USTA Reinstates Taylor Townsend's Funding (article) - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 8th, 2012, 03:54 PM   #16
country flag Ntosake

Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute
Re: USTA Reinstates Taylor Townsend's Funding (article)

Quote:
Originally Posted by harloo View Post
Translation: We aren't sorry for humiliating the #1 junior player in the world but since the story has picked up negative media attention we'll reinstate her funding.

Taylor and her mother should refuse the money, find a way to improve her fitness, and get private coaching. Fuck the USTA, this absolutely makes no sense.
This.
Ntosake is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 8th, 2012, 04:06 PM   #17
edificio

edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute

Weasel. Ridiculous fake apology. Glad he came out poorly in the court of public opinion.
edificio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 04:12 PM   #18
country flag venusdemilo

venusdemilo is a name known to all venusdemilo is a name known to all venusdemilo is a name known to all venusdemilo is a name known to all venusdemilo is a name known to all venusdemilo is a name known to all venusdemilo is a name known to all venusdemilo is a name known to all venusdemilo is a name known to all venusdemilo is a name known to all venusdemilo is a name known to all

P-Mac needs to go, point blank. He humiliated this young girl and now he's trying to back track. Weak.
venusdemilo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 04:21 PM   #19
country flag Herbert

Herbert is a splendid one to behold Herbert is a splendid one to behold Herbert is a splendid one to behold Herbert is a splendid one to behold Herbert is a splendid one to behold Herbert is a splendid one to behold Herbert is a splendid one to behold Herbert is a splendid one to behold Herbert is a splendid one to behold Herbert is a splendid one to behold Herbert is a splendid one to behold

How do you guys know that McEnroe is the bad guy here?

The only quote I see in that original article in the Wall Street Journal was: "Our concern is her long-term health, number one, and her long-term development as a player," said Patrick McEnroe, the general manager of the USTA's player development program. "We have one goal in mind: For her to be playing in [Arthur Ashe Stadium] in the main draw and competing for major titles when it's time. That's how we make every decision, based on that."

There's nothing humiliating about that or anything that says she's too fat or anything. The embarrassing and humiliating too fat thing was done by crappy sensationalist media like the Daily Mail in the UK (and thread starters on this very message board). That quote also looks like a reaction to the newspaper asking. Possibly because Townsend or her mom went to the media to get this whole story blown out of proportion in the first place.

Or is there a strong indication that Patrick McEnroe went selling this story to the media with his primary target being to humiliate the girl?

Last edited by Herbert : Sep 8th, 2012 at 04:34 PM.
Herbert is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 04:28 PM   #20
country flag shoparound

shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future

Miscommunication? wow what a load of bs
shoparound is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 04:34 PM   #21
country flag sweetadri06

sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute

He needs to be fired, I can't stand him.
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 04:39 PM   #22
country flag vixter

vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbert View Post
How do you guys know that McEnroe is the bad guy here?

The only quote I see in that original article in the Wall Street Journal was: "Our concern is her long-term health, number one, and her long-term development as a player," said Patrick McEnroe, the general manager of the USTA's player development program. "We have one goal in mind: For her to be playing in [Arthur Ashe Stadium] in the main draw and competing for major titles when it's time. That's how we make every decision, based on that."

There's nothing humiliating about that or anything that says she's too fat or anything. The embarrassing and humiliating too fat thing was done by crappy sensationalist media like the Daily Mail in the UK (and thread starters on this very message board). That quote also looks like a reaction to the newspaper asking. Possibly because Townsend or her mom went to the media to get this whole story blown out of proportion in the first place.

Or is there a strong indication that Patrick McEnroe went selling this story to the media with his primary target being to humiliate the girl?
Did you miss the bit where they took away her funding because she was unfit? That is not the same as 'being concerned for one's health" you can show concern in other ways.

Another option could have been to NOT take away her funding and then reinstate it as soon as Davenport and Navratilova got pissed...

Tennis-fan since 2001 Serena-fan since 2001
Don't hate the player hate the game. I dislike noone. Not even Sharapova.
vixter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 04:48 PM   #23
country flag Herbert

Herbert is a splendid one to behold Herbert is a splendid one to behold Herbert is a splendid one to behold Herbert is a splendid one to behold Herbert is a splendid one to behold Herbert is a splendid one to behold Herbert is a splendid one to behold Herbert is a splendid one to behold Herbert is a splendid one to behold Herbert is a splendid one to behold Herbert is a splendid one to behold

No, I did not miss that.

Still, his original quote does not mean her weight was the primary concern in cutting her funding. I still do not see how he ever humiliated her in the media. For one thing because it were tabloids and posters on internet forums (like this one) and on twitter who were quick to jump the gun and call her fat or read his comments as him saying she's fat. Now you have to question why would people directly interpret those harmless comments like that? Is it because it's actually them, the readers and the Davenports and Navratilovas of this world, who think she's overweight? Becuase if they don't, why would they immediately get hung up with the fat angle instead of maybe a stamina and general conditioning angle?

Patrick McEnroe or other people from the USTA did at no time call her fat in the media. I do also not think that he or the USTA went to the media to get that whole story published in the first place.

Saying someone is not as fit as they could be does not mean you're calling that person a fat whale.

And regarding your concern about not funding her trip to the US Open Juniors not being a sign of concern: How do you know the USTA have not given her a plan on fitness and she has not shown she's the required willingness to fully commit herself to being a professional?

She might be winning now and people say she's "good enough, who cares if she's as fit as could be?", but should simply being good enough be the target or should being as good as possible be the target for what seems to be one of the USA's biggest prospects? You all know that making it big on the pro tennis circuit is hard as can be and if you start out unprofessional at 16 and you also start thinking you're good enough at 16 (which isn't as little a kid as a lot of posters seem to think), or at least don't show utmost intent and eagerness to be as good, as fit and as professional as can be....chances are you will just join the long list of so called prodigies that never really lived up to their promise at the pros.

Last edited by Herbert : Sep 8th, 2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 05:18 PM   #24
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
No, I did not miss that.

Still, his original quote does not mean her weight was the primary concern in cutting her funding. I still do not see how he ever humiliated her in the media. For one thing because it were tabloids and posters on internet forums (like this one) and on twitter who were quick to jump the gun and call her fat or read his comments as him saying she's fat. Now you have to question why would people directly interpret those harmless comments like that? Is it because it's actually them, the readers and the Davenports and Navratilovas of this world, who think she's overweight? Becuase if they don't, why would they immediately get hung up with the fat angle instead of maybe a stamina and general conditioning angle?

Patrick McEnroe or other people from the USTA did at no time call her fat in the media. I do also not think that he or the USTA went to the media to get that whole story published in the first place.

Saying someone is not as fit as they could be does not mean you're calling that person a fat whale.
It appears to me you don't understand Corporate speak/BS.

If some ask you" Is it true you pulled Taylor Townsends's funding, and asked her not to play at the US Open", and McEnroe responds "Our Biggest Concern has always been her health and future development", then what does that tell you?

If it wasn't true, McEnroe would simply said "no", when being interviewed, and "No" after the fact. And after all that, if it wasn't true, he certainly wouldn't of compounded it after by saying that "it was a miscommunication". What exactly are you missing here?

By saying what he said, McEnroe only poured gasoline on the fire, instead of simply not giving a comment (or being really apologetic) to begin with.

Unless you don't believe what was written was true, I don't understand what you're getting at. Patrick Mac, could of handled it better period, and certainly during the media discussion and statements (though he didn't say much). He came off like an uncaring Amateur who didn't understand the media process and dealing with a 16yr old girl.

Last edited by Excelscior : Sep 8th, 2012 at 05:23 PM.
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 05:24 PM   #25
country flag Herbert

I never said they didn't decide to not fund her US Open trip. I simply said that it was you folks put the "OMG, he's such a jerk, he called her fat" label on the whole story and it was you folks and the tennis greats who "meant to stand up for her" (but really did the opposite) who really humiliated her by indirectly calling her fat over and over again by putting those words or thoughts into his mouth without him or the rest of the USTA ever doing so themselves.

Also, the one who broke this whole story is to blame for blowing this whole thing up bigger than it really is. I still think there's a strong possibility it was someone from Townsend's surroundings who whispered this whole thing to the media first. Stronger possibility than it being someone from the USTA anyway.
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 05:33 PM   #26
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I never said they didn't decide to not fund her US Open trip. I simply said that it was you folks put the "OMG, he's such a jerk, he called her fat" label on the whole story and it was you folks and the tennis greats who "meant to stand up for her" (but really did the opposite) who really humiliated her by indirectly calling her fat over and over again by putting those words or thoughts into his mouth without him or the rest of the USTA ever doing so themselves.

Also, the one who broke this whole story is to blame for blowing this whole thing up bigger than it really is. I still think there's a strong possibility it was someone from Townsend's surroundings who whispered this whole thing to the media first. Stronger possibility than it being someone from the USTA anyway.
I still don't get you. What is it you don't understand?

1) Obviously they told Taylor "lose weight or we're pulling your funding, and not recommending you play in USTA events". Are you trying to say that didn't happen?

2) Patrick McEnroe, when being asked about, didn't refuse to talk, say "no comment", apologize, or be apologetic when he could of.

Why are you blaming the media, when McEnroe didn't tamp down the story? He can only be responsible for himself, and he's the culprit. Any time you deal with stuff like this, it's a possibility the truth may come out, and you must know how to deal with it. That's part of being a leader. So now we're going to blame the reporter, Taylor or her parents?

How do you know, someone in the USTA, who didn't like it told the media. It doesn't matter anyway. Two things transpired (the before/after), and neither one of them were handled well.

Are you his favorite relative or something?
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 05:36 PM   #27
country flag shoparound

shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future

Quote:

How is this not a big deal? the USTA and PMac not letting the #1 Junior in the world play tournaments in the summer, not giving her a Qualies/MD wildcard and then saying if she tries to play they will not fund the trip. All because she's too big of a body for them..
shoparound is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 05:48 PM   #28
country flag Herbert

What's wrong with giving a tennis player incentive to lose some weight and/or to get in better shape regarding general conditioning if she wants to keep being a big part of the USTA's program? It's still a far cry from calling someone a fat cow, humiliating her or even hurting her feelings.

Look, a big part of the story is just told from Townsend's and her families perspective. You saw the comments on the other thread. A lot of it is "aawww, poor teenage girl being called fat", "everybody in the USTA is a racist" and stuff like that. What if maybe already months ago they set Townsend targets on weight or fitness and she simply didn't get to them or didn't show enough intent to meet the goals? We simply don't know the whole background of the story, but I'm strongly inclined to believe she didn't seem professional and eager enough to her coaches which then prompted the now much published and discussed decision. I won't believe they just out of the blue told her she's unfit and from one minute to another they decided to not pay her trips to tournaments anymore.

Is that so wrong? Amateur athletes in the US who want to get good, paid scholarships for colleges also have to abide by rules and meet criteria. Not just regarding their fitness levels, but also grades, drugs (even recreational) and all kinda stuff. It's not that different. You want funding from us, you play by our rules. I really don't see how wanting to maximise a players potential and trying to instill some seemingly much needed attitude towards professionalism into a 16 year old girl is all that bad. I edited one of my earlier posts (and finished shortly after you had replied to the unedited version) on why I think it's not bad.

This bit (slightly modified again....): She might be winning now and people say she's "good enough, who cares if she's as fit and good as could be?", but should simply being good enough be the target or should being as good as possible going forward be the target for what seems to be one of the USA's biggest prospects? You all know that making it big on the pro tennis circuit is hard as can be and if you start out unprofessional at 16 and you also start thinking you're good enough at 16 (which isn't as little a kid as a lot of posters seem to think), or only show so-so interest in being as good and fit as possible....chances are you will just join the long list of so called prodigies that never really lived up to their promise at the pros.

Last edited by Herbert : Sep 8th, 2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 05:56 PM   #29
country flag Excelscior

@Herbert.

You're obviously beyond reason in this, while constantly shifting the goalpost.

I give up.
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #30
MakarovaFan

MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future

Quote:

Whether or not it was sugar coated, the point remains......i could say to my girlfriend "hey i think we should seperate because you are unfit but i believe at your best you would be truly amazing" it still sends the SAME MESSAGE regardless of how it was worded.
New Breed: Maria,Anastasia Myskina,Nicole,Ana,Tatiana Golovin,Jelena J,Iveta Benesova,Olga Poutchkova,Camille Pin,Maria Kirilenko,Alonya Bondarenko,Meilen Tu,Sania Mirza,Rezai,Ashley H,Tataina Poutchek,Sandra Kloesel,Klara Z,Mirjana Lucic,Dominka Cibulkova,Emauelle Gagliardi,Jelena Kostanic,Iroda,Martina Sucha,Raluca Olaru,Kveta,Marta D,Bethanie,Bychkova

Lilia Osterloh,Viktoriya Kutuzova,Yurika Sema,Anastasia Pivavrova(?),Stanislava Hrozenska,Marie-Eve,Zsofia,Angelika Roesch,Sunitha Rao,Anne Keothavang,Olivia Sanchez,Angela Haynes,Alex S,Jelena Dokic,Rosana De Los Rios,Kristina Brandi,Eva Fislova,Lindsay Lee

Elena Makarova,Anna K, Capriati,Lindsay,Henrieta Nagyova,Anca Barna,Petra Mandula,Jana Kandarr,
MakarovaFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote