Rule Changes - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 16th, 2012, 02:15 AM   #61
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all
Re: Rule Changes

What does this one do?

1) Recommendation. That the Championships/Sports Management Cabinet supports the addition of a minimum of six spring matches for selection into the singles championship and a minimum of five spring matches for selection into the doubles championship.
(2) Effective Date. September 1, 2012 (for 2013 championships).
(3) Rationale. In an effort to reward student-athletes who are playing singles and doubles in the spring, the Men‟s and Women‟s Tennis Committee seeks to set required spring contest minimums as many student-athletes were only playing in the fall. The minimum overall required matches for both singles and doubles remains the same (13 and 10, respectively).
(4) Estimated Budget Impact. None.
(5) Student-Athlete Impact. Student-athletes will be positively rewarded for late- season performance and the change forces them to play a competitive fall and spring season.
2nd_serve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 16th, 2012, 03:07 AM   #62
country flag CTSEMT

CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all

This whole thing is just bizarre. I think the way it was done may be even more outrageous than the changes themselves. It's like this committee got into the room and decided they needed to save the world, when all they really needed to do was sign their names and say see you next year. I sincerely hope for the sake of the future of college tennis that the outrage we're seeing from coaches, players, etc. is enough to get these reversed.

Good luck to the head coaches at Georgia Southern, Arizona, New Mexico, Southern, Yale, Gonzaga, Ball State and Virginia Tech. I think they're going to need it considering that they basically just told all current players and future recruits that they couldn't care less about their development, that it's a small price to pay to *maybe* *someday* be on TV.
CTSEMT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2012, 03:19 AM   #63
country flag ats_tennis

ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSEMT View Post
This whole thing is just bizarre. I think the way it was done may be even more outrageous than the changes themselves. It's like this committee got into the room and decided they needed to save the world, when all they really needed to do was sign their names and say see you next year. I sincerely hope for the sake of the future of college tennis that the outrage we're seeing from coaches, players, etc. is enough to get these reversed.

Good luck to the head coaches at Georgia Southern, Arizona, New Mexico, Southern, Yale, Gonzaga, Ball State and Virginia Tech. I think they're going to need it considering that they basically just told all current players and future recruits that they couldn't care less about their development, that it's a small price to pay to *maybe* *someday* be on TV.
I agree! It's sad: I've already heard of a couple of the younger "bubble players", who previously felt they could use college as a stepping-stone to the pro tour, say they are leaning towards pro tennis because of this change. It's hard to sell development when you only get 10 points to develop!
ats_tennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2012, 04:30 AM   #64
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10sE View Post
Actually Roland Thornqvist is one of the major backers, and that is because his team will be one of the ones on TV the most.
Some of the building response http://tenniskalamazoo.blogspot.com/...t-student.html
Old Aug 16th, 2012, 04:59 AM   #65
country flag fantic

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

it's surely a weird way to induce more spectators. I thought they might try this

I think FIVB also tried a vikini for the Indoor Volleyball, can't find the pic
"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
Nil admirari (never enthuse over things).
- Horace, Epistles
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2012, 06:02 PM   #66
country flag 2nd_serve

Parenting Aces Says that the singles matches will be played before the doubles matches. I had not seen this in the document.

When we are confronted by challenges, we have a choice: sit back and accept them (glass half empty approach) OR take action and attempt to turn them into something positive (glass half full approach). Concerning this week’s announcement by the NCAA that it is changing the format of the Division 1 year-end tennis tournament, I’m choosing to join several of the current, future, and recently-graduated players and take action.

In a nutshell, NCAA has decided that, during its year-end tourney, (1) players will have no on-court warmup; (2) the six singles matches will play first and will play a 10-point tiebreaker in lieu of a third set; (3) changeovers will last 60 seconds instead of the current 90; (4) if an overall winner isn’t determined via the singles matches, then – and only then – will the three doubles matches be played after a 5-minute break; and (5) doubles matches will be one 6-game set with a 7-point tiebreaker played at 6-all. These changes go into effect beginning September 1, 2012, for the 2013 Championships. To read the complete report from the July NCAA meeting, click here. The report includes a list of the committee members in attendance along with their university affiliation.

Hayley Carter, a high school senior who recently committed to play for UNC, emailed me the following: “Although I sincerely appreciate all the NCAA does for us in providing us with scholarships to play the sport we love, I do not agree with the new rules they have put in place. My plans are to use college tennis as a stepping-stone into professional tennis. Looking at the WTA success of former college players, such as Irina Falconi and more recently Mallory Burdette, I have no doubt that I can use the experience of college tennis to help me make it on the pro tour, but with the recent rule changes it will make it that much more difficult.”

Hayley goes on: “No matter if it results in a win or a loss, third sets are times when players give everything they have when they have no energy left, when they learn to fight and compete for every point no matter the adversity, and when, most importantly, they grow as a player. In my opinion, the change to a 10-point tiebreaker greatly diminishes all of the things that are learned through a hard-fought third set. Skill and hard work become more easily replaced with luck, when just a few points can have such a big impact on determining the outcome of a match.”

Hayley’s sentiments are echoed by many of her tennis compadres as evidenced by the number of members (over 2400 after less than one day) and posts on the *OFFICIAL* Against the changes to NCAA tennis Facebook group. These young players are outraged by the seemingly revenue-driven changes to the sport they have devoted over half their lives learning and mastering, all for the chance to play at the collegiate – and maybe professional – level. All the NCAA is doing is “dumbing down” our sport, eliminating the fitness factor for players, and making college tennis a less attractive option for our juniors.

Wise words from another collegiate player: “The bottom line is in tennis you are either going to have fans or you aren’t. Don’t keep using that excuse as a way to change the rules. Fans will stay whether the matches are two hours or ten hours. Those who aren’t fans don’t show up anyway. Tennis is one of the few sports that doesn’t have a clock involved and that is what makes it special. Do you think the matches between Nadal and Djokovic, Federer and Nadal would have been as inspiring if they played a 10 point breaker for the 5th set?”

I hope you’ll join me on Sunday’s radio show to discuss these changes and what, if anything, we tennis parents can do to convince NCAA to overturn them before any long-term damage is done to junior tennis in the U.S. My guests on Sunday’s show are Drake Bernstein, Assistant Women’s Tennis Coach at the University of Georgia, and Colette Lewis, tennis journalist and creator of ZooTennis.com. Please plan to tune in and call in (714-583-6853) so we can try to figure out the next step.
Old Aug 16th, 2012, 06:22 PM   #67
country flag fantic

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embittered View Post
Top hit on google for declension of qui: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Latin/L...which.2C_he.29 For some reason the dative is cui, presumably pronounced the same as the nominative qui.
link

Dog Latin is still Latin
"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old Aug 16th, 2012, 06:29 PM   #68
country flag iPatty

iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantic View Post
I am curious about that sentence. Does BETTER players really need MORE than 2 sets to feel their strokes and play their way into form?

Anyway for a rabid? college tennis fan like me, it's not an improvement. The beauty of dual play is that you can watch a lot of tennis matches at the same time. If one matches goes to 3rd, I can watch other matches at first then head to that 3rd set match knowing that I could watch some of it.
Now it's impossible

On the other hand, I AM curious about the effect; will it really effect the dual results? Will there really be more upsets? Maybe they can try out 1 season to verify it then revert in the next
Better players typically take more risks so the longer format helps their odds of getting into a groove and winning the match as they should. Whitney Kay actually said it very well when she said they might as well play rock, paper, scissors for the third set. A super breaker is a lot more about luck than actual skill.

I have had it work both ways in the past. In some matches I've felt like the better player and because of a few bad points in the tiebreaker I lost. At the same time, sometimes I'll just be scrambling against a superior player and benefit from their errors and win the match. I'm sure Amal and others in this forum who play/have played tennis at the junior and collegiate level can back me up on that.
Old Aug 16th, 2012, 06:45 PM   #69
country flag fantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPatty View Post
Better players typically take more risks so the longer format helps their odds of getting into a groove and winning the match as they should. Whitney Kay actually said it very well when she said they might as well play rock, paper, scissors for the third set. A super breaker is a lot more about luck than actual skill.

I have had it work both ways in the past. In some matches I've felt like the better player and because of a few bad points in the tiebreaker I lost. At the same time, sometimes I'll just be scrambling against a superior player and benefit from their errors and win the match. I'm sure Amal and others in this forum who play/have played tennis at the junior and collegiate level can back me up on that.
Can you elucidate on those terms?

And, doesn't the 'better' player usually win the tiebreakers anyway? (7 or 10) I don't think it's a lot more about luck than actual skill..

I still dunno why a good player needs necessarily more than 2 sets to find their form..is it comparable to Fed, Djokovic, and Nadal having definite advantages against other players in 5 sets format?

Are we digressing?
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old Aug 16th, 2012, 07:37 PM   #70
country flag Embittered

Embittered has disabled reputation

Lisa Raymond
.@sarahborwell 100% opposed!! College tennis is about playing with passion for your team, not TV. Let's not turn it into an exhibition!!
Embittered is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2012, 07:41 PM   #71
country flag Embittered

Embittered has disabled reputation

Less exalted.

Samantha Vickers

cant believe this rubbish about supertiebreak in 3rd set and doubles to 6! wow NCAA you really know how to put people off! #collegetennis

https://twitter.com/Svicks91/status/236085289624428544
Embittered is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2012, 08:14 PM   #72
country flag fantic

Quote:
Can you elucidate on those terms?

And, doesn't the 'better' player usually win the tiebreakers anyway? (7 or 10) I don't think it's a lot more about luck than actual skill..

I still dunno why a good player needs necessarily more than 2 sets to find their form..is it comparable to Fed, Djokovic, and Nadal having definite advantages against other players in 5 sets format?

Are we digressing?
Let me elaborate on this; it's true shorter pts might favor lesser players better, they really might have a better chance of upset, just look at the incessant rule changes of Archery to stop Koreans from dominating

But Korea STILL dominated in London; why? because they're still better

I think in tiebreakers, not only luck, but sound technique, concentration, and mental fortitude(not choking..basically the same as concentration?) could be even more decisive..and typically, better players should display all those merits.
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old Aug 16th, 2012, 09:05 PM   #73
country flag 3gtennis

3gtennis is an unknown quantity at this point

Dumbing down tennis is the correct term. Playing singles first robs each match of the most high energy, exciting part of college tennis and playing a set only for doubles is stupid. Women's tennis already tried the singles first format and it was a vastly inferior product!
3gtennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2012, 09:24 PM   #74
country flag cowsonice

cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future

Quote:
Let me elaborate on this; it's true shorter pts might favor lesser players better, they really might have a better chance of upset, just look at the incessant rule changes of Archery to stop Koreans from dominating

But Korea STILL dominated in London; why? because they're still better

I think in tiebreakers, not only luck, but sound technique, concentration, and mental fortitude(not choking..basically the same as concentration?) could be even more decisive..and typically, better players should display all those merits.
Well, why don't we play supertiebreakers at WTA tournaments then? The same logic applies there.

Supertiebreakers should be reserved to the utter n00bs (like me) who like to play tournaments here and there. I feel bad for NCAA players who have to face the same rules that satellite-level players have.

Faves: Sharapova, Hantuchova, Safarova, Goerges
GO BEARS!
cowsonice is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2012, 10:15 PM   #75
country flag fantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowsonice View Post
Well, why don't we play supertiebreakers at WTA tournaments then? The same logic applies there.

Supertiebreakers should be reserved to the utter n00bs (like me) who like to play tournaments here and there. I feel bad for NCAA players who have to face the same rules that satellite-level players have.
I'm not lauding the change of format(of course it's terrible, I already complained from a venue-visiting fan's point of view), just wanted to comment on the change of rule's actual effect on the match outcomes.

Regardless of format, the better player will prevail(it's not like they're only playing 1 set ) , as it should be.
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles