Planning to visit US Open 2013 - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 17th, 2012, 04:44 PM   #46
country flag Maria rocks

Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of
Re: Planning to visit US Open 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by pov View Post
Holy crap. I don't think I've ever booked anything a year in advance.
Had to as all the Hotels are selling out already.
Maria rocks is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 17th, 2012, 04:46 PM   #47
country flag Maria rocks

Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
OK Maria, Congrats.

That Hotel is near the highway (Long Island Expressway) and 108 st.

If you like Italian, there's an excellent/famous Italian Restaurant nearby called Parkside. You may want to check it out. If you do plan to go, make reservations. It can get very crowded, and you'd have to wait a decent time, if you have a decent sized party.

And if you're into ethnic foods (or if you're a foodie in general), there a lot of authentic Chinese, Japanese, Malaysian, Indian-Pak-Bangladesh, Korean, Vietnamese, Columbian/South American, etc., restaurants in the surrounding neighborhoods of Flushing, Elmhurst, Jackson Heights and Corona.

You can also find some good American or fusion style restaurants in Forest Hills, near Queens Blvd and Ascan Ave.

Just go to Google, Yelp, City Search and Urban Spoon (NYC), and look them up.

But that Parkside Restaurant could be within walking distance of your hotel.
Thanks All been noted xx
Maria rocks is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 05:11 PM   #48
country flag LoveFifteen
Gone with the Wind fabulous!

LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria rocks View Post
This is what i thought. Thats why im staying there
That's a great idea. You'll get sick of riding the 7 train from Manhattan to Queens every day, and when a night match ends at 1:30 AM, you're going to want to sleep ASAP, not spend an hour on an extremely crowded train. If you're really doing the Open all day, you won't have time or energy for Manhattan anyway.

Also, Ashe stadium is nice. Ignore the haters. I assumed that it was a monstrosity because that's what I've read all these years on TF.com, but it's actually a very nice stadium, and you can see the tennis just fine even from the final row of seats. There are always some empty seats during both day and night sessions so it's pretty easy to pay for the cheapest seats, then move down to the great seats, especially at a night match that's going late.

Court 17 is fantastic. If you have a chance to see a good match there, you'll love it. I got to see Kim's final mixed doubles match there. The love was palpable and the atmosphere was amazing.
LoveFifteen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 05:40 PM   #49
Tennis Fool

Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveFifteen View Post
That's a great idea. You'll get sick of riding the 7 train from Manhattan to Queens every day, and when a night match ends at 1:30 AM, you're going to want to sleep ASAP, not spend an hour on an extremely crowded train. If you're really doing the Open all day, you won't have time or energy for Manhattan anyway.

Also, Ashe stadium is nice. Ignore the haters. I assumed that it was a monstrosity because that's what I've read all these years on TF.com, but it's actually a very nice stadium, and you can see the tennis just fine even from the final row of seats. There are always some empty seats during both day and night sessions so it's pretty easy to pay for the cheapest seats, then move down to the great seats, especially at a night match that's going late.

Court 17 is fantastic. If you have a chance to see a good match there, you'll love it. I got to see Kim's final mixed doubles match there. The love was palpable and the atmosphere was amazing.
Putintseva #1 player

MakarovaLisickiBarthelBeckTwinPliskovasSmitkovaPervakGavrilovaTownsendAllertovaAbandaPuchkova
Tennis Fool is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 06:00 PM   #50
country flag kris719

kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute

anyone who says you can see tennis from the top of ashe is delusional or has never seen tennis before, sure you can see a little yellow thing flying around down there but I don't feel like I'm at a tennis match at all.

Also, I usually stay on the UWS and am at both day and night sessions. If you like just being part of the city like I do, nothing beats staying in Manhattan.

Quebec City 2012
kris719 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 06:34 PM   #51
country flag LoveFifteen

LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute

I go to Legg Mason in DC every year, so I've seen plenty of tennis up close. You can see the match just fine from the highest seats in Ashe. I had read on TF.com for years that you could barely see the ball and the experience was a joke. That's completely the opposite of my experience. I could see the ball and players perfectly, and it was so much closer that what I had imagined based on reports. My tickets were never in the final row, but they were in the upper area of the stadium. I went back to the final row specifically to test the view during the Azarenka vs Zie match. You see everything fine.
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 06:47 PM   #52
Tennis Fool

Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, looks great!

Putintseva #1 player

MakarovaLisickiBarthelBeckTwinPliskovasSmitkovaPervakGavrilovaTownsendAllertovaAbandaPuchkova
Tennis Fool is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 07:58 PM   #53
country flag LoveFifteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis Fool View Post
Yeah, looks great!

The camera image is nothing like the view in person. Your eyes aren't like a camera, which makes the court appear farther away. The court does not appear that far away in person, only in photos. Have you actually been in the upper seats in Ashe?
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 08:07 PM   #54
country flag Charlatan
Diabolical

Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis Fool View Post
There is nothing wrong about it. It's true that u can still have a very good view even from the top seats in ashe. The camera images are deceiving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairi View Post
I hope its both.
Oh
Charlatan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 08:11 PM   #55
country flag duhcity
moderately sarcastic

duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute

If you're interested in the nuance of the game - the true pace, spins etc., the upper tier is not for you. For most fans of the sport however, seeing the ball go back and forth, who makes the winner who makes the error etc. is enough. I find it a good lunch spot - take a break, talk to your friends, with tennis in the background.

I always make lists of these things so I'm lazy to type a new one out but here's some key stuff

1. No backpacks.
2. Bring a water bottle, a large one preferably - you can refill them.
3. If it's what you want, you can get a stamp on your hand and go outside the tennis center to eat. There's cheap food in flushing a 2 minute ride away, and there are carts in the park selling park food. This year, I particularly liked the Tomato, Mozzarella, Pesto panini that was 9.50.
4. You can easily enter Ashe stadium after the first night match - ask someone who looks like they are leaving for their ticket and you can catch the second match. Obviously be discrete about it.
5. Avoid labor day weekend. Really.
6. Bring a phone charger if you plan on being there all day. This year, the Chase booths had outlets if you asked very nicely.
7. New York is hot and humid when you're in the sun. It can be just as hot as the Australian Open on some days if you're sitting right in the sun.
8. Reentry ends at 6pm.
9. Ashe ushers get off work at 9:45pm during night sessions. Varies depending on night and crowd control generally, but 9:45 is a good jump-off point.

And yes - the US Open is a particularly expensive sporting event. If you like to drink, you can easily spend 200 dollars a day on top of your tickets.

instargram

Last edited by duhcity : Sep 17th, 2012 at 08:20 PM.
duhcity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 10:33 PM   #56
country flag shoparound

shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future

Also remember the general tennis etiquettes:
Don't walk in a court's stands during a point.
Wait till changeover before getting up and leaving in front of everyone.
Be patient with the lines, but try to go in the stadiums as fast as you can (or you might get cut off when time is called)
shoparound is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 01:15 AM   #57
country flag tonybotz

tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickfalsetto View Post
There is nothing wrong about it. It's true that u can still have a very good view even from the top seats in ashe. The camera images are deceiving.
ridiculous. i've been going to the open since 1995, pre-ashe, and i've spent many nights up in the last row of ashe stadium. the view sucks, but you still feel the electricity of the crowd. and there's a great view of the city from there. but you do feel like you're being ripped off.

aside from just the terrible view, where the players look like ants, the trek up to the last row is exhausting.
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 02:42 AM   #58
country flag kris719

kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute

we clearly have a disagreement here, to the OP: just don't expect too much if you're sitting at the top of ashe. maybe you'll like it, maybe you won't. to me, it's not tennis but it can still be an enjoyable atmosphere at night. I just would much rather go to 4,6,7,13 etc. and be right next to the court.

Quebec City 2012
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 03:12 AM   #59
country flag Charlatan
Diabolical

Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybotz View Post
ridiculous. i've been going to the open since 1995, pre-ashe, and i've spent many nights up in the last row of ashe stadium. the view sucks, but you still feel the electricity of the crowd. and there's a great view of the city from there. but you do feel like you're being ripped off.

aside from just the terrible view, where the players look like ants, the trek up to the last row is exhausting.

This is how the view is from Pova-Bartoli match this year

Believe me, the row I was sitting in is the same as this photo Tennisfool posted
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairi View Post
I hope its both.
Oh
Charlatan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 04:29 AM   #60
country flag kris719

^looks like you're in the middle section to me, or maybe you zoomed in from the first coupe rows of the top.

Quebec City 2012