Restructuring the team tourny incuding the 3 weekend NCAA idea.. - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 15th, 2012, 07:34 PM   #1
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all
Restructuring the team tourny incuding the 3 weekend NCAA idea..

The proposed tiebreaker rule seems soooooo dumb, that I’ve got to question if its intended purpose is like a military diversion tactic or head fake, and the real plan is that it fails, but gives the cover so that the three weekend NCAA plan gets through

That’s probably giving too much credit and overthinking, but changing the tourny format including the 3 weekend NCAA tournament plan or an elite 8 alternative merits its own thread.

Proposed tournament change is

Weekend 1 ) Round of 64 and Round of 32
Weekend 2) Round of 16 and Quarters (8)
Weekend 3) Semis (4) and Finals (2)

Also Rules:
The highest seed remaining after weekend 1, will host weekend 2

Different effects (But please add more) :

(a ) Lots of teams don’t have the infrastructure to hold the Championships with the current format but could do a final four team event. They are . . ..
(b) highest seed remaining rule would mean that teams have to have contingency plans with officials, security, ticket sales, hospitality, if they win weekend one. Seems like a major planning burden.
(c) spreading the championship over 22 days mean that conferences have to end their championships earlier.
(d) more intended and unintended consequences. Please suggest.
2nd_serve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 16th, 2012, 04:26 PM   #2
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all
Re: Restructuring the team tourny incuding the 3 weekend NCAA idea..

Trying to think creatively here, with the freedom to throw out ideas that are not fully baked.

Some of the goals of the report is to shorten the tournament and allow a greater chance for upsets.The biggest target there is the first round matches between the 1-16 group against the 48-64 group. There are never upsets in this round, and some form of byes could go to the top 16. This would shorten the tournament for the top 16 teams, and also for the players who often overlap and play in the individual tourny

Group 33-47 could play against 48 to 64 for the first round, allowing a possibility of upsets.

Again, I'm not endorsing my own idea as fully baked, but trying to think creatively of alternatives.
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 02:09 AM   #3
country flag 2nd_serve

This new format creates a new dividing point between the teams ending the season ranked four and that team ranked 5, because the top four teams would be expected to host the second weekend as well.

For those top 16 teams, the matches usually only get tough the second weekend, but only the top four teams would have the huge advantage of playing at home.

Here is the language.

The top 16 seeds, if bid requirements were met, would continue to host first/second
rounds. For the regional weekend, the highest seeds remaining would host as long
as bid requirements were met. A stipend would be paid to both the first/second round
(current policy) and regional host sites to cover costs.

Do you read the effect the same way??

Last edited by 2nd_serve : Aug 18th, 2012 at 02:20 AM.
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 02:16 AM   #4
country flag 2nd_serve

Applying the who hosts the second weekend rule to last year's draw would have the bolded teams hosting.

1 UCLA
16 OLE MISS

9 CAL
8 ALA

5 S CAL
12 BAYLOR

13 Northwestern
4 Stanford

3 DUKE
14 Virginia

11 Texas
6 Georgia

7 N Caroline
10 Miami

15 Michigan
2 FL

I think, but would like to hear other opinions, would the teams closest to the bold second weekend host travel to that closest site on the draw, rather than closest geographically?

Last edited by 2nd_serve : Aug 18th, 2012 at 02:39 AM.
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 02:19 AM   #5
country flag 2nd_serve

With the new pressure to be in the top 4, it would incentivize Stanford and Florida to go to indoors. Maybe, other schedule adjustments as well.
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 11:12 PM   #6
country flag 3gtennis

3gtennis is an unknown quantity at this point

Make those two play indoors, if they want to start playing The INDOORS again. No reason for indoors to be OUTDOORS. Oxymoron!
3gtennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 11:34 PM   #7
country flag 2nd_serve

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3gtennis View Post
Make those two play indoors, if they want to start playing The INDOORS again. No reason for indoors to be OUTDOORS. Oxymoron!
Sorry, I don't capture what you mean. Could you explain it again?
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 11:37 PM   #8
country flag 2nd_serve

The other issues are that there is a big benefit for being seeded in the top 4, and comparatively teams 5 through 16 will suffer an dis-adventageous position. They will have to play their hard matches on the favored teams home court. Also, they don't get the exciting experience of travelling to the National Championships, and seeing their friends and opponents from other teams.
Old Aug 19th, 2012, 04:30 AM   #9
country flag 3gtennis

3gtennis is an unknown quantity at this point

Florida is one of the sites that hosted in the past and had rain out days with no indoors. If you want to host during the indoors, play indoors.
3gtennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2012, 04:30 PM   #10
country flag 2nd_serve

ncaa website statement
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/...+championships
Old Aug 19th, 2012, 04:38 PM   #11
country flag 2nd_serve

Has the NCAA presented descriptive statistics for the length of current dual matches used in tournament, e.g match abandoned once point is decided?

I'm thinking because we remember best those exciting matches, that we may be overestimating the length of matches.

A similar observation occurs with airline flights. People estimate that flights are typically more crowded that is statistically true, because there are more people on crowded flights, so the observation sample is biased to crowded.

In tennis, we probably have more fans, and more memorable matches with parity level teams, and thus the observational bias also goes to longer than is statistically true.
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 02:42 PM   #12
country flag 2nd_serve

There is an interesting Dick Gould, position paper, long time Stanford men's coach, director of tennis, and leader in hosting the NCAA. To shorthand it, he questions if he would put in a bid to host for a four team format. Says not enough synergy and momentum, it wouldn't generate fan excitement and ticket sales.

Again my short handing of his statements is the Championship s would rotate between low rent venues, and those sites were a men's team would be confident of a final four finish.