PSY - Gangnam Style (South Korean smash single) - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 10th, 2012, 09:35 PM   #31
country flag kwilliams

kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute
Re: PSY - Gangnam Style (South Korean smash single)

Korea is a terrible place when it comes to "good looks" and "appearances sake."

I had quite a few instances of this in work - I believe in each case it worked in my favour but it's very annoying to know what is prioritised in the Korean workplace.

I also lived in a very wealthy part of Seoul, Cheongdam. There are lots of cosmetic surgeons in this area and the surrounding areas and people actually walk around with bandages and surgical tape fresh from the surgery. They'll have scars, swelling, bruising and puffiness and they'll make little or no attempt to hide it. I've even seen people with marks from a surgeon's pen on their faces as they walk around. Plastic surgery is a status symbol there!

http://flickr.com/photos/keithmaguire/
kwilliams is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 10th, 2012, 09:58 PM   #32
country flag rrfnpump

rrfnpump has a reputation beyond repute rrfnpump has a reputation beyond repute rrfnpump has a reputation beyond repute rrfnpump has a reputation beyond repute rrfnpump has a reputation beyond repute rrfnpump has a reputation beyond repute rrfnpump has a reputation beyond repute rrfnpump has a reputation beyond repute rrfnpump has a reputation beyond repute rrfnpump has a reputation beyond repute rrfnpump has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyDuck View Post
If Seohyun, who you mentioned, is faking her personality I'll lose faith in humanity. she's the most innocent excentric woman ever.
Just don't think about it too much. What I find most interesting about Seohyun is how her voice changed during the times. At first, it was kind of girly and cute and now it is deep and women-like. In fact, hearing her live, she has a pretty weak voice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilliams View Post
Korea is a terrible place when it comes to "good looks" and "appearances sake."

I had quite a few instances of this in work - I believe in each case it worked in my favour but it's very annoying to know what is prioritised in the Korean workplace.
I agree. Korea is incredibly focused on looks only. Dating a Korean for some time, I was sometimes shocked about his opinions and his plan to undergo cosmetic surgery to make a second eye-line even though he was just fine.

And being a white guy in Asia is certainly no disadvantage.
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 10:23 PM   #33
country flag hdfb

hdfb has a reputation beyond repute hdfb has a reputation beyond repute hdfb has a reputation beyond repute hdfb has a reputation beyond repute hdfb has a reputation beyond repute hdfb has a reputation beyond repute hdfb has a reputation beyond repute hdfb has a reputation beyond repute hdfb has a reputation beyond repute hdfb has a reputation beyond repute hdfb has a reputation beyond repute

Funnily enough the first time I heard this song was two days ago via this YouTube video... I thought the mother and son dancing were playing some video game... thats how repetitive the song is!

Old Sep 10th, 2012, 10:34 PM   #34
country flag kwilliams

kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrfnpump View Post
Just don't think about it too much. What I find most interesting about Seohyun is how her voice changed during the times. At first, it was kind of girly and cute and now it is deep and women-like. In fact, hearing her live, she has a pretty weak voice.

I agree. Korea is incredibly focused on looks only. Dating a Korean for some time, I was sometimes shocked about his opinions and his plan to undergo cosmetic surgery to make a second eye-line even though he was just fine.

And being a white guy in Asia is certainly no disadvantage.
Yeah, the double eyelid thing is weird. I can't even see the difference unless I'm looking at before and after shots and even then it's kind of hard to notice sometimes. Even some of my Korean American friends swear that it makes a difference though. I don't know if it's better to want that or something more drastic.

Yeah, being white in Asia practically makes you the cream of the crop. It's kind of sickening to see knockouts with dirty, scruffbag-looking guys though!

Old Sep 11th, 2012, 02:32 AM   #35
country flag northern lad

northern lad has a reputation beyond repute northern lad has a reputation beyond repute northern lad has a reputation beyond repute northern lad has a reputation beyond repute northern lad has a reputation beyond repute northern lad has a reputation beyond repute northern lad has a reputation beyond repute northern lad has a reputation beyond repute northern lad has a reputation beyond repute northern lad has a reputation beyond repute northern lad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well, at least some of it was filmed in Gangnam-gu. What part of Incheon do you live in? A friend of mine works at Inha...one of the Inha's. There's two distinct parts that are adjacent to each other, I think. She lives in Hongdae though and commutes to Incheon.
Inha, the hospital/university? I know that Inha a little too well... I've been in Korea since April and I've been in that hospital at least 5 times. I live in Dongincheon, or what I like to call, The Dong. Hongdae to Inha isn't a bad commute really. Takes me 45 minutes from where I live.
northern lad is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 02:35 AM   #36

northern lad has a reputation beyond repute northern lad has a reputation beyond repute northern lad has a reputation beyond repute northern lad has a reputation beyond repute northern lad has a reputation beyond repute northern lad has a reputation beyond repute northern lad has a reputation beyond repute northern lad has a reputation beyond repute northern lad has a reputation beyond repute northern lad has a reputation beyond repute northern lad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah, being white in Asia practically makes you the cream of the crop. It's kind of sickening to see knockouts with dirty, scruffbag-looking guys though!
This drives my lady friends crazy. WHY IS SHE WITH THAT SCUMBAG LOSER? SHE CAN DO BETTER!
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 11:35 PM   #37
country flag kwilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by northern lad View Post
Inha, the hospital/university? I know that Inha a little too well... I've been in Korea since April and I've been in that hospital at least 5 times. I live in Dongincheon, or what I like to call, The Dong. Hongdae to Inha isn't a bad commute really. Takes me 45 minutes from where I live.
Oh, I can't remember. She was about to start the job as I was leaving. Yeah, she has pretty good hours too, which makes the commute easier for her and her apt in Hongdae is right by the station. I think she can take the AREX line, not sure. That was only finished shortly before I left so I only took it the morning that I was leaving! It's funny that you got there in April. I spent 3.5 years there over a four year period and I left on April 1st! So, if you live in Dongincheon, are you close to Wolmido or China Town?

Actually, a Korean friend of mine here in Dublin goes to the other Inha, the one my friend doesn't teach at so I have a couple of connections to Inha. She's studying to become a dietician. Maybe that's associated with the hosp.

Old Sep 14th, 2012, 08:06 AM   #38

Quote:
Oh, I can't remember. She was about to start the job as I was leaving. Yeah, she has pretty good hours too, which makes the commute easier for her and her apt in Hongdae is right by the station. I think she can take the AREX line, not sure. That was only finished shortly before I left so I only took it the morning that I was leaving! It's funny that you got there in April. I spent 3.5 years there over a four year period and I left on April 1st! So, if you live in Dongincheon, are you close to Wolmido or China Town?

Actually, a Korean friend of mine here in Dublin goes to the other Inha, the one my friend doesn't teach at so I have a couple of connections to Inha. She's studying to become a dietician. Maybe that's associated with the hosp.
AREX line is great if you live on the Incheon Subway 1 line. I'm on Seoul line 1, so I have to transfer at Bupyeong to get up to Gyeyang and catch the AREX... not worth the hassle. But yeah, I got here at the very end of April and my orientation was essentially in Chinatown. It's probably a ten minute walk from my apartment. I just have to walk through Jayu Park and I'm there. My school is basically in the park. Wolmido is close too, but I haven't checked it out yet.

Did you work public school or hagwon while you were here? (Assuming you were teaching ESL...)
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 08:20 PM   #39
country flag kwilliams

Yeah, I worked in a hagwon in Yeongtong in Suwon for a year and a half, went travelling for a while, went home for a few months and then moved to Cheongdam in Seoul (near Apgujeong) for 2 years. So I spent 3.5 years there over a 4 year period. Living in Cheongdam was great, so much of Seoul is so accessible and it's a great area in itself. I worked in a hagwon there too - ECC. My branch closed down in June though. Guess they couldn't survive without me I miss my students a lot I miss Korea a lot too but I don't think I could go back again. Some of my friend have been there a long time or will have been there a long time before they leave.

Wolmido is quite nice. Have you been to Muui-do? I never went there myself but it's a popular convenient summer getaway for people in the Seoul/Incheon area? You have my sympathies for having to deal with line 1, btw!! It's fine in central Seoul but once you get out onto the prongs, it's so annoying. A good friend of mine used to like in Doksan, near Guro.

Old Sep 14th, 2012, 08:37 PM   #40
Tennis Fool

Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute

KWilliams/Northern Lad: What are you doing in Korea? Teaching English?
Putintseva #1 player

MakarovaLisickiBarthelBeckTwinPliskovasSmitkovaPervakGavrilovaTownsendAllertovaAbandaPuchkova
Tennis Fool is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 09:40 PM   #41
country flag Ferg

Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute

Adore this so much. I was in Edinburgh at the weekend, it was played in a nightclub there, and twice in one night at one in Ireland when I came back
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 10:22 PM   #42
country flag New_balls_please

New_balls_please has a reputation beyond repute New_balls_please has a reputation beyond repute New_balls_please has a reputation beyond repute New_balls_please has a reputation beyond repute New_balls_please has a reputation beyond repute New_balls_please has a reputation beyond repute New_balls_please has a reputation beyond repute New_balls_please has a reputation beyond repute New_balls_please has a reputation beyond repute New_balls_please has a reputation beyond repute New_balls_please has a reputation beyond repute

#2 on iTunes (US)
Old Sep 15th, 2012, 03:46 AM   #43
country flag Zhao

Zhao has a reputation beyond repute Zhao has a reputation beyond repute Zhao has a reputation beyond repute Zhao has a reputation beyond repute Zhao has a reputation beyond repute Zhao has a reputation beyond repute Zhao has a reputation beyond repute Zhao has a reputation beyond repute Zhao has a reputation beyond repute Zhao has a reputation beyond repute Zhao has a reputation beyond repute

It is #1 on itunes now...omg
Zhao is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2012, 03:57 AM   #44
ElusiveChanteuse

ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute

Opa Gangnam Style

ElusiveChanteuse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2012, 04:04 AM   #45
country flag Julian.
Keep calm and be gay.

Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute

The music people are listening nowadays

• Maria Sharapova • Dominika Cibulkova • Ksenia Pervak • Eugenie Bouchard •
• Andy Roddick • Mikhail Youzhny • Grigor Dimitrov • Novak Djokovic • Benoit Paire •
tumblr. • graphics thread •
Julian. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote