Loss of a pet - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 15th, 2014, 03:48 PM   #1
country flag Aravanecaravan
The Aravane Caravan

Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute
Loss of a pet

This is really difficult.

Two days ago I had to make the gut wrenching decision to have my 16 year old dog put to sleep. I can't quite wrap my mind around the fact that she's gone. I know that her suffering is over now. It doesn't make it easier. For months her hind legs gradually weakened to the point where she got so feeble on her feet that she was almost unable to stand or walk. We think she had Alzheimer's, or possibly even a stroke. Medication gave her some hope, for a few months, but probably gave my family and I expectations that weren't reasonable. Maybe we didn't want to see how bad she was. She would bump into furniture, or walls, or corners, or get caught there, unable to find her way out, laboring to breathe. She would fall even trying to sit or squat or walk to her water bowl. She led a demeaning existence in so many ways, yet my family loved her beyond words. It wasn't always this way. For years, she was a vibrant and healthy and beautiful girl, full of spit and vinegar, and sass, and as lovable and loyal and any dog one could hope to have.

The past few months have been emotional and tearful and very, very sad, watching her become more and more pitiful, and knowing that the end was coming. When I woke up at 4AM Sunday and heard her bumping into the dining room wall, breathing hard, and crying, I knew it couldn't go on. I...jeez..this is hard...I knew deep down that she probably wasn't in there anymore and in the remote chance she was, if she really was, she probably would have been asking me to let her die, even if I was selfish enough to want to keep her forever. When I said goodbye, I hugged her as tight as I could, and told her I loved her, and to be brave, and watched her, with tears streaming down my face as she was led away, looking back at me....

Anyone who has had to do this knows how empty it feels inside. I've lost my friend. Is there any consolation? Is there any solace or comfort to take away?

I know many here at TF may not like me, what I say or how I say it, but I could use a hug today.

Garbiñe Muguruza * Julia Goerges * Heidi El Tabakh * Sania Mirza * Louisa Chirico * Tamira Paszek

AravaneCaravan's tennis blog: http://thearavanecaravan.wordpress.com
Aravanecaravan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 15th, 2014, 03:52 PM   #2
country flag Super Dave

Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Loss of a pet

You did the right thing. I had to do the same thing with my (only) 10-year-old dog twenty years ago. He was full of tumors and had to be put down. I had to take him there and watch him be led away.

It was the last dog I owned

As I friend told me at the time, "You owed it to him". Again, you did the right thing.

Super Dave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2014, 04:16 PM   #3
country flag spiceboy

spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aravanecaravan View Post
I know many here at TF may not like me, what I say or how I say it, but I could use a hug today.
I always liked you. Many hugs coming from Spain

Hope Garbi can cheer you up a bit

spiceboy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2014, 04:26 PM   #4
country flag Mynarco
EIFORYA

Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute

I cannot imagine myself going down the same path as you just did - I have 3 dogs.

You did the right thing, don't blame yourself for that.

Suicide: 08 Montreal 08 Stuttgart 09 USO 11 Eastbourne Stanford 13 Sydney Highest ranked #03
Tennis Tipping: 09 Cincy D 10 Brisbane D Copenhagen SD 11 Palermo D Beijing S 12 Pattaya S Stuttgart Baku D 13 Palermo D 14 Monterrey D(SCHR: 17 DCHR: 10)
Mynarco is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2014, 05:00 PM   #5
The Aravane Caravan

Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for you your kind thoughts and words. I really appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Dave View Post
You did the right thing. I had to do the same thing with my (only) 10-year-old dog twenty years ago. He was full of tumors and had to be put down. I had to take him there and watch him be led away.

It was the last dog I owned
I completely understand. My neighbor's Scottie was hit by a car a few years ago now, and my neighbor tears up at even the mention of his dog's name. He won't even hear of the possibility of another dog. The loss hurts very much. This is the third dog I have had, but the first I have had to make the decision to have put to sleep, as the others were from illness. Those are easier to take, though still upsetting. This was not easy to deal with, but as you say, it's better for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceboy View Post
I always liked you. Many hugs coming from Spain

Hope Garbi can cheer you up a bit

Thank you Spiceboy! Garbi and her little friend certainly did cheer me up!

Garbiñe Muguruza * Julia Goerges * Heidi El Tabakh * Sania Mirza * Louisa Chirico * Tamira Paszek

Old Jul 15th, 2014, 05:03 PM   #6
country flag Super Dave

Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I completely understand. My neighbor's Scottie was hit by a car a few years ago now, and my neighbor tears up at even the mention of his dog's name. He won't even hear of the possibility of another dog. The loss hurts very much. This is the third dog I have had, but the first I have had to make the decision to have put to sleep, as the others were from illness. Those are easier to take, though still upsetting. This was not easy to deal with, but as you say, it's better for them.
Was the same for me.

Super Dave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2014, 05:44 PM   #7
country flag Nazanin

Nazanin is a splendid one to behold Nazanin is a splendid one to behold Nazanin is a splendid one to behold Nazanin is a splendid one to behold Nazanin is a splendid one to behold Nazanin is a splendid one to behold Nazanin is a splendid one to behold Nazanin is a splendid one to behold Nazanin is a splendid one to behold Nazanin is a splendid one to behold Nazanin is a splendid one to behold

Oh God this is heartbreaking.
I had this happen to me a few times so I know how it feels. You totally did the right thing, I had a bunny since I was 10 until a few months ago. She was always there for me when everyone else was gone and even though I knew it was coming as she was very old I couldn't let her go and she actually died while screaming in my hand (they never make any noise) which was terrifying and makes me feel guilty that I put her in pain because of selfishness. I couldn't handle her not being around the house because it would remind me of her and I'd start crying so I went and got another bunny a few weeks ago. whatever you do I hope you find peace with your pain.
Nazanin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2014, 06:17 PM   #8
country flag Gerri

Gerri has a reputation beyond repute Gerri has a reputation beyond repute Gerri has a reputation beyond repute Gerri has a reputation beyond repute Gerri has a reputation beyond repute Gerri has a reputation beyond repute Gerri has a reputation beyond repute Gerri has a reputation beyond repute Gerri has a reputation beyond repute Gerri has a reputation beyond repute Gerri has a reputation beyond repute

Awwww I'm so sorry, I know how you feel. I had to have one of my hounds put down a couple of years ago and it was awful. It's such a hard thing to decide. But it's the right thing when you know they can't get better. Remember you did the kindest thing. So many animals are badly treated but you gave her a great life.

It's so tough to lose a dog, it's a real bereavement, but it gets easier in time. Bloody dogs, they're such heart breakers
Old Jul 15th, 2014, 06:18 PM   #9
The Aravane Caravan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazanin View Post
Oh God this is heartbreaking.
I had this happen to me a few times so I know how it feels. You totally did the right thing, I had a bunny since I was 10 until a few months ago. She was always there for me when everyone else was gone and even though I knew it was coming as she was very old I couldn't let her go and she actually died while screaming in my hand (they never make any noise) which was terrifying and makes me feel guilty that I put her in pain because of selfishness. I couldn't handle her not being around the house because it would remind me of her and I'd start crying so I went and got another bunny a few weeks ago. whatever you do I hope you find peace with your pain.

Thank you so much for sharing that, Nazanin. I'm very sorry about your bunny, too. I hope that your new little friend will bring you many smiles and good memories!

I love your name, btw! One of my best friends in college was named Nazanin.

Old Jul 15th, 2014, 06:21 PM   #10
country flag Miss Atomic Bomb

Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute

Run free you gorgeous girl.

Miss Atomic Bomb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2014, 06:23 PM   #11
country flag Frode
HEADBANGER

Frode has a reputation beyond repute Frode has a reputation beyond repute Frode has a reputation beyond repute Frode has a reputation beyond repute Frode has a reputation beyond repute Frode has a reputation beyond repute Frode has a reputation beyond repute Frode has a reputation beyond repute Frode has a reputation beyond repute Frode has a reputation beyond repute Frode has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jul 15th, 2014, 06:30 PM   #12
country flag Edward.

Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This is really difficult.

Two days ago I had to make the gut wrenching decision to have my 16 year old dog put to sleep. I can't quite wrap my mind around the fact that she's gone. I know that her suffering is over now. It doesn't make it easier. For months her hind legs gradually weakened to the point where she got so feeble on her feet that she was almost unable to stand or walk. We think she had Alzheimer's, or possibly even a stroke. Medication gave her some hope, for a few months, but probably gave my family and I expectations that weren't reasonable. Maybe we didn't want to see how bad she was. She would bump into furniture, or walls, or corners, or get caught there, unable to find her way out, laboring to breathe. She would fall even trying to sit or squat or walk to her water bowl. She led a demeaning existence in so many ways, yet my family loved her beyond words. It wasn't always this way. For years, she was a vibrant and healthy and beautiful girl, full of spit and vinegar, and sass, and as lovable and loyal and any dog one could hope to have.

The past few months have been emotional and tearful and very, very sad, watching her become more and more pitiful, and knowing that the end was coming. When I woke up at 4AM Sunday and heard her bumping into the dining room wall, breathing hard, and crying, I knew it couldn't go on. I...jeez..this is hard...I knew deep down that she probably wasn't in there anymore and in the remote chance she was, if she really was, she probably would have been asking me to let her die, even if I was selfish enough to want to keep her forever. When I said goodbye, I hugged her as tight as I could, and told her I loved her, and to be brave, and watched her, with tears streaming down my face as she was led away, looking back at me....

Anyone who has had to do this knows how empty it feels inside. I've lost my friend. Is there any consolation? Is there any solace or comfort to take away?

I had to do the same thing a few hours ago. Our beloved Westie was put to rest at the age of 14.

I feel the pain and sorrow you are going through.

Official Wiseguy of the Maria Mafia.
1305 ..Eternal follower of the Golden Girl
Edward. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2014, 06:38 PM   #13
The Aravane Caravan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward. View Post
I had to do the same thing a few hours ago. Our beloved Westie was put to rest at the age of 14.

I feel the pain and sorrow you are going through.

I'm very, very sorry to hear that, Edward. My condolences to you as well. Needless to say, I understand how tough the loss is.

Old Jul 15th, 2014, 06:42 PM   #14
country flag danieln1
VIP and The Cheesecake Factory

danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute

It´s horrible... this year my 14 year old dog passed away, and I was the one who first saw him with no pulse

Hopefully you can feel better for the next days, but it´s really difficult.

Ivanovic - Görges - Agnieszka - Li - Woz

Venus - Kvitova - Putintseva - Robson - Stosur - Cibulkova - Stephens

that is so disrespectful.... so disrespectful!
danieln1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2014, 07:03 PM   #15
country flag Nazanin

Nazanin is a splendid one to behold Nazanin is a splendid one to behold Nazanin is a splendid one to behold Nazanin is a splendid one to behold Nazanin is a splendid one to behold Nazanin is a splendid one to behold Nazanin is a splendid one to behold Nazanin is a splendid one to behold Nazanin is a splendid one to behold Nazanin is a splendid one to behold Nazanin is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Thank you so much for sharing that, Nazanin. I'm very sorry about your bunny, too. I hope that your new little friend will bring you many smiles and good memories!

I love your name, btw! One of my best friends in college was named Nazanin.
Thank you! I'm sorry about your dog as well.
I'm also a huge Aravan fan so I already like you a lot.
Nazanin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote