Greg Garber(ESPN): "Petra Kvitova - the biggest disappointment" - Page 7 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 8th, 2012, 04:55 AM   #91
country flag In The Zone
it's serena, bitch.

In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Greg Garber(ESPN): "Petra Kvitova - the biggest disappointment"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitten View Post
True in a way, but her sophomore slump is the same thing that happened to other players that went on to become great.

She is still growing into things and has a lot of upside to tap into. Although, I wish she had just been able to get her hands on Azarenka so she could bury her.

It's overreacting to write her off.
Ding ding ding.

Serena went 2.5 years between her first and second slam. Let's see what happens. Not fair to call her a disappointment - yet.
In The Zone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 8th, 2012, 05:04 AM   #92
country flag Mynarco
INAZUMA

Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute
2013 is an important year for Petra to prove to doubters

Suicide: 08 Montreal 08 Stuttgart 09 USO 11 Eastbourne Stanford 13 Sydney Highest ranked #03
Tennis Tipping: 09 Cincy D 10 Brisbane D Copenhagen SD 11 Palermo D Beijing S 12 Pattaya S Stuttgart Baku D 13 Palermo D 14 Monterrey D(SCHR: 17 DCHR: 10)
Mynarco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 05:15 AM   #93
country flag Morrissey

Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold

I can see Greg Garber's argument Petra didn't have a GREAT 2012 but she was consistent semifinalist at the Australian and French Opens, quarterfinalist at Wimbledon, fourth round at US Open.

After the incredible 2011, the media expected Petra to keep it up and dominate the game that did NOT happen.

The Sharapova match at the Australian Open was SO CLOSE but the problem was I think Petra felt the pressure if she won that match she would have reached number one. I think Petra crumbled under the pressure and she hasn't been the same since.

Petra did win two titles this year so she does have some consistency now. I think the problem for Petra is her fitness and I cannot believe people make excuses but the girl needs to get into much better physical shape. I think against Bartoli, Petra was tired because she won so much she played too much tennis winning Montreal, and New Haven, and also reaching semifinals of Cincinatti. She needs to really give 150% on her fitness lose the baby fat.

Petra also might also need to give more margin on her shots and maybe play some doubles and come to net more.

I think Petra is more naturally talented than Victoria BUT I see that Victoria has dedicated herself to fitness she is in amaazing physical shape.

If Petra can improve her fitness I believe her results will improve.
Morrissey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 05:20 AM   #94
country flag Morrissey

Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by @danieln1 View Post
She was supposed to dominate this year, but she flopped, and she is the biggest disapointment this year for me, by far.

What is the most shocking is that she is MUCH MORE talented than the current world number 1, as proved when they faced last year on the tour. But the current number 1 is better prepared physically, that explains her higher ranking compared to Petra.

100% of people know that if Kvitova is playing her best, the current number 1 doesn´t stand a chance, since Petra game is to finish points quickly with the winner, opposed to the grinding game style.
I agree with this comment Victoria seems more determined that Petra to be honest. Victoria is talented but she doesn't have the explosive power that Petra has. Petra's serve is superior and so are her groundstrokes.

However, Victoria is a serious athlete the girl can run she has good variety and she definitely hits the gym she is in great shape.

The fitness is the key for Petra she can't give 70% off the court she needs to lose that gut and get toned and get into top physical condition.

The better fit Petra is the better her movement is going to be on the court.
Morrissey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 05:47 PM   #95
country flag danieln1
VIP and The Cheesecake Factory

danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrissey View Post
I agree with this comment Victoria seems more determined that Petra to be honest. Victoria is talented but she doesn't have the explosive power that Petra has. Petra's serve is superior and so are her groundstrokes.

However, Victoria is a serious athlete the girl can run she has good variety and she definitely hits the gym she is in great shape.

The fitness is the key for Petra she can't give 70% off the court she needs to lose that gut and get toned and get into top physical condition.

The better fit Petra is the better her movement is going to be on the court.
Yeah, a fit Petra and with confidence in her shots will be a very dificult opponent for anyone.

Ivanovic - Görges - Agnieszka - Li - Woz

Venus - Kvitova - Putintseva - Robson - Stosur - Cibulkova - Stephens

that is so disrespectful.... so disrespectful!
danieln1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 06:10 PM   #96
country flag Linguae^

Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future

She got blindsided by Azarenka, totally, everyone expected Kvitova to dominate this year after the end of the last one, but Azarenka took that spot and stole the show. It was unpredictable at the end of the last year, but now it's true and we see that Azarenka is a more stable player than Kvitova, who seems to have shone only once.
Linguae^ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 06:25 PM   #97
country flag Stonerpova
`

Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linguae^ View Post
She got blindsided by Azarenka, totally, everyone expected Kvitova to dominate this year after the end of the last one, but Azarenka took that spot and stole the show. It was unpredictable at the end of the last year, but now it's true and we see that Azarenka is a more stable player than Kvitova, who seems to have shone only once.

http://imageshack.us/a/img534/5492/maria1y.pnghttp://img689.imageshack.us/img689/4647/xk7s.png
Sharapova Ivanovic Jankovic Pavs Wozniacki Wickmayer Goerges Cetkovska Vaidisova
Tweet. Tumble. Blog.

Stonerpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 08:13 PM   #98
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Zone View Post
Ding ding ding.

Serena went 2.5 years between her first and second slam. Let's see what happens. Not fair to call her a disappointment - yet.
Serena won her first at 17/18..Petra won her first at age 21. Don't have the luxury, but the point is good.
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
17 majors:5255

Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 08:27 PM   #99
country flag PetraReeMona

PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrissey View Post
I can see Greg Garber's argument Petra didn't have a GREAT 2012 but she was consistent semifinalist at the Australian and French Opens, quarterfinalist at Wimbledon, fourth round at US Open.

After the incredible 2011, the media expected Petra to keep it up and dominate the game that did NOT happen.

The Sharapova match at the Australian Open was SO CLOSE but the problem was I think Petra felt the pressure if she won that match she would have reached number one. I think Petra crumbled under the pressure and she hasn't been the same since.

Petra did win two titles this year so she does have some consistency now. I think the problem for Petra is her fitness and I cannot believe people make excuses but the girl needs to get into much better physical shape. I think against Bartoli, Petra was tired because she won so much she played too much tennis winning Montreal, and New Haven, and also reaching semifinals of Cincinatti. She needs to really give 150% on her fitness lose the baby fat.

Petra also might also need to give more margin on her shots and maybe play some doubles and come to net more.

I think Petra is more naturally talented than Victoria BUT I see that Victoria has dedicated herself to fitness she is in amaazing physical shape.

If Petra can improve her fitness I believe her results will improve.
A great post and rational
PetraReeMona is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 08:35 PM   #100
country flag SelesGOAT

SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all

The worrisome thing for Petra is even when she played well this year she still lost to Serena and Sharapova. The feeling before this year was when Petra played well she would usually win the title, but that was not the case. She didnt play Azarenka but one would think looking at their success she probably would have lost to her too. Add to that she has still has periods of inconsistency, while she has gotten better with that, and she has her work cut out fo rher.
SelesGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 08:37 PM   #101
country flag GoofyDuck

GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute

I hope she gets in shape during the offseason by some serious workouts unlike her Turkey or Czech Spa camps

Jelena Jankovic - Vera Zvonareva - Zhang Shuai - Venus Williams - Petra Kvitova - Zheng Jie - Li Na - Serena Williams - Peng Shuai - Hsieh Su-Wei
GoofyDuck is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 08:46 PM   #102
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelesGOAT View Post
The worrisome thing for Petra is even when she played well this year she still lost to Serena and Sharapova. The feeling before this year was when Petra played well she would usually win the title, but that was not the case. She didnt play Azarenka but one would think looking at their success she probably would have lost to her too. Add to that she has still has periods of inconsistency, while she has gotten better with that, and she has her work cut out fo rher.
Yeah, she "played well" leading up to those matches, but no where near what she played last year.

I shouldn't have to break it down, but Petra's level was not comparable.

In addition to her actual play, Petra's injuries, illnesses, adjusting to her new found fame, responsibilities and expectations, etc., has to be taken in consideration as well.

Azarenka was already a top 10 player for the last few years, and hadn't won a slam. And when she finally won one and became number one--no one noticed or had any expectations for her (no pressure), cause she wasn't the one being tapped by the media.

Even now, many tennis die hards and media still don't take her seriously, cause they don't feel she has the game to dominate. That helps her.

As far as Petra, we'll see where the next 3 months-two years takes her?
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 08:55 PM   #103
country flag Patrick345

Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
Yeah, she "played well" leading up to those matches, but no where near what she played last year.

I shouldn't have to break it down, but Petra's level was not comparable.

In addition to her actual play, Petra's injuries, illnesses, adjusting to her new found fame, responsibilities and expectations, etc., has to be taken in consideration as well.

Azarenka was already a top 10 player for the last few years, and hadn't won a slam. And when she finally won one and became number one--no one noticed or had any expectations for her (no pressure), cause she wasn't the one being tapped by the media.

Even now, many tennis die hards and media still don't take her seriously, cause they don't feel she has the game to dominate. That helps her.

As far as Petra, we'll see where the next 3 months-two years takes her?
Quiet. 24 SLAMS.
Patrick345 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 09:04 PM   #104
Viktymise
King

Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute

Ludmila playing very well would beat Vuvuzenka on any surface, not just the one's where she has the obvious advantages. But she's barely played well all year.

I expect that there's still big things to come in the coming years. This year was meh, but she still made 2 slam SFs, and won a P5. If that's the disappointing bit then she's got nothing to worry about.
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 09:09 PM   #105
country flag Cindy and Kate

Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute

Biggest dissapointment, by what standars ?
That she isnt number one this year and hasnt won 4 GS ?
She is still number 5 in the world, two semis in GS, has won
two titles and earned over 2 million dollars in prize money this year.
all this plus having several injuries that have obviously affected her game.
People should leave her alone a bit,at least until next year, but I agree that fitness is a big issue
for her that she´ll have to sort out sooner or later.
Cindy and Kate is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote