News confirmed: No tennis on Eurosport in 2013 outside the slams - Page 28 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 30th, 2012, 11:45 AM   #406
country flag *Jean*

*Jean* has a reputation beyond repute *Jean* has a reputation beyond repute *Jean* has a reputation beyond repute *Jean* has a reputation beyond repute *Jean* has a reputation beyond repute *Jean* has a reputation beyond repute *Jean* has a reputation beyond repute *Jean* has a reputation beyond repute *Jean* has a reputation beyond repute *Jean* has a reputation beyond repute *Jean* has a reputation beyond repute
Re: News confirmed: No tennis on Eurosport in 2013 outside the slams

Annabel Croft & Sam Smith working on Sky Sports this week, just two days after the WTA Championships are over. A sign that there will be some women's tennis on Sky next year?
*Jean* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 30th, 2012, 12:14 PM   #407
country flag PetraReeMona

PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jean* View Post
Annabel Croft & Sam Smith working on Sky Sports this week, just two days after the WTA Championships are over. A sign that there will be some women's tennis on Sky next year?
Really?

They've worked for Sky Sports for years. So what's the sign that there will be women's tennis on Sky Sports next year?
PetraReeMona is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2012, 01:20 PM   #408
country flag leftyness

leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of

Quote:
Both of them were on Sky during their US Open coverage. Sam seems be on Sky a good bit, and Annabel has been on Sky a good bit too lately. No white smoke to be seen there...

Last edited by leftyness : Oct 30th, 2012 at 05:47 PM.
leftyness is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2012, 02:06 PM   #409
country flag *Jean*

*Jean* has a reputation beyond repute *Jean* has a reputation beyond repute *Jean* has a reputation beyond repute *Jean* has a reputation beyond repute *Jean* has a reputation beyond repute *Jean* has a reputation beyond repute *Jean* has a reputation beyond repute *Jean* has a reputation beyond repute *Jean* has a reputation beyond repute *Jean* has a reputation beyond repute *Jean* has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, all right, no need to roll your eyes, children. I had never heard them on Sky before, I thought them under contract with Eurosport.
*Jean* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2012, 02:29 PM   #410
country flag leftyness

leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of

Quote:
Oh, all right, no need to roll your eyes, children. I had never heard them on Sky before, I thought them under contract with Eurosport.
You're alright, no eye-rolling intended toward you. We're all apt to jump on the slightest sign of news regarding 2013 coverage. I'm rolling my eyes skyward at the total vacuum that the WTA have left us in at the moment.
Old Oct 30th, 2012, 05:32 PM   #411
country flag jameshazza

jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute

I thought they only did USO for Sky myself. I'd rather Sky than BTvision.
Old Oct 30th, 2012, 09:18 PM   #412
country flag bbypk

bbypk is a splendid one to behold bbypk is a splendid one to behold bbypk is a splendid one to behold bbypk is a splendid one to behold bbypk is a splendid one to behold bbypk is a splendid one to behold bbypk is a splendid one to behold bbypk is a splendid one to behold bbypk is a splendid one to behold bbypk is a splendid one to behold bbypk is a splendid one to behold

So sad

bbypk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2012, 01:49 PM   #413
country flag Kooyong

Kooyong has much to be proud of Kooyong has much to be proud of Kooyong has much to be proud of Kooyong has much to be proud of Kooyong has much to be proud of Kooyong has much to be proud of Kooyong has much to be proud of Kooyong has much to be proud of Kooyong has much to be proud of Kooyong has much to be proud of Kooyong has much to be proud of

Do we know when we will find out what is happening?

Sam Smith during last year's Australian Open did a bit of the coverage for one of the networks either Fox or Ch7

FITD Ranking 41
FITD Titles 2012 Memphis
Kooyong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2012, 12:49 PM   #414
country flag ShimSham

ShimSham is a glorious beacon of light ShimSham is a glorious beacon of light ShimSham is a glorious beacon of light ShimSham is a glorious beacon of light ShimSham is a glorious beacon of light ShimSham is a glorious beacon of light ShimSham is a glorious beacon of light ShimSham is a glorious beacon of light ShimSham is a glorious beacon of light ShimSham is a glorious beacon of light ShimSham is a glorious beacon of light

Sam Smith should not be used as a guide to what is to come. Unlike other commentators she regularly works for lots of different stations that broadcast tennis, such as BBC, Eurosport, ITV, Sky Sports and Channel Seven in Australia. Whether Eurosport broadcast WTA tennis or not next year, I feel Sam will do just fine and will probably do some work for BT Vision, when they start their tennis coverage.
ShimSham is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2012, 01:52 PM   #415
country flag leftyness

Sam does seem to be the Queen of channel-hopping, but a lot of the UK comms/analysts jump around. The Sky guys were on comms for ITV at RG this year, Greg Rusedski has popped up on ES, Sky and the Beeb, so if ES/Sky/BT/whoever picks up coverage next year, we'll probably be seeing/hearing the usuals on comms/in studio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooyong View Post
Do we know when we will find out what is happening?
Totally in the dark. Secret negotiations and all that I suppose. Someone (it might have been on this thread or a related one) did say that there was a good chance that solid news would emerge during Istanbul week, which made sense to me. All we got was Stacey Allaster confirming the bad news and then telling us how super-awesome tennistv.com would be in 2013. I just took a look at it a minute ago, all the WTA prems are still geoblocked.

I'm half-wondering if anyone will pick up the rights. Might they (WTA/MCS) end up going back to ES? Or will we get zero tv coverage??

Does anyone know whether the WTA are dealing with this directly, or whether MCS are handling it? I'd be suprised if the WTA are dealing with dozens of tv stations across Europe.
Old Nov 1st, 2012, 03:51 PM   #416
country flag fnc

fnc is a glorious beacon of light fnc is a glorious beacon of light fnc is a glorious beacon of light fnc is a glorious beacon of light fnc is a glorious beacon of light fnc is a glorious beacon of light fnc is a glorious beacon of light fnc is a glorious beacon of light fnc is a glorious beacon of light fnc is a glorious beacon of light fnc is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyness View Post
I'm half-wondering if anyone will pick up the rights. Might they (WTA/MCS) end up going back to ES? Or will we get zero tv coverage??

Does anyone know whether the WTA are dealing with this directly, or whether MCS are handling it? I'd be suprised if the WTA are dealing with dozens of tv stations across Europe.
The sale of the rights is being handled by Perform and IEC in Sports, MCS TV has bought the rights to show the WTA in France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Israel, Portugal and selected territories in sub-Saharan Africa. I'm not sure if Perform has bought the actual rights or whether they're acting as some sort of broker. The WTA itself won't be dealing with dozens of tv stations.

If nobody picks up the rights it's anyone's guess what will happen. In the case of the UK it might still be an option to strike a deal with British Eurosport. Since that station is only available in the UK.
fnc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2012, 04:06 PM   #417
country flag leftyness

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnc View Post
The sale of the rights is being handled by Perform and IEC in Sports, MCS TV has bought the rights to show the WTA in France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Israel, Portugal and selected territories in sub-Saharan Africa. I'm not sure if Perform has bought the actual rights or whether they're acting as some sort of broker. The WTA itself won't be dealing with dozens of tv stations.

If nobody picks up the rights it's anyone's guess what will happen. In the case of the UK it might still be an option to strike a deal with British Eurosport. Since that station is only available in the UK.
Thanks for enlighting me on that, fnc. Do you have access to MCS in the Netherlands, seeing as Belgium is your neighbour?

A quick edit later...
Ahh, silly me. I should have realised Perform was a seperate entity. A quick google has cleared the fog of confusion for me.

http://www.wtatennis.com/news/201112...256076_2557594

Posted on Christmas Day. Very sneaky!

Quote:
PERFORM has acquired all media rights to the WTA's Premier tournaments and will oversee the overall development and media optimization of these events outside of the United States and Canada.....PERFORM will partner with IEC in Sports to sell, distribute and manage all broadcast relationships. The partners will begin formal distribution discussions in the New Year simultaneously with pan-regional and national broadcasters.
And this bit at the end. Wonder what tv viewership in 2013 will be?
Quote:
Additionally, WTA attendance in 2011 at Premier events is up 12% from 2010 and television viewership is up 73% from 2010 to 2011.

Last edited by leftyness : Nov 1st, 2012 at 05:35 PM. Reason: added content on Perform
Old Nov 1st, 2012, 04:12 PM   #418
country flag Jorn
Good Luck Caro in 2014!

Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute

In Holland has Sport1 the rights... So far I remember 1 posted here...

Caroline Wozniacki Result page
Caroline Wozniacki tennis Forums
Jorn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2012, 07:09 PM   #419
country flag fnc

fnc is a glorious beacon of light fnc is a glorious beacon of light fnc is a glorious beacon of light fnc is a glorious beacon of light fnc is a glorious beacon of light fnc is a glorious beacon of light fnc is a glorious beacon of light fnc is a glorious beacon of light fnc is a glorious beacon of light fnc is a glorious beacon of light fnc is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyness View Post
Thanks for enlighting me on that, fnc. Do you have access to MCS in the Netherlands, seeing as Belgium is your neighbour?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorn View Post
In Holland has Sport1 the rights... So far I remember 1 posted here...
Yes Sport1 has bought the WTA rights here in the Netherlands. It's a pay channel which costs 15 euros a month (which includes football, basketball, golf). At the moment they already have the ATP rights. They have one dedicated channel for tennis and a three channels which can be used when needed. So it'll be interesting to see how the WTA fill fit in the schedule. One thing is for sure, most sport1 commentators hate womens tennis with a passion. This much was abvious during their wimbledon coverage. With ES I always selected the English commentary. For me it also means no more capturing of tennis matches, sport1 tennis isn't available on satellite.
fnc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 05:21 PM   #420
country flag DanBrusca

DanBrusca is a glorious beacon of light DanBrusca is a glorious beacon of light DanBrusca is a glorious beacon of light DanBrusca is a glorious beacon of light DanBrusca is a glorious beacon of light DanBrusca is a glorious beacon of light DanBrusca is a glorious beacon of light DanBrusca is a glorious beacon of light DanBrusca is a glorious beacon of light DanBrusca is a glorious beacon of light DanBrusca is a glorious beacon of light

I think it's worth reviewing what the possible outcomes are for the WTA rights sale in the UK...

BT Vision
From scanning through this thread I know that one member is adamant it's a done deal for BT Vision and that others are concerned this would restrict viewing to those with a BT Vision box.

With their recent acquisition of Premier League football and Aviva Premiership rugby it's unthinkable that they would restrict their nascent sports channel to their own platform. They're paying the Premier League £9 per match for every subscriber they already have and that's before they've started actually selling subs to the new channel.

The truth is they need to roll the channel out to as many platforms as possible for it to make economic sense, so expect it to be available on Sky and Virgin for around £10 per month. It's also unlikely that at a time when the WTA is trying to expand the reach of the sport they would restrict it to such a small audience as BT Vision's platform offers.

There is one significant concern that comes with BT Vision showing WTA matches - Aviva Premiership match times often clash with WTA semi-finals and finals. A big problem when you only have one channel. Most of their football matches are Saturday lunchtimes, so that's not such an issue.

Incidentally, someone queried who the hell has BT Vision. It's mostly people in flats who can't get Sky or Virgin.

Sky Sports
While this would reduce access to people with Sky Sports subscriptions, there's little doubt that Sky would do a great job. In particular they have they the advantage of multiple channels and red button functionality, a definite advantage given many tourneys will have two televised courts next year, something that would be wasted on BT Vision.

Someone suggested that Sky wouldn't touch WTA because of their ATP rights. I don't buy this argument. The question for Sky is whether they believe adding WTA to their profile will get more people watching Sky Sports and how much of the cost can be offset by advertising. I think it's a borderline case and they might be tempted to swallow a loss on them if it prevented someone else from having them.

ESPN
With the loss of the rugby and the football, they're desperate for new sports to add to their portfolio, unless of course they decide it's just not worth carrying on without them. These were probably the most expensive rights they held, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility they might ditch their subscription model altogether and take the Eurosport route - something which would appeal to the WTA in terms of reach.

One thing we do know is that they definitely have an interest in tennis after picking up various peripheral events this year and I'm pretty sure they would jump at the chance to take the WTA altogether if the price was right.

They could probably do decent coverage, in HD, with ESPN Classics a useful backup channel to show either a second court or centre court if another event takes precedence on the main channel.

Other options
I really can't see beyond the above options. ITV dipped its toe into tennis this year but I can't imagine them re-working their schedules for the huge screen time needed to cover the sport. The BBC doesn't have room for it, Virgin doesn't have a sports channel and other satellite/cable players lack the resources.

The doomsday scenario is that nobody takes the rights, in which case we'll all just have to subscribe to TennisTV.com.

One thing's for sure. We'll be able to watch WTA next year. The only question is how much we'll have to pay.
DanBrusca is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote