PSY - Gangnam Style (South Korean smash single) - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 15th, 2012, 04:20 AM   #46
country flag Slammer7
Hoping for less D'oh and more woohoo!

Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: PSY - Gangnam Style (South Korean smash single)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperfect Angel View Post
Opa Gangnam Style

Beat me to it!
Isn't Mary Carillo a dried up, bitter, menopausal, frustrated harpy.....?
Slammer7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 15th, 2012, 04:25 AM   #47
country flag northern lad

northern lad has a reputation beyond repute northern lad has a reputation beyond repute northern lad has a reputation beyond repute northern lad has a reputation beyond repute northern lad has a reputation beyond repute northern lad has a reputation beyond repute northern lad has a reputation beyond repute northern lad has a reputation beyond repute northern lad has a reputation beyond repute northern lad has a reputation beyond repute northern lad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilliams View Post
Yeah, I worked in a hagwon in Yeongtong in Suwon for a year and a half, went travelling for a while, went home for a few months and then moved to Cheongdam in Seoul (near Apgujeong) for 2 years. So I spent 3.5 years there over a 4 year period. Living in Cheongdam was great, so much of Seoul is so accessible and it's a great area in itself. I worked in a hagwon there too - ECC. My branch closed down in June though. Guess they couldn't survive without me I miss my students a lot I miss Korea a lot too but I don't think I could go back again. Some of my friend have been there a long time or will have been there a long time before they leave.

Wolmido is quite nice. Have you been to Muui-do? I never went there myself but it's a popular convenient summer getaway for people in the Seoul/Incheon area? You have my sympathies for having to deal with line 1, btw!! It's fine in central Seoul but once you get out onto the prongs, it's so annoying. A good friend of mine used to like in Doksan, near Guro.
Ahh, I'm doing public school elementary. I think I'd enjoy teaching in a hagwon more than public school, but I prefer my schedule/vacation time in public. I don't think I could handle more than 2 years here, though. I don't really enjoy "teaching." I'm a human tape recorder/game jockey. The hardest part of my job is dealing with my co-teachers.

I really haven't gotten around outside of Incheon/Seoul yet... not even sure what Muii-do is. Went to Mokpo and Jeju for my summer vacation, but outside of that... I had a class trip to Ganghwa island? And I don't mind Line 1 because Dongincheon is on the rapid line. 10 minutes to get to Bupyeong, 45 minutes to Yongsan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis Fool View Post
KWilliams/Northern Lad: What are you doing in Korea? Teaching English?
Yessuh.
northern lad is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2012, 11:39 AM   #48
country flag kwilliams

kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by northern lad View Post
Ahh, I'm doing public school elementary. I think I'd enjoy teaching in a hagwon more than public school, but I prefer my schedule/vacation time in public. I don't think I could handle more than 2 years here, though. I don't really enjoy "teaching." I'm a human tape recorder/game jockey. The hardest part of my job is dealing with my co-teachers.

I really haven't gotten around outside of Incheon/Seoul yet... not even sure what Muii-do is. Went to Mokpo and Jeju for my summer vacation, but outside of that... I had a class trip to Ganghwa island? And I don't mind Line 1 because Dongincheon is on the rapid line. 10 minutes to get to Bupyeong, 45 minutes to Yongsan.

Yessuh.
Yeah, I was in hagwons all the way. While I was in Suwon all of my friends were hagwon teachers but my boyfriend took a public school job when we moved to Seoul so then most of my friends there were public school teachers. Their hours and holidays are sooo much better. My hagwon in Seoul was one of "those" hagwons. You'd tell people you worked there and they'd be like, "Oh, sorry." Korean and foreign staff were not allowed to socialize or even interact much in the workplace. The office was even segregated. We sat facing the window with our backs to everyone!! I even heard one of the Korean teachers was assaulted by the VP not long after I left. They used a lot of intimidation tactics. They didn't mess much with me and I just kept my head down and didn't make a fuss so I was fine most of the time. My hagwon in Seoul was much better but other staff members did have some problems and the situation did deteriorate as business got worse and worse. I remained relatively unscathed the whole way through and the environment was much more open. At least my Korean co-workers didn't have to hide our friendship and you felt you could express your ideas, even if they'd only be accepted to an extent. My kids were angel-genius hybrids though. They totally made the bad hours worthwhile. One of my kindergarteners didn't even like speaking Korean!! One of my 3rd graders explained Eintein's theory of relativity to me in English in the first class I had with him (it was a nutshell explanation, but still!!) I could go on and on about them...but I won't. Needless to say I worshipped them and they worshipped me too.

I suppose most public school teachers don't have that because the classes aren't streamed and some kids don't go to a hagwon but some teachers luck out if they are placed in a specialized school or a school in a wealthy area. Then they get the best of both worlds. One of my friends was a high school teacher in Onsu. She had two big apartments. TWO! Her kids were very smart, well-behaved and driven and she could not have had more time off. She probably got double what the average public school teacher gets.

In what way are your co-teachers difficult to deal with? The main problem my friends encountered in public school was ALWAYS being told about things at the last minute, never being in the loop and people sometimes expecting them to know things they hadn't been told even though it was obvious they were NEVER told anything

Ever seen these vids? I love how she always calls the teachers "foreigner"

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OKfFooy0QTY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

There's also a REALLY good Hitler video - his vacation plans are ruined by the principal changing the dates at the last minute or something.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ljur6v7-yoc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://flickr.com/photos/keithmaguire/
kwilliams is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 09:28 AM   #49
country flag northern lad

northern lad has a reputation beyond repute northern lad has a reputation beyond repute northern lad has a reputation beyond repute northern lad has a reputation beyond repute northern lad has a reputation beyond repute northern lad has a reputation beyond repute northern lad has a reputation beyond repute northern lad has a reputation beyond repute northern lad has a reputation beyond repute northern lad has a reputation beyond repute northern lad has a reputation beyond repute

My school is in a really low income area, so I think only a handful go to hagwon. I have friends that live in wealthier areas who have students fluent in English. I... do not. The difficult part of my co-teachers is, like you said, finding everything out at the last second, but it's also having to maintain a positive relationship with them overall. If they make a mistake in the middle of class, you cannot ever correct them in front of the students, because that would make them look bad. The other day my co-teacher was teaching the phrase "Can you join us?" So, "I'm doing my homework, can you join us?" "I'm eating pizza, can you join us?" "Okay class, now repeat after Christianteacher!" So, I had to say "Can you join us" instead of "Can you join me" just so I don't make her look like an ass. Keeping up appearances is priority number one, the kids' education comes second.

Another fun one was, my first semester I taught with a co-teacher who spoke no English... but she was an English teacher. She didn't trust me to do anything in class other than "Listen and repeat." So, you know, English class is being conducted in full Korean.

I'm pretty sure socialization is encouraged among teachers at my school. They get a kick out of me and tell me they love me and want to be chingus at teacher dinners after enough soju. But then the next day at school they won't say a word to me. It's sojuconfidence.

Vids aren't working, but I think I've seen the first one just based on your description.
northern lad is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 09:43 AM   #50
country flag Shaun:::

Shaun::: has much to be proud of Shaun::: has much to be proud of Shaun::: has much to be proud of Shaun::: has much to be proud of Shaun::: has much to be proud of Shaun::: has much to be proud of Shaun::: has much to be proud of Shaun::: has much to be proud of Shaun::: has much to be proud of Shaun::: has much to be proud of Shaun::: has much to be proud of

dun like this song and its dance
it looks stupid

Date-Peng-Dokic-Dani
Davydenko-Ancic

Görges-Brands-Haas
Shaun::: is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 11:36 AM   #51
country flag kwilliams

kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by northern lad View Post
My school is in a really low income area, so I think only a handful go to hagwon. I have friends that live in wealthier areas who have students fluent in English. I... do not. The difficult part of my co-teachers is, like you said, finding everything out at the last second, but it's also having to maintain a positive relationship with them overall. If they make a mistake in the middle of class, you cannot ever correct them in front of the students, because that would make them look bad. The other day my co-teacher was teaching the phrase "Can you join us?" So, "I'm doing my homework, can you join us?" "I'm eating pizza, can you join us?" "Okay class, now repeat after Christianteacher!" So, I had to say "Can you join us" instead of "Can you join me" just so I don't make her look like an ass. Keeping up appearances is priority number one, the kids' education comes second.

Another fun one was, my first semester I taught with a co-teacher who spoke no English... but she was an English teacher. She didn't trust me to do anything in class other than "Listen and repeat." So, you know, English class is being conducted in full Korean.

I'm pretty sure socialization is encouraged among teachers at my school. They get a kick out of me and tell me they love me and want to be chingus at teacher dinners after enough soju. But then the next day at school they won't say a word to me. It's sojuconfidence.

Vids aren't working, but I think I've seen the first one just based on your description.
Sounds like the typical problems I heard about when I was living in Seoul. It's so stupid that any teacher can be assigned to teach English! The government wants to phase out foreigners but they need to tackle this problem before they get rid of the foreigners. I'm sure there wouldn't be enough English teachers if everyone was given a choice but there are some teachers severely lacking in training, experience and practice. It wouldn't be such a bad idea to create a separate teacher training program for Korean English teachers because there are plenty of hagwon teachers who would like to work in a public school but don't want to go through the long and difficult process of passing that qualification test. Then all the students' teachers would actually speak English!

My kids were too young to realise how lucky/rich they were. We'd go on field trips and there'd be other groups from regular kindergartens and my kids would try to talk to them. Then they'd come running back to me asking why the other kids didn't speak English! They never really got my explanation of how some kids couldn't or didn't want to go to a specialized hagwon.

http://flickr.com/photos/keithmaguire/
kwilliams is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 03:48 AM   #52
Tezuka.

Tezuka. has a reputation beyond repute Tezuka. has a reputation beyond repute Tezuka. has a reputation beyond repute Tezuka. has a reputation beyond repute Tezuka. has a reputation beyond repute Tezuka. has a reputation beyond repute Tezuka. has a reputation beyond repute Tezuka. has a reputation beyond repute Tezuka. has a reputation beyond repute Tezuka. has a reputation beyond repute Tezuka. has a reputation beyond repute

I like it!
Forever Chakvetadze
Tezuka. is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 03:51 AM   #53
country flag iGOAT

iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute

"Gangnam Style" is great! I hope it becomes the next "Call Me Maybe" .

I hope "Bubble Pop" will be the next K-Pop song to break through in the west .

ATP: Novak Djoković

Crazy Frenches! Gilles Simon | Alizé Cornet
iGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 03:53 AM   #54
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute

This is either a perfect pop/rap video, or a perfect parody of a pop/rap video. English pop radio in the States lays this, and they can NOT have any idea what he's saying, or why.

Yeah, it's the 'Macarena', but what-goes-viral does reveal the character of a culture.
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 04:25 AM   #55
Tezuka.

Tezuka. has a reputation beyond repute Tezuka. has a reputation beyond repute Tezuka. has a reputation beyond repute Tezuka. has a reputation beyond repute Tezuka. has a reputation beyond repute Tezuka. has a reputation beyond repute Tezuka. has a reputation beyond repute Tezuka. has a reputation beyond repute Tezuka. has a reputation beyond repute Tezuka. has a reputation beyond repute Tezuka. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSzávay View Post
"Gangnam Style" is great! I hope it becomes the next "Call Me Maybe" .

I hope "Bubble Pop" will be the next K-Pop song to break through in the west .
Gangnam Style is way better than that shit song.
Forever Chakvetadze
Tezuka. is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 01:11 AM   #56
edificio

edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcana View Post
This is either a perfect pop/rap video, or a perfect parody of a pop/rap video. English pop radio in the States lays this, and they can NOT have any idea what he's saying, or why.

Yeah, it's the 'Macarena', but what-goes-viral does reveal the character of a culture.
Spot on. Though they made it too long and repetitive.

I really hate the styling in it, too. Okay, the dancing too.
edificio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 06:03 AM   #57
country flag Julian.
Keep calm and be gay.

Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute

• Maria Sharapova • Dominika Cibulkova • Ksenia Pervak • Eugenie Bouchard •
• Andy Roddick • Mikhail Youzhny • Grigor Dimitrov • Novak Djokovic • Benoit Paire •
tumblr.graphics thread
Julian. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 12:21 PM   #58
country flag Ferg

Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by edificio View Post
Spot on. Though they made it too long and repetitive.

I really hate the styling in it, too. Okay, the dancing too.
Dress classy, dance cheesy..
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 09:43 PM   #59
country flag Sammo

Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute

Oppa Batman Style

R.I.P. Bally
Sammo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 10:32 PM   #60
country flag Mary Cherry.

Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammo View Post
Oppa Batman Style

Mary Cherry. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote