When did they change Super Saturday and why ? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 6th, 2012, 11:12 PM   #1
country flag LightWarrior

LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute
When did they change Super Saturday and why ?

The women's final used to be sandwiched between the 2 men's semis.
Advertisement

Old Sep 6th, 2012, 11:16 PM   #2
country flag Infiniti2001
Veelieve!!!

Infiniti2001 has disabled reputation
Re: When did they change Super Saturday and why ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightWarrior View Post
The women's final used to be sandwiched between the 2 men's semis.
what planet have you been on? The women's final have been in prime time from 2000
Infiniti2001 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 11:27 PM   #3
country flag LightWarrior

LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti2001 View Post
what planet have you been on?
Are you some redneck on meds or what ? Thanks for the info though.
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 11:51 PM   #4
babsi

babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future

How about the women had no idea what time their GRAND SLAM FINAL would start?

Or the ATP complained as the 2nd semi had to wait for the women to finish.

Or CBS wanted to show the final in primetime

babsi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 01:20 AM   #5
edificio

edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by babsi View Post
How about the women had no idea what time their GRAND SLAM FINAL would start?

Or the ATP complained as the 2nd semi had to wait for the women to finish.

Or CBS wanted to show the final in primetime

But I still don't understand why they have this Thursday such a nothing day tenniswise. Why not have the women play the semis on Thursday and the final on Saturday? Seems dumb.
edificio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 01:49 AM   #6
country flag Rolling-Thunder

Rolling-Thunder has a brilliant future Rolling-Thunder has a brilliant future Rolling-Thunder has a brilliant future Rolling-Thunder has a brilliant future Rolling-Thunder has a brilliant future Rolling-Thunder has a brilliant future Rolling-Thunder has a brilliant future Rolling-Thunder has a brilliant future Rolling-Thunder has a brilliant future Rolling-Thunder has a brilliant future Rolling-Thunder has a brilliant future

I am wondering, have the semis and finals always been back-to-back? I really do not like this. I think the tennis often suffers from a lack of recovery time for some or both players.
Rolling-Thunder is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 02:24 AM   #7
country flag In The Zone
it's serena, bitch.

In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute

Started in 2001. Men and the women wanted more comfort with knowing when their matches would be played. Plus, women's tour was peaking and CBS wanted to take advantage of a weak night (Saturday) and put a spectacle on. At the time, it was a great idea. It looked as though Venus and Serena would be playing all the time. Too bad we've had some shit finals recently.

With the news of the finals moving, getting rid of the Saturday night final seems likely.
In The Zone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 02:38 AM   #8
country flag Wiggly

Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Zone View Post
Started in 2001. Men and the women wanted more comfort with knowing when their matches would be played. Plus, women's tour was peaking and CBS wanted to take advantage of a weak night (Saturday) and put a spectacle on. At the time, it was a great idea. It looked as though Venus and Serena would be playing all the time. Too bad we've had some shit finals recently.

With the news of the finals moving, getting rid of the Saturday night final seems likely.
There's much more atmosphere during a night session.
If both Serena and Maria win tomorrow, the ratings will be massive even if the public knows it will be a massacre.
Wiggly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 02:41 AM   #9
country flag Infiniti2001
Veelieve!!!

Infiniti2001 has disabled reputation

Quote:

That's right is was 2001... 2000 (Venus vs Lindsay) ended up in prime time , because of rain delay...
Infiniti2001 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 02:47 AM   #10
country flag Rolling-Thunder

Rolling-Thunder has a brilliant future Rolling-Thunder has a brilliant future Rolling-Thunder has a brilliant future Rolling-Thunder has a brilliant future Rolling-Thunder has a brilliant future Rolling-Thunder has a brilliant future Rolling-Thunder has a brilliant future Rolling-Thunder has a brilliant future Rolling-Thunder has a brilliant future Rolling-Thunder has a brilliant future Rolling-Thunder has a brilliant future

Quote:

What is the news of the finals moving exactly? Are you talking about the men's final being pushed to Monday and the women on Sunday? Has that been decided?
Rolling-Thunder is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 02:51 AM   #11
country flag TheDream

TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder why the women's SF's aren't played at night like that one year.
TheDream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 02:57 AM   #12
country flag In The Zone
it's serena, bitch.

In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling-Thunder View Post
What is the news of the finals moving exactly? Are you talking about the men's final being pushed to Monday and the women on Sunday? Has that been decided?
Nothing is set in stone but that's the most likely. It's all about TV and I doubt they'll be able to take the men's semifinals off Saturday. So to give them a day off, they'll put the men on Monday - likely at night. CBS airs reruns, they might agree to that.

The women's final would then be Sunday at 4pm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDream View Post
I wonder why the women's SF's aren't played at night like that one year.
I know! That was an incredible night. Because of all the rain, they had to play all the men during the day and create a new session for the women on Friday night. Even Kim beating Lindsay easily was fun - it felt great to watch two important matches back to back. Obviously Jen and Justine dazzled us all and may be unfairly modifying our opinion of a doubleheader night semifinal session.
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 02:59 AM   #13
country flag Craig.
MA5HA

Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute

In the Zone, had it not been for the rain delays, the women's final would have been played Saturday night, right?
Craig. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 03:11 AM   #14
country flag Gdsimmons

Gdsimmons has a reputation beyond repute Gdsimmons has a reputation beyond repute Gdsimmons has a reputation beyond repute Gdsimmons has a reputation beyond repute Gdsimmons has a reputation beyond repute Gdsimmons has a reputation beyond repute Gdsimmons has a reputation beyond repute Gdsimmons has a reputation beyond repute Gdsimmons has a reputation beyond repute Gdsimmons has a reputation beyond repute Gdsimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I like the womens final at night. I think its so much fun and epitomizes NYC so much. I do think they need to make changes. They should cut the mens 1R down to 2 days and then have the men play SF on Friday night. They should either have the women SF on Thursday night or keep them at Friday afternoon. But I dont like the idea of a Sunday final. No slam has a final on Sunday and I dont think the open should have one either.
Gdsimmons is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 03:16 AM   #15
country flag In The Zone
it's serena, bitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster View Post
In the Zone, had it not been for the rain delays, the women's final would have been played Saturday night, right?
Huh? The women's final is still slated for Saturday night. They are talking about the future to have the final on Sundays permanently and to move the men to Monday to allow the men to have a day off in between matches. Aka, whiners Federer and Nadal.

The 08, 09, and 11 finals were on Sunday due to rain.