Tipsarevic continues to be pressed about women's tennis - Page 13 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2012, 02:09 PM   #181
country flag BuTtErFrEnA
Rena's Army

BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tipsarevic continues to be pressed about women's tennis

men and their ability to tank 2 sets and still win a match?? guadio/coria in a slam final?? in fact so many times there are matches where men tank a set to prepare for another set....how is that working harder and 5 sets doesn't mean the quality is good

I shall destroy the temple, and rebuild it in 3 days
BuTtErFrEnA is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 5th, 2012, 02:27 PM   #182
country flag ivanban

ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuTtErFrEnA View Post
men and their ability to tank 2 sets and still win a match?? guadio/coria in a slam final?? in fact so many times there are matches where men tank a set to prepare for another set....how is that working harder and 5 sets doesn't mean the quality is good
Uhmm, it's physically more demanding?!?!

For me the question shouldn't be about equal pay, of course they should get same prize money. The real question should be "why man have to play best of 5 sets?" Make it all best of 3 (maybe best of 5 in the final) and that's it, end of story
ivanban is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 02:31 PM   #183
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
4th set is almost always = tanking
NashaMasha is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 02:39 PM   #184
country flag BuTtErFrEnA
Rena's Army

BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanban View Post

For me the question shouldn't be about equal pay, of course they should get same prize money. The real question should be "why man have to play best of 5 sets?" Make it all best of 3 (maybe best of 5 in the final) and that's it, end of story
having the ability to tank 2 sets in a match doesn't mean i have to work harder if a woman tanks 2 sets....well the match is over...only 3 players i don't really see tanking sets on the men's side would be the big 3....other than that i don't see this "vastly superior fitness" if they're tanking (and it's almost always obvious to fans and commentators) to save for another set (or retiring in every single slam like the original tweeter has done)

Old Sep 5th, 2012, 02:49 PM   #185
country flag ivanban

ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
having the ability to tank 2 sets in a match doesn't mean i have to work harder if a woman tanks 2 sets....well the match is over...only 3 players i don't really see tanking sets on the men's side would be the big 3....other than that i don't see this "vastly superior fitness" if they're tanking (and it's almost always obvious to fans and commentators) to save for another set (or retiring in every single slam like the original tweeter has done)
Different rules demand different tactics. Less sets = less chance to tank If your opponent played very long 5 setter in previous round don't you think it's a valid tactic to weaken your opponent by not giving your best in first or first two sets? Are you seriously implying that women don't tank sets Sure they do, but it can be only one set, obviously
ivanban is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 03:02 PM   #186
country flag BuTtErFrEnA
Rena's Army

why would i want to play a long 5 setter myself to tire myself out for my next opponent just to get at my current opponent??? i'd extend rallies as much as possible to wear his legs down definitely, but i wouldn't be trying to play a long 5 setter by tanking when i have another opponent who may be fresh that's idiocy...why would i NOT give my best to get off court quickly

i still don't get how just because you can tank more sets means you're putting in more effort..some men are VERY unfit, have poor tactics, ballbash, etc that we criticise the women of...just because they have 5 sets to display how poor they are doesn't mean it's more quality

Old Sep 5th, 2012, 03:04 PM   #187
country flag ShiftyFella

ShiftyFella has disabled reputation

Quote:

I don't get the equal payout argument outside of slams or other combined tournaments. If WTA event more popular than equal level ATP event therefore women should be paid more, why those tankers should be paid equal.
ShiftyFella is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 03:05 PM   #188
country flag August

August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippityHop View Post
That's your opinion, not fact. Long doesn't mean epic (Isner/Mahut ). And why does it take 5 sets to show who's the best? That makes no sense.
Let's take an example from this years Wimby. I'm sure there would be many more people saying Rafa was unlucky if he had lost to Rosol in Bo3, he would've surely won in Bo5. But Bo5 proofs better Rosol was the better player that day. And what a great match that was, after losing 1st set in TB, Rosol managed to keep on playing well and win next two sets, for which many players wouldn't have had balls in a match against Nadal. And even if Nadal won 4th set, Rosol managed to play well in 5th, and win the match. And men's doubles final was another epic Bo5, more people would've wondered if Marray/Nielsen could've won a 3rd set had the match been over after winning two sets.

And why does it take 5 sets to show who's the best? Well, sports involve random factors, like how well you play in that day, players aren't robots. Let's take an example, if your probability to win a set is 2 out of 3, then your probability to win a Bo3 match is 74% whereas for a Bo5 match it's 79%. Makes senase, doesn't it?
August is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 03:10 PM   #189
country flag Sweety Darling

Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashaMasha View Post
but 99% are still wrong

Lets's take Wimbledon Quaterfinals
Federer- Youzhny 92 min 3 sets
Djokovic - Mayer- 105 min 3 sets
Tsonga Kohlschreiber 168 min (4 sets)

Women QF
Kerber-Lisicki -150 min
Paszek - Azarenka - 107 min
Radwanska-Kirilenko - 170 min
I would rather watch Federer def. Youzhny in 10 minutes rather than Kerber def. Lisiki in 1000 minutes. I'm a big fan of womens tennis but they DO NOT deserve equal pay.
Sweety Darling is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 03:14 PM   #190
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweety Darling View Post
I would rather watch Federer def. Youzhny in 10 minutes rather than Kerber def. Lisiki in 1000 minutes. I'm a big fan of womens tennis but they DO NOT deserve equal pay.
Federer Youzhny

Some people would say that they will prefer watching curling to watching tennis, but who cares about them? and about you either
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 03:25 PM   #191
country flag fawnrc

fawnrc is a splendid one to behold fawnrc is a splendid one to behold fawnrc is a splendid one to behold fawnrc is a splendid one to behold fawnrc is a splendid one to behold fawnrc is a splendid one to behold fawnrc is a splendid one to behold fawnrc is a splendid one to behold fawnrc is a splendid one to behold fawnrc is a splendid one to behold fawnrc is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweety Darling View Post
I would much rather watch two women that are no where near my favorite (Kerber, Lisiki) for 150 minutes than Youzhny get blown out in 100 min. So, who is right?
fawnrc is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 03:54 PM   #192
country flag Sweety Darling

Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawnrc View Post
I would much rather watch two women that are no where near my favorite (Kerber, Lisiki) for 150 minutes than Youzhny get blown out in 100 min. So, who is right?
Me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashaMasha View Post
Federer Youzhny

Some people would say that they will prefer watching curling to watching tennis, but who cares about them? and about you either
Thanks for the badrep, child.
Sweety Darling is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 04:46 PM   #193
country flag HippityHop

HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Different rules demand different tactics. Less sets = less chance to tank If your opponent played very long 5 setter in previous round don't you think it's a valid tactic to weaken your opponent by not giving your best in first or first two sets? Are you seriously implying that women don't tank sets Sure they do, but it can be only one set, obviously
I don't. If you're going to take that position then why not have the tanker go to the chair and say, I concede the first two sets. That would be more honest than tanking and less of an insult to the spectators.
"You are young, my son, and, as the years go by, time will change and even reverse many of your present opinions. Refrain therefore awhile from setting yourself up as a judge of the highest matters." -- Plato .

The famous are rarely significant and the significant are rarely famous.
HippityHop is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 04:52 PM   #194
country flag HippityHop

HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Let's take an example from this years Wimby. I'm sure there would be many more people saying Rafa was unlucky if he had lost to Rosol in Bo3, he would've surely won in Bo5. But Bo5 proofs better Rosol was the better player that day. And what a great match that was, after losing 1st set in TB, Rosol managed to keep on playing well and win next two sets, for which many players wouldn't have had balls in a match against Nadal. And even if Nadal won 4th set, Rosol managed to play well in 5th, and win the match. And men's doubles final was another epic Bo5, more people would've wondered if Marray/Nielsen could've won a 3rd set had the match been over after winning two sets.

And why does it take 5 sets to show who's the best? Well, sports involve random factors, like how well you play in that day, players aren't robots. Let's take an example, if your probability to win a set is 2 out of 3, then your probability to win a Bo3 match is 74% whereas for a Bo5 match it's 79%. Makes senase, doesn't it?
No it doesn't make sense. If you are too sorry to bring your best from the first set, you deserve to lose if you can't step it up for the next two sets. How well you play on any given day applies to 3 sets or 5 sets.
"You are young, my son, and, as the years go by, time will change and even reverse many of your present opinions. Refrain therefore awhile from setting yourself up as a judge of the highest matters." -- Plato .

The famous are rarely significant and the significant are rarely famous.
HippityHop is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 04:58 PM   #195
country flag NashaMasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippityHop View Post
No it doesn't make sense. If you are too sorry to bring your best from the first set, you deserve to lose if you can't step it up for the next two sets. How well you play on any given day applies to 3 sets or 5 sets.
no, just check the statistics of ATP tour and compare how random are results in 3 sets in comparison to 5 sets

Beat Djokovic, Federer or Nadal in 5 sets is almost impossible , whereas in 3 sets even Roddick managed this year
Closed Thread