News confirmed: No tennis on Eurosport in 2013 outside the slams - Page 69 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 28th, 2013, 08:48 AM   #1021
country flag Cankarlo

Cankarlo is a name known to all Cankarlo is a name known to all Cankarlo is a name known to all Cankarlo is a name known to all Cankarlo is a name known to all Cankarlo is a name known to all Cankarlo is a name known to all Cankarlo is a name known to all Cankarlo is a name known to all Cankarlo is a name known to all Cankarlo is a name known to all
Re: News confirmed: No tennis on Eurosport in 2013 outside the slams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahoura View Post
Does Sports TV show Paris ?
Yes, Sports TV coverage starts on Tuesday. But I don't have any informations -although looking for- about how many matches they will show per day?
Cankarlo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 28th, 2013, 11:32 AM   #1022
country flag crazillo

crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
We only have it on British Eurosport for 2013. From next year it moves to a channel that currently less than 1% of the population subscribe to lol.

Surely it makes sense for the WTA to just accept any nominal fee from any German broadcaster just to get it on TV. I know tennis is not that big in Germany, but it's not going to get bigger with no tv coverage. Sports that are struggling or growing tend to just take any deal that gets their sport on televisions. It can't be good long term for WTA if Germany has no tv coverage, and will only make it look more second class vs ATP (presuming ATP is televised in Germany).
It's strange though. Tennis is still a popular club event sport. There's less kids playing tennis now but it's not like the sport is totally dead.
But there's almost no public interest in tennis anymore. Even longer articles on GS finals hardly receive any comments on the big newspaper magazine websites.
On the other hand, Kerber's recent success has been appreciated and she was voted second as the German female sportswoman of the year.
"There is a saying that there is no friendship in tennis, but I've proven the opposite. After all of them are here, it means that there is friendship and I want to thank them for being here tonight. I hope the fans are happy too."

My blog about my semester spent in China (bilingual in both German and English):
http://crazillo.jimdo.com! Please feel free to make comments!!
crazillo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 11:39 AM   #1023
country flag Londoner

Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazillo View Post
It's strange though. Tennis is still a popular club event sport. There's less kids playing tennis now but it's not like the sport is totally dead.
But there's almost no public interest in tennis anymore. Even longer articles on GS finals hardly receive any comments on the big newspaper magazine websites.
On the other hand, Kerber's recent success has been appreciated and she was voted second as the German female sportswoman of the year.
Publicity and accessibility breed popularity. No coverage, no publicity, limited accessibility = drop in popularity. And it's a downward spiral.

Last edited by Londoner : Jan 28th, 2013 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Addition
Londoner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 12:04 PM   #1024
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazillo View Post
Yer the above post kind of touches upon what I was going to say. How is the situation in Germany going to improve if tennis is not even on TV. Outside a German winning grand slams it isn't. You can't just take the approach they don't want our product so we don't care about them. Long term it just doesn't work, especially in tennis - a sport that notoriously has ups and downs in popularity. The way the WTA appears to have handled itself within Europe leaves a lot to be desired. Especially as they are beginning to alienate markets that have up and coming players to drive interest.

One thing to add, there appears from the outside (maybe you can correct me) to at least be some demand for tennis in Germany - Stuttgart is always well attended (as are the mens events).
ozza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 12:34 PM   #1025
country flag tennisfreak13

tennisfreak13 has much to be proud of tennisfreak13 has much to be proud of tennisfreak13 has much to be proud of tennisfreak13 has much to be proud of tennisfreak13 has much to be proud of tennisfreak13 has much to be proud of tennisfreak13 has much to be proud of tennisfreak13 has much to be proud of tennisfreak13 has much to be proud of tennisfreak13 has much to be proud of tennisfreak13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
They should be giving it away for a euro in Germany if that is what it takes to get it on TV.
I think they or a sponsor has to pay. Maybe than a tv station will show some tennis.
tennisfreak13 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 02:20 PM   #1026
country flag Rena P

Rena P is a splendid one to behold Rena P is a splendid one to behold Rena P is a splendid one to behold Rena P is a splendid one to behold Rena P is a splendid one to behold Rena P is a splendid one to behold Rena P is a splendid one to behold Rena P is a splendid one to behold Rena P is a splendid one to behold Rena P is a splendid one to behold Rena P is a splendid one to behold

Just saw an advert on Eurosport HD that they will be showing WTA tennis here in England. Thank God I have Eurosport HD because they will be showing the Paris Indoors from tomorrow (Tuesday) at 10.30am.
Rena P is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 02:50 PM   #1027
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rena P View Post
Just saw an advert on Eurosport HD that they will be showing WTA tennis here in England. Thank God I have Eurosport HD because they will be showing the Paris Indoors from tomorrow (Tuesday) at 10.30am.
WTA tennis is live on British Eurosport HD all year long. I am pretty sure they have every single premier event all year.
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 03:10 PM   #1028
country flag Jorn
Good Luck Caro in 2014!

Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute

Fri-Sun coverage = No coverage

Caroline Wozniacki Result page
Caroline Wozniacki tennis Forums
Jorn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 03:16 PM   #1029
country flag Trih

Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorn View Post
Fri-Sun coverage = No coverage
Yeah... this sucks tennistv.com or some stream from british ES until friday when some TV starts coverage....
I hope they'll realize the mistake they made
Trih is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 03:19 PM   #1030
country flag ozza

Yer I cannot believe British Eurosport are showing the Switzerland - Czech Republic Davis Cup tie over WTA Paris. Federer isn't even playing so it looks a horrendous tie to be showing on paper. There will for sure be live streams though so I guess that will have to do.
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 05:34 PM   #1031
country flag Israel

Israel has a brilliant future Israel has a brilliant future Israel has a brilliant future Israel has a brilliant future Israel has a brilliant future Israel has a brilliant future Israel has a brilliant future Israel has a brilliant future Israel has a brilliant future Israel has a brilliant future Israel has a brilliant future

Stop complaining everyone, we don't have a single channel broadcasting any WTA the whole year...
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 07:11 PM   #1032
country flag Rena P

Rena P is a splendid one to behold Rena P is a splendid one to behold Rena P is a splendid one to behold Rena P is a splendid one to behold Rena P is a splendid one to behold Rena P is a splendid one to behold Rena P is a splendid one to behold Rena P is a splendid one to behold Rena P is a splendid one to behold Rena P is a splendid one to behold Rena P is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
WTA tennis is live on British Eurosport HD all year long. I am pretty sure they have every single premier event all year.
Yes they do
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 09:44 AM   #1033
country flag Okan87

Okan87 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've recently interested watching live tennis, thanks to eurosport-hd broadcasting here. Used to plan watching some more on 2013... This is total dissapointment.
Okan87 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 10:15 AM   #1034
country flag Marilyn Monheaux

Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okan87 View Post
I've recently interested watching live tennis, thanks to eurosport-hd broadcasting here. Used to plan watching some more on 2013... This is total dissapointment.

Marilyn Monheaux is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 10:30 AM   #1035
country flag Rena P

Watching Tennis right now on Eurosport HD, Niculescu against Suarez Navarro. Open GDR Suez Paris Indoors will be on everyday from 10.00am to 4.00pm, that's a lot of tennis. Can't complain