PK and coaches - your take - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 29th, 2012, 11:09 AM   #1
country flag BikezAreForever!

BikezAreForever! is a splendid one to behold BikezAreForever! is a splendid one to behold BikezAreForever! is a splendid one to behold BikezAreForever! is a splendid one to behold BikezAreForever! is a splendid one to behold BikezAreForever! is a splendid one to behold BikezAreForever! is a splendid one to behold BikezAreForever! is a splendid one to behold BikezAreForever! is a splendid one to behold BikezAreForever! is a splendid one to behold BikezAreForever! is a splendid one to behold
PK and coaches - your take

We all now that since PK parted company with Ivanko, she is looking for new fitness coach. But what about Kotyza? Should she make radical change and rebuild her team from ground up?

Funnily enough there were four titles which PK won when Kotyza was not around (Brisbane, Paris, Linz and now Montreal). Thats almost half tourneys. They have special bond but is he now out of his depth to get champion like PK forward? Too many times I saw her first sets appear to be based on wrong strategy. What would you suggest:

- stay with Kotyza, he is a great coach. Also there is a good chemistry between those two.
- dont get rid of Kotyza, he is an average coach but it would mean too much disruptions to PK's team,
- start finding a new coach while negotiating with Kotyza some sort of involvement,
- tell Kotyza that his contract will expire (???) and start looking for a new coach,
- fire Kotyza now.

Discuss.

Last edited by BikezAreForever! : Aug 29th, 2012 at 11:41 AM.
BikezAreForever! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 29th, 2012, 11:30 AM   #2
country flag mac47

mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: PK and coaches - your take

Keep Kotyza, but don't bring him to the court.

It is not nothing that Petra is a fixture in the top 10 now, and that she has the best average results at the slams of anyone on the WTA tour.

I think replacing Ivanko was the right move.
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 06:26 PM   #3
country flag vendulkabendulka

vendulkabendulka is just really nice vendulkabendulka is just really nice vendulkabendulka is just really nice vendulkabendulka is just really nice vendulkabendulka is just really nice vendulkabendulka is just really nice vendulkabendulka is just really nice vendulkabendulka is just really nice vendulkabendulka is just really nice vendulkabendulka is just really nice vendulkabendulka is just really nice

I'm not sure if she replaced Ivanko or Cernosek did. I'd say the second option is correct. Mofo has his fingers everywhere.
vendulkabendulka is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 07:49 PM   #4
country flag paulmara

paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vendulkabendulka View Post
I'm not sure if she replaced Ivanko or Cernosek did.
Černošek. He was relocated

29.08.2012 07:11Kvitovou už Ivanko nepřipravuje
Petra Kvitová se po 3 a půl letech rozešla s kondičním trenérem Jozefem Ivankem, který dvaadvacetileté rodačce z Fulneku pomohl na druhé místo světového žebříčku nebo k triumfům ve Wimbledonu či na Turnaji mistryň. "Jozef Ivanko byl pověřený Miroslavem Černoškem, aby v Prostějově vedl nadějné české juniory,“ řekl Deníku Sport Karel Tejkal z agentury Česká sportovní.
paulmara is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 08:26 PM   #5
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

@Bikez

That's been long discussions here, if you been reading the threads. Lol.

But I take option 3 at the moment: - start finding a new coach while negotiating with Kotyza some sort of involvement

@Paulmara

What the heck does that mean? Lol
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 08:39 PM   #6
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

If funny you brought up this topic Bikez (Kotyza being out of his depth and/or wrong 1st set strategy), cause I thought the best I ever seen Petra play (along with Wimbledon 2011, but for different reasons) was YEC 2011.

I felt that strategy of constant variety, touch, net closing, spin/angles, loopers, juxtaposed with baseline power, was the recipe/ticket for Petra against anybody.

And Kotyza even said, that's what he wanted Petra to do in the future.

But there are many matches and many opponents, where Petra could win a lot of cheap points, a lot sooner if she was just go to the net, or use her variety more (and of course cutting down on errors).
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 09:03 PM   #7
country flag ShiftyFella

ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute

I think she must get a proper fitness coach that would actually travel with her and better prepare her for the games. Many problems for Petra was due to her poor conditioning this season.
ShiftyFella is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 09:09 PM   #8
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyFella View Post
I think she must get a proper fitness coach that would actually travel with her and better prepare her for the games. Many problems for Petra was due to her poor conditioning this season.
Petra's "lack of conditioning", was due to being sick, and missing her conditioning in the first place.

But it all stems back from her coaches, cause they were the ones that allowed her to get injured and sick in the first, place so she could miss her training and conditioning.

She had no problems last year (except during the spring hardcourt season in Doha, Dubai and the US, following long Brisbane, Oz and Paris indoor runs for the first time). But she closed out the year strong, when everyone else was tired.

We must keep this in perspective
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 09:27 PM   #9
country flag ShiftyFella

ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
Petra's "lack of conditioning", was due to being sick, and missing her conditioning in the first place.

But it all stems back from her coaches, cause they were the ones that allowed her to get injured and sick in the first, place so she could miss her training and conditioning.

She had no problems last year (except during the spring hardcourt season in Doha, Dubai and the US, following long Brisbane, Oz and Paris indoor runs for the first time).

We must keep this in perspective
She needs to sustain her level of athleticism constant or even raised it to another level, Ivanko didn't put much needed sense of urgency on that which led to injury and loss of form which improved a bit as season progressed.
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 09:47 PM   #10
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
She needs to sustain her level of athleticism constant or even raised it to another level, Ivanko didn't put much needed sense of urgency on that which led to injury and loss of form which improved a bit as season progressed.
I'm not telling you Ivanko is/was perfect. Cause he was not.

But my question is, how could Petra had done that, when she got injured in Dec 2011, then missed out on her training, sick in Doha and Sick at Indian Wells (plus she took of 3 weeks during the middle of the season, during Doha/Dubai/before the US spring run, doing nothing to heal her achilles).

Now, I still blame those things on her team, but it's expected your results and conditioning are going to be below par, if you're intermittently not playing or practicing.

Last year during the spring, she wasn't used to that type of winning (like most players that would of been in her position, just like after Wimbledon 2010.

I know what you're getting at. But it's not always that cut and dry. The bottom like is, either way they screwed up with certain decisions, which impacted Petra's season, and we don't need to see it again.
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 09:52 PM   #11
country flag steni

steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future

Probably her asthma has something to do with her fitness, I dont think she can train at the same level of other girls, it must be a pain all this breathing issues. Before she got sick she was fine to me...
steni is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 10:11 PM   #12
country flag Excelscior

@Steni

I'm not sure if it's her asthma we're talking about outside of North America this year or in previous years.

Petra couldn't train as long or much this year, cause she was sick and injured, and needed to heal/recover. At least that's what they told us.

Outside of the NA Asthma, I didn't see Petra's conditioning last year different than any other player. You could argue, it was better than most.

And I think more of her American summer last year, probably had more to do with her Slam hangover than anything else.
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 10:17 PM   #13
country flag ShiftyFella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
I'm not telling you Ivanko is/was perfect. Cause he was not.

But my question is, how could Petra had done that, when she got injured in Dec 2011, then missed out on her training, sick in Doha and Sick at Indian Wells (plus she took of 3 weeks during the middle of the season, during Doha/Dubai/before the US spring run, doing nothing to heal her achilles).

Now, I still blame those things on her team, but it's expected your results and conditioning are going to be below par, if you're intermittently not playing or practicing.

Last year during the spring, she wasn't used to that type of winning (like most players that would of been in her position, just like after Wimbledon 2010.

I know what you're getting at. But it's not always that cut and dry. The bottom like is, either way they screwed up with certain decisions, which impacted Petra's season, and we don't need to see it again.
I understand when you got injured rhythm is broken and it's hard to get back into shape quickly, but i still feel like Petra's team should've done much more, especially knowing that this season is packed and Petra just can ran out of juice. Hopefully everything would be OK.

Petra also should consider having training base outside the Czech Republic with climate similar to US where she can train to adapt for not so favorable conditions

upd
Quote:
Originally Posted by steni View Post
Probably her asthma has something to do with her fitness, I dont think she can train at the same level of other girls, it must be a pain all this breathing issues. Before she got sick she was fine to me...
I don't know what doctors says about her asthma but here in ukraine our doctors actually advise to take some aerobic exercises to improve breathing

Last edited by ShiftyFella : Aug 29th, 2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 10:41 PM   #14
country flag Lufa

Lufa is a name known to all Lufa is a name known to all Lufa is a name known to all Lufa is a name known to all Lufa is a name known to all Lufa is a name known to all Lufa is a name known to all Lufa is a name known to all Lufa is a name known to all Lufa is a name known to all Lufa is a name known to all

Give Ivanko some break, guy (and Kotyza) in 2 years transformed Petra from talented but pretty fat girl into Wimby and YEC champ and player of the year.
Still remember how she joked about cutting and eating pineapple every evening at Wimby11, she was so focused then...
Things went not so well this year, but I don't think couches are the only one to blame, Novak couldn't repeat his 2011 either and he is much more experienced than Petra.
Changing both coaches at once would be too much, so only one (less important?) went ...
Lufa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 10:43 PM   #15
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
I understand when you got injured rhythm is broken and it's hard to get back into shape quickly, but i still feel like Petra's team should've done much more, especially knowing that this season is packed and Petra just can ran out of juice. Hopefully everything would be OK.

Petra also should consider having training base outside the Czech Republic with climate similar to US where she can train to adapt for not so favorable conditions

upd

I don't know what doctors says about her asthma but here in ukraine our doctors actually advise to take some aerobic exercises to improve breathing
I hear ya fella!!

And yeah, I don't think she should stay in the Czech Republic either. But I think that will never happen in the near, foreseeable future.