News confirmed: No tennis on Eurosport in 2013 outside the slams - Page 32 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 21st, 2012, 03:09 PM   #466
C. Drone
CFO

C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: News confirmed: No tennis on Eurosport in 2013 outside the slams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg View Post
C'mon, don't bullshit me. Of course ATP is relevant if we're talking about global sports rights.

Okay Mr. Company Man, why can't the WTA reach a decent tv contract in time? It's obvious they were supposed to have something to announce in Istanbul. Instead we got some kind of monologue without any real information. It's not very convincing.
Even the informations listed in this topic you are trying to ignore, so does it matter?
And why was it "obvious" to announce something in Istanbul when negotiating were still going?
You know what else not convincing? When people only care to get things free/cheap through Eurosport.
Advertisement

Old Nov 21st, 2012, 03:21 PM   #467
country flag Hedberg

Hedberg is just really nice Hedberg is just really nice Hedberg is just really nice Hedberg is just really nice Hedberg is just really nice Hedberg is just really nice Hedberg is just really nice Hedberg is just really nice Hedberg is just really nice Hedberg is just really nice Hedberg is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejmeglekvár View Post
Even the informations listed in this topic you are trying to ignore, so does it matter?
And why was it "obvious" to announce something in Istanbul when negotiating were still going?
You know what else not convincing? When people only care to get things free/cheap through Eurosport.
You mean the information that there is nothing in the UK, Italy, Scandinavia, Germany etc. etc?

Or are you referring to that killer deal with sport1 in the Netherlands? That was made in the summer. The MCS Deal in September. The Perform group has had time and nothing seem to happen. It's not ideal that this is dragging so long. It speaks volumes.

Well at least there was something to watch on Eurosport. I'm willing to pay for my tennis. The only problem? No channel seems to be interested to pick it up.

ATP usually announced deals during the ATP Champs. End of the season, huge tournament, of course it's a good place to make announcements. But hey, some rambling monologue without any information is fine too.
Hedberg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2012, 03:28 PM   #468
C. Drone
CFO

C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You mean the information that there is nothing in the UK, Italy, Scandinavia, Germany etc. etc?
and how do you know there is nothing? Oh wait, must be the "facts".
Old Nov 21st, 2012, 03:32 PM   #469
country flag soimu

soimu is a name known to all soimu is a name known to all soimu is a name known to all soimu is a name known to all soimu is a name known to all soimu is a name known to all soimu is a name known to all soimu is a name known to all soimu is a name known to all soimu is a name known to all soimu is a name known to all

Quote:
Stacey is that you ?

Now seriously are you the WTA lawyer or what ?
soimu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2012, 03:39 PM   #470
country flag Hedberg

Hedberg is just really nice Hedberg is just really nice Hedberg is just really nice Hedberg is just really nice Hedberg is just really nice Hedberg is just really nice Hedberg is just really nice Hedberg is just really nice Hedberg is just really nice Hedberg is just really nice Hedberg is just really nice

Quote:
and how do you know there is nothing? Oh wait, must be the "facts".
One theory could be that they would actually announce something if they had something? You know, they could actually promote their product? Or are you thinking they want to keep it a secret? Oh, those great business minds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soimu View Post
Stacey is that you ?

I think just a ordinary douchebag.
Old Nov 21st, 2012, 03:45 PM   #471
country flag KatjaS

KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute

You can't look at the TV contracts just in terms of "how much money are they paying?". TV exposure and wide availability is extremely important for tournaments, sponsors and to generate new fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick345 View Post
A regular bobsled world cup pulls twice those numbers and lasts about an hour.
...because it's on ARD or ZDF, on a weekend. Tons and tons of viewers who just switch their TV on and stick with it because it's the first or second channel they see, and Eurosport is Number 134. The Mixed Doubles olympics match for third place with Lisicki/Kas had 6.5 million viewers.

If the WTA were smart they'd offer the TV rights to ARD/ZDF for pennies. That's what the winter sports have done for years to build a fan base, and it helped them grow their sports tremendously. But that would require the WTA to look further than their next paycheck.
KatjaS is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2012, 03:50 PM   #472
C. Drone
CFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by soimu View Post
Stacey is that you ?

you got me. Did you figure it out only by yourself?

Quote:
I think just a ordinary douchebag.
So having an opininon makes somebody a douchebag? Congratz to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatjaS View Post
You can't look at the TV contracts just in terms of "how much money are they paying?". TV exposure and wide availability is extremely important for tournaments, sponsors and to generate new fans.
That was last 15 years.
Old Nov 21st, 2012, 03:54 PM   #473
country flag Hedberg

Quote:

So having an opininon makes somebody a douchebag? Congratz to you.
Opinion? Those aren't really opinions. They are pretty much just BS-statements.
Old Nov 21st, 2012, 03:57 PM   #474
C. Drone
CFO

Quote:
Opinion? Those aren't really opinions. They are pretty much just BS-statements.
you mean "ATP killing WTA"?
Old Nov 21st, 2012, 04:05 PM   #475
country flag KatjaS

KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That was last 15 years.
Eurosport? At least in Germany that's a niche channel that attracts absolutely no "drive-by" viewers.
Old Nov 21st, 2012, 04:05 PM   #476
country flag Hedberg

Quote:
you mean "ATP killing WTA"?
No, you're probably right. WTA ratings just crushing the ATP ratings. Sky Sports are ready to drop their ATP rights, just to get some Bartoli-Radwanska classics on prime time. Sport1 in Germany negotiating the same deal. Maybe that's the reason this is taking a lifetime?
Old Nov 21st, 2012, 05:13 PM   #477
country flag Patrick345

Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

...because it's on ARD or ZDF, on a weekend. Tons and tons of viewers who just switch their TV on and stick with it because it's the first or second channel they see, and Eurosport is Number 134.
Basic cable has 35 channels and Eurosport One is in the cable system in every state, so it is easily accessable and not 134 like you claim. My guess between 13-18 on average on German remote controls. Another exaggeration to make your case. The reach Eurosport has today far exceeds the reach of RTL/Sat 1 in the early 90s, when Becker, Stich and Graf pulled 15 times the TV ratings for Wimbledon/Masters. Don´t act like people are too dumb to find Eurosport. There is a reason tennis regularly got dumped for handball, summer ski-jumping and snooker in the German ES window, while British ES stayed on live tennis.

Quote:
The Mixed Doubles olympics match for third place with Lisicki/Kas had 6.5 million viewers.

If the WTA were smart they'd offer the TV rights to ARD/ZDF for pennies. That's what the winter sports have done for years to build a fan base, and it helped them grow their sports tremendously. But that would require the WTA to look further than their next paycheck.

That was the OLYMPICS. Every sport draws during the Olympics. Eurosport drew bigger numbers during the Olympics running opposite ARD/ZDF with commercials than they do for their regular programming. Speedskating had over 10 million viewers during the Winter Olympics. The Roger Federer/Tommy Haas Halle final was live on ZDF this year and drew less than a regular wintersport event, around a million viewers.

The regular free tv station have no interest in a full two week commitment to tennis. Heck they won´t even commit to the clear structured, planable patriotic three day weekend events like Davis and Fed-Cup anymore, because it does not draw. Why does it not draw? Because the Germans don´t win. Why do they not win? Due to a lack of interest they have to play Australia on clay. That was a business decision, not a tennis decision. Otherwise Rittner should have been fired, but instead her contract was extended, because she´ll keep her mouth shut and accept her faith.

I don´t know why fans from Germany always try to deny the reality. The WTA had 10 years of exposure. How long do they need to rebuild tennis in Germany? There is no ATP here on free-tv either, because nobody cares about tennis. The only way that changes is a German Grand Slam singles champion with foreseeable longevity.

We´ll see whether the shrewd orgnaizers of Stuttgart can sell their top class field to anyone, but Eurosport. Best case the tournament and the Fed-Cup tie lands in the regional programs of ARD with options for a semifinal/final on ARD/ZDF.
Quiet. 24 SLAMS.
Patrick345 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2012, 05:38 PM   #478
country flag KatjaS

By "basic cable" I guess you mean analog cable? Nobody but a few seniors has that anymore, as the quality on a LCD is unbearable. And with digital you have a lot more than 35 channels, and for me Eurosport is channel 402. Nobody ends up there unless they are actively looking for it.

All the winter sports are watched because they're on ARD/ZDF and people who just switch on their TV stick with it, not because there has always been a tremendous interest in overweight Bavarians on a sled.
Old Nov 21st, 2012, 05:47 PM   #479
country flag Lisickinator

Lisickinator has a brilliant future Lisickinator has a brilliant future Lisickinator has a brilliant future Lisickinator has a brilliant future Lisickinator has a brilliant future Lisickinator has a brilliant future Lisickinator has a brilliant future Lisickinator has a brilliant future Lisickinator has a brilliant future Lisickinator has a brilliant future Lisickinator has a brilliant future

Europort Germany has an average market share of only 0.6% here. 26 stations have a higher one. The market share of ARD or ZDF is about 12% each.

An accent is not an apostrophe.

Last edited by Lisickinator : Nov 21st, 2012 at 05:53 PM.
Lisickinator is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2012, 04:14 AM   #480
country flag rjd1111

rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute

The continuing saga of the WTA's revolutioary new

marketing strategy to promote and enhance

their sport by NOT allowing people to see it.

Less and less TV coverage and Shutting down the

online streams............Brilliant!
rjd1111 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote