Bombshell: US Open dubs Christina McFail! - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 30th, 2012, 01:57 PM   #46
country flag Julian.
Keep calm and be gay.

Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bombshell: US Open dubs Christina McFail!

They changed the title back to normal

• Maria Sharapova • Dominika Cibulkova • Ksenia Pervak • Eugenie Bouchard •
• Andy Roddick • Mikhail Youzhny • Grigor Dimitrov • Novak Djokovic •
tumblr.graphics thread
Julian. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 30th, 2012, 02:28 PM   #47
country flag GSMPrzysiezny

GSMPrzysiezny has much to be proud of GSMPrzysiezny has much to be proud of GSMPrzysiezny has much to be proud of GSMPrzysiezny has much to be proud of GSMPrzysiezny has much to be proud of GSMPrzysiezny has much to be proud of GSMPrzysiezny has much to be proud of GSMPrzysiezny has much to be proud of GSMPrzysiezny has much to be proud of GSMPrzysiezny has much to be proud of GSMPrzysiezny has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryAnnAvants#1 View Post
I might as well just go ahead and admit it: I wrote the headline. That's my article.

Because the match reports more or less look the same across the board, having attention grabbing headlines is essential to draw people in. Stosur spreads Vegemite is going to draw way more people in than "Stosur prevails in opener."

Having articles go live is obviously more of a process than my writing something and clicking "send." Readers obviously didn't like McFail. It wasn't the first headline the tournament has ever had to edit due to negative feedback and it likely won't be the last. I still stand by it.
McFarton Fuckerman,

there is a difference between the Kerber headline (quite clever) and the McFail one (plain disrespectful).
GSMPrzysiezny is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2012, 05:05 PM   #48
country flag danieln1

danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute

Another gem from CoryAnn:
http://www.usopen.org/mobile/hi/en_U...344661406.html
Plenty of Ajdes, winners.from.Ivanovic

The moment I saw the headline I knew it.would be him

Keep up the good work, well written articles and much more fun than the usual x trashes y to advance

Venus - Kvitova - Putintseva - Robson - Stosur - Cibulkova - Stephens
danieln1 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2012, 05:11 PM   #49
Valanga
Tick Tock

Valanga has a reputation beyond repute Valanga has a reputation beyond repute Valanga has a reputation beyond repute Valanga has a reputation beyond repute Valanga has a reputation beyond repute Valanga has a reputation beyond repute Valanga has a reputation beyond repute Valanga has a reputation beyond repute Valanga has a reputation beyond repute Valanga has a reputation beyond repute Valanga has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I might as well just go ahead and admit it: I wrote the headline. That's my article.

Because the match reports more or less look the same across the board, having attention grabbing headlines is essential to draw people in. Stosur spreads Vegemite is going to draw way more people in than "Stosur prevails in opener."

Having articles go live is obviously more of a process than my writing something and clicking "send." Readers obviously didn't like McFail. It wasn't the first headline the tournament has ever had to edit due to negative feedback and it likely won't be the last. I still stand by it.
didn't you just throw objectivity out the window by using the nickname McFail on the official website?

P.A.K.K
Suicide: 08 Montreal 08 Stuttgart 09 USO 11 Eastbourne Stanford 13 Sydney Highest ranked #03
Tennis Tipping: 09 Cincy D 10 Brisbane D Copenhagen SD 11 Palermo D Beijing S 12 Pattaya S Stuttgart Baku D 13 Palermo D 14 Monterrey D(SCHR: 17 DCHR: 10)
Valanga is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2012, 10:12 PM   #50
country flag Purple_Rain

Purple_Rain has much to be proud of Purple_Rain has much to be proud of Purple_Rain has much to be proud of Purple_Rain has much to be proud of Purple_Rain has much to be proud of Purple_Rain has much to be proud of Purple_Rain has much to be proud of Purple_Rain has much to be proud of Purple_Rain has much to be proud of Purple_Rain has much to be proud of Purple_Rain has much to be proud of

Quote:

If you are the actual writer, keep it up. In addition to generating hits, headline writing is about being clever, concise and accurate, and you accomplished all three. Better yet, you did it on the tournament's official site, which I would expect to try to spin the story in the American's favor. But I guess that's what people want.
~~~
Special Mention: Jarka Gajdosova, queen headcase of the WTA
Purple_Rain is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2012, 10:16 PM   #51
edificio

edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You guys realize that the writer might come up with the headline, but multiple editors had to approve it and hit "send" for it to publish. A writer can't just publish whatever they want unchecked, especially for something like the US Open tournament site.

Besides, sports headlines are supposed to be funny/kinda tacky. Seems like he's been doing this with other articles too:

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/mat...relatedcontent
http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/mat...relatedcontent
I don't agree. They are meant to get you to read the article, not to recoil at the cruelty of the headline writer, unless perhaps you are writing for a Murdoch rag.

In any case, I don't see how a mature adult can condone cruelly mocking the players in match report articles on the U.S. Open's own Web site. The headline was juvenile, much like Tennis Forum.
edificio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2012, 10:20 PM   #52
country flag Purple_Rain

Purple_Rain has much to be proud of Purple_Rain has much to be proud of Purple_Rain has much to be proud of Purple_Rain has much to be proud of Purple_Rain has much to be proud of Purple_Rain has much to be proud of Purple_Rain has much to be proud of Purple_Rain has much to be proud of Purple_Rain has much to be proud of Purple_Rain has much to be proud of Purple_Rain has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by edificio View Post
I don't agree. They are meant to get you to read the article, not to recoil at the cruelty of the headline writer, unless perhaps you are writing for a Murdoch rag.

In any case, I don't see how a mature adult can condone cruelly mocking the players in match report articles on the U.S. Open's own Web site. The headline was juvenile, much like Tennis Forum.
1. It's not mocking. It's concise, catchy writing. McHale + failed performance = McFail.
2. What does it matter that the U.S. Open's own website reported it? Do you want news to be objective or pro-American?
~~~
Special Mention: Jarka Gajdosova, queen headcase of the WTA
Purple_Rain is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2012, 10:32 PM   #53
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

Are British journalist harsh like that to British players like Murray?

my tennis blog
my personal blog my youtube acct
my flickr acct my imgur acct picasa album acct

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 03:39 PM   #54
country flag Whitehead's Boy

Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute

Got the attention of Wertheim, good job Bradshaw#1. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ten...des/index.html

No wonder why real journalists are pissed off when there is no longer any difference between a real article and a blog entry or tennisforum thread. What's next: "GOAT SEWTA Vulture Agatha back in Poland already!!1"?
Whitehead's Boy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote