Best Women's Grand Slam Matches of the Last Decade - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 9th, 2012, 03:21 AM   #1
country flag Thirty All

Thirty All is a name known to all Thirty All is a name known to all Thirty All is a name known to all Thirty All is a name known to all Thirty All is a name known to all Thirty All is a name known to all Thirty All is a name known to all Thirty All is a name known to all Thirty All is a name known to all Thirty All is a name known to all Thirty All is a name known to all
Best Women's Grand Slam Matches of the Last Decade

1. Serena Williams def. Elena Dementieva Wimbledon 2009

I was rooting for Dementieva the whole way, but I was just as awed by Serena, clawing her way through to a win. Elena got unlucky on many lines calls, but the quality was amazing . The drama was great

2. Venus Williams def. Martina Hingis US Open 2000

The rallies were excellent, with Hingis taking the ball early and Venus stretching for all the balls in the corner. Venus was on the brink of losing the match, before turning it around by returning a smash for a passing shot winner.

3. Venus Williams def. Lindsay Davenport 2005 Wimbledon
Honestly think this match is slightly overrated, as the quality wasn't the best. Glad to see Venus finally winning another grand slam, but was gutted for Lindsay, especially losing that match point.

4. Serena Williams def. Maria Sharapova 2005 Australian Open

The quality wasn't outt of this world, but the drama was there. You had Sharapova winning their last two matches, and Serena trying to avenge her losses. Serena saved three matchpoints in ridiculous style.

5. Justine Henin def. Jennifer Capriati 2003 US Open

Some amazing rallies, and Jen getting two points away from the win over ten times. Heartbreaking for Jennifer not to get to the USO final.

6. Justine Henin def. Elena Dementieva 2010 Australian Open

Henin's second tournament back from her comeback, and Dementieva having set points in both sets. Almost 3 hours, with only two points played. Imagine if Dementieva had clinched the second set in that tiebreaker!

7. Samantha Stosur def. Serena Williams 2010 French Open
No one really gave Stosur a chance in this match, but after choking the second set, she saved a match point in the third, and served for the match in style after beating Serena in two stunning rallies.

8. Svetlana Kuznetsova def. Serena Williams 2009 French Open
Both players choking, good rallies and shotmaking, and a great atmosphere. Serena's best chance to win the French after 2003.

9. Venus Williams def. Martina Hingis 2000 Wimbledon
Not really mentioned here a lot, but Venus's breakthrough at Wimbledon, playing against the world number one. Will never forget that one-handed backhand winner down the line from Martina Hingis, though!

10. Venus Williams def. Serena Williams 2008 Wimbledon
Great quality, could've been a classic had it gone to three sets. The shotmaking and the clean power hitting from both made it such a great encounter.

Last edited by Thirty All : Sep 9th, 2012 at 04:16 AM.
Thirty All is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 9th, 2012, 03:35 AM   #2
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best Women's Grand Slam Matches of the Last Decade

I'll add a few
I thought Stosur/Henin was a big match and very important at 2010 FO. It showed Sam could play well enough to win a major and that Justine wasnt the same player.

Dementieva/Capriati 2004 USO. That was in one of those wind tunnels like Murray-Berdych, and a great match, that might have cost Jennifer a US Open title

I think Azarenka-Sharapova ranks in there from this week.
The 2nd time they met at a major this year, that was an important match and they left it all out there in almost 3 hours
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 04:05 AM   #3
country flag Rome

Rome is a splendid one to behold Rome is a splendid one to behold Rome is a splendid one to behold Rome is a splendid one to behold Rome is a splendid one to behold Rome is a splendid one to behold Rome is a splendid one to behold Rome is a splendid one to behold Rome is a splendid one to behold Rome is a splendid one to behold Rome is a splendid one to behold

Serena vs Davenport 2001 and Serena vs Kim 2003 how could you forget these match big babe tennis at it's best.
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 04:08 AM   #4
country flag brickhousesupporter

brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute

No Caro matches?
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 04:14 AM   #5
country flag Marcus1979
Team WTAworld

Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute

that Venus/Hingis match from 2000 Wimbledon is such a underrated match. Its one of my fav matches between them qual;ity wise.

2000 US Open match had a lot of drama but was not that great quality wise.
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 04:17 AM   #6
country flag Thirty All

Thirty All is a name known to all Thirty All is a name known to all Thirty All is a name known to all Thirty All is a name known to all Thirty All is a name known to all Thirty All is a name known to all Thirty All is a name known to all Thirty All is a name known to all Thirty All is a name known to all Thirty All is a name known to all Thirty All is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rome View Post
Serena vs Davenport 2001 and Serena vs Kim 2003 how could you forget these match big babe tennis at it's best.
Yep both were great matches!
Thirty All is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 04:21 AM   #7
country flag young_gunner913
Praise thy name.

young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute

Serena Williams def Victoria Azarenka 2010 AO QF 4-6, 7-6, 6-2 - Vika was shocking pretty much everyone playing so well to get up to a 6-4, 4-0 lead then Serena flipped the switch and the rest is history.
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 04:44 AM   #8
country flag ptkten

ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute

I would add the 2008 U.S. Open final Serena Williams d. Jelena Jankovic.

Even though it was straight sets, it was one of the more thrilling matches I can recall. So many great rallies.

McHale-Stephens-Watson-Robson-Townsend

Brodsky-Muhammed-Hampton-Keys-Crawford-Andrews-Hardebeck
ptkten is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 05:15 AM   #9
country flag VeeJJ
Flawless

VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Legend df. Rena 2001 AO QF

Victoria Azarenka ~ Venus Williams
Maria Kirilenko ~ Petra Kvitova

Last edited by VeeJJ : Sep 9th, 2012 at 06:11 AM.
VeeJJ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 05:51 AM   #10
country flag égalité

égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeJJ View Post
Legend df. Rena 2002 AO QF
*2001 but YAAASSSS. The drama in that match.

Also, a match that's completely forgotten about (I can't even find highlights anywhere): 2003 RG fourth round, Capriati vs. Petrova. The level of play was stupid. Should've been a semifinal.
Bitttchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh You Better Pay It Honey! The Devil Is A Liar!!!!! Bitches Get Interviews And Shit? Where They Do That At Honey? Girls Are Late Honey!!!! The Queen Needs To Get Into It Honey Cause The Girls Is Late Out Here! Yes Honey Im Throwing Epic Shade!

Management!
égalité is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 06:15 AM   #11
country flag VeeJJ
Flawless

VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by égalité View Post
*2001 but YAAASSSS. The drama in that match.

Also, a match that's completely forgotten about (I can't even find highlights anywhere): 2003 RG fourth round, Capriati vs. Petrova. The level of play was stupid. Should've been a semifinal.
Here you go boo:

And I think the entire match is on Youtube in parts somewhere.

Victoria Azarenka ~ Venus Williams
Maria Kirilenko ~ Petra Kvitova
VeeJJ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 06:59 AM   #12
country flag JustPetko

JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute

Henin d. Venus 2007 USO
Venus d. Kimiko 2011 Wimbledon

TT Singles: (CH: #40) W ITF Biella'10, W ITF Nantes'10, W ITF Dubai'12 | TT Doubles: (CH: #1) ITF Nantes'10, ITF Bucharest'10, Marbella'11, Washington'11, Linz'11, YEC'11, ITF Opole'11, Pattaya'12, Tashkent'12, ITF Pune'12, Memphis'13, Carlsbad'13, Marrakesh'14 | Suicide: (CH: #6) W Luxembourg'12, W Luxembourg'13, F Marbella'11, F Quebec'11, F US Open'11 | Tipping: (CH: #2) W YEC'11, W Acapulco'13, W Brisbane'14, W RG'14, F Brussels'11, F Stanford'11
JustPetko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 08:32 AM   #13
country flag Brad[le]y.
Wingis <3

Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeJJ View Post
Here you go boo:

And I think the entire match is on Youtube in parts somewhere.
Nobody but Queengis

Coming back from 4-1 in the final set and ending the match on a smash winner.
Brad[le]y. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 01:53 PM   #14
country flag Carlsbadwanska

Carlsbadwanska has a brilliant future Carlsbadwanska has a brilliant future Carlsbadwanska has a brilliant future Carlsbadwanska has a brilliant future Carlsbadwanska has a brilliant future Carlsbadwanska has a brilliant future Carlsbadwanska has a brilliant future Carlsbadwanska has a brilliant future Carlsbadwanska has a brilliant future Carlsbadwanska has a brilliant future Carlsbadwanska has a brilliant future

Fransexa - Sexlana AO 2011!
Carlsbadwanska is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 03:14 PM   #15
country flag Six Feet Under
Singleniacki

Six Feet Under has a reputation beyond repute Six Feet Under has a reputation beyond repute Six Feet Under has a reputation beyond repute Six Feet Under has a reputation beyond repute Six Feet Under has a reputation beyond repute Six Feet Under has a reputation beyond repute Six Feet Under has a reputation beyond repute Six Feet Under has a reputation beyond repute Six Feet Under has a reputation beyond repute Six Feet Under has a reputation beyond repute Six Feet Under has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piter View Post
Fransexa - Sexlana AO 2011!
This.