Could Kournikova or Golovin have won a Grand Slam? - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Could they?

Yes, for sure. 14 23.33%
No. Never. 39 65.00%
Unsure. 7 11.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 6th, 2012, 09:23 AM   #61
country flag Zin

Zin has much to be proud of Zin has much to be proud of Zin has much to be proud of Zin has much to be proud of Zin has much to be proud of Zin has much to be proud of Zin has much to be proud of Zin has much to be proud of Zin has much to be proud of Zin has much to be proud of Zin has much to be proud of
Re: Could Kournikova or Golovin have won a Grand Slam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Dauphin View Post
While both were good players; there were at least 10 others capable of beating them easily at all times. They were miles behind the best of both of their respective generations.
What??
Golovin was with Vaidisova the best from her generation. She had just turned 20 years old and was ranked #13 when she retired (and she hadn't even played a full season, missing Roland Garros). Azarenka and Radwanska weren't even in the top 30 when both Golovin and Vaidisova were top 15. Of course nobody can say how far Golovin could have gone and if she would have won a Grand Slam or not but you really can't say she was miles behind the best of her generation.
Zin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 6th, 2012, 10:42 AM   #62
country flag Ciarán

Ciarán has a reputation beyond repute Ciarán has a reputation beyond repute Ciarán has a reputation beyond repute Ciarán has a reputation beyond repute Ciarán has a reputation beyond repute Ciarán has a reputation beyond repute Ciarán has a reputation beyond repute Ciarán has a reputation beyond repute Ciarán has a reputation beyond repute Ciarán has a reputation beyond repute Ciarán has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuvack View Post
This poll is a fail. They are different style players from different eras and have no business being lumped in the same poll.

I would answer yes for Golovin and no for Kournikova.
Mother f****r; I KNOW you did not. When did I compare playing styles? I also acknowledged the generational differences in my opening post. I also mentioned (which you seemed to have missed) that a fellow poster stated them both as potential slam winners (obviously from being a fan of both), not that he predicted them being slam winners because they played similar games and most certainly not because they were of the same generation. Open your eyes before you run that sewer again chile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zin View Post
What??
Golovin was with Vaidisova the best from her generation. She had just turned 20 years old and was ranked #13 when she retired (and she hadn't even played a full season, missing Roland Garros). Azarenka and Radwanska weren't even in the top 30 when both Golovin and Vaidisova were top 15. Of course nobody can say how far Golovin could have gone and if she would have won a Grand Slam or not but you really can't say she was miles behind the best of her generation.
Are you serious? A generation is not someone with the same year of birth. A generation is usually the period of 5 years to a decade (though probably closer to 5 in tennis terms). This includes: Sharapova, Ivanovic, Kuznetsova, Safina, Jankovic and Chakvetadze to name but a few. All of whom achieved more. Golovin was up there for a while yes, but as I mentioned: Nicole was better at the time. So, surely she should be deemed more eligible to win a slam ahead of Tatiana (your comparison)? Which is ludicrous because Nicole lacked the consistency and hunger to go that far. Both were flash in the pans. Nicole's top 10 should still be more likely of a slam than Golovin's highest ranking of 12. So, she just turned 20, huh? Well, of her generation; Sharapova had won Wimbledon at 17 years old, YEC, been #1 in the world and was on the verge of the Australian Open. Ivanovic was about to win RG and had already contested 2 Grand Slam finals at 20 years old. Kuznetsova had won the USO at 19 years old. Chakvetadze was top 5 at 20 years old.

I wish posters would stop comparing generations to generations. They're completely different games and you cannot say that someone 'would win a slam during X era'. It's ridiculous. What's more ridiculous is the constant write off of this generation, when it is in fact one of the deepest. Just remember; in approximately ten years time you will be longing for this generation again. I for one think it's heating up to be quite special with Sharapova and Serena achieving so much. Not to mention stars of the future like Azarenka, Kvitova and Wozniacki. Y'all are speculating too much. Look at the cold hard facts and grow the fuck up. Tatiana never was, was never going to be and never will be anything significant. Will she even be remembered? For her red knickers at Wimbledon, yes. For her tennis? Never.

Pasezk, Chakvetadze, Vaidisova, Sharapova, Pavlyuchenkova & Vekic.
Ciarán is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 10:57 AM   #63
country flag Andy.
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zin View Post
What??
Sharapova???
Andy. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 11:34 AM   #64
country flag charmedRic
Rican In The Burgh

charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute

Anna K could have pulled a Chris O'Neil and just won one title, Wimbledon. BAM!
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 12:01 PM   #65
country flag Zin

Zin has much to be proud of Zin has much to be proud of Zin has much to be proud of Zin has much to be proud of Zin has much to be proud of Zin has much to be proud of Zin has much to be proud of Zin has much to be proud of Zin has much to be proud of Zin has much to be proud of Zin has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Dauphin View Post
Tatiana never was, was never going to be and never will be anything significant.
How can you be sure that she was never going to be anything significant?
I know that a generation does not mean "born the same year" but as you say I can't compare Golovin to Ivanovic or Sharapova who, although being only one year older than her, achieved much more before turning 20 but I can compare her to today's top players Azarenka or Radwanska (only one year younger) who achieved more or less the same as her at the same age. It's obviously impossible to say where she would have been now if she hadn't retired but there is also no reason to say "she would never have won a grand slam, no way".
Zin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 12:14 PM   #66
country flag chuvack

chuvack has a brilliant future chuvack has a brilliant future chuvack has a brilliant future chuvack has a brilliant future chuvack has a brilliant future chuvack has a brilliant future chuvack has a brilliant future chuvack has a brilliant future chuvack has a brilliant future chuvack has a brilliant future chuvack has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis Fool View Post
I think I've made my point, several times. I disagree with your point about the lack of depth on the tour in the late 1990s.
Correct, as the strength of the tour around that time was one of the reasons Kourni ran into trouble.
chuvack is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 03:43 PM   #67
country flag justineheninfan

justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis Fool View Post
Wrong, it was Hingis who kept her from titles that year and in 1997. She was like Roddick to Federer.
Sorry but had to laugh at this one. What big titles would she have won without Hingis pray tell. Wimbledon 97? Novotna would have spanked her silly, she owned Anna, heck Anna couldnt even beat a choking Novotna on CLAY at next years French when she had improved more, and was far and away a better grass player (should have beaten Hingis in the final too but choked). Australian Open 98? She might have reached the quarters then got spanked by Pierce who made her eat a bagel at the same event the next year. No others she met Hingis at. Even with as weak as the field was in 97-early 98 there were still so many players better than Anna. Davenport, Novotna, Coetzer, Martinez, Sanchez Vicario (though she was a decent matchup for Anna I will admit), Venus, young Serena, Pierce, Seles, Majoli on slower courts, Spirlea. She lost the vast majority of matches to almost all those women, in addition to posting weaker results on tour. She was not going to take over the tour or win anything big even without Hingis. Had Hingis not existed this is who would have won her slams, and maybe some she didnt win but factored in:

1997 Australian- Pierce or Fernandez
1997 French- Seles (I think she beats Majoli probably)
1997 Wimbledon- Novotna, 110% for sure, she crushes Sanchez or Kournikova in a one sided final
1997 U.S Open- depends on the draw, could be any of Novotna, Davenport, Spirlea, or Seles, highly doubt it is Venus. If Jana somehow avoids Davenport or doesnt choke like the end of their quarterfinal probably her.
1998 Australian Open- depends on the draw. If Davenport avoids Martinez than her, if Venus avoids Davenport than her, if neither of those things happen then definitely Pierce.
1998 French- depends on draw, but quite likely Seles. I think her loss to Sanchez in the final here was a bit flukish with how it played out, and I doubt Sanchez even reaches the final with any other draw this year. Could also be Venus.
1999 Australian- Mauresmo or Pierce, although if Davenport doesnt run into buzzsaw version of Mauresmo in semis could be her.

Either way Kournikova does not enter the possible winners of any of those.

Last edited by justineheninfan : Sep 6th, 2012 at 03:49 PM.
justineheninfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 04:09 PM   #68
babsi

babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future

There were two Anna's
Before and after Eastbourne 1998, that injury ended any hopes of what she could potentially do. She had a couple of good tournaments and wins after that but her level of play didn't reach what she had done before.

In the first half of 98 she defeated Seles, Martinez, Davenport, Sanchez Vicario, Hingis and Graf. Watch some of those wins and you will see that she could have done it.

babsi is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 05:31 PM   #69
country flag Joe.

Joe. has a reputation beyond repute Joe. has a reputation beyond repute Joe. has a reputation beyond repute Joe. has a reputation beyond repute Joe. has a reputation beyond repute Joe. has a reputation beyond repute Joe. has a reputation beyond repute Joe. has a reputation beyond repute Joe. has a reputation beyond repute Joe. has a reputation beyond repute Joe. has a reputation beyond repute

Kournikova- no.

Tati- yes.
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 05:36 PM   #70
country flag jameshazza

jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute

Tati I view as a possibility, Kournika clearly not.
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 05:53 PM   #71
country flag Sweety Darling

Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of

Kournikova yes, Golovin no chance - that girl had zero talent.
Sweety Darling is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 07:29 PM   #72
country flag donniedarkofan

donniedarkofan has a brilliant future donniedarkofan has a brilliant future donniedarkofan has a brilliant future donniedarkofan has a brilliant future donniedarkofan has a brilliant future donniedarkofan has a brilliant future donniedarkofan has a brilliant future donniedarkofan has a brilliant future donniedarkofan has a brilliant future donniedarkofan has a brilliant future donniedarkofan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToopsTame View Post
Kournikova lost to lots of people besides Hingis in those years. Venus, Davenport, Seles, Huber, Novotna, Martinez, Coetzer etc. It's not comparable to Roddick's best years at all. In Roddick's case he was a solid top 3 player and was losing mainly to Federer. Kournikova had many other players who could beat her. By 1999 Serena arrived, by 2001 Kim, Justine and Capriati 2.0, by 2004 the other Russians were peaking. Kournikova would've had lots of problems with all those players.
Guess what? Kournikova had wins over Davenport, Seles, Martinez, Coetzer, Hingis, Kim and Capriati 2.0. Her tennis skills were great and were enough to win a slam in 1997 or 1998, it's just her head that was getting her in trouble. Yeah, Kournikova would have lots of problems, but it's not like she didn't beat them.
donniedarkofan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 07:53 PM   #73
country flag donniedarkofan

donniedarkofan has a brilliant future donniedarkofan has a brilliant future donniedarkofan has a brilliant future donniedarkofan has a brilliant future donniedarkofan has a brilliant future donniedarkofan has a brilliant future donniedarkofan has a brilliant future donniedarkofan has a brilliant future donniedarkofan has a brilliant future donniedarkofan has a brilliant future donniedarkofan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria4Ever View Post
Tough to say, if Anna didn't have Capriati, Hingis and Davenport she may have won 4-5 slams, she was just a little behind those and that is no shame they are all greats of the game.
She didn't have any problems beating Capriati - she did it multiple times since Jennifer's return in 2000, she had a win over Hingis and wins over Davenport, Martinez, S Vicario, Graf, Seles and many others top 5 players. She was defintiely a better player than Golovin and most definitely she achieved more in Miami 1998 than Radwanska in Miami 2012.
donniedarkofan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote