MaKiri in New York - US Open 2012! - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 06:44 PM   #1
country flag misH@

misH@ is a name known to all misH@ is a name known to all misH@ is a name known to all misH@ is a name known to all misH@ is a name known to all misH@ is a name known to all misH@ is a name known to all misH@ is a name known to all misH@ is a name known to all misH@ is a name known to all misH@ is a name known to all
MaKiri in New York - US Open 2012!

Maria is 14th seed, but she has a tricky draw.

Kirielnko-Scheepers
Szavay-Arn
Voskoboeva-Rus
Hlavackova-Zakopalova

Peng-Vesnina
Makarova-Q
Lucic-Martinez Sanchez
Vanderweghe-S Williams

Maria is defending last 16 where sho lost to Stosur last year!
DAVAI MaKiri!
Genie Bouchard
misH@ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 07:12 PM   #2
country flag Remix13

Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of
Re: MaKiri in New York - US Open 2012!

She has chances to defend her R4 points, too bad reaching QF is impossible considering her most likely opponent...
Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 07:24 PM   #3
country flag peterlein

peterlein is a name known to all peterlein is a name known to all peterlein is a name known to all peterlein is a name known to all peterlein is a name known to all peterlein is a name known to all peterlein is a name known to all peterlein is a name known to all peterlein is a name known to all peterlein is a name known to all peterlein is a name known to all

oh please, not yet another williams!

...olympic bronze medalist...
peterlein is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2012, 12:28 AM   #4
country flag NYKiriFan

NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light

I like that she could get to avenge the French loss to Zakopalova.

I'm excited to see what she can do against Serena. It would be a much tougher match for Serena than most would expect.
NYKiriFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2012, 12:31 AM   #5
country flag 18majors

18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYKiriFan View Post
I like that she could get to avenge the French loss to Zakopalova.

I'm excited to see what she can do against Serena. It would be a much tougher match for Serena than most would expect.
Unlike Sharapova, Makiri matches well against Serena and always plays Serena very tough.
18majors is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2012, 07:36 AM   #6
country flag NYKiriFan

NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18majors View Post
Unlike Sharapova, Makiri matches well against Serena and always plays Serena very tough.
This.

I'm annoyed that despite Kiri's success since middle of last year - the Wimby quarters, the Olympic semis, this New Haven final - so many writers are calling this a cakewalk quarter for Serena. Kiri took a set off Serena at Stanford last time they played, when was the last time Sharapova came close to taking a set off Serena? Everyone seems just completely blind to the fact that Serena matches up well with the other top players on the tour, but players like Kiri & Zheng consistently give her more trouble. It's not just a matter of her randomly struggling against these players.

A few writers, Garber at ESPN & Nguyen at SI.com have given Kiri at least a little respect. The worst I read was the ESPNW draw analysis, which thinks a Sharapova-Williams final would be great prime time theater (uh, no) and thinks Coco is the toughest player in Serena's quarter because she had set points against her at Stanford this year (as if Kiri didn't actually take her to 3 last time they played, as I said). Of course tennis coverage will always be skewed by jingoism, and also most Americans seem to love the ball-bashers over the grinders in women's tennis.

Anyway, at the end of the day she needs to win on a big stage to get the respect she deserves. The QF win over Kvitova was huge but it was relegated to court 2 and ignored, and she couldn't come through to win a medal, and she couldn't quite finish against Aga at Wimbledon, and couldn't follow up that showstopping tiebreak against Stosur at last year's US Open, and neither of these matches were promoted ex-ante (though one tennisreporters.com poll ranked Stosur-Kirilenko the best match of 2011). I like how she's played over the last year+summer, and I think it'll come to her eventually.
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 07:45 PM   #7
the cat

the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaKiri rulezzz View Post
oh please, not yet another williams!
Willliams? Kiri has a tough first round match against Scheepers. Very tough opener for Kiri.
Happiness is like a cat. If you try to coax it or call it, it will avoid you. It will never come. But if you pay no attention to it and go about your business, you'll find it rubbing up against your legs and jumping into your lap. - William Bennett

http://cornedbeefhash.files.wordpres...arcelona08.jpg
the cat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 08:18 PM   #8
country flag peterlein

peterlein is a name known to all peterlein is a name known to all peterlein is a name known to all peterlein is a name known to all peterlein is a name known to all peterlein is a name known to all peterlein is a name known to all peterlein is a name known to all peterlein is a name known to all peterlein is a name known to all peterlein is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by the cat View Post
Willliams? Kiri has a tough first round match against Scheepers. Very tough opener for Kiri.
well, this was my first reaction when I checked her draw

williams/williams at wimbledon (x2), venus at cincy...now probably serena
but of course, you are right! the way to R4 is long and hard, maria needs to be fully concentrated, she has tough opponents in her quarter...tricky draw

Old Aug 26th, 2012, 08:29 PM   #9
country flag NYKiriFan

Yeah, this 1R match had better get a court show court 11/13/17 at least on Tuesday. Scheepers is 40 and moving up to 35. How many other 1R matches are there between top 40 players? The combined ranking of the two players - 47 - has to be the lowest of any 1R match, correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 10:02 PM   #10
country flag NYKiriFan

The Williams sisters & Kiri/Petrova could meet in the Round of 16, just like Kiri & Serena in the singles. Sigh, that's the second slam in a row they've been unlucky with the Williams sisters and the draw.

The Olympic & Wimbledon meetings were all great matches. Moving off grass naturally negates' the Williams' serve advantage to some degree, but at the same time, Venus has been steadily coming back into form this summer. If any team can beat them, it's Kiri & Petrova. This is a 3R doubles match that should be on Louis Armstrong, and certainly Court 2.
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 10:20 PM   #11
country flag peterlein

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYKiriFan View Post
The Williams sisters & Kiri/Petrova could meet in the Round of 16, just like Kiri & Serena in the singles. Sigh, that's the second slam in a row they've been unlucky with the Williams sisters and the draw.

The Olympic & Wimbledon meetings were all great matches. Moving off grass naturally negates' the Williams' serve advantage to some degree, but at the same time, Venus has been steadily coming back into form this summer. If any team can beat them, it's Kiri & Petrova. This is a 3R doubles match that should be on Louis Armstrong, and certainly Court 2.
somehow, that was to expect
at least they didn't meet in the olympics QF, like errani/vinci did, so the medal chances were not ruined

when will the williams sisters finally get a seed?
they won wimbledon and the olympics, and they're still unseeded, ridiculous

well, as you said, if someone beats them, then kiri/nadia

Old Aug 27th, 2012, 07:08 AM   #12
country flag Remix13

Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of

I didn't know the doubles draw was released, and I read here they'll meet the Brothers again

Anyway let's beat Scheepers first, which is not easy.
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 10:11 AM   #13
country flag King Aaron
Team WTAworld
Mr. Try Too Hard

King Aaron has disabled reputation

All the best for the first round Masha.
One match at a time.
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 10:34 PM   #14
country flag peterlein

maria vs. scheepers is scheduled as last match on court 11, which is a showcourt

beginning is at 11:00 AM (local time), (17:00 PM, CET)

Court 11
11:00 AM
Men's Singles - 1st Round

Santiago Giraldo (COL)
vs.
Milos Raonic (CAN)[15]

Women's Singles - 1st Round

Vania King (USA)
vs.
Yaroslava Shvedova (KAZ)

Men's Singles - 1st Round

Julien Benneteau (FRA)[31]
vs.
Olivier Rochus (BEL)

Women's Singles - 1st Round

Maria Kirilenko (RUS)[14]
vs.
Chanelle Scheepers (RSA)

maria and scheepers are tied up in ther H2H: 2-2

they met three times last year, kiri won at the FO, but scheepers won both of the matches on hardcourt
kiri lost a tough three-setter at the semis of guangzhou, where the umpire made some terrible calls against her

let's take revenge maria, DAVAI

Old Aug 27th, 2012, 11:29 PM   #15
country flag Kirilenko_Kamp

Kirilenko_Kamp is a splendid one to behold Kirilenko_Kamp is a splendid one to behold Kirilenko_Kamp is a splendid one to behold Kirilenko_Kamp is a splendid one to behold Kirilenko_Kamp is a splendid one to behold Kirilenko_Kamp is a splendid one to behold Kirilenko_Kamp is a splendid one to behold Kirilenko_Kamp is a splendid one to behold Kirilenko_Kamp is a splendid one to behold Kirilenko_Kamp is a splendid one to behold Kirilenko_Kamp is a splendid one to behold

Lions and Tigers and Scheep!?! OH MY!!! Lions and Tigers and Scheep!?! OH MY!!! Lions and Tigers and Scheep!?! OH MY!!! Just ignore me... I've got alcohol in my system right now...(hiccup)
Kirilenko_Kamp is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote