Planning to visit US Open 2013 - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 18th, 2012, 04:45 AM   #61
country flag Charlatan
17 >>> Your Fav

Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Planning to visit US Open 2013

No, I wasn't in the middle section! I did zoom in the pic a bit if I could recall, but here is the pic without being zoomed during the rain break. Not much of a difference

But really, the view is not as bad as people make it out to be
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Atomic Bomb View Post
Don't laugh at your superiors. Bow down bitch.
Charlatan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 18th, 2012, 05:16 AM   #62
country flag doomsday

doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute

Seems to be a good plan I really hope for you the weather will be OK otherwise
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 06:45 AM   #63
country flag Maria rocks

Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveFifteen View Post
That's a great idea. You'll get sick of riding the 7 train from Manhattan to Queens every day, and when a night match ends at 1:30 AM, you're going to want to sleep ASAP, not spend an hour on an extremely crowded train. If you're really doing the Open all day, you won't have time or energy for Manhattan anyway.

Also, Ashe stadium is nice. Ignore the haters. I assumed that it was a monstrosity because that's what I've read all these years on TF.com, but it's actually a very nice stadium, and you can see the tennis just fine even from the final row of seats. There are always some empty seats during both day and night sessions so it's pretty easy to pay for the cheapest seats, then move down to the great seats, especially at a night match that's going late.

Court 17 is fantastic. If you have a chance to see a good match there, you'll love it. I got to see Kim's final mixed doubles match there. The love was palpable and the atmosphere was amazing.
Im planning to do a day session on ashe, Two night sessions on ashe and the other days get a ground pass. So when i book for ashe book the cheapest seats yeah???
Maria rocks is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 03:19 AM   #64
country flag shoparound

shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future

I don't understand the ushers at Ashe, one day they told me to sit in the lower boxes, and the next they were asking for tickets when I sat there.

What is their policy on that?
shoparound is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 03:28 AM   #65
country flag Trey

Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future

Is it easy too get Autograph from your favorite tennis players or do they have Autograph stands and sessions, and is it true too see Qualies Players Play are free ?
Trey is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 06:03 AM   #66
country flag kris719

kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoparound View Post
I don't understand the ushers at Ashe, one day they told me to sit in the lower boxes, and the next they were asking for tickets when I sat there.

What is their policy on that?
Usually if the session has run long and a lot of people have left they tell people to sit lower, was it a late match when they told you that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey View Post
Is it easy too get Autograph from your favorite tennis players or do they have Autograph stands and sessions, and is it true too see Qualies Players Play are free ?
Qualies are indeed free, qualies week and day 1 and 2 are the best days of the tournament imo. I don't recall any special autograph sessions, but it is not difficult to get autographs from players around the grounds. but of course the top players always have 200 ppl following them everywhere and i don't really know if they sign, but you won't have any problem approaching a less popular player.

Quebec City 2012
kris719 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 06:43 AM   #67
country flag shoparound

shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris719 View Post
Usually if the session has run long and a lot of people have left they tell people to sit lower, was it a late match when they told you that?
It was the Venus - Kerber match
shoparound is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 07:50 AM   #68
country flag kris719

kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoparound View Post
It was the Venus - Kerber match
Yeah I was there too, I think a lot of ppl left after Federer's match so they had some extra room in the lower seats.

Quebec City 2012
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 12:10 PM   #69
Tennis Fool

Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveFifteen View Post
The camera image is nothing like the view in person. Your eyes aren't like a camera, which makes the court appear farther away. The court does not appear that far away in person, only in photos. Have you actually been in the upper seats in Ashe?
Yes, and it looks like this.

Anyway, OP wants the cheapest seats, which will probably be the top nosebleed, so this is all academic.
PUTINTSEVA #1 PLAYER

MakarovaPavlyuchenkovaBarthelLisickiBeck DoloncTwinPliskovasPutintsevaPuchkovaSirotkinaPfizenmaier GavrilovaMituScholl
Tennis Fool is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 01:08 PM   #70
country flag Trey

Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris719 View Post

Qualies are indeed free, qualies week and day 1 and 2 are the best days of the tournament imo. I don't recall any special autograph sessions, but it is not difficult to get autographs from players around the grounds. but of course the top players always have 200 ppl following them everywhere and i don't really know if they sign, but you won't have any problem approaching a less popular player.

Thanks I plan on going next year as well & Indian wells hopefully it will be mush easy too get autograph at Indian Wells
Trey is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 04:47 PM   #71
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria rocks View Post
Thanks All been noted xx
OK. Kool.

Have fun. And if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

And on restaurants in Forest Hills, it's not just on Queens Blvd and Ascan, but also some of the side streets in between, 71st ave, 70th rd, 69th ave, etc,. Some of those restaurants are, Cabana, Nicks Pizza, Tuscan Hills, to name a few on those side streets.

The Taco King, for decent priced, but good Tex Mex is withing walking distance from your hotel as well.

As I said, you can look up many of these places on Yelp, Citysearch, Trip Advisor, Urban Spoon (NYC), and Google.

As you may know already, on Yelp and Urban Spoon (and maybe Google), you can look up these places by Restaurant, Type of Restaurant or neighborhood.

Urban Spoon, even has a top 100-200 list (citywide) and you can pick out the places in Queens near you. If you don't see anything near you (don't worry-there just so many good restaurants in NY), just search by neighborhood or Queens.

And that Parkside Restaurant, is a cool place for you to relax and enjoy the sights and sounds (as well as food) of a "Authentic" NYC Italian restaurant, that's also close to your hotel.

And if you're into ICES, there's a longtime favorite across the street from Parkside, called "The Lemon Ice King Of Corona".

Pio Pio, is a good for family style Peruvian Chicken or fish, with some good Sangria, in a large festive settings. It gets crowed though, so choose the right time or plan to wait. Not sure if it's a straight bus or train ride, or both. But it's not physically far from your hotel (though not walk-able), but they also have locations in Manhattan as well (so does Cabana-in Forest Hills, near the South Street Seaport).

Good luck and have fun, where ever you go, and most importantly, ENJOY THE TENNIS during your stay in NY.

Last edited by Excelscior : Sep 20th, 2012 at 11:42 AM.
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 05:12 PM   #72
country flag LoveFifteen
Gone with the Wind fabulous!

LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria rocks View Post
Im planning to do a day session on ashe, Two night sessions on ashe and the other days get a ground pass. So when i book for ashe book the cheapest seats yeah???
Are you going the first week or the second week? If you're going the first week, just get the cheapest seats on Ashe that you can find. You'll be able to move forward to an empty seat easily, especially if it's just you and one other person. I was able to move down to the second section for the second night match every time. Just observe carefully from above which seats are remaining empty for the entire first match, then make your move. The ushers do not ask for your tickets or care.

And when you go next year, I'm sure you'll agree with me and not Tennis Fool that you see everything fine from even the upper level.
LoveFifteen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 05:21 PM   #73
Olórin

Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute

The view from the top of Ashe doesn't look that bad at all for such a huge stadium. It's quite distant from the last rows of CC Wimbledon and Chatrier at RG as well. You can't really see players' expressions after a shot or the spins on the ball; but you're in these HUGE atmospheric stadiums seeing the legends of the game on the stages where the history of tennis has been written. Surely that's what you come for.

At these flagship stadiums even if you're courtside, it's still not the same as being on a smaller court. But the Grand Slams are about these larger than life stages. Why go to a Grand Slam at all if you don't want that
Olórin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 05:22 PM   #74
country flag kris719

^lol this guy is so hellbent on being right about the view.

just make your own opinion on the seats, doesn't really matter what we think.

Quebec City 2012
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 05:40 PM   #75
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olórin View Post
The view from the top of Ashe doesn't look that bad at all for such a huge stadium. It's quite distant from the last rows of CC Wimbledon and Chatrier at RG as well. You can't really see players' expressions after a shot or the spins on the ball; but you're in these HUGE atmospheric stadiums seeing the legends of the game on the stages where the history of tennis has been written. Surely that's what you come for.

At these flagship stadiums even if you're courtside, it's still not the same as being on a smaller court. But the Grand Slams are about these larger than life stages. Why go to a Grand Slam at all if you don't want that
This.

I tried not to get involved in this. But you brought up excellent points.

Go to Ashe Maria Rocks.
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote