Music Thread - Page 8 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 9th, 2013, 02:23 PM   #106
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Music Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
Interesting release for sure. But I think I have the 'stones live' section of my record collection covered. Cd's, dvd's - it almost seems like the Stones release a new live album or video every couple of months. I would rather see them working on a new studio album than selling us yet another live album with Jumpin' Jack Flash and Satisfaction.
I completely understand your point. They have released plenty of live albums but most of them have been well after their prime. There is a huge difference between hearing them as hungry, young and vital musicians as opposed to hearing them today. This one is very much when they were at or near their peak and all of the tracks are from 1968-1973. It does feature "Jumpin' Jack Flash" but there is no "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" to be found. Also, did I mention that Mick Taylor is featured? Mick Taylor!

Somewhat ironically a few of those live albums you mentioned arrived in the post today (Still Life, Stripped and No Security). I found them cheap and thought that it was time to plug the holes in my Rolling Stones collection.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 9th, 2013, 03:16 PM   #107
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
I completely understand your point. They have released plenty of live albums but most of them have been well after their prime. There is a huge difference between hearing them as hungry, young and vital musicians as opposed to hearing them today. This one is very much when they were at or near their peak and all of the tracks are from 1968-1973. It does feature "Jumpin' Jack Flash" but there is no "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" to be found. Also, did I mention that Mick Taylor is featured? Mick Taylor!

Somewhat ironically a few of those live albums you mentioned arrived in the post today (Still Life, Stripped and No Security). I found them cheap and thought that it was time to plug the holes in my Rolling Stones collection.
"Stripped" is the best of those by far. The other two are routine Stones live albums. Not bad of course, but not outstanding either.
Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 06:24 PM   #108
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
"Stripped" is the best of those by far. The other two are routine Stones live albums. Not bad of course, but not outstanding either.
Just judging by the tracklisting No Security is certainly not a typical "greatest hits live" disc. If anything the tracklist may be a bit too idiosyncratic.

Did you splurge on the deluxe Charlie Is My Darling release? I am mighty tempted but that sucker ain't cheap!

Old May 9th, 2013, 08:14 PM   #109
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
Just judging by the tracklisting No Security is certainly not a typical "greatest hits live" disc. If anything the tracklist may be a bit too idiosyncratic.

Did you splurge on the deluxe Charlie Is My Darling release? I am mighty tempted but that sucker ain't cheap!
No, I can't say that I have. But so much money for a box set of live recordings from 1965? I'm not sure. You probably can't hear half of it because of the screaming girls. It's probably a bit like Got Live if you Want It!, their first live album. Good as a historical document, but not prime Stones - at least not as a live band. But the movie might make it worth it.

I have a slight preference for No Security over Still Life because of it's idiosyncratic track list myself. As I said earlier, how many recordings of Jumpin Jack Flash, Honky Tonk Women or Satisfaction does one person need?
Old May 9th, 2013, 09:40 PM   #110
country flag DownInAHole

Quote:
No, I can't say that I have. But so much money for a box set of live recordings from 1965? I'm not sure. You probably can't hear half of it because of the screaming girls. It's probably a bit like Got Live if you Want It!, their first live album. Good as a historical document, but not prime Stones - at least not as a live band. But the movie might make it worth it.

I have a slight preference for No Security over Still Life because of it's idiosyncratic track list myself. As I said earlier, how many recordings of Jumpin Jack Flash, Honky Tonk Women or Satisfaction does one person need?
Well, the DVD is available separately for what I consider a fair price. I'm just such a sucker for those lavish box sets with the unnecessary/useless "extras." I did manage to score the deluxe box set of the Ladies and Gentlemen: The Rolling Stones DVD and I am now the very proud owner of a Rolling Stones scarf. It is getting pretty crazy though, they are absolutely inundating us with releases over the last few years.

Oh, I agree that it is great to have some "rare" tracks performed over the same old warhorses but I would have picked a completely different tracklist. Still, No Security is probably the last live album that they will release with such a "strange" set of songs.

Okay, you said you were a big Bob Dylan fan and if you are buying live Rolling Stones albums you must be a big fan of them also but who else do you really dig? I think that I am roughly half your age but we seem to have somewhat similar tastes.

Old May 9th, 2013, 10:47 PM   #111
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

^^
I'm into lots of stuff. Most of the things you would expect from someone who likes artists like the Stones and Dylan, but also jazz and classical music (including opera).
Old May 12th, 2013, 11:12 PM   #112
country flag DownInAHole

I have recently come to the realisation that this is the Greatest Song Ever:

Old May 18th, 2013, 10:29 PM   #113
country flag KleineBiere

KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute

congrats to denmark
Old May 18th, 2013, 10:51 PM   #114
country flag Hoergren
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of

Let's celebrate with Denmark - here is the song that won the European Song Contest 2013 - tonight:

Hoergren is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2013, 10:52 PM   #115
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KleineBiere View Post
congrats to denmark
Must be her lucky panties .. (I swear. I am not making it up. Among the ... literally 5-10 daily immaterial articles over the last 2-3 weeks, one article was about her wearing her lucky panties. I only saw a headline, so I cannot elaborate ).

Anyone old enough to remember Carola?

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1

Last edited by TennisFan66 : May 18th, 2013 at 11:01 PM.
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2013, 08:13 AM   #116
country flag Jorn
Good Luck Caro in 2014!

Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute

Tillykke Danmark!

Caroline Wozniacki Result page
Caroline Wozniacki tennis Forums
Jorn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2013, 09:27 AM   #117
country flag angliru

angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. A Danish favourite actually wins an event?

WD, Emmelie.
angliru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2013, 11:02 AM   #118
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Forget about Che Guevara, Messi, Maradonna, Evita, Sabatini, Vilas, delPotro or Piazzolla. For me the greatest Argentinian ever is the exceptional piano goddess, the one and only Martha Argerich.

Old May 19th, 2013, 04:27 PM   #119
country flag angliru

angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute

Martha Argerich, wow. I didn't expect to see her name in a thread here. I really like her Rachmaninov 3rd. She's such a fierce lioness! I had a youtube link to the finale of Prokofievs 3rd concerto, but somehow it's been removed. But I'm sure it's still out there (can't be bothered to search now). The last 2 minutes are unbelieable

I think I have 5 or 6 of her Schumann Concerto recordings lying around, including one made when she was 11 years old (on medias like LP, cd, dvd and blu-rays).
angliru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2013, 05:26 PM   #120
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Oxygen wasn't the Danish entry?
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote