Top ten favourite novels - Page 8 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 28th, 2013, 12:27 PM   #106
country flag shap_half

shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Top ten favourite novels

Let the 13 year old. You don't have to agree with him/her. This is why a canon is unnecessary. You don't need to tell people which books are important - they'll decide for themselves. That's the conversation, though, right? Should the canon be the best written books or the books that have had the most impact on the zeitgeist. If it's the former, then of course there's no way you can argue that Twilight belongs there, but if it's the latter, then, yes, you have to recognize the contributions that book has made to literature and pop culture.
shap_half is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 28th, 2013, 12:41 PM   #107
country flag Gagsquet

Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like this point of view. It makes everything equal. It would lead to make study Twilight in class because the majority of the class like it. Indeed sum of personal preferences = classics in your world.
Gagsquet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 12:43 PM   #108
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

I thought this thread was supposed to be about favorite novels, not greatest novels.
stromatolite is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 12:49 PM   #109
country flag Gagsquet

Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
I thought this thread was supposed to be about favorite novels, not greatest novels.
That's why the thread is made for
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 12:51 PM   #110
country flag shap_half

shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagsquet View Post
I don't like this point of view. It makes everything equal. It would lead to make study Twilight in class because the majority of the class like it. Indeed sum of personal preferences = classics in your world.
It means respecting other people's opinions. And it doesn't mean that it would lead to the close reading and critical analysis of any book. A book like Twilight has a lot of flaws that I think most people recognize, which is why it doesn't get taught in schools. You however can't deny the impact it has made. And you're right, personal preferences are the classics of my own world. Why should your personal preferences trump mine, anyway? Why should Professor Pretentious's matter more? Your taste isn't more important than mine if we're talking about favorites. The whole point of a canon is what exactly?
shap_half is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 12:53 PM   #111

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagsquet View Post
That's why the thread is made for
If it's about favorite novels, Twilight has as much right to be mentioned here as Madame Bovary or War & Peace. If it's about greatest novels, maybe not
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 12:55 PM   #112
country flag Gagsquet

Quote:
Originally Posted by shap_half View Post
It means respecting other people's opinions. And it doesn't mean that it would lead to the close reading and critical analysis of any book. A book like Twilight has a lot of flaws that I think most people recognize, which is why it doesn't get taught in schools. You however can't deny the impact it has made. And you're right, personal preferences are the classics of my own world. Why should your personal preferences trump mine, anyway? Why should Professor Pretentious's matter more? Your taste isn't more important than mine if we're talking about favorites. The whole point of a canon is what exactly?
Some people have bad taste.
If you like Twilight, that's ok.
But it doesn't make it a classic regardless if you like it or not.

Quote:
If it's about favorite novels, Twilight has as much right to be mentioned here as Madame Bovary or War & Peace. If it's about greatest novels, maybe not
I completely agree with you
But the person above pretends that if Twilight is your personal favourite then it's a classic. Just no.
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 01:14 PM   #113

^Actually, my point is that people pretty much stopped posting lists here after the thread turned into a hardcore literary discussion forum.

That's a shame. It's nice to learn what people like to read, whether highbrow or lowbrow.
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 03:47 PM   #114
country flag fantic

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

Harry Potter series is the greatest literary output of all, maybe behind the Bible.

It's an ultra mega buster bestseller!!

And it's even translated into LATIN and ANCIENT GREEK, dead languages! Even Tolkien's Hobbit was only translated into Latin

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 04:48 PM   #115
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Plus . . who gets to decide what the greatest novels are? There are no "greatest novels." Like everything else in art it's all just preference and opinion.
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 05:50 PM   #116
country flag Ksenia.
The fire still burns.

Ksenia. has a reputation beyond repute Ksenia. has a reputation beyond repute Ksenia. has a reputation beyond repute Ksenia. has a reputation beyond repute Ksenia. has a reputation beyond repute Ksenia. has a reputation beyond repute Ksenia. has a reputation beyond repute Ksenia. has a reputation beyond repute Ksenia. has a reputation beyond repute Ksenia. has a reputation beyond repute Ksenia. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantic View Post
Harry Potter series is the greatest literary output of all, maybe behind the Bible.

It's an ultra mega buster bestseller!!

And it's even translated into LATIN and ANCIENT GREEK, dead languages! Even Tolkien's Hobbit was only translated into Latin
Please be not serious
And it is hardly an indication of literary value.
Ksenia. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 07:36 PM   #117
country flag fantic

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksenia. View Post
Please be not serious
And it is hardly an indication of literary value.
It was a joke But surely it had MUCH bigger impact than the Twilight series?

Curious though; why did they even BOTHER to translate those to dead languages???!!

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson

Last edited by fantic : Jan 28th, 2013 at 11:09 PM.
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 10:56 PM   #118
country flag Cajka

Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam L View Post
I have René and Atala. These two are just the best. Maybe you are right with Austen. That's probably it feels neither here nor there with her for me. One thing she does very well is describe the world that she is familiar with. I mean there are embellishments there. But it's just that the themes and subjects are always the same. What have I read, S&S, P&P, Emma. I have her other novels. I haven't read them. One day I might read Northanger Abbey.
There's one thing I honestly appreciate about Austen. In the era when women could rarely get proper education, when most of them were similar to characters in her novels (which is not their own fault, that's how the society was), she made something big and it made a difference. I don't like her novels, but there's a bigger picture. As a female, I have to appreciate her role in history when it comes to women's emancipation. It gives me another perspective.
Cajka is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 12:35 AM   #119
country flag SilverPersian

SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantic View Post
It was a joke But surely it had MUCH bigger impact than the Twilight series?

Curious though; why did they even BOTHER to translate those to dead languages???!!
I've been trying to read Harry Potter in Italian to try and improve in my reading skills. I guess people might use them to learn Ancient Greek and Latin.
Stanislas Wawrinka|Ryan Harrison|Andy Murray

SilverPersian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 03:25 PM   #120
country flag fantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPersian View Post
I've been trying to read Harry Potter in Italian to try and improve in my reading skills. I guess people might use them to learn Ancient Greek and Latin.
HP is so 'useful', isn't it

- Woodrow Wilson