Top ten favourite novels - Page 7 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 02:10 PM   #91
country flag Corswandt

Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Top ten favourite novels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagsquet View Post
Anyone read the whole A la recherche du temps perdu here ? I plan to read it but I am maybe too young.
I read the first two and half of the third vol. back in 2003-2004, and re-read those and then the remaining vols. from August 2011 to August 2012, which was a time during which I wasn't reading much else, and wasn't reading much period.

At the "What book are you reading" thread I posted my view of Proust:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corswandt
The only time I felt like this before was while reading the first 3 vols. of Proust's À la Recherche..., but there I felt trapped inside the mind of an unbearably fastidious, snobbish, fussy ponce, without any sort of reprieve.

[...]

Got back to À la Recherche du Temps Perdu yesterday. Currently (and very slowly) re-reading the first 2 and 1/2 vols. I read back in 2003-2004.

You already know how I feel about À la Recherche - page upon page of the abstruse ramblings of a snobbish fusspot, nearly always about the most frivolous of topics. I didn't stop reading it the first time because I felt "defeated" by a "daunting" novel, but because I was sick of feeling trapped inside Monsieur Proust's unbearably fastidious mind and concluded that I was wasting my time when there was so much more compelling stuff out there waiting to be read. No point in plodding through stuff you're not enjoying just so that you can later brag about having finished it.

So I'm getting back to it mostly because it's so wonderfully written, yet I still have my misgivings.

Last edited by Corswandt : Jan 23rd, 2013 at 02:19 PM.
Corswandt is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 02:14 PM   #92
country flag Gagsquet

Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute

Did you read it in French ? English ? Portuguese ?
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 02:14 PM   #93
country flag Corswandt

Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce85 View Post
Le Grand Meaulnes--- Alain Fournier
There's nothing unconventional in form, structure or presentation about this book, yet it's unlike anything else I've ever read.

Letting my narcissism run rampant over this thread and quoting myself again:

http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost....postcount=1306
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 02:16 PM   #94
country flag Corswandt

Quote:
Did you read it in French ? English ? Portuguese ?
Portuguese; my French isn't up to reading full novels, at least without a lot of unnecessary effort (unnecessary because French, unlike English, translates well into Portuguese). It was the Tamen translation, which is the more recent and has superseded the previous as the standard one.
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 02:26 PM   #95
country flag Gagsquet

Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your opinion anyway. I'll wait a bit for Proust, I have too many books I want to read before anyway.
One of my teachers recommended me Saramago. Do you have some recommendations of books from him to start ?
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 02:34 PM   #96
country flag Corswandt

Quote:
One of my teachers recommended me Saramago. Do you have some recommendations of books from him to start ?
The Year of the Death of Ricardo Reis remains probably his finest novel, but I think it's too topical for a foreigner to fully get into. So IMO you should start with Blindness, like everyone else. It reads like a genre novel, full of plausible detail, while addressing Big Issues. Plus it's not as cold, distant and misanthropic as some of his other work (Ricardo Reis included).
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 02:52 PM   #97
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corswandt View Post
Ewwwwwwww.
We've already done this argument.
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 02:58 PM   #98
country flag Cajka

Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corswandt View Post
I read the first two and half of the third vol. back in 2003-2004, and re-read those and then the remaining vols. from August 2011 to August 2012, which was a time during which I wasn't reading much else, and wasn't reading much period.

At the "What book are you reading" thread I posted my view of Proust:
People say it gets better in the second half of volume 1, but it didn't happen in my case and I see it didn't work for you neither. I was reading it on my summer vacation, it wasn't a book for a beach, but however. I thought it was boring and some parts infuriated me (when he couldn't fall asleep without his mom). But I was 21 back then, I think I would read it from a different perspective now. I wanted to read something more exciting at that moment.
Cajka is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 10:29 AM   #99
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajka View Post
I'd say she was a romantic realist, if it can be said. It was the age of romanticism, but her writing style and themes were more similar to novels that belong to realism. Francois Rene was perhaps one of the best or typical romanticism writers, like Byron.

Although some of Jane's characters are obviously romanticism characters, Marc Darcy, for example. He's very similar to Onegin.
I have René and Atala. These two are just the best. Maybe you are right with Austen. That's probably it feels neither here nor there with her for me. One thing she does very well is describe the world that she is familiar with. I mean there are embellishments there. But it's just that the themes and subjects are always the same. What have I read, S&S, P&P, Emma. I have her other novels. I haven't read them. One day I might read Northanger Abbey.

Quote:
Anyone read the whole A la recherche du temps perdu here ? I plan to read it but I am maybe too young.
I plan to.
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 10:33 AM   #100
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dybbuk View Post
As I've gotten older I've just in general moved away from this near unchangeable Canon that is filled with superior writers than you have to love and appreciate or there's something wrong with you. I was obsessed with that when I was younger, and to a large extent my reading is still influenced by it. But I just can't get behind it anymore. It bothers me how the Canon and the "classics" is mostly shorthand for Western classics with a small sprinkling of Middle Eastern ones (While the Eastern "Canon" is comparatively ignored). It bothers me that 95% of the people that have chosen the Canon are white men who bristled for years at including authors from Africa, India and other such places. Nowadays I just read what interests me and don't read what doesn't. For me personally that still includes largely members of the Canon, but I supplement it with whatever I want. I appreciate the type of Canon central literary theory people like Harold Bloom preach, but I don't have enough time or interest in trying to force myself to like authors like Austen or DeLillo just because some guys from prestigious American and British universities said I need to.
Agreed. I will give them a go but if I don't like it, I'm not going to force myself to read it. For example, I can't stand Dickens.
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 12:04 PM   #101
country flag shap_half

shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&R View Post
Just different tastes I guess . Memoirs of Hadrian is a masterpiece, I read it in french and it was amazing. Why did you stop reading it?
I just couldn't get into it. I tried, and tried, because I heard it was really fantastic, but I couldn't do it - it just didn't stick. I felt the same way about The Corrections, which is now my favorite novel . I just had to put it down, and then I picked it back up a year later.
shap_half is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 12:12 PM   #102
country flag shap_half

shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute

The idea of a canon is both pointless and necessary. I don't like the idea of an international canon, because it generally leans heavily to the west. I think that needs to be done away with, and instead each country should have its own canon. There's really no reason for there to be an international list of writings that we all consider to be important.
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 12:16 PM   #103
country flag Gagsquet

the list made by the novelists themselves (in 2002 from memory) is a good start I think.
After you can always criticize the list of authors in it.
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 12:20 PM   #104
country flag shap_half

Being a novelist doesn't make you an expert in literature. I've read some truly terrible things, and you see effusive praise coming from renowned writers, and I'm thinking, John Irving, you've lost your damn mind.

You either believe in the canon or you don't. It doesn't really matter who compiles the list.
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 12:23 PM   #105
country flag Gagsquet

Then no one can judge and Twilight can be the greatest book ever if a thirteen yo teen claims it.