Why has Tennis been a European race dominated Sport? - Page 11 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 18th, 2012, 06:00 PM   #151
country flag Start da Game

Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why has Tennis been a White dominated Sport?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
Do your research. I'm not going to argue with you. If you don't want to know, believe that's on you.

There are many DNA, Geographical, Cultural, Archaeological, Anthropological and historical links that prove this, including from highly regarded, accredited scientist.

With all due respect, you appear to be the ignorant one (not surprised judging by your thread title), for being so immediately close minded to the notion.
this funny post got lost in the mix i see......i thought i would answer it even though the ignorance displayed doesn't deserve a response......

it's not even funny you try to suggest that the original indians dravidians as "ethiopeans" based on one claim from some random clown whom nobody cared, when there are several strong claims from other scientists that dravidians have caucasian roots......talk about selective memory......

what exactly is "white" or "black" and who are we to define that? further being from india a country which classified people based on skin colour some 1000s of years ago, i find it funny that people like you conclude based on the "white", "black" definitions given in what is it 18th century AD?

have you ever seen northern indians, central indians and east indians? greeks, spaniards and several others look way darker in comparison......

so who are we to decide what's white or what's black when humans were all the same when the species first evolved 700 thousand years ago?

and note that it is impossible to stereotype indian race or indian skin colour......

enlighten yourself...

Last edited by Start da Game : Nov 18th, 2012 at 06:05 PM.
Start da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 18th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #152

Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
Well, it's harder for an individual sport to gain popularity and to hold on to it once it's there than for a team sport because every country, every city and in some cases even every village has a home team. For an individual sport like tennis it's popularity depends to a large degree on whether there are any great home players around. In Belgium tennis was very popular when Clijsters and Henin were playing. But many of them weren't real tennis fans - they were Clijsters and Henin fans. As soon as they were gone, so was the audience (or most of them anyway). Now they go nuts over Colsaerts, the golfer. Since he was selected for the Ryder cup a few months ago I've seen more articles about golf than in the previous twenty years combined. And I think the situation is more or less the same in most countries. As individual sports go however I think that tennis has a substantial and loyal fanbase.
this is a good point and that's where ITF can chip in......there are hardly any campaigns and fundings to improve the sport......

enlighten yourself...
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 06:26 PM   #153
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start da Game View Post
every other major global sport is not dominated by any particular race, then why only tennis?
First of all, I disagree with your premise. But to the extent it's true, the anser is ..... Money.

Tennis requires large facilities that require constant maintenance. Very few sports are like that. Golf, football, baseball, basketball, the required facilities are inexpensive. The only sport that is much like that is gymnastics, for the same reason. Costly, specialized equipment. So it's only played a lot in richer countries, and the European and European-descended countries are the richest. No surprise that the non-White countries that do produce top tennis players are rich too. Japan, China, India.

There's also a regionality issue to it in the States. In Georgia, a lot of Blacks play tennis. In New York, not so much. One reason why? Money. In Georgia, there are a lot of public courts. There are a lot of public courts in New York/New Jersey too, but for a quarter of the year, they're covered with snow. So people who want to play have to pay for indoor court time. The average white household has ten times the wealth of the average Black household in the USA.

Tennis is great, but the cost of indoor court time is to the sky.
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 06:45 PM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcana View Post
First of all, I disagree with your premise. But to the extent it's true, the anser is ..... Money.

Tennis requires large facilities that require constant maintenance. Very few sports are like that. Golf, football, baseball, basketball, the required facilities are inexpensive. The only sport that is much like that is gymnastics, for the same reason. Costly, specialized equipment. So it's only played a lot in richer countries, and the European and European-descended countries are the richest. No surprise that the non-White countries that do produce top tennis players are rich too. Japan, China, India.

There's also a regionality issue to it in the States. In Georgia, a lot of Blacks play tennis. In New York, not so much. One reason why? Money. In Georgia, there are a lot of public courts. There are a lot of public courts in New York/New Jersey too, but for a quarter of the year, they're covered with snow. So people who want to play have to pay for indoor court time. The average white household has ten times the wealth of the average Black household in the USA.

Tennis is great, but the cost of indoor court time is to the sky.
tennis is played at a serious level only by 1000s around the world, in comparison to 10s of thousands in football or even more, and similar figures in many other sports......

when the participation count is not too high, it also should not be so difficult to carve out few decent tennis players from non white regions when there are lots of people who can afford in all parts of the globe......it's certainly not like you are spending as high as for formula 1 training......

so one has to wonder are they really being invited to the sport? that seems to be the only real reason to me.......

enlighten yourself...
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 07:35 PM   #155
country flag Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future

Quote:
hahaha.....cricket is australia's national sport and has a massive following in the country including its prime minister.....needless to talk about its hugeness in england and wales, southern africa, carribbean islands and its ever increasing popularity in many parts of the world......indian subcontinent constitutes a major chunk of followers of course......

nobody gives a real damn about basketball outside united states except maybe china and one or two small nations......athletics are just olympic sports......athletics is also a very broad collection in general with several sub-sports and we know what they worth individually in comparison to sports like cricket......

football is the only sport which excels cricket in popularity and of course by a big margin......
Small nations like Russia, Greece, Serbia, Croatia, Lithuania, Spain etc etc
I guess seeing your flag I shouldn't be surprised you seriously think cricket is more popular worldwide than basketball.
Outside of the subcontinet it has very limited appeal globally.

All time favourite: Anna Chakvetadze

Will my weakness for an hour, make me suffer for a life time?
Invisible Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 11:45 PM   #156
country flag rjd1111

rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hablo View Post
What an odd thing to say.

I know..........But Carillo is kinda .....Odd
rjd1111 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2012, 08:20 AM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisible Fan View Post
Small nations like Russia, Greece, Serbia, Croatia, Lithuania, Spain etc etc
I guess seeing your flag I shouldn't be surprised you seriously think cricket is more popular worldwide than basketball.
Outside of the subcontinet it has very limited appeal globally.
yeah right......cricket has very limited following in australia, england, south africa, west indies, new zealand......try telling that to IPL followers in australia, england, south africa, united states and canada......

IPL(club cricket) alone washes away basketball's popularity......we don't even need to go to international level......

enlighten yourself...
Old Nov 19th, 2012, 09:46 AM   #158
country flag Beat

Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
every other major global sport is not dominated by any particular race
not true.

Beat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2012, 10:51 AM   #159
country flag Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future

Quote:
yeah right......cricket has very limited following in australia, england, south africa, west indies, new zealand......try telling that to IPL followers in australia, england, south africa, united states and canada......

IPL(club cricket) alone washes away basketball's popularity......we don't even need to go to international level......
If you say it it must be true
Cricket isn't that popular in South Africa and New Zealand and your wise not to go to international level seeing as only about 10 teams play international cricket regularly.

All time favourite: Anna Chakvetadze

Will my weakness for an hour, make me suffer for a life time?
Invisible Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2012, 02:30 PM   #160

quality over quantity in cricket......cricket is just too big and too tough for too many small regions in this world......hence less participation from small nations......
almost all 10 teams play at a high quality level......that's the high point of cricket......besides there are several associate nations which play the sport at a different level......

basketball has a good club appeal but internationally it's not that big no matter how many teams take part in one or two random international tournaments outside that insignificant little world cup they have for themselves......

enlighten yourself...