Remove the warm up time with the opponent before singles and doubles matches - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 16th, 2012, 12:20 AM   #1
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all
Remove the warm up time with the opponent before singles and doubles matches

One of the proposals is to remove the warm up time with the opponent before singles and doubles matches. This might be worth trying out, but it it seems dangerous to try it out for the first time in the National Championship tournament.

Some difficulties might be that:
  1. A lot of tennis is mental, and the warm gives the players a chance to work into hitting. Players will be especially nervous during a national championship, and no warm up with the opponent may lead to sloppy first games.
  2. Warmup with team members might not be enough if lightening or rain had pushed back the schedule. On the Saturday of a dual gender regional, some sites might not have enough close courts for the 2 pm and 5 pm matches.
  3. Some other reasons, which is why the experiment should not be tried first at in the National tournament draw.
2nd_serve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 16th, 2012, 03:03 AM   #2
country flag Tenniswish

Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice
Re: Remove the warm up time with the opponent before singles and doubles matches

Even more of a concern if the doubles is a shortened set to 6 instead of an 8 game proset.
Tenniswish is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2012, 05:28 PM   #3
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all
Re: Remove the warm up time with the opponent before singles and doubles matches

Its just weird not to warm up with the opponent. Plus possibility of injury. Takes away some of the mental game. Throws in uncertainty Etc. Plus too much tinkering with tradition in a sport where tradition matters.

What if alternatively, for all matches that are televised, the starting time of the match will be moved 12 minutes earlier. Instead of a 12 noon start, start the warm up at 11:48, so that actual play beings when television comes on at noon?
2nd_serve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2012, 06:11 PM   #4
country flag Tenniswish

Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice

As anyone who has ever played golf knows, that tee shot on the first hole is tough to hit. If golfers can manage to go from warming up on the driving range to hitting a first shot that matters after a few minute walk and a few minute wait, then tennis players should be able to do the same. PLUS, ON A GOOD DAY, GOLFERS ONLY COUNT 70 shots which means that first shot is a significant percentage of their day long effort. At least on the tennis court, you get to hit hundreds of balls in a match.

Note: I wouldn't have made the change to no warm-up, but I think players should be able to handle it.
Tenniswish is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2014, 09:47 AM   #5
country flag evelyncarter

evelyncarter is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for sharing the info. Be relaxed always, if you are more tensed then you cannot win anything in your life...
evelyncarter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote