Man freed after 17 years, - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 7th, 2014, 03:06 PM   #1
country flag mykarma

mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute
Man freed after 17 years,

Innocent Man Freed After 17 Years Following Review of Disgraced NYPD Detective’s Cases
June 4, 2014 | Posted by Taylor Gordon
Tagged With: Arrested for murder, Louis Scarcella, Man freed after 17 years, New York man free, Roger Logan, Roger Logan freed, wrongful convictions

Roger Logan freed after wrongful murder conviction

Source: NY Post

The New York man who was wrongfully convicted of murder for a 1997 Brooklyn homicide was finally released from jail Tuesday after it was revealed that the key eyewitness was incarcerated at the time she claimed to have seen him before the murder.

Roger Logan spent 17 years behind bars after he fell victim to the work of a disgraced detective.

The witness, who was provided by former New York Police Department Detective Louis Scarcella, had actually been in jail during the time she claimed to have spotted Logan in the area shortly before the murder took place.

“That testimony – whether by design or by mistake – was false,” said Assistant District Attorney Mark Hale.

Logan has always maintained his innocence and says he is relieved that he is finally free.

“It’s been a long wait,” he said after being released. “I want to just taste the freedom.”

Logan managed to keep his good spirits intact as he joked about wanting to get out of the clothes he had to wear to court.

“And I want to get out of these crummy clothes,” he told reporters as he pointed to his khaki pants. “It’s definitely not me.”

Outside of the Brooklyn Supreme Court, Logan was seen taking “selfies” with his niece and reuniting with other family members.
Louis Scarcella

Louis Scarcella

His lawyer, Harold Baker, said he was happy Logan was a free man but was shocked by Scarcella’s apparent lack of integrity.

“That they went into so much trouble to frame this person shocks the conscience,” Baker said.

Unfortunately, Logan is only one of many who may have been put behind bars thanks to Scarcella’s methods.

Another man, David Ranta, was placed behind bars after an eyewitness was coached to pick him out of a lineup.

Upon further investigation, the Conviction Integrity Unit of the Brooklyn District Attorney’s Office determined that police had mishandled Ranta’s case.

He was released after spending more than 20 years in jail.

After learning that Ranta had been exonerated, Logan reached out to prosecutors to have his own case evaluated.

More than 50 cases that Scarcella handled before retiring have been under review to ensure no other innocent person is spending time in jail because of the detective’s tactics.

The new DA has already cleared six other men whose cases were connected to Scarcella. All of the men spent at least 20 years behind bars and all of them were innocent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 7th, 2014, 03:08 PM   #2
country flag tennisprince

tennisprince has much to be proud of tennisprince has much to be proud of tennisprince has much to be proud of tennisprince has much to be proud of tennisprince has much to be proud of tennisprince has much to be proud of tennisprince has much to be proud of tennisprince has much to be proud of tennisprince has much to be proud of tennisprince has much to be proud of tennisprince has much to be proud of
Re: Man freed after 17 years,

He has lost the majority of his years, what must it feel like to be freed after this time especially after he was innocent.
tennisprince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 03:11 PM   #3
country flag mykarma

mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykarma View Post
Innocent Man Freed After 17 Years Following Review of Disgraced NYPD Detective’s Cases
June 4, 2014 | Posted by Taylor Gordon
Tagged With: Arrested for murder, Louis Scarcella, Man freed after 17 years, New York man free, Roger Logan, Roger Logan freed, wrongful convictions

Roger Logan freed after wrongful murder conviction

Source: NY Post

The New York man who was wrongfully convicted of murder for a 1997 Brooklyn homicide was finally released from jail Tuesday after it was revealed that the key eyewitness was incarcerated at the time she claimed to have seen him before the murder.

Roger Logan spent 17 years behind bars after he fell victim to the work of a disgraced detective.

The witness, who was provided by former New York Police Department Detective Louis Scarcella, had actually been in jail during the time she claimed to have spotted Logan in the area shortly before the murder took place.

“That testimony – whether by design or by mistake – was false,” said Assistant District Attorney Mark Hale.

Logan has always maintained his innocence and says he is relieved that he is finally free.

“It’s been a long wait,” he said after being released. “I want to just taste the freedom.”

Logan managed to keep his good spirits intact as he joked about wanting to get out of the clothes he had to wear to court.

“And I want to get out of these crummy clothes,” he told reporters as he pointed to his khaki pants. “It’s definitely not me.”

Outside of the Brooklyn Supreme Court, Logan was seen taking “selfies” with his niece and reuniting with other family members.
Louis Scarcella

Louis Scarcella

His lawyer, Harold Baker, said he was happy Logan was a free man but was shocked by Scarcella’s apparent lack of integrity.

“That they went into so much trouble to frame this person shocks the conscience,” Baker said.

Unfortunately, Logan is only one of many who may have been put behind bars thanks to Scarcella’s methods.

Another man, David Ranta, was placed behind bars after an eyewitness was coached to pick him out of a lineup.

Upon further investigation, the Conviction Integrity Unit of the Brooklyn District Attorney’s Office determined that police had mishandled Ranta’s case.

He was released after spending more than 20 years in jail.

After learning that Ranta had been exonerated, Logan reached out to prosecutors to have his own case evaluated.

More than 50 cases that Scarcella handled before retiring have been under review to ensure no other innocent person is spending time in jail because of the detective’s tactics.

The new DA has already cleared six other men whose cases were connected to Scarcella. All of the men spent at least 20 years behind bars and all of them were innocent.
More than 50 more prisoners may also be exonerated even though some have already died. My question is what type of punishment happens to the scum of the earth detective. The sad thing is this happens all to often.
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 03:18 PM   #4
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

Imagine if NY state had capital capital punishment, Logan could have been executed already.

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 11. 2013
Next Update Date: Post 2014 RG
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 04:49 PM   #5
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute

Glad that he's been freed. Still, to be locked for 17 years for something one didn't do . . . . man . . . that sucks!!! Not that it would make it okay, but I'd like to see the state have to provide compensation in such instances. At least 20K for each year.
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 05:13 PM   #6
country flag Mynarco
EIFORYA

Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute

surely the man can sue the government for damages, can't he?

Suicide: 08 Montreal 08 Stuttgart 09 USO 11 Eastbourne Stanford 13 Sydney Highest ranked #03
Tennis Tipping: 09 Cincy D 10 Brisbane D Copenhagen SD 11 Palermo D Beijing S 12 Pattaya S Stuttgart Baku D 13 Palermo D 14 Monterrey D(SCHR: 17 DCHR: 10)
Mynarco is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 05:43 PM   #7
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute

^ I don't know. Maybe. But who knows how that would go. I'd like to see it be set.

-----
Okay. It looks like some states do have some amount of compensation.

Quote:
Up to 40% of those released from prison after being wrongfully incarcerated receive no compensation.

Some states – and the federal government in some circumstances – now offer compensation to exonorees. Many do not. Those that do not currently offer compensation to the wrongfully convicted are: Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Washington and Wyoming.

Even those that do offer compensation may impose limits that make them essentially meaningless. New Hampshire, for example, caps compensation at $20,000 and Louisiana caps compensation at $250,000 irrespective of the length of time served. Montana only provides educational aid.

Florida became the most recent state to make news when it debated a bill that would grant William Dillon compensation in the amount of $1.35 million for spending 27 years in prison for a murder he did not commit (that works out to $50,000 per year). That approaches the Innocence Project’s recommendations which suggest a “minimum of $50,000, untaxed, per year of wrongful imprisonment and $100,000, untaxed, per year on death row” based on the federal government’s standard created through the Innocence Protection Act of 2004.
The Price of Freedom: What Happens to the Wrongfully Convicted?

Last edited by pov : Jun 7th, 2014 at 05:49 PM.
pov is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 06:59 PM   #8
country flag mykarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valanga View Post
surely the man can sue the government for damages, can't he?
Depends on the state but it takes years and he'll probably be dead. The kids framed for the Central Park murders sued and won but the state challenged the cost and I believe that at least one of them has died.
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 07:13 PM   #9
country flag Mynarco
EIFORYA

Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Depends on the state but it takes years and he'll probably be dead. The kids framed for the Central Park murders sued and won but the state challenged the cost and I believe that at least one of them has died.
Poor souls

Suicide: 08 Montreal 08 Stuttgart 09 USO 11 Eastbourne Stanford 13 Sydney Highest ranked #03
Tennis Tipping: 09 Cincy D 10 Brisbane D Copenhagen SD 11 Palermo D Beijing S 12 Pattaya S Stuttgart Baku D 13 Palermo D 14 Monterrey D(SCHR: 17 DCHR: 10)
Mynarco is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 08:23 PM   #10
country flag mykarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valanga View Post
Poor souls
Less than half the states have compensation no matter how many years you served or if you were set up by a rouge cop/prosecutor. Yeah, this is America for ya.
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 09:17 PM   #11
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Less than half the states have compensation no matter how many years you served or if you were set up by a rouge cop/prosecutor. Yeah, this is America for ya.
If those convicted and exonerated were from upper class, I am sure there would have been laws on the books by now requiring that the wrongfully convicted be compensated for potential earning power.
Smart lawyers would have hired a SWAT team of accountants and actuarials to figure out what would have the project income of individual during the years they spent beyond bars, plus punitive damages for having severely ruined and damaged the exonerated individual's reputation.

The legal team that usually take on these care non-profit organization or a university professor and his/her graduate students, and they do the job pro-bono have no expertise nor the interest to pursuit compensation.

For those clients so inclined, the legal would advise them to become an advocate the wrongfully convicted by coaching them in public speaking; this way, they can earn an income while they are making the transition to integrate normal life. But only a small minority are able to take on this challenge, most are left to be guided by their immediate family which is usually ill preprared for this type of support.

Last edited by tennisbum79 : Jun 7th, 2014 at 09:29 PM.
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 10:36 PM   #12
country flag pov

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum79 View Post
If those convicted and exonerated were from upper class, I am sure there would have been laws on the books by now requiring that the wrongfully convicted be compensated for potential earning power.
As has been stated - there are such laws in the books. It varies by state. There's a link above to a very in-depth and informative article. In most cases though, the compensation is IMO not nearly enough.

To me, it's about more than just compensation for potential earnings. It's also about making amends for what I see as a cruel failure of the legal system. Not that anything can make up for it but still . . .
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 10:46 PM   #13
country flag tennisbum79

Quote:
Originally Posted by pov
As has been stated - there are such laws in the books. It varies by state. There's a link above to a very in-depth and informative article. In most cases though, the compensation is IMO not nearly enough.

To me, it's about more than just compensation for potential earnings. It's also about making amends for what I see as a cruel failure of the legal system. Not that anything can make up for it but still . . .

EDIT: If there is such a law, why is it up to 40% of the exonerated are not compensated

Here is excerpt from one of your posts

Quote:
Quote:

Up to 40% of those released from prison after being wrongfully incarcerated receive no compensation.

Some states – and the federal government in some circumstances – now offer compensation to exonorees. Many do not. Those that do not currently offer compensation to the wrongfully convicted are: Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Washington and Wyoming.
Note the ise of Some of Many.

"Many" refers to states that do not offer compensation. "Some" refer to states that do offer compensation. __________________

Last edited by tennisbum79 : Jun 8th, 2014 at 12:36 AM.
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 12:27 AM   #14
country flag buddyholly

buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum79 View Post
If there is such, why is it only 40% of the exonerated are compensated

The article says that up to 40% receive no compensation.

Think about it.
buddyholly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote