Why has Tennis been a European race dominated Sport? - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 8th, 2012, 12:07 AM   #61
country flag TheLegendof

TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future
Re: Why has Tennis been a White dominated Sport?

Before even talking about race, methinks a lot of people should visit http://understandingrace.org/home.html. 'Cause the ignorance here makes me cringe.
TheLegendof is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 8th, 2012, 12:14 AM   #62
country flag KournikovaFan91
*Sesil*

KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute

Since most black people live on the world's poorest continent Africa its hardly a surprise people there don't exactly produce sports stars on a conveyor belt, you know lack of facilities and funding might just be a tiny problem.

Regarding Asia well they dominate other sports, Table Tennis, Badminton, etc. I mean China's medal tally shows Asia is successful in sport.
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 01:15 AM   #63
country flag #1SteffiGraf#1

#1SteffiGraf#1 has a brilliant future #1SteffiGraf#1 has a brilliant future #1SteffiGraf#1 has a brilliant future #1SteffiGraf#1 has a brilliant future #1SteffiGraf#1 has a brilliant future #1SteffiGraf#1 has a brilliant future #1SteffiGraf#1 has a brilliant future #1SteffiGraf#1 has a brilliant future #1SteffiGraf#1 has a brilliant future #1SteffiGraf#1 has a brilliant future #1SteffiGraf#1 has a brilliant future

People are SO sensitive nowadays it's just crazy. The OP simply asked why its dominated by more white players. Not enough minorities are top players? When tennis is such a physical sport, why aren't more minorities top players?

Why get so worked up over a true question? Man, it's like somebody can't say or ask anything anymore.

It's simple answer though. Minorities from around the globe find it MUCH easier to play basketball and football/soccer. That easy.
------------------------------------------------------------
Hingis Fan est. 1996
Pova Fan est. 2009
#1SteffiGraf#1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 01:18 AM   #64
country flag Moveyourfeet

Moveyourfeet has a brilliant future Moveyourfeet has a brilliant future Moveyourfeet has a brilliant future Moveyourfeet has a brilliant future Moveyourfeet has a brilliant future Moveyourfeet has a brilliant future Moveyourfeet has a brilliant future Moveyourfeet has a brilliant future Moveyourfeet has a brilliant future Moveyourfeet has a brilliant future Moveyourfeet has a brilliant future

Why are people so fucking stupid sometimes????
Moveyourfeet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 01:29 AM   #65
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1SteffiGraf#1 View Post
People are SO sensitive nowadays it's just crazy. The OP simply asked why its dominated by more white players. Not enough minorities are top players? When tennis is such a physical sport, why aren't more minorities top players?

Why get so worked up over a true question? Man, it's like somebody can't say or ask anything anymore.

It's simple answer though. Minorities from around the globe find it MUCH easier to play basketball and football/soccer. That easy.
That is the easy answer, but ardly the only one.

If you care to read the thread, you'll find more thoughtful, well argued answers.

As the visceral reaction to the thread, apparently there seems to be a beef between the thread author and some posters.
Their comments are not actually addressing the topic, they chastising the OP for past run-ins.

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 07. 2014
Next Update Date: Post 2015 AO
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 01:31 AM   #66
country flag producer88

producer88 is a splendid one to behold producer88 is a splendid one to behold producer88 is a splendid one to behold producer88 is a splendid one to behold producer88 is a splendid one to behold producer88 is a splendid one to behold producer88 is a splendid one to behold producer88 is a splendid one to behold producer88 is a splendid one to behold producer88 is a splendid one to behold producer88 is a splendid one to behold

It's simple

1)The cost of raising a tennis player

2)In the case of the USA, there's not enough tennis courts in areas populated by minority groups. It's very rare to find a free public tennis court. There's mainly basketball courts, or baseball fields. Also the popularity of American Football, and the opportunity of playing American Football can give you a free scholarship for college. I've never heard of a player getting a full-scholarship for playing Tennis, it may happen but I've never heard of it.

I'll be honest, I'm Dominican (Hispanic), and many of my Spanish friends call me weird and not a true "Dominican," because I'm more interested in Tennis than baseball (which is a stereotype that we all play well, and are interested in it). I root for Alex Rodriguez, but I prefer watching some great tennis matches (both men & women), and playing tennis is A LOT more fun to me, than baseball.

Each group has a certain interest in certain sports, but I consider it more of a social issue, than a racial issue to be honest.
producer88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 01:36 AM   #67
country flag Morrissey

Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold

There are a couple of reasons why tennis is white dominated. One reason is obviously money it costs more to train and develop a tennis player than to play other sports like Basketball or soccer.

Another problem is the WHITE SUPREMACIST MENTALITY in professional tennis which a lot of people ignore. Richard Williams gets criticized a lot on this website but he makes a cogent argument.

Richard told the NY TIMES a few years ago the USTA is very anti black. Patrick McEnroe racism continues to be exposed look at the Taylor Townsend controversy. Patrick is a bigot and he needs to be disciplined ASAP!

Look at how Taylor Townsend got treated by the USTA TODAY by Patrick McEnroe and the USTA!

The USTA wants to claim they are progressive but the truth is, they really have a very myopic and negative attitude about blacks.

As other posters pointed out Taylor is only sixteen she won a junior grand slam and she is a black girl.

Coco a white female is out of shape and so is Melanie Oudin I do not see the USTA attacking them!
Morrissey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 02:38 AM   #68
country flag Stamp Paid
Joshua

Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendof View Post
Before even talking about race, methinks a lot of people should visit http://understandingrace.org/home.html. 'Cause the ignorance here makes me cringe.
Preach that gospel!

██████████████████ʘ
Ashe. Gibson. Williams. Williams.
Stamp Paid is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 03:00 AM   #69
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

Whites dominate tennis for the same reason we used to dominate every sport, and, indeed, invented the majority of them.

We were the first to aggregate enough wealth to have the leisure time for sports (and yes, I am aware there was some unpleasantness associated with this, and that maybe some people were forcibly exploited and had their land stolen and the occasional massacre and all).

Other ethnic groups have accumulated the wealth and leisure time necessary to participate in sports, and it's only logical that whites have become less dominant over time. Things like interests, the rate at which wealth is accumlated, etc. play a role in how this process plays out. There are far more black, Eastern European and Asian players on the tour now than their were in years past, and that trend will probably continue.

On the other hand, geography probably means that it won't happen it skiing for the most part. But you never know.
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 05:11 AM   #70
country flag Thirty All

Thirty All is a name known to all Thirty All is a name known to all Thirty All is a name known to all Thirty All is a name known to all Thirty All is a name known to all Thirty All is a name known to all Thirty All is a name known to all Thirty All is a name known to all Thirty All is a name known to all Thirty All is a name known to all Thirty All is a name known to all

No offense to any black or Hispanic people, but they generally don't have the income level Whites do (according to statistics).
Tennis is an expensive: individual lessons, club membership, rackets, balls, coaches, trainers, academies, etc.
The reason I think Asians don't is because generally they are smaller in size and are less exposed to tennis, although Li Na's recent grand slam runs may help that.
Thirty All is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 05:19 AM   #71
country flag égalité

égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start da Game View Post
every other major global sport is not dominated by any particular race
Oh cool, your post got off to a really accurate start

Bitttchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh You Better Pay It Honey! The Devil Is A Liar!!!!! Bitches Get Interviews And Shit? Where They Do That At Honey? Girls Are Late Honey!!!! The Queen Needs To Get Into It Honey Cause The Girls Is Late Out Here! Yes Honey Im Throwing Epic Shade!

Management!
égalité is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 05:31 AM   #72
country flag producer88

producer88 is a splendid one to behold producer88 is a splendid one to behold producer88 is a splendid one to behold producer88 is a splendid one to behold producer88 is a splendid one to behold producer88 is a splendid one to behold producer88 is a splendid one to behold producer88 is a splendid one to behold producer88 is a splendid one to behold producer88 is a splendid one to behold producer88 is a splendid one to behold

Once again people are confusing social issues to racial.

If you grow up in an environment where basketball is more popular, you will play it more.

Simple as that, it's a social issue, not racial.
producer88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 05:59 AM   #73
country flag Start da Game

Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1SteffiGraf#1 View Post

thank you so much......now i know that at least one person understood the thread......the answer is still not that simple though......there are many affordable non whites and yet the percentages of non whites is nowhere near what it should be......

i am beginning to think it's actually got to do with the interest levels and other reasons more than affordability......affordability is only an issue in the african continent......

enlighten yourself...
Start da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 06:00 AM   #74
country flag Start da Game

Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute

@egalite

they are not major global sports......they are region specific......

enlighten yourself...
Start da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 06:06 AM   #75
Serenita

Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute

Townsend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech1 View Post
"Jesus take the wheel"
Serenita is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote