Rule Changes All About Money - TV Money - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Reply

Old Aug 18th, 2012, 03:27 PM   #31
country flag paul_masterton
Senior Member
 
paul_masterton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 9,881
paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rule Changes All About Money - TV Money

If college tennis goes down this route the US will have no WTA tennis stars doing well so as to get more WTA events televised it the states. Because players will go on to the tour too early because college tennis is a waste of time, they will not be ready, and they will flounder.

I'm afraid your argument just doesn't hold, and it is you who is being short sighted.

The only hope is that this is NCAA only, and the ITA refuse to do likewise in dual play for the regular season.
paul_masterton is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old Aug 18th, 2012, 08:34 PM   #32
country flag 3gtennis
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 97
3gtennis is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Rule Changes All About Money - TV Money

Let editors work during a match and for one hour afterward. Slice, dice and then televise the match. It does not take a rocket scientist to advise a TV person what can be cut. Hardcore people can still watch live video college feeds or live scores. Tweak match starting times to help TV starting times and keep them as close to live as possible. Get stricter on college facility requirements for outdoor court numbers and more importantly six onsite indoors. You then control weather. Rich, successful, but no 6 indoor--if you want on TV, play on the road or build. There are many ways to attack a TV friendlier model before wiping out what makes college tennis exciting.
3gtennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 10:42 PM   #33
country flag USTennisfan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 133
USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Rule Changes All About Money - TV Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_masterton View Post
If college tennis goes down this route the US will have no WTA tennis stars doing well so as to get more WTA events televised it the states. Because players will go on to the tour too early because college tennis is a waste of time, they will not be ready, and they will flounder.

I'm afraid your argument just doesn't hold, and it is you who is being short sighted.

The only hope is that this is NCAA only, and the ITA refuse to do likewise in dual play for the regular season.
To follow this thought... We are more passionate than the stats bear out. Of the current US WTA Top 200 out of 20 US girls only Julia Cohen, Irina Falconi, Jill Craybas, and, and ...guess what no one else even played college tennis. So you haven't made your point. We will do fine again drama...passionate but unsubstantiated. We will still have US WTA stars with this change at the NCAA dual match championships..

I agree with you however it may only be a NCAA Chmp thing, so everyone can relax.
USTennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 10:55 PM   #34
country flag USTennisfan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 133
USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Rule Changes All About Money - TV Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3gtennis View Post
Let editors work during a match and for one hour afterward. Slice, dice and then televise the match. It does not take a rocket scientist to advise a TV person what can be cut. Hardcore people can still watch live video college feeds or live scores. Tweak match starting times to help TV starting times and keep them as close to live as possible. Get stricter on college facility requirements for outdoor court numbers and more importantly six onsite indoors. You then control weather. Rich, successful, but no 6 indoor--if you want on TV, play on the road or build. There are many ways to attack a TV friendlier model before wiping out what makes college tennis exciting.
Good thought and may just pan out...but. TV pays more for LIVE college sports... You know why? Because people don't already know the outcome...Too much twitter, instant messaging, Internet etc. Follow the other sports the NCAA are collecting TV revenue off of and they are Live!

Gosh you'd think college tennis is blowing the doors off the current attendance numbers if you follow all of us fanboys. But in reality the live crowds are terrible and the ticket revenue is minuscule in comparison to other sports. So I wish all of you make a real run and fill the stands in support of the current format and bring your friends because again someone is saying it isn't working the way it is now and the revenue stream is dry and that's the bottom line.
USTennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2012, 12:13 AM   #35
country flag paul_masterton
Senior Member
 
paul_masterton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 9,881
paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rule Changes All About Money - TV Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by USTennisfan View Post
To follow this thought... We are more passionate than the stats bear out. Of the current US WTA Top 200 out of 20 US girls only Julia Cohen, Irina Falconi, Jill Craybas, and, and ...guess what no one else even played college tennis. So you haven't made your point. We will do fine again drama...passionate but unsubstantiated. We will still have US WTA stars with this change at the NCAA dual match championships..

I agree with you however it may only be a NCAA Chmp thing, so everyone can relax.
Yes but it's only in the past few years top juniors have started looking at college as a real option. That's new. I have no doubt that as the teenage phenomenon continues to be less likely the numbers will increase but it will be 3-5yrs before that happens. If the rules change for dual season, which it doesn't look like, then there is no alternative pathway for the 99.9% who aren't old enough to break through at 18.
paul_masterton is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2012, 12:44 AM   #36
country flag 2nd_serve
Senior Member
 
2nd_serve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,134
2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all
Re: Rule Changes All About Money - TV Money

The NCAA qualifies for the non-profit exemption because it claims to be "organized and operated exclusively for educational purposes."

The NCAA is willing to take a crap shoot with tennis with a maybe 5% chance of a payout, because they are making zero dollars from it now

If I read correctly what USTennisfan writes, these changes are not being organized and operated exclusively for educational purposes.
2nd_serve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2012, 01:19 AM   #37
country flag 2nd_serve
Senior Member
 
2nd_serve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,134
2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all
Re: Rule Changes All About Money - TV Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by USTennisfan View Post
To follow this thought... We are more passionate than the stats bear out. Of the current US WTA Top 200 out of 20 US girls only Julia Cohen, Irina Falconi, Jill Craybas, and, and ...guess what no one else even played college tennis. So you haven't made your point. We will do fine again drama...passionate but unsubstantiated. We will still have US WTA stars with this change at the NCAA dual match championships..

I agree with you however it may only be a NCAA Chmp thing, so everyone can relax.
College women can do well against top WTA 200 players, and still their choice is to get the education (at least before this massacre). Just the Stanford girls playing the tour this summer have over 10 wins over top 200 WTA players. But they value college.
2nd_serve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2012, 04:58 AM   #38
country flag its_a_racquet
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 219
its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice
Re: Rule Changes All About Money - TV Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by USTennisfan View Post
Good thought and may just pan out...but. TV pays more for LIVE college sports... You know why? Because people don't already know the outcome...Too much twitter, instant messaging, Internet etc. Follow the other sports the NCAA are collecting TV revenue off of and they are Live!

Gosh you'd think college tennis is blowing the doors off the current attendance numbers if you follow all of us fanboys. But in reality the live crowds are terrible and the ticket revenue is minuscule in comparison to other sports. So I wish all of you make a real run and fill the stands in support of the current format and bring your friends because again someone is saying it isn't working the way it is now and the revenue stream is dry and that's the bottom line.
If you think college tennis wil translate to television ratings that break even.......well I just don't know what to say other than your comments are not very well thought out.....that much is clear!
its_a_racquet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2012, 02:25 PM   #39
country flag USTennisfan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 133
USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Rule Changes All About Money - TV Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by its_a_racquet View Post
If you think college tennis wil translate to television ratings that break even.......well I just don't know what to say other than your comments are not very well thought out.....that much is clear!
I've never said that. I think live TV Sport telecasting will bring in far far more money than anything that is currently being produced with the current fan and fanboy interest level.

I'm actually saying that with the same promotion that is given to the buildup of the other current sports that the NCAA sells its TV product to it can bring in huge dollars. And I'm only comparing to the non big boy football basketball sports , just the other sports.
USTennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2012, 02:39 PM   #40
country flag USTennisfan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 133
USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Rule Changes All About Money - TV Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd_serve View Post
The NCAA qualifies for the non-profit exemption because it claims to be "organized and operated exclusively for educational purposes."

The NCAA is willing to take a crap shoot with tennis with a maybe 5% chance of a payout, because they are making zero dollars from it now

If I read correctly what USTennisfan writes, these changes are not being organized and operated exclusively for educational purposes.
Bingo. but really yes and no.

You need to follow how other major sports are handled.... They claim the are thinking of the kids and the institutions educational goals but dollars drive the bus. They just use education as a framework to continue its legal status. The joke is everyone laughs at it's mission statement when TV waives the dollars around.

As far as a 5% chance of a payout. Given a 3 to 7 year TV contract it's going to be far more than that, which is why this is even being considered.
USTennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2012, 02:54 PM   #41
country flag USTennisfan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 133
USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Rule Changes All About Money - TV Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_masterton View Post
Yes but it's only in the past few years top juniors have started looking at college as a real option. That's new. I have no doubt that as the teenage phenomenon continues to be less likely the numbers will increase but it will be 3-5yrs before that happens. If the rules change for dual season, which it doesn't look like, then there is no alternative pathway for the 99.9% who aren't old enough to break through at 18.
Agreed. But the true college season is so short from January to late May, and those kids will continue to do what Gibbs, Will, , Cako and many others do and will keep playing high level ITF And WTA and the US Pro Cicuit in the summers and in some cases the fall.

It's the parents who push the school decision. They have been paying or traveling since age 10 and they see that they aren't ready to go pro at 17 and talk the child into college. Not to mention they want to close the checkbook even if it's just for a few years. A third set in the NCAAs or a 6 game vs 8 game dubs isn't going to stop that inertia in the parents eyes when compared to a Duke Stanford or for the average player any 4 year full ride.

We said the end was near with the 6 month rule change for deciding to go to school and yet everyone adapted and we moved on.

Maybe the same will be true again.
USTennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2012, 09:03 PM   #42
country flag its_a_racquet
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 219
its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice
Re: Rule Changes All About Money - TV Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by USTennisfan View Post
I've never said that. I think live TV Sport telecasting will bring in far far more money than anything that is currently being produced with the current fan and fanboy interest level.

I'm actually saying that with the same promotion that is given to the buildup of the other current sports that the NCAA sells its TV product to it can bring in huge dollars. And I'm only comparing to the non big boy football basketball sports , just the other sports.
I assumed you meant that. Why would anyone pursue TV they felt that
venture wouldn't break even........the result would be tennis even losing more money......
its_a_racquet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2012, 11:46 PM   #43
country flag spartyfan
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 22
spartyfan has disabled reputation
Re: Rule Changes All About Money - TV Money

Ask the WNBA says about TV guaranteeing success? NOT! The WNBA is bleeding money and has terrible ratings.

This pursuit of TV is a joke. There is no market but it seems as if they will damage the sport in a desperate attempt to be something it is not.

spartyfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2012, 01:57 AM   #44
country flag USTennisfan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 133
USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Rule Changes All About Money - TV Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartyfan View Post
Ask the WNBA says about TV guaranteeing success? NOT! The WNBA is bleeding money and has terrible ratings.

This pursuit of TV is a joke. There is no market but it seems as if they will damage the sport in a desperate attempt to be something it is not.

Let's see 7 of the highest paid women professional athletes play TENNIS, yes WTA. Not one is in the WNBA. Follow the money and you find endorsement dollars. How many women still playing basketball? Golf and Tennis are one and two in audience participation sports currently promoted.

I love everyone's opinions on the subject. Don't you think the networks look at that and make offers that match what they perceive to be the potential... But you'd think we have a bunch of communications majors on this forum. We are so quick to poo poo this without understanding they believe they will expand the sport and interest in it.

But hey again when budgets tighten and these schools have to make cuts in sports, I am sure all of us will send in checks to match the loss of revenue they expect to make. Because we are so so so sure it won't work. So funny!
USTennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2012, 03:25 AM   #45
country flag its_a_racquet
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 219
its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice
Re: Rule Changes All About Money - TV Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by USTennisfan View Post
Let's see 7 of the highest paid women professional athletes play TENNIS, yes WTA. Not one is in the WNBA. Follow the money and you find endorsement dollars. How many women still playing basketball? Golf and Tennis are one and two in audience participation sports currently promoted.

I love everyone's opinions on the subject. Don't you think the networks look at that and make offers that match what they perceive to be the potential... But you'd think we have a bunch of communications majors on this forum. We are so quick to poo poo this without understanding they believe they will expand the sport and interest in it.

But hey again when budgets tighten and these schools have to make cuts in sports, I am sure all of us will send in checks to match the loss of revenue they expect to make. Because we are so so so sure it won't work. So funny!
So to be more clear, you are suggesting that there are endorsement and television deals that will generate revenue to all DI schools (not just those participating in the year-end events) that exceed expenses of that endeavor?

You are saying to 'follow the money' and it will lead you to college tennis?

This isn't so much of a "Communications Major" analysis than general business and advertising....I think you are more than optimistic on that topic......and isn't this forum intended for any/all to offer opinions?
its_a_racquet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios