Why has Tennis been a European race dominated Sport? - Page 9 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 17th, 2012, 02:38 PM   #121
country flag Start da Game

Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why has Tennis been a White dominated Sport?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendestiny View Post
It's a sport that needs more brain cells than just muscles. Kidding.

Well, it's kind of expensive and elitist.
middle easterners are filthy rich......what's stopping them to taking to this sport?

enlighten yourself...
Start da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 17th, 2012, 02:47 PM   #122
country flag Start da Game

Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute

i will say it again - non whites are feeling like uninvited guests if they happen to possess great tennis talent and end up in tennis profession......

ITF, ATP and WTA should be held responsible for this idiotic recklessness......they have failed to take this sport to all parts of the globe......

what will they do the day when power shifts to the east?

enlighten yourself...
Start da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 03:13 PM   #123
country flag Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future

The WTA top 100 have a sprinkling of "non-white" players even if you don't count Paszek and Watson. Their will be more in the future you would imagine.
BTW some people on here think the WTA has gone to Asia too much in terms of playing tournaments there at the expense of European touraments

All time favourite: Anna Chakvetadze

Will my weakness for an hour, make me suffer for a life time?
Invisible Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 03:13 PM   #124
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start da Game View Post
india (i mean the indian subcontinent) has a sport called "gilli danda"(started in 7th century AD) which is very similar to cricket...... that is believed to be the main reason behind fascination towards cricket in india (and pakistan & sri lanka)......
I don't want to get into a detailed discussion of the history of cricket, which as you suggested is not necessarily and sufficiently explained by English colonial expansion alone, but I'm glad to see that you agree with my basic point about path dependency.

Getting back to tennis, which I assume is still the point of this thread, I maintain that it's pointless to try to explain it's relative white dominance by citing current conditions. You have to look at its history, which is thankfully also a good deal more complex than the handful of lines I wrote about it.

Each new generation doesn't start with a clean slate and decide which sports, music, movies, lifestyle, etc. it likes. You can throw all the money, publicitly campaigns, etc. at them you can think of, but as long as their main role models are concentrated in other sports, non-whites are not going to suddenly switch en masse to tennis.
stromatolite is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 06:43 PM   #125
country flag rjd1111

rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt.Timmykinz View Post
I'm not going to even pretend to understand what you were trying to say.

But what I was talking about was not about attractiveness but about skin colour.

Heather Watson and Laura Robson both have achieved very similar things with Heather edging out Laura on ranking until very recently, but according to British media only Laura has achieved anything, Heather is constantly paid dust by the Brits. She doesn't get featured in vogue or get any endorsements, and its not like Laura is supermodel hot, she's as average as they come.

Why would any British parent who harbours any sporting ambition for their ethnic child pick tennis for them when there are so many other sports where ethnic minorities get better exposure and better opportunites (like athletics)?

Despite the Williams Sisters tennis is still seen as a white sport. For years the sisters where ruining the sport (those critics have only shut up because the girls have made them shut up with their results) but now I think by many white folk (probably not the sort you'd find on here) they are seen as the token black players as opposed to pioneers paving the way for other races entering the sport.

At my local tennis club in an affluent white neighbourhood, there is a black family who practice with their sons 4/5 days a week when the weather is good (I suppose they go elsewhere when winter comes) but one time they were there an older member of the club complained to me that one of the boys wasn't wearing proper tennis shoes...I certainly at the time was not wearing "proper tennis shoes" and I could see others falling into that boat too. But the next time I went to the club there was a sign about correct footwear. I assume someone told the family as they were all in the "correct" shoes next time I saw them but I didn't bother changing my shoes. Whenever they are there you always get the chorus of tutting from the other patrons of the club, no matter what they are doing.

I even heard one time a lady asking the mother whether tennis would be the right route for the boys or would they be better off playing football.

To be fair though they're also quite open about their disapproval of the eastern european players...apparently they're the reason why precious Laura Robson hasn't won wimbledon yet.

I know this isn't the case for a lot of serious tennis fans, who want to see the best players pushing the sport higher and higher no matter what their race is. Its the fans who have followed the sport for years and years, but aren't serious enough to follow it throughout the year but aren't casual enough that they don't know the major players.

" Despite the Williams Sisters tennis is still seen as a white sport. For years the sisters where ruining the sport (those critics have only shut up because the girls have made them shut up with their results) but now I think by many white folk (probably not the sort you'd find on here) they are seen as the token black players as opposed to pioneers paving the way for other races entering the sport."

I disagree with this point. I think Ashe, McNeil, Garrison, Washington etal were

considered more like " token " blacks. Mainly because they conformed to the

age old tennis norms. They tried to fit in. In dress, manner, and decorum.

Just hearing Arthur Ashe speak one couldn't tell if he was black or white so

the average black on the street had a hard time relating to him. I later

learned he was a great advocate of racial equality but that wasn't my first

perception.

The Sisters blew all that out of the water. With beads flying, loud colors,

and outragious demeanor they came in doing it on their terms. At first they

were laughed at and ridiculed. But as they started winning the tennis world was

forced to see them in their own light. There was no doubt about where they were

coming from and they demanded accceptance in no uncertain terms. The tennis

world rebelled and still are. But as long as they keep winning.............

They were pioneers paving the way for young blacks by relating to them in ways

they were used to. And not only blacks, look at the

colorful persona's out there today instead of the

old stodgy elitest styles of yeaterday.

Last edited by rjd1111 : Nov 17th, 2012 at 11:18 PM.
rjd1111 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 07:07 PM   #126
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

Ashe and Gibson had to put up with crap no modern player can conceive of. Not that today's nonwhite players haven't had to deal with racism and other issues.
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 08:22 PM   #127
country flag Raiden

Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pov View Post
Most popular sports in the world:

1 Soccer
2 Cricket
3 Field Hockey
4 Tennis

http://mostpopularsports.net/

(I wouldn't vouch for the methodology but )
Rubbish stats.

The position of cricket and field hockey is inflated by just one country: India (which all by itself constitutes more than 75% of all players & fanbases of both sports).

The real top 3 "most widespread" sports are without a shadow of a doubt
1 = soccer
2 & 3 = athletics and basketball
Raiden is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 01:22 AM   #128
country flag Tag

Tag is just really nice Tag is just really nice Tag is just really nice Tag is just really nice Tag is just really nice Tag is just really nice Tag is just really nice Tag is just really nice Tag is just really nice Tag is just really nice Tag is just really nice

is this thread trolling?

i really can't decide
Tag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 04:34 AM   #129
country flag thegreendestiny

thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start da Game View Post
middle easterners are filthy rich......what's stopping them to taking to this sport?
Again, this sport requires brain cells and money. Middle easterners may be filthy rich but they are _________________ (fill in the blank)
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 06:55 AM   #130
country flag gbenga

gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendestiny View Post
Again, this sport requires brain cells and money.
No. As in other endeavors success beget success. Until these other countries, either poor or rich have a breakout player to inspire them they won't take to the sport.
gbenga is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 08:49 AM   #131
country flag DeucesAreWild

DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
is this thread trolling?

i really can't decide
Same here.

If tennis originated as an aristocratic sport in England does it not stand to reason that the majority(whites and non-whites alike) did not play the sport? If so, go down through history and see that tennis obviously didn't hold the attention or interest of the majority for that reason. You then factor in the individuality of the sport in opposition to team sports. Take the US for instance, organized team sports are apart of the extracurricular fabric of the majority of children's lives in schooling from elementary through college. Doesn't it stand to reason the major sports in the US would be team sports? And why the majority of non-whites as the majority of whites are not as interested in tennis? I don't see tennis as being "dominated by whites" as I see simply a smaller population of whites(that made up the majority in the world of tennis) came up knowing and liking tennis. And thus passed it on to their children. The perception seems to belie the reality. As more and more begin to challenge their own perceptions and witness others doing so it makes an impact. And the tennis world will continue to expand. That's My $.02
DeucesAreWild is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 09:43 AM   #132
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute

There's no fame and glory to be found in tennis for non-whites. Serena and Venus STILL are threated with double-standards. Despite ALL the beatdowns Maria has been given by Serena, people still wanna act like she's equal to Serena.

NFL and NBA it's more easier to get the rich and get the fame and respect.
bandabou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 10:05 AM   #133
country flag doomsday

doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandabou View Post
There's no fame and glory to be found in tennis for non-whites. Serena and Venus STILL are threated with double-standards. Despite ALL the beatdowns Maria has been given by Serena, people still wanna act like she's equal to Serena.

NFL and NBA it's more easier to get the rich and get the fame and respect.
Really? Who are those people exactly? I can assure you that in here, French media is all over Serena and deservedly so. But what Maria has achieved shouldn't be neglected, after the French Open she may have stolen the spotlight to Serena a lil bit but since that, it' all about Serena ruling women's tennis.
It may be different in US I don't know but not here.
doomsday is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 10:30 AM   #134
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandabou View Post
Despite ALL the beatdowns Maria has been given by Serena, people still wanna act like she's equal to Serena.
I don't think that's entirely true. Virtually everyone considers Serena an all time great, and a tier one all time great at that, on par with Court, Evert, Navratilova, Graf and the rest of them. Sharapova gets a lot of praise as well (and what's wrong with that?), but I never heard a commentator say that she's as great, let alone greater than Serena. Maria may be as POPULAR as Serena, but she would also be this popular if there was no Serena or if Serena was white. You can't stop (or blame) people for loving who they love. Kournikova was also the most popular player when she was around, even though she didn't achieve nearly as much as Hingis, Davenport and some of her other very white contemporaries (or Sharapova for that matter).

Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 11:27 AM   #135
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
I don't think that's entirely true. Virtually everyone considers Serena an all time great, and a tier one all time great at that, on par with Court, Evert, Navratilova, Graf and the rest of them. Sharapova gets a lot of praise as well (and what's wrong with that?), but I never heard a commentator say that she's as great, let alone greater than Serena. Maria may be as POPULAR as Serena, but she would also be this popular if there was no Serena or if Serena was white. You can't stop (or blame) people for loving who they love. Kournikova was also the most popular player when she was around, even though she didn't achieve nearly as much as Hingis, Davenport and some of her other very white contemporaries (or Sharapova for that matter).
The regular crowd loving who they wanna love is fine..but the love was INSTALLED by the media. Ever since '04..they were just waiting for their token 'white blue eyed blond'-player to come and stop the Williams.

Of course that never really happened, but it isn't til now that media have accepted that Serena IS and ALWAYS was the better player. Maria was media-darling from day uno...Serena and Venus had ALWAYS to fight to get a lil bit of respect and even then it has come only reluctantly.

For instance..the yec final was deemed: power vs grace. All I've to say.
bandabou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote