Bombshell: US Open dubs Christina McFail! - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 30th, 2012, 06:14 AM   #31
country flag tennis-insomniac

tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bombshell: US Open dubs Christina McFail!

The other day I was talking about Xtina with my sister and made fun of her by calling Xtina in the TF nickname, McFail. She was hysterically laughing. It was kinda catchy too, tbh

But yeah while it is fun to use it when talking with friends or playing in the webboard, publishing it in the official page of USO with thousands of people reading it everyday is kind of mean and inappropriate.

Although I'm glad someone has screencapped it

-"Still On The Road"
tennis-insomniac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 30th, 2012, 07:59 AM   #32
BlueTrees

BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm not going to be a hypocrite because I alter the names of players I hate...but still, to do this publicly on the official US Open website with your name posted below it? That's just stupid.

That'd like having a headline of "Overrated Oudin Sucks and loses First Round". There's not much of a problem posting stuff like that on TF but to do it publicly on the official tournamet website is a bit too much. Glad it got edited out.
BlueTrees is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2012, 09:08 AM   #33
country flag tennisbuddy12
College Tennis/Team USA expert

tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute

McCarton's a poster on here who has an amazing opportunity at the USO. I won't say his username though, he would've admitted it by now.

tennisbuddy12 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2012, 09:19 AM   #34
country flag melodynelson

melodynelson has a brilliant future melodynelson has a brilliant future melodynelson has a brilliant future melodynelson has a brilliant future melodynelson has a brilliant future melodynelson has a brilliant future melodynelson has a brilliant future melodynelson has a brilliant future melodynelson has a brilliant future melodynelson has a brilliant future melodynelson has a brilliant future

"returns to scene of the climb" is pretty amazing, actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena Dementieva
At the press conference I was asked a really good question - they asked if I thought Martina Hingis helped me to win this tournament last year by beating Maria Sharapova in the semifinals. I said "Don't you think so?"
melodynelson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2012, 09:21 AM   #35
FORZA SARITA

FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbuddy12 View Post
McCarton's a poster on here who has an amazing opportunity at the USO. I won't say his username though, he would've admitted it by now.
NID
FORZA SARITA is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2012, 09:28 AM   #36
country flag Peggy Mitchell

Peggy Mitchell is a name known to all Peggy Mitchell is a name known to all Peggy Mitchell is a name known to all Peggy Mitchell is a name known to all Peggy Mitchell is a name known to all Peggy Mitchell is a name known to all Peggy Mitchell is a name known to all Peggy Mitchell is a name known to all Peggy Mitchell is a name known to all Peggy Mitchell is a name known to all Peggy Mitchell is a name known to all

Accurate title.
Peggy Mitchell is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2012, 12:40 PM   #37
country flag xzchief

xzchief is a name known to all xzchief is a name known to all xzchief is a name known to all xzchief is a name known to all xzchief is a name known to all xzchief is a name known to all xzchief is a name known to all xzchief is a name known to all xzchief is a name known to all xzchief is a name known to all xzchief is a name known to all

If she didn't fail, she wouldn't be called McFail.
xzchief is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2012, 12:58 PM   #38
country flag laurie

laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryAnnAvants#1 View Post
You guys realize that the writer might come up with the headline, but multiple editors had to approve it and hit "send" for it to publish. A writer can't just publish whatever they want unchecked, especially for something like the US Open tournament site.

Besides, sports headlines are supposed to be funny/kinda tacky. Seems like he's been doing this with other articles too:

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/mat...relatedcontent
http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/mat...relatedcontent
I saw the Stosur headline yesterday, at first I was slightly baffled.

It gives me an impression of trying too hard to be cool and hip. Don't expect to see that kind of headline on an official site like the US Open.

http://www.classictennismatches.net/
laurie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2012, 01:00 PM   #39
country flag Shivank17

Shivank17 has a reputation beyond repute Shivank17 has a reputation beyond repute Shivank17 has a reputation beyond repute Shivank17 has a reputation beyond repute Shivank17 has a reputation beyond repute Shivank17 has a reputation beyond repute Shivank17 has a reputation beyond repute Shivank17 has a reputation beyond repute Shivank17 has a reputation beyond repute Shivank17 has a reputation beyond repute Shivank17 has a reputation beyond repute

Its actually a disgrace that someone can do that on the official site of a slam.

Career Grand Slam + Silver Medalist.

When the going gets tough, the tough get going.
Twitter: @Shivank17
Shivank17 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2012, 01:08 PM   #40
country flag chingching

chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute

So American...

Kaia hit 24 Aces (the WTA record) vs Safarova Tokyo Round 1 2008
chingching is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2012, 01:35 PM   #41
CoryAnnAvants#1

CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie View Post
I saw the Stosur headline yesterday, at first I was slightly baffled.

It gives me an impression of trying too hard to be cool and hip. Don't expect to see that kind of headline on an official site like the US Open.
I might as well just go ahead and admit it: I wrote the headline. That's my article.

Because the match reports more or less look the same across the board, having attention grabbing headlines is essential to draw people in. Stosur spreads Vegemite is going to draw way more people in than "Stosur prevails in opener."

Having articles go live is obviously more of a process than my writing something and clicking "send." Readers obviously didn't like McFail. It wasn't the first headline the tournament has ever had to edit due to negative feedback and it likely won't be the last. I still stand by it.
CoryAnnAvants#1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2012, 01:36 PM   #42
country flag tennisfan146

tennisfan146 is a splendid one to behold tennisfan146 is a splendid one to behold tennisfan146 is a splendid one to behold tennisfan146 is a splendid one to behold tennisfan146 is a splendid one to behold tennisfan146 is a splendid one to behold tennisfan146 is a splendid one to behold tennisfan146 is a splendid one to behold tennisfan146 is a splendid one to behold tennisfan146 is a splendid one to behold tennisfan146 is a splendid one to behold
It's really rude to do something like that in my opinion.
tennisfan146 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2012, 01:42 PM   #43
country flag Raiden

Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbuddy12 View Post
McCarton's a poster on here who has an amazing opportunity at the USO.
Yes, he himself was of course the first poster to mention it here on TF, ahead of this thread, thank you very much

Quote:
I won't say his username though, he would've admitted it by now.
Tut tut - yer a bit late on your alibi delivery (he has already admitted that - 5 times no less
Raiden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2012, 01:43 PM   #44
country flag Raiden

Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You guys realize that the writer might come up with the headline, but multiple editors had to approve it and hit "send" for it to publish.
Well evidently you bosses are cut from the same cloth as you are, CoryAnnAvants number one, a.k.a. McCarton Ackerman

As to the subject matter, of course there is no real prior editorial vetting at USOpen dot org. You are obviously in what can be called a "self regulating" environment, meaning the USTA regards it's web activity as merely an info sign / help activity, and not real journalism (like the way a newspaper or a journal is obliged to regard by law). I don't think the USTA wants to spend a cent on a "USO.org editorial board" where things are submitted for approval prior to publication. A system whereby articles are retroactively reedited in case of complaints, will do the job cheaply
Raiden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2012, 01:48 PM   #45
BlueTrees

BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I might as well just go ahead and admit it: I wrote the headline. That's my article.

Because the match reports more or less look the same across the board, having attention grabbing headlines is essential to draw people in. Stosur spreads Vegemite is going to draw way more people in than "Stosur prevails in opener."

Having articles go live is obviously more of a process than my writing something and clicking "send." Readers obviously didn't like McFail. It wasn't the first headline the tournament has ever had to edit due to negative feedback and it likely won't be the last. I still stand by it.
Riiiiiiight. I'd really like to see how you'd feel about people making fun of your name and posting it as an article on an official Grand Slam website when they probably already feel crap enough after losing.

I suppose you also think it'd be appropriate to have some sort of headlines like "Sharapova Exterminates Ratwanska" or "Parmentier Ousts Evil Witchmayer"?
BlueTrees is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote