Multi sports thread - Page 24 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 1st, 2013, 10:14 AM   #346
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Multi sports thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
IAnd a guy like Wiggins MAY be clean, but the sport of cycling has lost any "benefit of the doubt" ages ago.
Just don't ask him about it. He appears to take offense

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 1st, 2013, 03:30 PM   #347
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm not the least bit interested in cycling. It's entire history is fake.And a guy like Wiggins MAY be clean, but the sport of cycling has lost any "benefit of the doubt" ages ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Woin1t9ArA
Wiggins!!!I'm gonna bury your career on behalf of all my little bike-amaniacs!

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

JUSTICIA PARA LAS NORMALISTAS!! Pena de muerte para todos los narcos en Mexico!
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 06:55 PM   #348
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisFan66 View Post
Just don't ask him about it. He appears to take offense
And if he's clean I can definitely understand that. But cycling has always been a sport where everyone would put his right hand on the bible and swear that the're on the level. And time after time after time from one generation to the other they were found out to have told less than the truth, to put it mildly. Maybe Wiggins and the current crop really are the new beginning, but I've heard the "brand new start" story one too many times over the decades only to find out that the next generation was just as bad (or worse) as the previous one. At this point any such statements get nothing other than a from me. With apologies to those who are clean, but I've had it with cycling.
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 04:03 PM   #349
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And if he's clean I can definitely understand that. But cycling has always been a sport where everyone would put his right hand on the bible and swear that the're on the level. And time after time after time from one generation to the other they were found out to have told less than the truth, to put it mildly. Maybe Wiggins and the current crop really are the new beginning, but I've heard the "brand new start" story one too many times over the decades only to find out that the next generation was just as bad (or worse) as the previous one. At this point any such statements get nothing other than a from me. With apologies to those who are clean, but I've had it with cycling.
I understand what you're saying but the difference to me is that I don't think there has really been "a brand new start" story until now. Time after time the line has been when someone is caught not to admit just how serious the problem was. It was the butt of jokes but the line I got was well that cyclist and/or that team that have failed the drug test have been naughty boys. But I never heard anyone say that now we caught that one team or individual it's a brand new start.

I'm not saying the problem has been cracked but I do think attitudes at the top have changed. I agree that it's going to take a long time before people are going to be convinced. On the one hand - cyclists must pass the tests. But also - the tests must not be seen as a "soft touch" and easy to breach. If the determination of driving out drugs from the game is maintained - I think the attitudes af many will gradually change when the jokes stop - and that it could be viewed as something of the past.

Incidentally - one thing I'm against is stripping anyone of their titles once a small prespecified finite time has elapsed - and that includes Armstrong. Does it mean anything like the real winner of the Tour de France one year was the rider who came in at #46. It's like looking back in history and discovering that a King cheated to become the King and was not the real person in line or bumped of the people who were in line. So we'll strip away the title that he was King. And on the analogy of Kings and Queens - their acts were horrendous. But it was then not now with different values and those dreadful things happened in a different era.

So I'm very much in favour of just drawing a line over the whole thing in the past. But there must not be a repeat where we have to draw another line.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters

Last edited by terjw : Feb 2nd, 2013 at 04:10 PM.
terjw is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 05:56 PM   #350
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

I've never been a big cycling fan myself, but in Belgium where I live you can't escape it because it's one of the two most popular sports over here, and possibly even THE most popular. Every important and semi-important race is on the telly, everyday there are countless articles about it in the newspapers and magazines, and so on. And Belgium has had countless legendary champions of the sport, including the by far greatest cyclist in history Eddy Merckx.

Merckx didn't just beat his rivals, he humiliated them. He dominated cycling more than Ali or Robinson did boxing, Pelé or Maradonna football, Jordan basketball, Comaneci gymnastics, Ruth baseball or Federer tennis. He won more important races than the numbers two, three and four in history combined and in much more dominant fashion than anyone before or since. In short, compared to him Armstrong looked like a nobody. And he was (surprise) of course caught three times taking PED. But he didn't win necessarily because of that alone, because most of his important contemporaries were exposed as cheats as well. Merckx was active in the late 60's and 70's. Ever since that time I'm used to doping stories in cycling. Rarely has there been a period of more than a few months without someone getting caught. And since cycling is so popular over here I was since my youth also aware of some of the 'scandals' of pre-Merckx cycling.

In Britain and the US the popularity of cycling is a relatively recent phenomenon and therefore they are probably not as familiar with the history of the sport as people from Belgium, France, Spain or Italy where cycling has always been one of the most popular sports. For me the Armstrong and co stories are hardly shocking or surprising. In fact I've never known it to be any different. Here's a pretty good and inevitably long, but nevertheless STILL incomplete wikipedia article about the history of PED in cycling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ses_in_cycling
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2013, 05:07 AM   #351
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

We weren't the best team,but we made the big plays more consistently than any of the other squads during the playoff run.In a year when there were no clearly dominant teams,we managed to fill the vacuum by exploiting our foes' weaknesses.To me,it was truly an amazing,unforgettable stretch

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Old Feb 6th, 2013, 05:12 AM   #352
country flag bruce goose

To me,it was foolish and risky of the NHL players to risk alienating the fanbase with another work stoppage less than a decade after the previous one......but they've been back for a little while now,and we'll see how faithful the fans are in the markets that aren't so rock solid

Old Feb 7th, 2013, 07:30 AM   #353
country flag bruce goose

Well,we didn't look so hot...playing a scoreless draw with Jamaica...unlike Honduras who got a nice 2-1 victory over the World Cup* Champions
*=World Cup of Salami Swallowing

Old Feb 13th, 2013, 06:35 PM   #354
country flag C. W. Fields

C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute

Shahar Peer deja vu.
http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/It...#axzz2KaObCa7g
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 12:01 PM   #355
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Start to the new F1 season just a week away. While I do not wish to sound like an over excited tween girl, it looks to be an EPIC season.

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 11:36 PM   #356
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Start to the new F1 season just a week away. While I do not wish to sound like an over excited tween girl, it looks to be an EPIC season.
I'm still struggling to understand what on earth Lewis was thinking of in leaving McLaren to go to Mercedes. When you look back at the antics of Senna and Prost to drive the best car - and Lewis wamts to go the other way.

Old Mar 8th, 2013, 05:35 AM   #357
country flag bruce goose

Quote:
As a guy,I have an intellectual grasp of how the sport might be highly appealing to certain other guys.As I've said before,though,it simply lacks any hold on ME...partly b/c I've sat in city traffic so many times that I'd rather not watch a sport,in my FREE time,which reminds me of that.Also,that near-fatal car wreck--which I won't rehash anymore--is a barrier that prevents me from ever overly loving automobiles........though my current vehicle is,by far,the most ergonomic and comfy that I've ever had,thus earning my appreciation and more dedicated maintenance.I suppose that's the closest to Car Love that I'll ever get

Old Mar 8th, 2013, 10:04 AM   #358
country flag TennisFan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjw View Post
I'm still struggling to understand what on earth Lewis was thinking of in leaving McLaren to go to Mercedes. When you look back at the antics of Senna and Prost to drive the best car - and Lewis wamts to go the other way.
Well, Mercedes has looked fast in practice. I feel a tad sorry for Schumie. He'll have been involved developing the 2013 car, last season, but now he's not there to reek the benefits.

McLaren has started quite slow the last couple of seasons and played catch-up through-out. Looks to be similar this year?

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
Old Mar 9th, 2013, 07:37 PM   #359
country flag terjw

One thing which really strikes me after Rory's apology for withdrawing in the middle of the round is the difference in ethics between the two most ethical of sports at the top level - Snooker and Golf compared to other sports. Both those two sports - players automatically call against themselves things that the officials don't spot. And in this latest scandal in golf - it's an unwritten rule that Rory broke that you just don't withdraw in golf unless you really have some really serious problem threatening your heath.

Contrast that and the condemnation Rory rightly got with the tactical withdrawals and retirements in women's tennis that happen all the time and are actually applauded as being smart.

Old Mar 9th, 2013, 11:12 PM   #360
country flag C. W. Fields

C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute

33 yo Tine Baun, Denmark's best female badminton player and former world #1 is playing her last tournament these days. Fittingly, her last tournament is All England, which she has won two times previously. And even more fittingly, she's in the final again. Her opponent Sunday will be Ratchanok from Thailand who leads their H2H 3-1.

NB: As far as prestige goes, All England is as important to badminton players as Wimbledon is to tennis players.

Last edited by C. W. Fields : Mar 10th, 2013 at 06:02 AM.
C. W. Fields is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote