Planning a trip to Ireland/England - Advice Needed! - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 08:18 PM   #1
country flag NyCPsU

NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute
Planning a trip to Ireland/England - Advice Needed!

Hi there! Some friends and I are going to take an 8-9 day trip to Ireland and England in the end of August/beginning of September timeframe. We are centering the trip around a football game at Croke Park on Saturday August 30th. Most likely flying into Dublin on Wed the 27th, stay in Ireland Wed through Saturday. Then Sunday we were thinking of taking the ferry over to Liverpool. Spending the day there or in Manchester. Then heading to London for a few days and heading out on Thursday the 4th. Has anyone done a trip like this and have any advice of what to do and what not to do? Or any advice from locals on the best way to get around and where we should really maximize our time? Literally the only thing set in stone at this point is being in Dublin on Saturday the 30th for that game. We also prefer to do Dublin to London and not vice versa. Thanks!!!

*Stephens*Hampton*Riske*Dulgheru*

*Anyone playing Wickmayer*
NyCPsU is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 08:20 PM   #2
country flag kwilliams

kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Planning a trip to Ireland/England - Advice Needed!

Is that a game of American football? I think I saw that there's going to be one on in Croke Park over the summer.

What kind of things do you like to do when you travel?

http://flickr.com/photos/keithmaguire/
kwilliams is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 08:26 PM   #3
country flag Sisyphus

Sisyphus has a reputation beyond repute Sisyphus has a reputation beyond repute Sisyphus has a reputation beyond repute Sisyphus has a reputation beyond repute Sisyphus has a reputation beyond repute Sisyphus has a reputation beyond repute Sisyphus has a reputation beyond repute Sisyphus has a reputation beyond repute Sisyphus has a reputation beyond repute Sisyphus has a reputation beyond repute Sisyphus has a reputation beyond repute

Liverpool and Manchester are both shitholes. You'll probably get stabbed. If, for some unfathomable reason, you really want to spend a day somewhere up north go to Chester.

Cornet
Sisyphus is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 08:58 PM   #4
country flag NyCPsU

NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilliams View Post
Is that a game of American football? I think I saw that there's going to be one on in Croke Park over the summer.

What kind of things do you like to do when you travel?
Yep, its a college football game. We will be a group of about 8. Everyone is in their mid twenties. Definitely looking for a good mix of fun nightlife and hitting the best tourist attractions by day.

Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 08:58 PM   #5
country flag NyCPsU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Watchmaker View Post
Liverpool and Manchester are both shitholes. You'll probably get stabbed. If, for some unfathomable reason, you really want to spend a day somewhere up north go to Chester.
Was just thinking we would stop there on the way to London, but if it makes more sense to just go straight to London we could do that also.

Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 09:22 PM   #6
country flag kwilliams

kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyCPsU View Post
Yep, its a college football game. We will be a group of about 8. Everyone is in their mid twenties. Definitely looking for a good mix of fun nightlife and hitting the best tourist attractions by day.
I'm too old now to give you advice on nightlife! I just haven't had much time to go out much in the last few months. Plus I was in Istanbul for the last few months of 2013. So, aside from gay bars, I'm not sure where is currently good. If you're going out in Templebar be choosy about where you go. Some Dubliners think it's funny that so many tourists go out there - there are often far more tourists than locals, but I think what's so wrong about meeting other tourists and drinking with them! Some bars in Templebar attract locals too. Also Templebar is is just full of bars - other places are too but not quite like Templebar.

Anyway, make sure you pre-game since bars can be expensive here. Some have some pretty good cocktail deals or happy hours though.

Remind me to give you some better tips closer to your trip. I'll ask my young friends. Although so many people seem to go to Coppers and Dicey's these days. These places almost always have very cheap drinks - some days exceedingly cheap drinks. Most nights Coppers is a meat market full which I'm told is full of culchies (hicks)
and later in the night it's just a place for people to hook up...usually the people who couldn't hook up elsewhere. I don't need to be in a bar full of pretentious pretty people...but I don't really need to be in a club full of Dublin's rejects either! Maybe the stories are far worse than it actually is but I'm not too keen to find out. I fear some of my friends will want to go there tomorrow night though!! The place attracts loads of Brazilians too but the same goes for them.

What about daytime activities? Do you have any ideas about what you'd like to see?

Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 09:29 PM   #7
country flag shap_half

shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilliams View Post
I'm too old now to give you advice on nightlife! I just haven't had much time to go out much in the last few months. Plus I was in Istanbul for the last few months of 2013. So, aside from gay bars, I'm not sure where is currently good. If you're going out in Templebar be choosy about where you go. Some Dubliners think it's funny that so many tourists go out there - there are often far more tourists than locals, but I think what's so wrong about meeting other tourists and drinking with them! Some bars in Templebar attract locals too. Also Templebar is is just full of bars - other places are too but not quite like Templebar.

Anyway, make sure you pre-game since bars can be expensive here. Some have some pretty good cocktail deals or happy hours though.

Remind me to give you some better tips closer to your trip. I'll ask my young friends. Although so many people seem to go to Coppers and Dicey's these days. These places almost always have very cheap drinks - some days exceedingly cheap drinks. Most nights Coppers is a meat market full which I'm told is full of culchies (hicks)
and later in the night it's just a place for people to hook up...usually the people who couldn't hook up elsewhere. I don't need to be in a bar full of pretentious pretty people...but I don't really need to be in a club full of Dublin's rejects either! Maybe the stories are far worse than it actually is but I'm not too keen to find out. I fear some of my friends will want to go there tomorrow night though!! The place attracts loads of Brazilians too but the same goes for them.

What about daytime activities? Do you have any ideas about what you'd like to see?
This whole thing is hilarious.

I remember a bar called Hogan's being quite fun. But that was like 6 years ago. Is it still popular?

I may be headed back to Ireland in June, meself.
shap_half is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 09:38 PM   #8
country flag V-MAC
blurring the lines between the real and the fake

V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute

After Dublin, I'd recommend heading up north to Belfast. It is only two hours or so on the bus to get there and it is a little gem of a city with buzzing nightlife, culture and is extremely affordable.
In London, I'd recommend staying in the Southwark district of the city....it is a perfect location close enough to everything but also just nicely out of the way of the tourist "hustle and bustle" It is also very safe and depending on where you stay, you might be lucky to get nice views of the Shard and even Canary Wharf from your room.
Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 10:24 PM   #9
country flag kwilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by shap_half View Post
This whole thing is hilarious.

I remember a bar called Hogan's being quite fun. But that was like 6 years ago. Is it still popular?

I may be headed back to Ireland in June, meself.
Yeah, I used to quite like Hogan's meself but I haven't been in a good while. It's a very convivial place! I sometimes like bars that are just full with the din of conversation - without it being too cacophonous. As I said though, I'm getting old so the fact that it's always quite full and often quite loud I might opt for the Market Bar or No Name (on the same street) which also tend to be quite full and teeming with the noise of conversation but just that slight notch lower on the loud-o-metre!

Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 10:54 PM   #10
country flag Jack.

Jack. has a reputation beyond repute Jack. has a reputation beyond repute Jack. has a reputation beyond repute Jack. has a reputation beyond repute Jack. has a reputation beyond repute Jack. has a reputation beyond repute Jack. has a reputation beyond repute Jack. has a reputation beyond repute Jack. has a reputation beyond repute Jack. has a reputation beyond repute Jack. has a reputation beyond repute

Someone said something about Dublin nightlife?

Juan Martin Del Potro
Jack. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 12:24 AM   #11
country flag buddyholly

buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future

I think if you go to Ireland and do not get to the west coast, then you have made a big mistake.

And I would also go straight to London after the match.
buddyholly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 05:44 AM   #12
country flag TheBoiledEgg
Moderator - Challengers & Juniors

TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Watchmaker View Post
says someone from the biggest shithole
London is probably the most unfriendly place in the UK
MINELLA LARRIERETsurenkoAlize Lim*El Tabakh*Robson*Cirstea*Juhaszova*Zanevska*Broady*Bouchard*Savic*M irza*Pennetta*Hantuchova*Cibulkova*Ivanovic*Fitzpatrick*Remondina*Domachowska*Flipkens*Hercog*Hofmanova*Schoofs*Cet kovska *Svitolina*Pliskova's*Rus
http://www.twitter.com/TheBoiledEgg
TheBoiledEgg is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 08:58 AM   #13
country flag Conor

Conor has a reputation beyond repute Conor has a reputation beyond repute Conor has a reputation beyond repute Conor has a reputation beyond repute Conor has a reputation beyond repute Conor has a reputation beyond repute Conor has a reputation beyond repute Conor has a reputation beyond repute Conor has a reputation beyond repute Conor has a reputation beyond repute Conor has a reputation beyond repute

If you's have a few spare days before the game in Dublin, I'd recommend day trips to either Belfast (my hometown ) - you can pack a lot of things in a day or 2, the nightlife is great and is much cheaper than Dublin. Or head the opposite direction to Cork. As for England, I study in Liverpool and it is not a 'shithole'... every city has its rough parts. Central Liverpool is actually really good fun, the nightlife is amazing and so so cheap, and the people are really friendly. These are all pretty small cities so would be good choices if its only a short trip
Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 03:26 PM   #14
country flag NyCPsU

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
I think if you go to Ireland and do not get to the west coast, then you have made a big mistake.

And I would also go straight to London after the match.
What cities/spots on the West Coast do you recommend? And is it possible to make it a day trip or is it too far for that?

Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 03:29 PM   #15
country flag NyCPsU

Also I think we are definitely planning on doing a day in either Belfast or Cork. Which would you recommend between the two?