Let's discuss a few improvements for the 2003 season! - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 04:26 PM   #1
country flag DoctorG
Team WTAworld
Moderator - Games

DoctorG has a reputation beyond repute DoctorG has a reputation beyond repute DoctorG has a reputation beyond repute DoctorG has a reputation beyond repute DoctorG has a reputation beyond repute DoctorG has a reputation beyond repute DoctorG has a reputation beyond repute DoctorG has a reputation beyond repute DoctorG has a reputation beyond repute DoctorG has a reputation beyond repute DoctorG has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Let's discuss a few improvements for the 2003 season!

Hi guys!

The 2003 season is coming, and Tennis Poker will be back with a couple of new rules.

Iím posting here two suggestions for possible improvements, I would like to hear your opinions about it.

The team event will change too, but Iíll post another thread very soon about it.
DoctorG is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 04:27 PM   #2
country flag DoctorG
Team WTAworld
Moderator - Games

DoctorG has a reputation beyond repute DoctorG has a reputation beyond repute DoctorG has a reputation beyond repute DoctorG has a reputation beyond repute DoctorG has a reputation beyond repute DoctorG has a reputation beyond repute DoctorG has a reputation beyond repute DoctorG has a reputation beyond repute DoctorG has a reputation beyond repute DoctorG has a reputation beyond repute DoctorG has a reputation beyond repute
SPARE CARDS

Injuries and withdrawals have deeply affected the game. Though each leg lasts at least three or four weeks, it has become more and more frequent for the players to be out of the game for a month or more. So, I think it was a good idea to have a couple of players sitting on the bench and ready to enter play if they are needed, but there are a few things about the spare card rules which donít work very well.

Spare cards were assigned to posters randomly, completely by chance; and as a result of this, two posters who have picked the same player may get a different value at the end, and I donít think thatís fair at all. Next year Iíll change the current spare card rule in order to replace a scoreless player with another one in ALL the combinations, so that all the posters who picked a certain player will get the same value. The spare cards will still be selected randomly among the higher ranked and not selected players, but each scoreless player will be replaced by the same spare card in all the combinations which include her.
Old Nov 28th, 2002, 04:27 PM   #3
country flag DoctorG
Team WTAworld
Moderator - Games

THE JOKER QUEST!

Brief reminder: a joker is a card which can be given any value and may help you to score better combinations. I like this idea, but an improvement is surely needed: Iíve decided to turn this feature into a competition where posters play actively each week.

Youíll have to predict the 4 semifinalists in each tournament, posting your picks in ďThe 2003 Joker Quest!Ē threads. Iíll probably post a link in the tournament forums to make it easier for you.

Youíll be given 1 point for each correct prediction.

The poster with more points at the end of the leg gets the joker and will be able to replace the lowest card in the hand.
Old Nov 28th, 2002, 04:27 PM   #4
country flag DoctorG
Team WTAworld
Moderator - Games

I hope everything is clear, feel free to ask any question if there is any doubt. Let me know what you think about these proposals, I would be very glad to hear your ideas and suggestions.

I will contact the moderator of this forum ( ) to edit all the ďI canít win!Ē complaints.
Old Nov 29th, 2002, 06:31 PM   #5
country flag The Crow
The hottest straight, goth rocker on the board
Admin Emeritus

The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute
Don't give me the chance to put in my 2 cents, cause you won't get rid of me

About the spare cards: isn't the success of your spare card based on how its value compares to the other 4 cards you have on your hand?? For instance a spare card of say a 10 can be good for one, while it's bad for another. So I don't really see why you would change that rule (although I don't see why you won't change the rule either ). I just don't see why you say the present rule isn't fair?

About the joker: good idea, but a reason why I love this game is that I haven't got to do something every week (as with all the other games) , so that would change with this new rule. But as said, it's not a bad suggestion...
Old Nov 30th, 2002, 01:23 AM   #6
country flag polishprodigy

polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute
I like this game no matter what.

My only concern was that in the team event, 3 of the 5 players on my team quit. So we were left with lacklustre results I wish punishment can be handed out .....
polishprodigy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 07:33 PM   #7
country flag DoctorG
Team WTAworld
Moderator - Games

Quote:
Originally posted by The Crow
Don't give me the chance to put in my 2 cents, cause you won't get rid of me

About the spare cards: isn't the success of your spare card based on how its value compares to the other 4 cards you have on your hand?? For instance a spare card of say a 10 can be good for one, while it's bad for another. So I don't really see why you would change that rule (although I don't see why you won't change the rule either ). I just don't see why you say the present rule isn't fair?

About the joker: good idea, but a reason why I love this game is that I haven't got to do something every week (as with all the other games) , so that would change with this new rule. But as said, it's not a bad suggestion...
Any input is welcome, we have plenty of time during the off-season to discuss about any aspect of the game which may be improved. I'm open to any suggestion.

You've made a very clever consideration about the spare cards; indeed, it's the overall combination which makes the difference, and the same value may bring very different results anyway. But the plain value of each card does influence, for example, the ranking points, and so the team event results too. If there's no big difference between the two systems, I prefer the new version, as it involves less tennis players.

About the jokers, well, indeed the I-let-Doc-do-all-the-work format has been one of the keys of the Tennis Poker success. But I really would like to change this feature in some way, as there have been too many jokers in the last season and the results have been deeply affected: 7 out of the top 8 in the last leg had the joker in their hand. I thought it was a good idea to focus on the posters instead of the tennis players in order to reduce the number of jokers in the deck; maybe I'll find a way to solve the problem without asking posters for an extra effort.
Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 07:37 PM   #8
country flag DoctorG
Team WTAworld
Moderator - Games

Quote:
Originally posted by polishprodigy
I like this game no matter what.

My only concern was that in the team event, 3 of the 5 players on my team quit. So we were left with lacklustre results I wish punishment can be handed out .....
That has been already solved quite easily: the team event results are based on the perfomance in the singles tournaments, where the combinations are (if not changed) automatically re-admitted in the following leg.

All the details about next year's team event will be posted soon, thank you for your interest and support.
Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 10:13 AM   #9
country flag The Crow
Admin Emeritus

The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute
Doc, about the jokers: you're right that jokers should be more limited in some way, and focussing on the posters rather than on the players is in my opinion a good thing. I just think every week is a bit too much (also for you, you'll have to start threads almost every week or so, right??). Maybe you could work something out so that posters have to give input at the beginning of legs only??
Old Dec 4th, 2002, 09:58 AM   #10
country flag RayRob
Team WTAworld

RayRob has much to be proud of RayRob has much to be proud of RayRob has much to be proud of RayRob has much to be proud of RayRob has much to be proud of RayRob has much to be proud of RayRob has much to be proud of RayRob has much to be proud of RayRob has much to be proud of RayRob has much to be proud of RayRob has much to be proud of
Talking

Hi Doc,

Again, thanks for keeping this game going - it's great.....as always

I have a kind of suggestion for the Spare cards rule. Last time, you dealt these cards out randomly but it turned out to be an unfair way of doing things (as you said). Correct me if I'm wrong but this time you say you want to give each of the players of Tennis poker a spare card of equal value to make it fair (providing one of their picks is out with injury). Am I getting this right?

If I got it right then I have a slight suggestion. Couldn't each of the players of tennis poker choose an extra two or three tennis players to act as "reserves" so that if one of their main picks is out with injury, you could replace that with their highest value "reserve" pick?

For example, if someone had a hand of:

Clijsters / Davenport / Seles / S. Williams / V. Williams

and their "reserves" were:

Henin / Mauresmo / Smashnova

but say Serena was out injured for a for a leg, could you not replace, the zero value of Serena in the hand with that of one of the "reserves" who has the highest value?

Say, all three of the reserves played in the same leg, but Mauresmo got the higher value out of them all for that leg, then she would be the one who replaces Serena in that hand for that leg.

Does this make sense, if so, what do you think of it?

Thanks
-Rachel
RayRob is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2002, 10:35 AM   #11
country flag The Crow
Admin Emeritus

Rachel I think you have it wrong (or otherwise I have it wrong ):

Doc wants to replace an injured tennis player by the same tennis player (for everyone who has picked that tennis player). So in the hypothetical (I hope!!) case if 2 tennispoker players have for instance Henin and she's injured, she will be replaced by the SAME spare cards for both tennispoker players. Right doc?
Old Dec 6th, 2002, 11:50 AM   #12
country flag RayRob
Team WTAworld

RayRob has much to be proud of RayRob has much to be proud of RayRob has much to be proud of RayRob has much to be proud of RayRob has much to be proud of RayRob has much to be proud of RayRob has much to be proud of RayRob has much to be proud of RayRob has much to be proud of RayRob has much to be proud of RayRob has much to be proud of
If that's the way it works Crow, I do understand it now, and yes, that is a good idea!

I just thought that with my idea, the tennis poker players would have a sort of chose in who replaces their injured player. That way tennis poker players would have to put their thinking caps on as to which players might make good results if one of the other players is injured.

It was just a thought

-Rachel
Old Dec 6th, 2002, 08:44 PM   #13
country flag DoctorG
Team WTAworld
Moderator - Games

First of all, I would like to thank The Crow and Rachel for their interest and great support.

About the spare cards, just to make things clear, an example based on the 2002 first leg.

Scoreless tennis players:
Davenport, Rubin and Zuluaga

The highest ranked players who hadnít been selected:
Farina-Elia, Raymond and Grande

Randomly chosen:
Davenport <=> Grande
Rubin <=> Farina-Elia
Zuluaga <=> Raymond

Grande replaces Davenport for all the posters who has picked Lindsay; the same happens for Silvia Farina-Elia in all the combinations which included Chanda Rubin; Lisa Raymond enters the hand of all the posters who have chosen Fabiola Zuluaga.

About the joker, in order to make things easier and to avoid an extra effort for the posters, we may simply transfer the current rule from the tennis tournaments to the Tennis Poker ones: the poster who loses in the first round to the eventual winner gets the joker for the following tournament. No effort at all, only one joker per leg, and a sort of compensation for bad luck in the draw.

What do you think about that?

Rachel,
thank you very much, but with your system two posters might end with the same set of players: following your example, it's possible that Clijsters / Davenport / Mauresmo / Seles / V.Williams has been picked by someone else, and it would be very difficult to spot it as the posters sign up; that's why spare cards are picked among players who haven't been chosen by any poster.
Old Dec 8th, 2002, 01:53 PM   #14
country flag The Crow
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by DoctorG
About the joker, in order to make things easier and to avoid an extra effort for the posters, we may simply transfer the current rule from the tennis tournaments to the Tennis Poker ones: the poster who loses in the first round to the eventual winner gets the joker for the following tournament. No effort at all, only one joker per leg, and a sort of compensation for bad luck in the draw.

What do you think about that?
O I like that idea!
Old Dec 9th, 2002, 01:04 PM   #15
country flag RayRob
Team WTAworld

OK, Doc, thanks for explaining, I understand.

I like the Joker idea too

-Rachel