Petra’s Asian Outdoor Hard Court Swings – Tokyo, Beijing, Dubai, Doha - Page 28 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 8th, 2012, 11:45 PM   #406
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Petra’s Asian Outdoor Hard Court Swings – Tokyo, Beijing, Dubai, Doha

Quote:
Originally Posted by steni View Post
So I will just wait for the worse

Btw what Petra's shot is your favorite?
There was a lengthy post/debate about that on GM last year, earlier this year (back hand or forehand), after the YEC. And after a long debate, it was a tie.

For me, it's her forehand, back hand, and the high lefty service out wide in the ad court (closer to the net), that the receiver doesn't even move for. It's almost like it turns on a axis/right angle, right off the court, so the receiver has no chance.

However, I also like the sharp two-handed back hands ROS she digs deep out the deuce court, then returns at the extreme angle (seemingly parallel to the net) for the ROS winner.

And I also like the off forehand ROS winner from the deuce court (that's close to her hip/body), that she just serves/spanks for a winner in the opponents deuce service box, like she's not even trying.

And I'll never forget that running, 10 ft behind the baseline, crouching, DTL--topspin forehand winner she hit at the YEC against Azarenka. Beautiful shot. Azarenka thought about volleying it. But Petra hit so hard, from so far, Aza only had a blink to think about it. But There were so many.

See that's how you know, Petra hasn't played nearly as well this year as last year. Cause I can clearly name you some beautiful/spectacular shot making that Petra made--especially on the run--when you didn't expect her to get to it, that she did last year, much more frequently than this year (if at all).

I'm smiling just thinking about it. I can't remember too many times Petra's shot making this year reminded me of last year or actually made me smile.

I know I mixed general (backhand, forehand, serve) with more specific shots/moments. So I'll stop there. Lol. But when Petra's on, her tennis is really a site to watch/behold. And she does it so effortlessly.

What about you? What shot's do you like?
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 9th, 2012, 01:23 AM   #407
country flag steni

steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
There was a lengthy post/debate about that on GM last year, earlier this year (back hand or forehand), after the YEC. And after a long debate, it was a tie.

For me, it's her forehand, back hand, and the high lefty service out wide in the ad court (closer to the net), that the receiver doesn't even move for. It's almost like it turns on a axis/right angle, right off the court, so the receiver has no chance.

However, I also like the sharp two-handed back hands ROS she digs deep out the deuce court, then returns at the extreme angle (seemingly parallel to the net) for the ROS winner.

And I also like the off forehand ROS winner from the deuce court (that's close to her hip/body), that she just serves/spanks for a winner in the opponents deuce service box, like she's not even trying.

And I'll never forget that running, 10 ft behind the baseline, crouching, DTL--topspin forehand winner she hit at the YEC against Azarenka. Beautiful shot. Azarenka thought about volleying it. But Petra hit so hard, from so far, Aza only had a blink to think about it. But There were so many.

See that's how you know, Petra hasn't played nearly as well this year as last year. Cause I can clearly name you some beautiful/spectacular shot making that Petra made--especially on the run--when you didn't expect her to get to it, that she did last year, much more frequently than this year (if at all).

I'm smiling just thinking about it. I can't remember too many times Petra's shot making this year reminded me of last year or actually made me smile.

I know I mixed general (backhand, forehand, serve) with more specific shots/moments. So I'll stop there. Lol. But when Petra's on, her tennis is really a site to watch/behold. And she does it so effortlessly.

What about you? What shot's do you like?
Ufff I don't know much, but I like her backhand cross courts I think, I noticed Petra likes to hit a combination of those during rallies and finish the point with a backhand/forehand winner. I like her forehand DTL... but her whole game overall pretty much
steni is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 02:05 AM   #408
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Ufff I don't know much, but I like her backhand cross courts I think, I noticed Petra likes to hit a combination of those during rallies and finish the point with a backhand/forehand winner. I like her forehand DTL... but her whole game overall pretty much
Sure you don't (and neither do I).

It's funny you said that. During the YEC--against Radwanksa, Petra hit a series (like 7-8 in a row) of those hard, angled back hands [deuce to deuce court], and kept pulling Aga off the court, till she finished it off with a spectacular winner and angle (along with that "Hi-yah" or "good bye" sound). That was just breathtaking. So you're right. I wonder if you remembered that to?

At other times, Petra likes to pin players on the baseline, then change direction or wings, and goes for the winner when she's on.

That's usually when her footwork, hands, strategy and game plan all come together. She's near unbeatable then (especially when the other aspect of her game--like serve, return and touch/volley are in vogue).
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 02:24 AM   #409
country flag steni

steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of

Quote:
Sure you don't (and neither do I).

It's funny you said that. During the YEC--against Radwanksa, Petra hit a series (like 7-8 in a row) of those hard, angled back hands [deuce to deuce court], and kept pulling Aga off the court, till she finished it off with a spectacular winner and angle (along with that "Hi-yah" or "good bye" sound). That was just breathtaking. So you're right. I wonder if you remembered that to?

At other times, Petra likes to pin players on the baseline, then change direction or wings, and goes for the winner when she's on.

That's usually when her footwork, hands, strategy and game plan, all come together. She's near unbeatable then (especially when the other aspect of her game, like serve, return and touch/volley are in vogue).
Come on, you know a lot of technical stuff (Do you play tennis?)
Yes, I so remember. I haven't seen Petra playing crazy good tennis like that this year...
The footwork is something you forget if you don't practice? I mean like dance steps...
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 02:53 AM   #410
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
Come on, you know a lot of technical stuff (Do you play tennis?)
Yes, I so remember. I haven't seen Petra playing crazy good tennis like that this year...
The footwork is something you forget if you don't practice? I mean like dance steps...
Yes, I used to play some.

But I don't know any more than you do. Trust me.

Yeah that YEC exchange with Radwanka.

Agreed. I can't recall Petra playing crazy like that this year either. Her hands, timing, looseness of shot, foot work, speed/defense and elasticity was just so much better--more often last year.

It was all those things, that gave her such spectacular shot making.

Yes, the way she changed direction and moved her feet last year, was like a dance indeed. It was so much more noticeable. Just beautiful.
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 03:52 AM   #411
country flag steni

Quote:

But I don't know any more than you do. Trust me.

Yeah that YEC exchange with Radwanka.

Agreed. I can't recall Petra playing crazy like that this year either. Her hands, timing, looseness of shot, foot work, speed/defense and elasticity was just so much better--more often last year.

It was all those things, that gave her such spectacular shot making.

Yes, the way she changed direction and moved her feet last year, was like a dance indeed. It was so much more noticeable. Just beautiful.
I think Kotyza tried to changes things on her game like (ROS) and it didn't work, so instead of improving she went backwards, so now her game is a mess, cause even her serve was great last year and this year is so-so, than all those injuries she had, a lot weird things going on. Definitely 2011 was a fluke year for Kotyza as a coach, Petra is too much for this guy!
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 03:54 AM   #412
country flag steni

Quote:
I took some classes last year but I gave up lol, too frustrating!
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 04:30 AM   #413
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
I took some classes last year but I gave up lol, too frustrating!
Yeah, I'm tall. So I could also start out with a good serve.

I hope your wrong about Kotyza (a fluke).

However, you could be right about Petra possibly outgrowing him (stage wise). Is it too big for him now/alone? I hope he proves otherwise.

I don't blame him for trying to add to Petra's game. That was good. Hopefully, it bears fruit next year, or even the YEC at the end of the year. Some would even argue, Petra was bound to drop off this year, considering her personality and where she was coming from. So you never know? Variety is good though.

However, I would agree that Petra's scheduling, expectations, off time, strategic and tactical approach, etc., could have been better in 2012. It wasn't top notch for a player of Petra's caliber and alleged aspirations. It was actually comical, Keystone Cops-like and Bungling Burglars at times, as we know.

It appears they expected what happened last year to naturally transition into this year with no resistance. Masha didn't cooperate. And once Petra blew all those BP opportunities and lost to Sharapova in that close Australian Open Semi, things changed.... Drastically (though it was too early to notice). Lol.

Say what you want about the failed pre game and in game strategy (the Wimbledon model on a slow hardcourt), with Kotyza's almost over confidence. Petra's a confidence player. And by her last service game, she just gave up. Couldn't take it anymore. Who knows how 2012 would have went for Petra if she would have pulled out that match? And that seemed to carry over for her against Sharapova and Serena at Wimby and the French Open as well. They were just stronger than her mentally. Petra's AWOL game didn't help either.

So no; neither Petra or Kotyza seemed to learn anything from those matches in 2012. Hopefully, they'll bear better fruit at a later point.

So we'll see what the near future brings. Won't we?

Last edited by Excelscior : Oct 9th, 2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 04:35 AM   #414
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

It's so easy...almost TOO easy...for us as fans to bash the coach sometimes;however,some of the mistakes made by Petra's team looked to be such violations of common sense that it was hard to fathom the course of action

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Fare thee well, Li
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 06:16 AM   #415
country flag netphobia

netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold

I'm still kind of pissed she went and played basically the entire US Open series or I suppose that her team didn't plan farther ahead.

If not for that scheduling blunder, she might not have been as MIA during the 2nd/3rd sets of Bartoli....
netphobia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 12:54 PM   #416
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by netphobia View Post
I'm still kind of pissed she went and played basically the entire US Open series or I suppose that her team didn't plan farther ahead.

If not for that scheduling blunder, she might not have been as MIA during the 2nd/3rd sets of Bartoli....
Btw,welcome to Petra's forum.I might not be the most warm,inviting person but there are lots of people here who can offer you good insight on her career....especially our friendly Mushroom-user and creative genius,Paul

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Fare thee well, Li
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 01:31 PM   #417
country flag steni

Can somebody translate what is Petra talking about in the video she posted on facebook, please!
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 01:52 PM   #418
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
Can somebody translate what is Petra talking about in the video she posted on facebook, please!
"Please understand/accept my poor play at the upcoming YEC in advance guys"? ...... "OK!? Don't get mad".
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 02:04 PM   #419
country flag Excelscior

Yes, WELCOME Netphobia.

And my belated hello's and apologies.
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 02:37 PM   #420
country flag ShiftyFella

ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
She talks about some random stuff, like resting, training fo YEC, exo with Pova and so on.

Last edited by ShiftyFella : Oct 9th, 2012 at 03:04 PM.
ShiftyFella is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote