Tipsarevic continues to be pressed about women's tennis - Page 14 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2012, 06:13 PM   #196
country flag August

August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future
Re: Tipsarevic continues to be pressed about women's tennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippityHop View Post
No it doesn't make sense. If you are too sorry to bring your best from the first set, you deserve to lose if you can't step it up for the next two sets. How well you play on any given day applies to 3 sets or 5 sets.
You think DelPo didn't deserve his USO '09 title? Or if you're a Fed fan who really thinks like that, I want to remind that with that logic, Fed didn't deserve his Wim '09 title. Would you really have liked to have those matches over in three sets? I'd rather have Bo5 for women than Bo3 for men.
August is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 5th, 2012, 06:26 PM   #197
country flag HippityHop

HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashaMasha View Post
no, just check the statistics of ATP tour and compare how random are results in 3 sets in comparison to 5 sets

Beat Djokovic, Federer or Nadal in 5 sets is almost impossible , whereas in 3 sets even Roddick managed this year
Then maybe the big three should step up their 3 set game. And the only place they play five is at the slams. So should their other titles be thrown out?

The world will ask you who you are, and if you don't know, they will tell you.
HippityHop is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 06:30 PM   #198
country flag HippityHop

HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
You think DelPo didn't deserve his USO '09 title? Or if you're a Fed fan who really thinks like that, I want to remind that with that logic, Fed didn't deserve his Wim '09 title. Would you really have liked to have those matches over in three sets? I'd rather have Bo5 for women than Bo3 for men.
If you play three sets and don't bring your A game yes you deserve to lose if you don't win the next two.

Playing best of three means that you don't have "cushion" sets to round ass in. If you lose the first set in a best of three, the pressure is much more intense than losing the first set in a best of five.

The world will ask you who you are, and if you don't know, they will tell you.
HippityHop is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 06:37 PM   #199
country flag ivanban

ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuTtErFrEnA View Post
why would i want to play a long 5 setter myself to tire myself out for my next opponent just to get at my current opponent??? i'd extend rallies as much as possible to wear his legs down definitely, but i wouldn't be trying to play a long 5 setter by tanking when i have another opponent who may be fresh that's idiocy...why would i NOT give my best to get off court quickly

i still don't get how just because you can tank more sets means you're putting in more effort..some men are VERY unfit, have poor tactics, ballbash, etc that we criticise the women of...just because they have 5 sets to display how poor they are doesn't mean it's more quality
I never said that deliberately going for 5 sets is a smart tactic Who knows what those mugs are thinking when they tank few sets
ivanban is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 07:41 PM   #200
country flag August

August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippityHop View Post
Playing best of three means that you don't have "cushion" sets to round ass in. If you lose the first set in a best of three, the pressure is much more intense than losing the first set in a best of five.
Well, think about the pressure when you're two sets down. I know, Bo3 would give more pressure for top players and bring more surprise wins, but is it the purpose of slams? I don't think so, I think slams are enough interesting without surprises, I want to see who is the best, which can't properly be decided with Bo3. And Bo5 makes surprise wins more deserved.

The only thing I don't like in Bo5 is that it's gotten too much of a endurance thing, slower surfaces mean longer points. But solution is simple, speed up the courts.
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 09:04 PM   #201
Tennis Fool

Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute

Djokovic blowing latest mug off the court. Gonna end faster than the first two women's quarters.
Putintseva #1 player

MakarovaLisickiBarthelBeckTwinPliskovasSmitkovaPervakGavrilovaTownsendAllertovaAbandaPuchkova
Tennis Fool is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 09:21 PM   #202
country flag ivanban

ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis Fool View Post
Djokovic blowing latest mug off the court. Gonna end faster than the first two women's quarters.
Mug was injured
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 09:29 PM   #203
country flag JeMa

JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of

The best of 5 sets is not played in the Master Series. If those results aren't definitive enough what's the point of the tour. It sucks so bad in a grand slam when someone is playing say an electrifying 5 setter and then their next match then go down in 3 easy sets because the last one they haven't recovered from, then what's the point.

Enough of the best of 5 in the grand slams and save it to the finals for both men and women.
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 09:30 PM   #204
Tennis Fool

Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanban View Post
Mug was injured
So he wasn't fit? Shouldn't been on the court. (What Janko would say if it were women.)
Putintseva #1 player

MakarovaLisickiBarthelBeckTwinPliskovasSmitkovaPervakGavrilovaTownsendAllertovaAbandaPuchkova
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 09:48 PM   #205
country flag ivanban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis Fool View Post
So he wasn't fit? Shouldn't been on the court. (What Janko would say if it were women.)
Probably something like "Yuck, women aren't even capable of finishing their best-of-3 matches"
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 10:08 PM   #206
country flag August

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeMa View Post
The best of 5 sets is not played in the Master Series. If those results aren't definitive enough what's the point of the tour. It sucks so bad in a grand slam when someone is playing say an electrifying 5 setter and then their next match then go down in 3 easy sets because the last one they haven't recovered from, then what's the point.
There are a couple of reasons why M1000s are played with Bo3. First of all, in slams you usually play every second day, in M100s you play every day, thus you have less recovery time and bo5 would be too much. And M1000s prestige is far below slams, fluke champios aren't such a bad thing, so you can have more TV channel friendly Bo3 format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeMa View Post
Enough of the best of 5 in the grand slams and save it to the finals for both men and women.
Why final should be any different, there have been many tournaments where eventual champion's toughest opposition has been in SF.
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 10:12 PM   #207
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute

some notes from Steve Tignor
Quote:
Occupy Tennis?

That’s the question posed by Doug Robson in a USA Today story about the growing income gap between the top men and the rest of the field. Robson crunches the numbers and finds that over the past five years, the Top 3 have taken home between 20 and 26 percent of available prize money, more than any trio since the ATP was re-launched in 1990. ATP chief Brad Drewett chalks it up to their domination on court, but some lower-ranked players think it’s a trend that’s getting worse and needs to be addressed.

Prize money has risen more quickly on the main tour than it has the Challenger tour. Roger Federer says that tournaments like the huge winner’s check because it’s “sexy”; last year Larry Ellison added $700,000 to the pot at his tournament in Indian Wells, but stipulated that it had to go to the players who made the quarterfinals or better.

One player who defends the system is American Ryan Harrison. “People don’t love tennis because of Challenger-level tennis,” he says. “People don’t follow the Challenger players. It’s a stepping stone that’s a process you know you have to go through.”
i will add " People don't love tennis because of Tipsarevic/Stakhovsky-level of tennis"

WTA Championships 2004
London Olympics silver medallist

33 WTA titles , including 13 Tier I titles
21 weeks #1 player
NashaMasha is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 10:15 PM   #208
tejmeglekvár
CFO

tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanban View Post
Mug was injured
Did Mug injure himself playing unneccesary best of 5 matches in the first week?
tejmeglekvár is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 10:22 PM   #209
country flag Cajka

Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashaMasha View Post
some notes from Steve Tignor

i will add " People don't love tennis because of Tipsarevic/Stakhovsky-level of tennis"
We can also add that people who watch only finals are not tennis fans. If you like tennis, you will watch lower-ranked players as well.
ПАРТИЗАН ШАМПИОН!!!
Cajka is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 04:33 AM   #210
Tennis Fool

Janko would say: How DOES the #1 seed go out of the tournament before the semis! (Berdych d. Federer).
Putintseva #1 player

Closed Thread