Korean song gets censored on US Radio - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 5th, 2014, 09:38 AM   #1
country flag Skinz
It's Only Gravity...

Skinz has a reputation beyond repute Skinz has a reputation beyond repute Skinz has a reputation beyond repute Skinz has a reputation beyond repute Skinz has a reputation beyond repute Skinz has a reputation beyond repute Skinz has a reputation beyond repute Skinz has a reputation beyond repute Skinz has a reputation beyond repute Skinz has a reputation beyond repute Skinz has a reputation beyond repute
Korean song gets censored on US Radio

A Blackjack, who goes by the YouTube username Azarathsflamee, was caught off-guard recently when she heard her jam 2NE1's "I Am the Best" blasting on a US radio station. She wasn't caught off-guard because of the novelty of hearing 2NE1 on an American radio station but because the song was censored.

As hardcore and intense as 2NE1's electro tune "I Am the Best" is, K-Pop fans know that it's not a song that has a reason to be censored. In the clip above, Azarathsflamee explains, however, that the radio station bleeps out the song's "nae-ga"s and "nee-ga"s in some places, while in other places it weirdly leaves the "nae-ga"s and "nee-ga"s alone.

I guess censoring the "nae-ga"s and "nee-ga"s--which mean "I" and "you" respectively in Korean--kind of makes sense, since these words can sound like a very provocative term to unfamiliar ears . But hey, at least keep the editing consistent!

2NE1's "I Am the Best" was heard playing on a Boston radio station called AMP Radio 103.3. Although the video states that the song was heard on the 28th, AMP Radio only lists 2NE1's song on their October 27th playlist as shown below.

User Azarathsflamee ends the video by asking her viewers in subtitles, "Should or shouldn't they have edited it?" As great as it is to hear K-Pop on foreign radio, some radio stations might feel that some K-Pop songs need to be edited for those unfamiliar with the Korean language. At the same time, "naega" and "nega" are actually harmless words in Korean, and treating them as if they're provocative terms might be misrepresenting the language and the songs themselves.

K-Pop fans, what do you think?

source: http://www.allkpop.com/buzz/2014/11/...-radio-station
Skinz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 5th, 2014, 09:40 AM   #2
Honitsu
Pandemonium

Honitsu has a reputation beyond repute Honitsu has a reputation beyond repute Honitsu has a reputation beyond repute Honitsu has a reputation beyond repute Honitsu has a reputation beyond repute Honitsu has a reputation beyond repute Honitsu has a reputation beyond repute Honitsu has a reputation beyond repute Honitsu has a reputation beyond repute Honitsu has a reputation beyond repute Honitsu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Korean song gets censored on US Radio

ridiculous idea.
Singles (CHR#17) - Copenhagen 10 ; Beijing 11 ; Pattaya 12
Doubles (CHR#10) - Cincinnati 09 (w/Drake1980) ; Auckland+Copenhagen 10 (w/Richie's) ; Palermo 11 (w/Richie's) ; Stuttgart+Baku 12 (w/Richie's) ; Palermo 13 (w/Richie's) ; Monterrey 14 (w/Adrian.) USO 14 (w/Frederik)

Honitsu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2014, 10:00 AM   #3
country flag Utautai

Utautai has a reputation beyond repute Utautai has a reputation beyond repute Utautai has a reputation beyond repute Utautai has a reputation beyond repute Utautai has a reputation beyond repute Utautai has a reputation beyond repute Utautai has a reputation beyond repute Utautai has a reputation beyond repute Utautai has a reputation beyond repute Utautai has a reputation beyond repute Utautai has a reputation beyond repute

taking it to another level

Choose to be here, choose me.
I can't trust you anymore
i can and will turn against you as fast as i can
Utautai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2014, 10:21 AM   #4
country flag aknox

aknox has a reputation beyond repute aknox has a reputation beyond repute aknox has a reputation beyond repute aknox has a reputation beyond repute aknox has a reputation beyond repute aknox has a reputation beyond repute aknox has a reputation beyond repute aknox has a reputation beyond repute aknox has a reputation beyond repute aknox has a reputation beyond repute aknox has a reputation beyond repute

Such controversies about similiar sounding words happen not only with foreign words, but with English words too.

article here
Bez prace nejsou kolace

Pojd! Ajde! Allez up your...! Vamos!?.......
aknox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2014, 12:09 PM   #5
country flag buddyholly

buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future

The article lacks interest if it does not explain what the words may sound like. Not many people have the patience I showed to suffer through the video from the bimbo in the car.

I can only assume such a written explanation was censored.

I was going to give the example of how someone in New York lost his job because in a budget meeting he said that the upcoming budget would be niggardly.
But the post above already gives that example of political correctness gone crazy.
I think it was concluded that some people may not be familiar with the meaning of the word and might be offended. Therefore the person who used the word must be fired for offending those people who did not know enough English.

Last edited by buddyholly : Nov 5th, 2014 at 12:19 PM.
buddyholly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2014, 03:17 PM   #6
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not a K-Pop fan but if the entire song is in Korean, then that "censorship" seems like more PCism gone mad.
Old Nov 5th, 2014, 03:29 PM   #7
country flag Super Dave

Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute