News confirmed: No tennis on Eurosport in 2013 outside the slams - Page 48 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 20th, 2012, 07:03 PM   #706
country flag TheBoiledEgg
Moderator - Challengers & Juniors

TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute
Re: News confirmed: No tennis on Eurosport in 2013 outside the slams

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
So it seems the WTA were demanding a higher price and thought they'd have other broadcasters queuing up, then they got a reality check and ended up crawling back to Eurosport at the last minute

Karma. Maybe this will FINALLY teach them to prioritise nurturing their existing fanbase, rather than going after the biggest pay packet (in the short term). That goes for the way they give out 'exclusivity' deals to US stations (the WTA accepts extra cash from US stations to NOT sell coverage of the first few days of US tournaments, which US broadcasters typically don't show, to other broadcasters) and who they give big tournaments to, too.
It's just BT vision won't be airing till Aug so ES will cover till then
Also it might be that ES will show on Weekends when BT has football/rugby
MINELLA LARRIERETsurenkoAlize Lim*El Tabakh*Robson*Cirstea*Juhaszova*Zanevska*Broady*Bouchard*Savic*M irza*Pennetta*Hantuchova*Cibulkova*Ivanovic*Fitzpatrick*Remondina*Domachowska*Flipkens*Hercog*Hofmanova*Schoofs*Cet kovska *Svitolina*Pliskova's*Rus
http://www.twitter.com/TheBoiledEgg
TheBoiledEgg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 20th, 2012, 07:24 PM   #707
country flag Patrick345

Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazillo View Post
So maybe it is local Eurosport channels picking up the rights now?
It seems like the WTA is crawling back to Eurosport now. Wonder how much they are paying now.
I think I can only change the title once we know more for the whole of Europe though?
None of us know the details between WTA and Perform/IEC. It´s more likely the contract between Perform/IEC and BT Vision has contract clauses that demand that they have to provide a certain amount of live coverage from all/a number of events or they face contractual penalties. Remember that was one of the breaking points in their negotiations with Eurosport, that the WTA wanted some broadcasting guarantees. So maybe Eurosport just lucked out that BT Vision didn´t have their own platform ready till July. Afterall BT Vision owns the broadcasting rights in the UK. Unless they breached some part of the contract, figured they want the WTA presence till their own channel launches in July or have received a substantial offer from ES they have little incentive to re-sell the rights (if they are allowed to). I doubt it´s the WTA begging Eurosport directly.

Eurosport might have felt a little pressure of their own from viewers and customers, who weren´t so keen to see the Under 16 African women´s youth football championship all year instead of Maria Sharapova.
Quiet. 24 SLAMS.
Patrick345 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2012, 09:59 PM   #708
country flag manixdk

manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorn View Post
As now Sport1 (NL) MCS French and TV2 Sport in Nordic/Danish have got the Rights, it can't also be on ES Int.
I don't see anything on TV2Sport site or on their TextTV. AFAIK WTA is selling tournament by tournament.
manixdk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2012, 10:18 PM   #709
country flag manixdk

manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBrusca View Post
Will be interesting to see if greater coverage is offered via Eurosport Player.
Comprehensive coverage on tennistv.com
Old Dec 20th, 2012, 10:20 PM   #710
country flag DanBrusca

DanBrusca is a glorious beacon of light DanBrusca is a glorious beacon of light DanBrusca is a glorious beacon of light DanBrusca is a glorious beacon of light DanBrusca is a glorious beacon of light DanBrusca is a glorious beacon of light DanBrusca is a glorious beacon of light DanBrusca is a glorious beacon of light DanBrusca is a glorious beacon of light DanBrusca is a glorious beacon of light DanBrusca is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by manixdk View Post
Comprehensive coverage on tennistv.com
Second-rate coverage compared to what they give ATP.
DanBrusca is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2012, 10:55 PM   #711
country flag Jorn
Good Luck Caro in 2014!

Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't see anything on TV2Sport site or on their TextTV. AFAIK WTA is selling tournament by tournament.
See BT or EB websites.

Caroline Wozniacki Result page
Caroline Wozniacki tennis Forums
Jorn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2012, 10:57 PM   #712
country flag Jorn
Good Luck Caro in 2014!

Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute

Btw, Brisbane and Sydney will be on TV 2 Sport, after that its on a so far unknown Viasat channel...

My guess so also Norway and Sweden have coverage from 22 tournaments...

Caroline Wozniacki Result page
Caroline Wozniacki tennis Forums
Jorn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2012, 11:18 PM   #713
C. Drone
CFO

C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
So it seems the WTA were demanding a higher price and thought they'd have other broadcasters queuing up, then they got a reality check and ended up crawling back to Eurosport at the last minute

Karma. Maybe this will FINALLY teach them to prioritise nurturing their existing fanbase, rather than going after the biggest pay packet (in the short term). That goes for the way they give out 'exclusivity' deals to US stations (the WTA accepts extra cash from US stations to NOT sell coverage of the first few days of US tournaments, which US broadcasters typically don't show, to other broadcasters) and who they give big tournaments to, too.
sources?

and how common is that WTA sells part of the tournaments to different broadcasters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick345 View Post
None of us know the details between WTA and Perform/IEC. It´s more likely the contract between Perform/IEC and BT Vision has contract clauses that demand that they have to provide a certain amount of live coverage from all/a number of events or they face contractual penalties. Remember that was one of the breaking points in their negotiations with Eurosport, that the WTA wanted some broadcasting guarantees. So maybe Eurosport just lucked out that BT Vision didn´t have their own platform ready till July. Afterall BT Vision owns the broadcasting rights in the UK. Unless they breached some part of the contract, figured they want the WTA presence till their own channel launches in July or have received a substantial offer from ES they have little incentive to re-sell the rights (if they are allowed to). I doubt it´s the WTA begging Eurosport directly.

Eurosport might have felt a little pressure of their own from viewers and customers, who weren´t so keen to see the Under 16 African women´s youth football championship all year instead of Maria Sharapova.
The time works for WTA & Co in UK with every match Robson and Watson wins and rising on the rankings. It wasnt accident that last year ESPN showed Palermo and such MM tournaments in UK just because of Robson.
C. Drone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2012, 11:23 PM   #714
babsi

babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBrusca View Post
Second-rate coverage compared to what they give ATP.
And most likely the same as you would get on TV.

For some people TennisTV is the only option as it isn`t televised where they are. Last year I had the majority of Mandatory semis and finals shown but hardly any were shown live - most were shown in the middle of the night.

Before this year you actually had the option of WTA or ATP for only $70 a year. I actually held out for as long as possible before signing up for a year but gave in after bad TV coverage and streams not working very well.

babsi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2012, 09:45 AM   #715
country flag manixdk

Quote:
See BT or EB websites.
Mange tak! I don't visit them so often in the off-season. Strange that TV2Sport has it on their website after EB.
Old Dec 21st, 2012, 09:46 AM   #716
country flag manixdk

Quote:
Btw, Brisbane and Sydney will be on TV 2 Sport, after that its on a so far unknown Viasat channel...

My guess so also Norway and Sweden have coverage from 22 tournaments...
TV2Sport has all the Premier tournaments, but not the Internationals.
Old Dec 21st, 2012, 10:33 AM   #717
country flag Madoka

Madoka has a brilliant future Madoka has a brilliant future Madoka has a brilliant future Madoka has a brilliant future Madoka has a brilliant future Madoka has a brilliant future Madoka has a brilliant future Madoka has a brilliant future Madoka has a brilliant future Madoka has a brilliant future Madoka has a brilliant future

news about italy ?

Auf gehts meine deutschen scrubs

PAW Titles : Dubai '14, Charleston '14, Bastad '14

FITD Titles : Istanbul '14
Madoka is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2012, 10:36 AM   #718
country flag manixdk

Quote:
Originally Posted by babsi View Post
And most likely the same as you would get on TV.

For some people TennisTV is the only option as it isn`t televised where they are. Last year I had the majority of Mandatory semis and finals shown but hardly any were shown live - most were shown in the middle of the night.

Before this year you actually had the option of WTA or ATP for only $70 a year. I actually held out for as long as possible before signing up for a year but gave in after bad TV coverage and streams not working very well.
Are you confusing the tennis channel with tennistv.com? They stream live, with the chance to catch up matches already streamed.
Old Dec 21st, 2012, 11:50 AM   #719
babsi

babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future

Quote:
Are you confusing the tennis channel with tennistv.com? They stream live, with the chance to catch up matches already streamed.
Let's say illegal streams.

babsi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2012, 03:36 PM   #720
country flag flareon

flareon has a reputation beyond repute flareon has a reputation beyond repute flareon has a reputation beyond repute flareon has a reputation beyond repute flareon has a reputation beyond repute flareon has a reputation beyond repute flareon has a reputation beyond repute flareon has a reputation beyond repute flareon has a reputation beyond repute flareon has a reputation beyond repute flareon has a reputation beyond repute

British Eurosport has an advert saying WTA tennis all season long... its so confusing...
TT 2013: Won 25k Rancho Santa Fe DW/Phil=)
TT 2014: 1/2 Kuala Lumpur Singles,Won WTA FlorianapolisDW/Phil=),25k NottinghamDW/Phil=),F Istanbul 50kDW/Phil=)
flareon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote