would never have given me? - Bel Grugnito Diva
Pas de Quatre: Swan Lake, Giselle, The Nutcracker, Coppélia
Sam L is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2012, 11:39 AM   #4
country flag Josus57
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 175
Josus57 is a name known to all Josus57 is a name known to all Josus57 is a name known to all Josus57 is a name known to all Josus57 is a name known to all Josus57 is a name known to all Josus57 is a name known to all Josus57 is a name known to all Josus57 is a name known to all Josus57 is a name known to all Josus57 is a name known to all
Re: 39 Years Ago Today (Sept. 20th)

First off BFTP is my favorite of this forum. I believe that 98% of what I posted is here on BFTP.

Moving on to what was the original topic.

I saw the match on TV, and was thrilled that Billie Jean won. She is not one of my personal favorites, but Ms. King is one person who I have the utmost respect and admiration for. She IMO - Put TENNIS on the map. No, (before anyone says so) I did not mean to say "Women's Tennis" I mean TENNIS! I'll probably get some replies back about that, but that is how I feel.
Josus57 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 12:35 PM   #5
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis
 
tennisvideos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 4,429
tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 39 Years Ago Today (Sept. 20th)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josus57 View Post
First off BFTP is my favorite of this forum. I believe that 98% of what I posted is here on BFTP.

Moving on to what was the original topic.

I saw the match on TV, and was thrilled that Billie Jean won. She is not one of my personal favorites, but Ms. King is one person who I have the utmost respect and admiration for. She IMO - Put TENNIS on the map. No, (before anyone says so) I did not mean to say "Women's Tennis" I mean TENNIS! I'll probably get some replies back about that, but that is how I feel.
Well I never saw the Battle live, but there has probably been no other event that put tennis on the map like this did. I mean the famous WCT Finals between Rosewall and Laver did incredible things for tennis but I don't think they can rate compared to what Billie-Jean King did ... and esp womens tennis.

I was never a fan of BJK back in the 70s BUT she left me with so many incredible memories from my childhood of watching her competing like it was to the death in a number of Wimbledon Finals. And I was blessed to meet her in the early 80s in Australia and she was an absolute joy and we have been in touch a lot since with trading footage etc.

By the late 70s, I actually did become a big King fan and was especially rooting for her in the famous WImbledon comebacks in the early 80s. It was inspirational stuff.

And yes, hard to believe almost 40 years have flown by since that date Alfa! I have been watching tennis since 1971 - it's hard to believe! Thank God for Video and DVD so I can relive so many memories (when I get time) LOL.

As an aside - I think this is my first stop by here in a long time. But I love dropping by. I am just recovering from 4 horrendous days of food poisoning ... but thankfully am finally feeling better. I hope all of you here are doing well and in good health. It's the most important thing IMO.
__________________
Fave recent players: .. Seles .. Hingis .. Serena .. Venus .. Federer .. Roddick .. Hewitt .. Haas .. Rafter .. Safin .. Radwanska ..
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 04:36 PM   #6
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 17,706
Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 39 Years Ago Today (Sept. 20th)

Glad to hear you are better TV-there are few things worse than food poisoning.

This is one match I have yet to see. All I recall is a party and lots of bets-with men doing chores for the next week after LOL.

No doubt it put a bang in the tennis boom of the 1970s in the US. From 1973 to 1981 tennis grabbed more headlines day to day than it has before or since.

And a lot of the credit for that goes to Madame Superstar, as Tinling coined BJK. She had the combination of personality and talent to send a jolt of electricity through the sport.

Is the crowd for the Astrodome match still the biggest in tennis history? Hard to believe 30,000 came out that night.

We will celebrate 1973 big time next year. It was a year when so many favs were active-Billie Jean, Court, Evert, Goolagong, and of course the debut of Martina Navratilova.

The book "A Long Way Baby" is a perrenial favorite of mine as it covers the women's tour that year. Though more or less favorable to King, the book was so candid Billie Jean got Grace Liectenstein banned from access to the Slims tour.

2 other books cover the Riggs match:

A Necessary Spectacle (2006) by Selena Roberts.

http://www.amazon.com/Necessary-Spec...sary+spectacle

Game, Set, and Match, Billie jean King and the Revolution in Women;s Sports, by Susan Ware (2011)
http://www.amazon.com/Game-Set-Match...sary+spectacle
Rollo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 11:23 PM   #7
country flag alfajeffster
Senior Member
 
alfajeffster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: United States of America
Posts: 9,301
alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 39 Years Ago Today (Sept. 20th)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisvideos View Post
As an aside - I think this is my first stop by here in a long time. But I love dropping by. I am just recovering from 4 horrendous days of food poisoning ... but thankfully am finally feeling better. I hope all of you here are doing well and in good health. It's the most important thing IMO.
Here here! Next time, just eat 2 Broiled Balmain Bugs and call me in the morning. I'm still tempted to have some shipped from down under- never got to go anyplace upscale with dumb dumb as my host- talk about a penny pincher of the worst kind.
__________________
There is nothing more beautiful than Evonne Goolagong in full flight moving across a tennis court.
alfajeffster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2012, 02:43 AM   #8
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis
 
tennisvideos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 4,429
tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 39 Years Ago Today (Sept. 20th)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Glad to hear you are better TV-there are few things worse than food poisoning.

This is one match I have yet to see. All I recall is a party and lots of bets-with men doing chores for the next week after LOL.

No doubt it put a bang in the tennis boom of the 1970s in the US. From 1973 to 1981 tennis grabbed more headlines day to day than it has before or since.

And a lot of the credit for that goes to Madame Superstar, as Tinling coined BJK. She had the combination of personality and talent to send a jolt of electricity through the sport.

Is the crowd for the Astrodome match still the biggest in tennis history? Hard to believe 30,000 came out that night.

We will celebrate 1973 big time next year. It was a year when so many favs were active-Billie Jean, Court, Evert, Goolagong, and of course the debut of Martina Navratilova.

The book "A Long Way Baby" is a perrenial favorite of mine as it covers the women's tour that year. Though more or less favorable to King, the book was so candid Billie Jean got Grace Liectenstein banned from access to the Slims tour.

2 other books cover the Riggs match:

A Necessary Spectacle (2006) by Selena Roberts.

http://www.amazon.com/Necessary-Spec...sary+spectacle

Game, Set, and Match, Billie jean King and the Revolution in Women;s Sports, by Susan Ware (2011)
http://www.amazon.com/Game-Set-Match...sary+spectacle
It's not the greatest match ... junk baller gets out-junked and is too knackered to make a real match of it. BUT it was the headline match of history perhaps (Lenglen v Wills back in the day).

1973 was perhaps the most exciting year for me with so many great names competing ... Court, King, Evert, Goolagong, Wade, Durr, Richey, Stove, Reid etc. What a year of superstars!

Yes I love "A Long Way Baby". I must get it out and have another read.
__________________
Fave recent players: .. Seles .. Hingis .. Serena .. Venus .. Federer .. Roddick .. Hewitt .. Haas .. Rafter .. Safin .. Radwanska ..
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios