News confirmed: No tennis on Eurosport in 2013 outside the slams - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 13th, 2012, 09:22 PM   #46
country flag flareon

flareon has a reputation beyond repute flareon has a reputation beyond repute flareon has a reputation beyond repute flareon has a reputation beyond repute flareon has a reputation beyond repute flareon has a reputation beyond repute flareon has a reputation beyond repute flareon has a reputation beyond repute flareon has a reputation beyond repute flareon has a reputation beyond repute flareon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: News confirmed: No tennis on Eurosport in 2013 outside the slams

Quote:
Quote:
Dear Mr xxx,
the way you have read and interpreted (the news) are correct. Eurosport will not broadcast the WTA Tour from 2013 onwards, because the contract with the WTA for a paneuropean broadcasting has not been extended. Tennis still remains an important sport in our programme. We will again broadcast three of the four Grand Slams (Australian, French and US Open) live and partly exclusive. Furthermore, we will show some selected ATP tournaments and perhaps one or another smaller WTA event. We are still negotating new rights packages, but cannot comment any further on the current situation yet.

Until the end of October we will still be live and exclusive on air on the way to and during the WTA Championchips.

Best,

xxxxx
Press & PR Manager
Eurosport Media GmbH
it says here they are still negotaiting so perhaps there is hope. It would be such a shame if they lost this...
TT 2013: Won 25k Rancho Santa Fe DW/Phil=)
TT 2014: Won WTA FlorianapolisDW/Phil=),25k NottinghamDW/Phil=)

Quote:
Nigel Sears
'Serenas serve is a wonderful action to copy, Please do not Copy Angelique Kerber's'
flareon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 13th, 2012, 09:24 PM   #47
country flag Linguae^

Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future

No 2013 either.
Linguae^ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 09:26 PM   #48
country flag crazillo

crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flareon View Post
it says here they are still negotaiting so perhaps there is hope. It would be such a shame if they lost this...
Yeah it does, but the rest of the mail clearly states that only smaller tournaments might be broadcasted in 2013. I can't imagine he would say so if there was still hope for broadcasting bigger events.
"There is a saying that there is no friendship in tennis, but I've proven the opposite. After all of them are here, it means that there is friendship and I want to thank them for being here tonight. I hope the fans are happy too."

My blog about my semester spent in China (bilingual in both German and English):
http://crazillo.jimdo.com! Please feel free to make comments!!
crazillo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 09:29 PM   #49
C. Drone
CFO

C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenaMJ View Post
This is just a bad move, ES is the main sports channel across Europe, it is easily accessible too without having to pay high fees for watching it. In the UK, I know I am not paying £30+ a month to buy SkySports subscription now, it's way too expensive. Sorry WTA, but now on you just killed the game for European fans. Most of us will probably be left with watching low quality streams online without paying you a penny. Why don't they create a separate WTA tv channel instead and offer it to broadcasters? It would be way much better, or at least for God's sake let us buy a subscription online! As for now most European countries are blocked from accessing it.
1. Which actually means so far WTA sold the product for peanuts. Shame on them not doing it anymore...

2. Who would pay that separate TV channel? Right...

3. And that is basically Eurosport's fault.
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 09:31 PM   #50
country flag Serena_Williams_

Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of

The end of live tennis on TV for me
“I'm not used to crying. . . . It's a little difficult. All my life I've had to fight. It's just another fight I'm going to have to learn how to win, that's all. I'm just going to have to keep smiling.”-Serena Williams
Serena_Williams_ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 09:32 PM   #51
country flag Joana

Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute

That's really bad news. Eurosport has shown A LOT of tennis and I don't think anyone would (and will) do it as much.
Joana is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 09:33 PM   #52
country flag LightWarrior

LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoiledEgg View Post
Angelica Fratini (@angelikf)

Posted Thursday 13th September 2012 from Twitlonger
@theBoiledEgg MCS TV Group’s channels include Ma Chaine Sport, MCS Extrême, MCS Bien-être and MCS International and are distributed across Numéricable, Canalsat and ADSL, reaching over 14 million viewers in multiple territories including France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Israel, Portugal and selected territories in sub-Saharan Africa. As part of the acquisition, MCS TV Group will launch a new channel specifically to showcase their tennis content. The MCS Tennis channel will feature all of the WTA Premier events alongside specific men’s ATP World Tour events for which the MCS TV Group own the rights.
Thank God I have MCS on cable here in France ! They've been showing a few WTA/ATP International tournaments this year.
I wonder where UK and German viewers will get to watch WTA tennis next year.
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 09:34 PM   #53
country flag Talula

Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desuetude View Post
But at least ES actually showed tennis. I have no other channel to watch tennis if ES stops broadcasting it.

Thanks a fucking lot WTA. You've exceeded in outdumbing yourself and alienating a huge portion of your fans across Europe attached to a single channel.
This.

I can't understand why anyone on here is happy with/supports the decision. Sky doesn't show the WTA other than Australian Open and US Open. The BBC only shows Wimbledon and the Eastbourne final, ITV only Roland Garros. What about all the other tournaments Eurosport did cover? I won't be able to see any of these.

Whatever anyone says about Eurosport, I can remember watching Monuca playing Venus years ago in the US Hardcourt series and have had 90% of my tennis viewing from the channel.

What are we supposed to do now?

This will kill the WTA which gets less media coverage than the ATP as it is. It could also kill tournaments.

Players I root for now: Heather, Laura, Lucie, Marion, Serena, Simona, Svetlana, Venus, Vika. And Caroline.
Doubles and Mixed Doubles are fun and underrated.
Talula is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 09:36 PM   #54
country flag crazillo

crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightWarrior View Post
Thank God I have MCS on cable here in France ! They've been showing a few WTA/ATP International tournaments this year.
I wonder where UK and German viewers will get to watch WTA tennis next year.
I really don't know either. We have another sports channel called Sport1 (DSF before), they did broadcast Wimbledon a couple years ago, but then for a couple years they only had summaries in the evening while live tennis was broadcasted on Pay TV. They also did show ATP Master Events for a couple years but not a whole lot of them either. I guess WTA will follow the ATPs fate but then we have quite a few good female pro's so I hope it will be different.
Can't think of any other channel though...
"There is a saying that there is no friendship in tennis, but I've proven the opposite. After all of them are here, it means that there is friendship and I want to thank them for being here tonight. I hope the fans are happy too."

My blog about my semester spent in China (bilingual in both German and English):
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 09:40 PM   #55
country flag CrossCourt~Rally

CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flareon View Post
Maybe The Tennis Channel will start expanding into other countrys ? That would be ideal
CrossCourt~Rally is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 09:45 PM   #56
C. Drone
CFO

C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula View Post
This.

I can't understand why anyone on here is happy with/supports the decision. Sky doesn't show the WTA other than Australian Open and US Open. The BBC only shows Wimbledon and the Eastbourne final, ITV only Roland Garros. What about all the other tournaments Eurosport did cover? I won't be able to see any of these.

Whatever anyone says about Eurosport, I can remember watching Monuca playing Venus years ago in the US Hardcourt series and have had 90% of my tennis viewing from the channel.

This will kill the WTA which gets less media coverage than the ATP as it is. It could also kill tournaments.
Because Eurosport owns the exclusive broadcasting rights of WTA Premier tournaments since years in all Europe. How do you expect other channels to show it then?
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 09:49 PM   #57
country flag Mary Cherry.

Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula View Post
This.

Sky doesn't show the AO and I don't think the BBC have bothered with Eastbourne for years

I really hope ITV doesn't get any more rights, I already hate the fact we'll be stuck with them for RG. Same with Sky and the US Open.
Mary Cherry. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 10:00 PM   #58
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute

Why is everyone so sure that there will even be streams available? What if it's like the US Open Series tournaments (e.g. Stanford, Cincinnati) where there's never any streams whatsoever for the first few days simply because no broadcasters want the rights for them? Eurosport was the ONLY broadcaster for quite a few of the big tournaments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoiledEgg View Post
I dont think Sky will touch it as it will ruin their Masters coverage which is at same time as the WTA big events.
I suppose like Sammy said it's possible they'll buy the rights for the WTA matches at the big combined ATP/WTA tournaments - although even then they'd only show women's matches if it wasn't clashing with one of the marquee ATP names. No way will they buy something that isn't a combined tournament and actually dedicate airtime SOLELY to the WTA though.
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 10:04 PM   #59
country flag crazillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
Why is everyone so sure that there will even be streams available? What if it's like the US Open Series tournaments (e.g. Stanford, Cincinnati) where there's never any streams whatsoever for the first few days simply because no broadcasters want the rights for them? Eurosport was the ONLY broadcaster for quite a few of the big tournaments.
That would be horrible. I mean a couple years ago I was happy when I could see my favourite player a couple times a year but times have changed and I want to be able to watch a stream when a tournament is going on.
You are right, I haven't thought about streams yet. Let's hope those new TV partners also broadcast early rounds.

Old Sep 13th, 2012, 10:11 PM   #60
country flag cn ireland

cn ireland has a brilliant future cn ireland has a brilliant future cn ireland has a brilliant future cn ireland has a brilliant future cn ireland has a brilliant future cn ireland has a brilliant future cn ireland has a brilliant future cn ireland has a brilliant future cn ireland has a brilliant future cn ireland has a brilliant future cn ireland has a brilliant future

This is terrible news

Twitter: @NoelDoyle4
cn ireland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote