News confirmed: No tennis on Eurosport in 2013 outside the slams - Page 26 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 28th, 2012, 02:41 PM   #376
country flag Meelis
Team WTAworld

Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute
Re: News confirmed: No tennis on Eurosport in 2013 outside the slams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyFella View Post
Punished myself and watched horrible presentation by Allaser, only thing i didn't get is PERFOM deal, so they made new deal to show more\better coverage of WTA on TennisTV or what? Did they planning to lift lockout of WTA events in Europe?
http://www.wtatennis.com/news/201112...256076_2557594
Meelis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 28th, 2012, 02:43 PM   #377
country flag SantaBabyTennis

SantaBabyTennis is a splendid one to behold SantaBabyTennis is a splendid one to behold SantaBabyTennis is a splendid one to behold SantaBabyTennis is a splendid one to behold SantaBabyTennis is a splendid one to behold SantaBabyTennis is a splendid one to behold SantaBabyTennis is a splendid one to behold SantaBabyTennis is a splendid one to behold SantaBabyTennis is a splendid one to behold SantaBabyTennis is a splendid one to behold SantaBabyTennis is a splendid one to behold

It's amazing that Stacey doesn't get we'd so pay for Tennis TV if they actually showed women's tennis. How many people really give a damn if early round matches have commentators? Just have someone to keep score FFS, and we're happy. You can't tell me this costs more than we're all willing to pay to get it. Stupid cow.
SantaBabyTennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 02:44 PM   #378
country flag KournikovaFan91
*Sesil*

KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg View Post
Oh yeah, Allaster has been great. Sending the WTA into some obscure TV-channels with 20 viewers or into channels that show ATP 1000 events.

I'm actually starting to think Eurosport dropped WTA and wants to try for some ATP stuff in the future.

It will be interesting to hear what the different ES commentators say today. Keep your ears open if they even touch the subject.
Wouldn't even try arguing that poster backs up the establishment at every opportunity.

Léigh anois go cúramach ar do scrúdpháipéar na treoracha agus na ceisteanna a gahbann le cuid A
KournikovaFan91 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 02:51 PM   #379
country flag The Daviator

The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute

People are unwilling to think of the WTA for what it is, a business. It's a product that generates money, and she wants to generate as much as possible. I hated the Doha YECs, but of course they're going to get them over a better location if Doha are offering a crazy amount of $$$$$$s.

I loved and miss the European indoor events, but these were in small-ish venues in countries with small markets and little potential for income, i.e. Switzerland, of course those tournaments are going to be eroded to make way for a big event in China with a lot of investors. It's a business.
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 03:00 PM   #380
country flag ShiftyFella

ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelis View Post
thanks, press-release still doesn't explain actual global availability. most of PERFOM services are locked to local content providers with their own restrictions
ShiftyFella is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 03:03 PM   #381
country flag Zamboni
Vamorza!

Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Daviator View Post
People are unwilling to think of the WTA for what it is, a business. It's a product that generates money, and she wants to generate as much as possible. I hated the Doha YECs, but of course they're going to get them over a better location if Doha are offering a crazy amount of $$$$$$s.

I loved and miss the European indoor events, but these were in small-ish venues in countries with small markets and little potential for income, i.e. Switzerland, of course those tournaments are going to be eroded to make way for a big event in China with a lot of investors. It's a business.
You're right, when you think of the short term only. In the long term, lack of coverage, and having tournaments in countries with no tennis history that barely draw a crowd, is going to hurt tennis. It's going to make fans turn away, it makes it harder for new fans to find the sport, and in the long term that will hurt the "product".

In a way I understand the WTA, but as a fan it's hard to swallow.
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 05:01 PM   #382
country flag Joana

Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute

So, this is the end of SEWTA coverage on Eurosport as we know it. Kinda sad.
On to Melbourne.
Joana is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 05:17 PM   #383
coolfish1103

coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelis View Post
It actually only said Premier events, is that why Eurosport said they might show 1-2 smaller events?

Perhaps the ones in International series
coolfish1103 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 05:18 PM   #384
country flag Kon.

Kon. has a reputation beyond repute Kon. has a reputation beyond repute Kon. has a reputation beyond repute Kon. has a reputation beyond repute Kon. has a reputation beyond repute Kon. has a reputation beyond repute Kon. has a reputation beyond repute Kon. has a reputation beyond repute Kon. has a reputation beyond repute Kon. has a reputation beyond repute Kon. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joana View Post
So, this is the end of SEWTA coverage on Eurosport as we know it. Kinda sad.
On to Melbourne.
Yeah.
I'm actually sad.
Kon. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 05:25 PM   #385
*Sesil*

KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamboni View Post
You're right, when you think of the short term only. In the long term, lack of coverage, and having tournaments in countries with no tennis history that barely draw a crowd, is going to hurt tennis. It's going to make fans turn away, it makes it harder for new fans to find the sport, and in the long term that will hurt the "product".

Agree its only a short term gain for the WTA. In the long term its going to do more damage to the WTA then anything.

Léigh anois go cúramach ar do scrúdpháipéar na treoracha agus na ceisteanna a gahbann le cuid A
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 05:27 PM   #386
country flag Wiggly

Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KournikovaFan91 View Post
Agree its only a short term gain for the WTA. In the long term its going to do more damage to the WTA then anything.
Like many posters said previously, Allister is a CEO. She only think short term to enhance her own resume.
Wiggly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 05:30 PM   #387
*Sesil*

Surely it doesn't operate like a dictatorship there must be more long-term board members.

Old Oct 28th, 2012, 05:53 PM   #388
country flag The Daviator

The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamboni View Post

True to an extent, but how are you going to grow the sport in these regions if you don't take the leap and invest in them? You can keep tennis confined to USA/Europe forever but in doing that you're neglecting an enormous potential market, particularly Asia which is in a position economically to invest in "products" like the WTA. Tennis may be huge in certain countries in 20-30 years because of what the WTA is doing now.
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 06:15 PM   #389
country flag Zamboni
Vamorza!

Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Daviator View Post
True to an extent, but how are you going to grow the sport in these regions if you don't take the leap and invest in them? You can keep tennis confined to USA/Europe forever but in doing that you're neglecting an enormous potential market, particularly Asia which is in a position economically to invest in "products" like the WTA. Tennis may be huge in certain countries in 20-30 years because of what the WTA is doing now.
That's true for the tournaments, not true for the tv contracts. And it's the lack of open coverage for next year that annoys me most. I can understand they give tournament slots to those places who pay most. I can also understand they want to try and exploit tennis in 'growth regions', I cannot understand why they would take open coverage away. All these paychannels and internet streams are going to seriously hurt exposure. I don't think that is worth the extra money.

I guess we'll see in 30 years how it all turned out.
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 07:05 PM   #390
country flag Hedberg

Hedberg is just really nice Hedberg is just really nice Hedberg is just really nice Hedberg is just really nice Hedberg is just really nice Hedberg is just really nice Hedberg is just really nice Hedberg is just really nice Hedberg is just really nice Hedberg is just really nice Hedberg is just really nice

Where is Jean's post about Eurosport and WTA ratings? It just disappeared? If it's true then there's really no point for them to pay more money. If smaller ATP tournaments beat Premier events it's wiser to go after them. Anyway they still have three Grand Slams and if they'd have to choose where to invest, it would be a no-brainer. 3 GS-tournaments > 20 WTA events.
Hedberg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote