Greg Garber(ESPN): "Petra Kvitova - the biggest disappointment" - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 12th, 2012, 04:01 PM   #46
country flag justineheninfan

justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Greg Garber(ESPN): "Petra Kvitova - the biggest disappointment"

In big matches this year she was mostly losing to players like Serena or Sharapova. It is hard to fault her that much for that. She obviously isnt playing badly, she just isnt playing quite well enough when it counts.

Maybe with the pressure off her again we will see her swing a bit more freely again and come up with some bigger wins again. I agree with banadou though she needs to show more fight when things arent going her way in a match, or when she feels a bit off. Her mentality really seperates her from Serena, Sharapova, and Azarenka right now, especialy the latter two who really dont have a better game right now, just a stronger mind.
justineheninfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 12th, 2012, 04:13 PM   #47
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by justineheninfan View Post
In big matches this year she was mostly losing to players like Serena or Sharapova. It is hard to fault her that much for that. She obviously isnt playing badly, she just isnt playing quite well enough when it counts.

Maybe with the pressure off her again we will see her swing a bit more freely again and come up with some bigger wins again. I agree with banadou though she needs to show more fight when things arent going her way in a match, or when she feels a bit off. Her mentality really seperates her from Serena, Sharapova, and Azarenka right now, especialy the latter two who really dont have a better game right now, just a stronger mind.
Well said.

It's almost like she checked out when things didn't go her way this year against certain opponents.

And example would be, she would hit a shot that she didn't expect to come back, so wouldn't be ready for the return. That's on a smaller level.

And if she had you on multiple BP's and couldn't break (mind you the poor approach she took toward them), it's like she would tank her serve the service game or the rest of the set. That's on a bigger level.

It's not that she's not strong mentally strong certain matches. Petra has been. She just has to be mentally strong in every or almost every scenario, than selectively.

Quite honestly, she was much more that way last year when she needed to be, though she may not had been as consistent tournament to tournament. But she had more confidence, played better, and had more zeal to win. And like you said, she was swinging much better as well.

And of course it didn't help her that she didn't play Azarenka or Radwanka in her draws, or Sharapova on faster surfaces. But you gotta play who's in front of you.

It's all a learning process. She should be back.
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 04:15 PM   #48
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashaMasha View Post
"in the forth round she is playing Marion Bartoli. She beats her easily in the first and goes down 2-6, 0-6
This is a Wimbledon Champion from last year. This is a big lefty player who we expected great things of this year. She was one of those women who we thought might challenge Serena. .........Not even close.... "
She was definitely the biggest disappointment to me. But in fact she's had, by "normal" standards, a very good season. It's not her fault that some folks - myself included - decided that based on her 2011 she was going to totally dominate the tour in 2012. Still yeah - I do think that she rarely played nearly up to her potential this year.
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 04:56 PM   #49
country flag missvarsha

missvarsha has a brilliant future missvarsha has a brilliant future missvarsha has a brilliant future missvarsha has a brilliant future missvarsha has a brilliant future missvarsha has a brilliant future missvarsha has a brilliant future missvarsha has a brilliant future missvarsha has a brilliant future missvarsha has a brilliant future missvarsha has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by pov View Post
She was definitely the biggest disappointment to me. But in fact she's had, by "normal" standards, a very good season. It's not her fault that some folks - myself included - decided that based on her 2011 she was going to totally dominate the tour in 2012. Still yeah - I do think that she rarely played nearly up to her potential this year.
Certainly its "not her fault". But obviously Ludmilla should be judged at a different standard because of the huge talent she possesses. She can of course turn into the SEWTA version of Mark Phillipoussis, a lazy, completely uncommitted supremely talented player who vultures the occasional title but never puts it together when it matters. Or she could be a great champion. Her choice, really.

But to me her demeanor on court is entirely "Let me hit every ball as hard as I can, if it lands in for a ridiculous winner, then KROTT ! If not, oh well who cares"
missvarsha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 05:15 PM   #50
country flag Thiudans

Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
now - except this thread there is 0 attention to Kvitova on this forum, 0 interest from the press. Former Wimbledon Champion becomes invisible in just 9 months
I don't know how many I speak for (but I'd guess quite a lot of people), but despite how many threads there are on this forum about her, I still have a great interest in her. Only a fool could overlook her talent and potential (much of it already realised), because of a few bad months. She's invisible only to those who close their eyes to her, in stupidity. (And you say this even considering positive signs during the past few weeks . Ridiculous)

Anyone can see that, given what was expected of her, this year is indeed disappointing, but your comments...
Thiudans is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 05:47 PM   #51
country flag Raiden

Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
a year ago TF was flooded by
1) Kvitova = next player who will dominate WTA and will win all next Wimbledons
2) Kvitova will beat Masha,Vika on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays
3) Kvitova will emulate Martina Navratilova
4) she has that powerful game that can challenge Serena

now - except this thread there is 0 attention to Kvitova on this forum, 0 interest from the press. Former Wimbledon Champion becomes invisible in just 9 months
Dude, it's only been one year. Be patient.

Lest ye forget, I could name multiples of players who won their first slam but then failed to follow that up immediately with their second one until two/three years later. Examples of that include Serena and a certain other player you know very well (she's tall, blonde and currently pressed about another tall blonde).
Raiden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 05:50 PM   #52
country flag Brad[le]y.
Wingis <3

Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xepher View Post
How about Wozniacki?
Wozniacki was expected to drop, Kvitova was expected to get to number 1 and win more majors.

Last edited by Brad[le]y. : Sep 12th, 2012 at 05:58 PM.
Brad[le]y. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 05:53 PM   #53
country flag justineheninfan

justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinaH_4ever View Post
Wozniacki was expected to climb, Kvitova was expected to get to number 1 and win more majors.
Wozniacki was expected by most knowledgable people to drop in a big way this year. Which is what she did. She was only a marginal dissapointment at best.
justineheninfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 05:54 PM   #54
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Wozniacki was expected to climb, Kvitova was expected to get to number 1 and win more majors.
You mean Wozniaki was expected to drop?
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 05:56 PM   #55
country flag jj74

jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute

She was quite consistent, even when she wasn't at her best form most of the year.
It's very common to have to wait some time between your first and second GS tittle.

I expect her to improve next year, she has the potential to dominate
jj74 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 05:58 PM   #56
country flag Brad[le]y.
Wingis <3

Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by justineheninfan View Post
Wozniacki was expected by most knowledgable people to drop in a big way this year. Which is what she did. She was only a marginal dissapointment at best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
You mean Wozniaki was expected to drop?
Sorry I meant drop
Brad[le]y. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 06:00 PM   #57
country flag Miracle Worker

Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't say that Petra is the biggest disappointment. It's not her fault that 3 players finally reached good form.

And I guess Petra won't finish this season with less than 7000 points.
Kimiko Date Krumm, Tomas Berdych, Michail Youzhny, Daniel Brands
Elena Dementieva, Julia Cohen, Anna Chakvetadze
Miracle Worker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 06:05 PM   #58
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
Wozniacki was expected to drop, Kvitova was expected to get to number 1 and win more majors.

And yes, I saw your other post to me and J.Heninfan.
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 06:33 PM   #59
faboozadoo15

faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute

It's normal to have a sophomore slump. Serena, Sharapova, and a lot of other players have plateaued a bit after they broke through. Some of her losses are a bit irritating though.

In 2011 it seemed like many tournaments were up for grabs, and this year I think the quality was a bit better and players really had to fight for whatever they got.
faboozadoo15 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 07:29 PM   #60
edificio

edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute

Petra salvaged her year with the HC season, but she was a disappointment overall in that she wasn't able to build on her YEC triumph at the beginning of the new year. What we found out is that she doesn't yet have a consistent world-beater mentality. I think she will grow in the next few seasons and take on the mantle of slam champion. She also experienced a sophomore slump. Not surprising, really. I still expect great things from her.

What I don't understand is why people are saying she can't beat Sharapova. She certainly can and has.

She needs to develop a winning mentality and get fit, and she will win slams again.
edificio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote