Last night ABC News reported there was double standard at play here.
While the NFL players accused of domestic violence are not allowed to play, Hope Solo continues to play on the US national team.
Hope Solo acted in self defense, says attorney
KIRKLAND, Wash. — Hope Solo's attorney argued Tuesday she was acting in self defense the night she was arrested for an alleged domestic violence incident earlier this year.
Final motions were heard in the case Tuesday as Solo appeared in court with her husband Jerramy Stevens.
The USA's starting goalkeeper was arrested and jailed in June, accused of assaulting her sister and 17-year-old nephew. She is charged with two counts of fourth-degree assault and has pleaded not guilty.
Judge Michael Lambo granted a motion for depositions of the two alleged victims, who refused to cooperate during interviews, according to Solo's attorney.
The trial, initially scheduled to begin Nov. 17, won't continue until next year. A hearing is scheduled for Jan. 6.
New court documents obtained by KING-5 reveal that prosecutors have discovered a video of Solo's jail booking and plan to call jail booking officers during the trial. It is unclear what the video shows, but the jail officers have been subpoenaed to testify as have the arresting officers from the night in question
Since her arrest, Solo has continued to play for the U.S. national team, leading the Americans to a championship in a World Cup qualifying tournament. The World Cup in Canada begins June 6.
U.S. Soccer's decision to allow Solo to play has been scrutinized in the wake of the NFL's decision to suspend Ray Rice and other players while they faced similar allegations.
Former teammate Jillian Loyden was critical of Solo in an op-ed piece she wrote last month. "I cannot stand by as young fans receive the message that this behavior -- even if the allegations proved to be inaccurate -- can go unnoticed," she wrote.
U.S. Soccer officials released a statement in September saying they stood by the decision to allow her to play as the legal process unfolds. "If new information becomes available we will carefully consider it," the statement said.
Scott Blackmun, CEO of the U.S. Olympic Committee, called the allegations "disturbing and inconsistent with our expectations of Olympians."
"We have had discussions with U.S. Soccer and fully expect them to take action if it is determined that the allegations are true," Blackmun said in a statement in September.
The 33-year-old goalkeeper hasn't spoken publicly about the incident but in June addressed her arrest in a post on Facebook.
"I would like to apologize to my fans, teammates, coaches, marketing partners and the entire US Soccer and Seattle Reign FC communities for my involvement in a highly unfortunate incident this past weekend. I understand that, as a public figure, I am held to a higher standard of conduct. I take seriously my responsibilities as a role model and sincerely apologize to everyone I have disappointed."