cxfhserdzrhhw5yuwhs4e5rusxtudrhj - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2012, 11:51 PM   #46
country flag Anabelcroft
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,768
Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future
Re: Why is Graf overlooked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cehowardrx7 View Post

Could somebody tell me the DIFFERENCE? Why was my thread deleted and this one allowed??They both are talking about the same thing!



Thanks in advance,
Maybe because you and Gunther Parche have something in common

You both are obsessive about Graf
Anabelcroft is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old Sep 18th, 2012, 11:53 PM   #47
Lucemferre
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,544
Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why is Graf overlooked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabelcroft View Post
Maybe because you and I have something in common

We both are obsessive about Graf
Well said.
Lucemferre is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 11:53 PM   #48
country flag Anabelcroft
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,768
Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future
Re: Why is Graf overlooked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweety Darling View Post
In these somewhat pointless GOAT threads it seems Graf is overlooked when she probably is the GOAT. No way is Serena overtaking her grand slam tally of 22 or weeks at number 1 - so how people can say serena's GOAT is weird.
On this forum there isn't any poll in which she is not regarded as the greatest and as I said either here on this forum or in some others including Australian Open official site and latest tennis channel magazine greatest rankings:

http://www.tennischannel.com/goat/gallery4.aspx

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/...373295547.html

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthrea...test+poll+graf

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthrea...test+poll+graf

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthrea...test+poll+graf

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthrea...test+poll+graf

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthrea...test+poll+graf

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthrea...test+poll+graf

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthrea...test+poll+graf

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthrea...test+poll+graf

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthrea...test+poll+graf

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthrea...test+poll+graf

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthrea...test+poll+graf

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthrea...test+poll+graf

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthrea...test+poll+graf

http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/news?slug=ycn-8994351

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=153292

http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/news?slug=ycn-9010645

Hope you checked you enjoyed
Anabelcroft is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 11:55 PM   #49
country flag Anabelcroft
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,768
Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future
Re: Why is Graf overlooked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucemferre View Post
Well said.


At least I don't start threads about her
Anabelcroft is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 01:21 AM   #50
country flag acetoace
Senior Member
 
acetoace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 953
acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why is Graf overlooked?

I don't think Graf is overlooked. Some would like to consider her the GOAT but I do not see it that way. Personally, I hold that same point employed to counter that Serena isn't the GOAT also holds for Graf. The premise was that it is unfair to judge players accomplishments across eras given varied factors that play into each era i.e. technology, diet, level of competition, advancement in training methods and player's personal level of play (talent y skills) etc. I say fair enough to that..... but if that applies to Serena, why shouldn't same premise apply to Graf?

When one juxtaposes match videos of old (graf's era vs new generation of players), something undeniable sure stands out to the eye. For me, based on training requirements these days and match videos, no way I will consider Graf GOAT over players like Serena, Henin & Venus regardless of numbers since numbers can only be measured relative to quality of competition of the era in question. To me, that isn't saying that Graf did not accomplish more in numbers than Venus/Henin or (Serena atm), what it says is that Graf's numbers were able to be attained based on her era's quality of play & competition.

In my view, salient question to consider is.......if it is right to utilize the fantasy standard of judging across eras (in support of argument that Graf is the GOAT), the question then becomes, given all we know of Graf (her match videos) vs level of play & competition in Serena's generation and current era, would Graf have garnered in said eras all the laurels she garnered in her era? Answer: while likely not in Graf's case, the reverse probably would be the case for Serena based on match videos till date IMHO!

In the end, to be fair to the players and the game, I do not think it is right to judge accomplishments across eras. To that extent, [b]I consider Serena & Graf the best of their respective generation. Graf IS NOT THE GOAT and I see time and history arriving at same conclusion not long from now. IMO, to hold otherwise carries with it a large degree of unfairness to succeeding generations! Whichever way it is looked at, ultimately, "GOAT status" is a myth many are unwilling to admit to atm.
acetoace is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 01:33 AM   #51
country flag Anabelcroft
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,768
Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future
Re: Why is Graf overlooked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by acetoace View Post
I don't think Graf is overlooked. Some would like to consider her the GOAT but I do not see it that way.Personally...Graf IS NOT THE GOAT and I see time and history arriving at same conclusion not long from now.IMO...
Well,this case is not about one personal thinking based on "IMO" and such,but based on the will of majority of voters and experts...as you could see in the links I posted above!

And it's because of them she is where she is placed,on top,no matter what we personally think...

Universal thinking decides the tennis history and who is the greatest upon their achievements in tennis...not one singular wishful thinking which is in minority...

Last edited by Anabelcroft : Sep 19th, 2012 at 01:45 AM.
Anabelcroft is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 01:39 AM   #52
country flag Anabelcroft
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,768
Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future
Re: Why is Graf overlooked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by acetoace View Post
Graf did not accomplish more in numbers than Venus/Henin or (Serena atm), what it says is that Graf's numbers were able to be attained based on her era's quality of play & competition.


And if you even exclude all her previous achievements,even semi-retired Graf still leaded in H2H against so called new generation of players,such as Williams sisters together,Hingis,Clijsters and Mauresmo(13-5)(not to mention Lucic,Kournikova etc.) which says that even far from her peak she could play against this new generation of players who were already beating everybody else...

so,there even isn't any point for calling them greater than her!

Last edited by Anabelcroft : Sep 19th, 2012 at 01:48 AM.
Anabelcroft is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 01:56 AM   #53
Lucemferre
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,544
Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why is Graf overlooked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by acetoace View Post

When one juxtaposes match videos of old (graf's era vs new generation of players), something undeniable sure stands out to the eye. For me, based on training requirements these days and match videos, no way I will consider Graf GOAT over players like Serena, Henin & Venus regardless of numbers since numbers can only be measured relative to quality of competition of the era in question. To me, that isn't saying that Graf did not accomplish more in numbers than Venus/Henin or (Serena atm), what it says is that Graf's numbers were able to be attained based on her era's quality of play & competition.
Henin, Venus? You must be kidding. What stands out to me is Graf's incredibly modern game in an era that looks like slow motion compared to today. You don't feel as though you're watching a match from the 80s/90s while watching Graf. Her game is timeless. I have no doubt she would be an all-time great in any era.
Lucemferre is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 02:14 AM   #54
country flag Excelscior
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 11,267
Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why is Graf overlooked?

Never knew or realized Graf was was ever overlooked, even on here.

As far Serena being mentioned for recent GOAT talk/threads; that's just the reaction (or overreaction) from her winning the last two majors and Olympics (plus those 15 majors). That's quite understandable. You would expect that.

What else is there to talk about between the US Open and Tokyo?

You would think that they would come more to their senses later.
Excelscior is online now View My Blog!  
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 02:44 AM   #55
country flag UpChuckSerious
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3
UpChuckSerious is just really nice UpChuckSerious is just really nice UpChuckSerious is just really nice UpChuckSerious is just really nice UpChuckSerious is just really nice UpChuckSerious is just really nice UpChuckSerious is just really nice UpChuckSerious is just really nice UpChuckSerious is just really nice UpChuckSerious is just really nice UpChuckSerious is just really nice
Re: Why is Graf overlooked?

Her record might look and sound more impressive than it is. Her forehand is highly regarded and she is remembered for being a great athlete, but it's debatable whether she commands the kind of non-stop reverence for her qualitative abilities that one might expect for someone who achieved so much and achieved so much so recently. In fact, that Serena has joined the GOAT discussion despite being less accomplished and less committed during her career reflects of this to an extent, I believe.

Quantitatively, Graf is ahead of the pack. But if you look at the numbers and think she is still regarded as the standard for high quality tennis in her sport you would be mistaken. And that, to me, is why she is "overlooked."
UpChuckSerious is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 02:51 AM   #56
country flag Nicolás89
Senior Member
 
Nicolás89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 19,517
Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why is Graf overlooked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
Never knew or realized Graf was was ever overlooked, even on here.

As far Serena being mentioned for recent GOAT talk/threads; that's just the reaction (or overreaction) from her winning the last two majors and Olympics (plus those 15 majors). That's quite understandable. You would expect that.

What else is there to talk about between the US Open and Tokyo?

You would think that they would come more to their senses later.
No. She has done that in the past (not the olympics though) already, people is discussing this now because Serena is simply playing better than any other woman who has played the game before. Just that.
__________________
LEGEND. Nicole. Caro. Aga. Sloane. Taylor.
Nicolás89 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 03:05 AM   #57
country flag capcl
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 43
capcl capcl capcl capcl capcl capcl capcl capcl capcl capcl capcl
Re: Why is Graf overlooked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweety Darling View Post
In these somewhat pointless GOAT threads it seems Graf is overlooked when she probably is the GOAT. No way is Serena overtaking her grand slam tally of 22 or weeks at number 1 - so how people can say serena's GOAT is weird.
Graf doesn't hold the record, Court does. 24 is the record.
capcl is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 03:12 AM   #58
country flag AcesHigh
Senior Member
 
AcesHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 10,172
AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why is Graf overlooked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matías. View Post
No. She has done that in the past (not the olympics though) already, people is discussing this now because Serena is simply playing better than any other woman who has played the game before. Just that.
That is so hilariously wrong, you must be joking.
__________________
I always wanted to be somebody. If I made it, it's half because I was game enough to take a lot of punishment along the way and half because there were a lot of people who cared enough to help me.
-Althea Gibson


Quote:
Originally Posted by darrinbaker00 View Post
When will you learn that "pushers" never make it past the club level, let alone #1 on the WTA computer? Will it be too late?
AcesHigh is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 03:15 AM   #59
country flag acetoace
Senior Member
 
acetoace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 953
acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why is Graf overlooked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabelcroft View Post
Well,this case is not about one personal thinking based on "IMO" and such,but based on the will of majority of voters and experts...as you could see in the links I posted above!

And it's because of them she is where she is placed,on top,no matter what we personally think...

Universal thinking decides the tennis history and who is the greatest upon their achievements in tennis...not one singular wishful thinking which is in minority...



Of course, "universal thinking" stands forever, right? My friend, "universal thinking" are not always correct nor always true. Infact, in our current world, majority are fools...... so what is your point? I mean, there was a time when "universal thinking" held to the debunked view that the world was flat. Someone challenged that thinking, right? Eventhough the challenge was resisted by many initially, yet, old thinking was abandoned in the end or I'm I wrong?

That said, I still stand by my position and reject the notion that just because majority has held a belief for a long time, therefore same thinking should continue. In my considered view, as tennis progresses and different players evolve over generations, sooner or later, the current "universal thinking" will sound idiotic, senseless and repurgnant in the face of facts evolving.

Again, Graf is not the GOAT based on premise I stated in earlier post. What more, I doubt I'm the only one holding my poistion. You just need to dig more for contrary view (and there are many). I suggest u start on TF in case u don't like to dig deep.
acetoace is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 03:18 AM   #60
country flag Nicolás89
Senior Member
 
Nicolás89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 19,517
Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why is Graf overlooked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh View Post
That is so hilariously wrong, you must be joking.
No I'm not. IDK how anyone can deny with a straight face that Serena's recent form is unbeatable? I bet Martina & Steffi would agree.
__________________
LEGEND. Nicole. Caro. Aga. Sloane. Taylor.
Nicolás89 is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios