Rule Changes - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 15th, 2012, 08:52 PM   #46
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all
Re: Rule Changes

Joanna Mather ‏@JoMather1
Thank God I got out of college tennis before these changes
2nd_serve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 15th, 2012, 08:56 PM   #47
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all

Megan Rose ‏@MrsMeganRose
Is the NCAA serious with these format changes to dual matches? Can someone tell me who was on this committee??

Megan Rose ‏@MrsMeganRose
Why not make decisions that are in the best interest of the SAs and not the spectators and NCAA? These kids sacrifice everything for this.
Old Aug 15th, 2012, 08:57 PM   #48
country flag 2nd_serve

@ShankTennis: Completely insane decision. Colleges will surely have a much tougher time selling themselves to aspiring tennis talents now
Old Aug 15th, 2012, 08:58 PM   #49
country flag 2nd_serve

Lauren Embree ‏@lembree888
This new college system is a joke
Old Aug 15th, 2012, 08:59 PM   #50
country flag 2nd_serve

Nicole Gibbs ‏@Gibbsyyyy
If I took myself seriously I would not play college tennis after this format change. Absolutely unbelievable.
Old Aug 15th, 2012, 09:01 PM   #51
country flag 2nd_serve

Colette Lewis ‏@zootennis
RT @danmccain1: The ITA & the USTA each need someone to stand up & say that college tennis will suffer if this concept is implemented.
Old Aug 15th, 2012, 09:11 PM   #52
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPatty View Post
But fantic you should also look at it from the stance that in a full third set, the "better" player has more time to feel their strokes and play their way into form. In a 10 point breaker, if you get off to a slow start then it's very tough to come back. Also a lesser player can tree or hit a few lucky shots and all of a sudden they're up 6-3 in a breaker to 10.
I am curious about that sentence. Does BETTER players really need MORE than 2 sets to feel their strokes and play their way into form?

Anyway for a rabid? college tennis fan like me, it's not an improvement. The beauty of dual play is that you can watch a lot of tennis matches at the same time. If one matches goes to 3rd, I can watch other matches at first then head to that 3rd set match knowing that I could watch some of it.
Now it's impossible

On the other hand, I AM curious about the effect; will it really effect the dual results? Will there really be more upsets? Maybe they can try out 1 season to verify it then revert in the next

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson

Last edited by fantic : Aug 15th, 2012 at 09:17 PM.
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2012, 09:14 PM   #53
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowsonice View Post
Drawing in more spectators this way?

As much it is exciting in a supertiebreak, think of the "She could've won had this gone to a 3rd set" kinds of comments. I think a 3rd set is equally exciting.

I don't understand it. Tennis is at a great position now, even in college tennis. Look, we have thriving websites and forums and blogs just dedicated to college tennis. It's never going to expand to the likes of football or basketball just because of the rules of the game.

While it may benefit certain players over others, I think that would lead to a homogenization of games. Coaches would then recruit players who have good serves, are aggressive, etc. And that would actually kill interest in tennis, imo.
exactly my thought, hence my remark 'adv. Stanford'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embittered View Post
I thought you studied Latin.
but 'qui' is a latin word? you mean I should have written cui? is that Italian? Actually that phrase was a favorite quote of a Politics Professor whose lecture I had attended ..maybe he was wrong?

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
Old Aug 15th, 2012, 09:30 PM   #54
country flag Hal Incandenza

Hal Incandenza is an unknown quantity at this point

I am so sad for all these student athletes who deserve better than to be sold out to some imagined future popularity increase. Is the casual sports fan honestly going to start watching now that matches are only 3 hours instead of 4? Tennis fans will watch no matter the length and causal fans will not be enticed. I feel so sorry for these kids. So sad for my own kids. I don't think Coach Diaz was exaggerating when he called this the death of college tennis. Can it be reversed under the strain of the backlash? At some point, just like the failed no-ad experiment, I believe it will be reversed but at what cost to the depth of college tennis for years to come? Kids on the bubble will opt out of college. My own kids, who are in the bubble, will play a watered down and rushed version of junior tennis. Who benefits from this?
Hal Incandenza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2012, 10:12 PM   #55
country flag Embittered

Embittered has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantic View Post
but 'qui' is a latin word? you mean I should have written cui? is that Italian? Actually that phrase was a favorite quote of a Politics Professor whose lecture I had attended ..maybe he was wrong?
Top hit on google for declension of qui: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Latin/L...which.2C_he.29 For some reason the dative is cui, presumably pronounced the same as the nominative qui.
Embittered is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2012, 10:15 PM   #56
country flag tie_breaker

tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold

As McEnroe would say, "you got to be kidding me...what the !@#$%^& were they thinking?"
I mean seriously, was careful consideration of the SA's perspective and needs. I can see alot of players bypass the college route and go straight to the pro's, so who will be attending these tennis matches, once that happens??? This will dilute the quality of tennis players playing at the collegiate level. Forget about who it benefits now...these players won't find that the format will benefit their transition to the pro's, unless they have no expecations to play beyond college. From a fan perspective, sitting in the crowds wondering who is going to be the next pro, would no longer happen. This rule change would definitely be a step back. No foresight at all. So disappointing to hear if this should ever happen.
If the NCAA committee wants to cater to the frat boys, then let them be ball boys that would certainly shorten the game.
I mean seriously...sometimes I am spending most of my time watching the players chase down balls on the court than I see actual tennis being played
I am sure that teams can get volunteer ball boys/girls. Next step is to convert the atmosphere to more of a Davis Cup or Olympics like match. This will not only enhance the match but it will get the girls more prepared when they play overseas.
My next idea is to bring in the band and cheerleaders to liven up the matches like a football game...after all, if we're going to go stupid, we might as well go all the way!
tie_breaker is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2012, 10:42 PM   #57
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie_breaker View Post
As McEnroe would say, "you got to be kidding me...what the !@#$%^& were they thinking?"
I mean seriously, was careful consideration of the SA's perspective and needs. I can see alot of players bypass the college route and go straight to the pro's, so who will be attending these tennis matches, once that happens??? This will dilute the quality of tennis players playing at the collegiate level. Forget about who it benefits now...these players won't find that the format will benefit their transition to the pro's, unless they have no expecations to play beyond college. From a fan perspective, sitting in the crowds wondering who is going to be the next pro, would no longer happen. This rule change would definitely be a step back. No foresight at all. So disappointing to hear if this should ever happen.
If the NCAA committee wants to cater to the frat boys, then let them be ball boys that would certainly shorten the game.
I mean seriously...sometimes I am spending most of my time watching the players chase down balls on the court than I see actual tennis being played
I am sure that teams can get volunteer ball boys/girls. Next step is to convert the atmosphere to more of a Davis Cup or Olympics like match. This will not only enhance the match but it will get the girls more prepared when they play overseas.
My next idea is to bring in the band and cheerleaders to liven up the matches like a football game...after all, if we're going to go stupid, we might as well go all the way!
already been done at USC, UCLA, and STAN too

dunno what the change is related to frat boys though

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Aug 15th, 2012, 10:58 PM   #58
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embittered View Post
Top hit on google for declension of qui: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Latin/L...which.2C_he.29 For some reason the dative is cui, presumably pronounced the same as the nominative qui.
Yes, if it's dative you're right, also fits with the form bono ; 'to whom it is beneficial'

but my professor interpreted it as 'who benefits'..I'm grasping at straws...did he really write qui or cui then?

I guess it's cui bono then

I thought it might be Italian, maybe from Pareto or Gramsci The internet says that it's from Cassius(quoted by Cicero), so Latin it is.

P.S. I just found a hit after Googling;

Go to
theroadtoemmaus.org/RdLb/21PbAr/Pl/9-11TwinTwrsFall.htm They perhaps filtered down in the 1930's into the Antonio Gramsci plots to .... God will turn the "qui bono" to His own ends -- love of God and love of neighbor.

And this;
Truth course - Huben's Wiki
huben.us/wiki/Truth_courseMay 15, 2012 – to find qui bono; to suspect propaganda; Adam Smith and pareto economics. ethics. Prisoner's dilemma comic as a start: show how golden rule ...

again, grasping at straws

- Woodrow Wilson

Last edited by fantic : Aug 15th, 2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old Aug 15th, 2012, 11:18 PM   #59
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

http://www.facebook.com/groups/400386836676614/

some players set up a facebook page. Already 1169 members and counting, and some aren't even college players

- Woodrow Wilson

Last edited by fantic : Aug 15th, 2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old Aug 15th, 2012, 11:53 PM   #60
country flag 3gtennis

3gtennis is an unknown quantity at this point

As they said on that famous Huntsville,Alabama bedroom intruder youtube video: "You are so dumb, you are really dumb"! Antoine also said, "hide your wife, hide your kids, hide your husband". Obviously, he might have meant from the NCAA and the not yet named ITA participants. Six game set for doubles? REDIC!!!
3gtennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote