Sabatini critics unfair - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 10:26 PM   #1
player2

player2 is an unknown quantity at this point player2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sabatini critics unfair

Perhaps people should be reminded that Sabatini
was speaking a 2nd language!!! I don't recall ANY
American women players EVER conducting an interview
in a language other than English.

Sabatini NEVER had a negative thing to say about
other players! She was a respectful and shy kid.

Gaby certainly did not live up to the expectations
of the tennis public. Perhaps those expectations
were too high. And, they may have been prompted
by her good looks rather than the reality of her
tennis skills. (Kournikova may be in the same boat today.)

At any rate, Gaby's early departure from the game
is certainly understandable. The public always
demanded more than she could give. I think it
was easy for her to make the decision to escape
from the harsh scrutiny she had to endure.
player2 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 07:39 AM   #2
country flag irma

irma has disabled reputation
I remember reading that she was attacked for her English especially when she was young. I always found that unfair, not only with her but with all people
To the river so deep
We all end in the ocean
We all start in the streams
We're all carried along
By the river of dreams
In the middle of the night
irma is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2002, 06:35 PM   #3
player2

player2 is an unknown quantity at this point player2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Eng speaking skills

I agree with you, Irma, re English fluency.
As an American it really impresses me that
the "foreign" players speak so well in so
many different languages. I am in awe.
It is a terrible irony that many Americans do not
appreciate this fact. The combination of youth
and speaking in a second language makes
the interview process a difficult one.

Jim Courrier is the ONLY American tennis
player that I have ever heard speak in
another language. I wish more Americans
were able to do so.
Old Nov 30th, 2002, 07:44 PM   #4
country flag rhz

rhz has a brilliant future rhz has a brilliant future rhz has a brilliant future rhz has a brilliant future rhz has a brilliant future rhz has a brilliant future rhz has a brilliant future rhz has a brilliant future rhz has a brilliant future rhz has a brilliant future rhz has a brilliant future
Serena and Venus always try to speak the language where they are playing in, like when Serena won Roland Garros, she spoke French in part of her speech! also in Japan i guess!
Old Dec 1st, 2002, 11:52 PM   #5
player2

Williams language

Really? I was not aware that they had done this.
Great! Glad to hear it. It certainly shows respect
for the host country. I like that.
Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 08:47 PM   #6
cunnihingis

cunnihingis is a glorious beacon of light cunnihingis is a glorious beacon of light cunnihingis is a glorious beacon of light cunnihingis is a glorious beacon of light cunnihingis is a glorious beacon of light cunnihingis is a glorious beacon of light cunnihingis is a glorious beacon of light cunnihingis is a glorious beacon of light cunnihingis is a glorious beacon of light cunnihingis is a glorious beacon of light cunnihingis is a glorious beacon of light
gaby really deserved her popularity just for being a great competitor and promoter of the sport. where she let herself down as well as the fans is that she let her game stagnate. gaby excelled when she was aggressive. when she began to adapt (perhaps unintentionally) asv and martinez's lulling style of game that's when her slump began.
cunnihingis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2002, 02:38 PM   #7
nemcl

nemcl is an unknown quantity at this point nemcl is an unknown quantity at this point nemcl is an unknown quantity at this point nemcl is an unknown quantity at this point nemcl is an unknown quantity at this point
The first article I read about Ms Sabatini was way back in 1985 ... in "Tennis Magazine" by Peter Bodo (this was a positive article) when he consistently referred to her as the "No Si" kid, which is Spanish for "I don't know" but of course at 15 she would have had no command of English being raised in a Spanish speaking country and of course she was just a child.
What I find fascinating about this subject is the assumption that all tennis players regardless of where they come from, will eventually be English speaking.

I remember reading about Jim Courier speaking French when he was in France and thought that was great ... these tournaments want and desire recognitiion for their efforts and whenever possible using the host language is terrific
nemcl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2002, 07:04 PM   #8
country flag spencercarlos
Sabatini lover Forever

spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute
Test

Seasons in the top ten: Sabatini 10 Conchita 9
Straight Seasons in the top ten: Sabatini 10 Conchita 6
Seasons in the top 5: Sabatini 6 Conchita 5
Straight seasons in the top 5: Sabatini 6 Conchita 4
Tier II and above titles
Sabatini 24 Martinez 17
Record at the Masters
Sabatini has 2 titles 2 Runner up and 3 SF
Martinez has 0 titles, 0 RU, and 0 Sf
Record against the best players
Sabatini 40% Martinez 21%
Head to Head
Sabatini leads 9-6 over Martinez
FWTT Hard 111(111 + ny)Carpet 104(104 + ny)Clay 107(107 + 4) Grass 100(100 ny)

Last edited by spencercarlos : Dec 11th, 2002 at 04:19 AM.
spencercarlos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2002, 07:32 PM   #9
PamShriver

PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of
I do recall in Feinstein's book when Argentine player was told that it didn't seem that Sabatini had much to say in English, he replied "it's pretty much the same for Spanish too". Which made me laugh.
Old Dec 10th, 2002, 07:55 PM   #10
country flag Gallofa
Diosa Contable

Gallofa has a brilliant future Gallofa has a brilliant future Gallofa has a brilliant future Gallofa has a brilliant future Gallofa has a brilliant future Gallofa has a brilliant future Gallofa has a brilliant future Gallofa has a brilliant future Gallofa has a brilliant future Gallofa has a brilliant future Gallofa has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally posted by PamShriver
I do recall in Feinstein's book when Argentine player was told that it didn't seem that Sabatini had much to say in English, he replied "it's pretty much the same for Spanish too". Which made me laugh.
Wasn't that bit about Conchita?

Gallofa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2002, 08:33 PM   #11
PamShriver

PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of
I'm pretty sure it was Gaby, because I recall that the fact that they were from the same country was kind of pointed out.

Have to check to make sure though. Have heard similar things about Conchi though.
Old Dec 10th, 2002, 08:47 PM   #12
country flag Gallofa
Diosa Contable

Gallofa has a brilliant future Gallofa has a brilliant future Gallofa has a brilliant future Gallofa has a brilliant future Gallofa has a brilliant future Gallofa has a brilliant future Gallofa has a brilliant future Gallofa has a brilliant future Gallofa has a brilliant future Gallofa has a brilliant future Gallofa has a brilliant future
Yes, you are right, I think it was in Michael Mewshaw's book that something very similar was mentioned about Conchita.

Gallofa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2002, 03:57 AM   #13
nemcl

nemcl is an unknown quantity at this point nemcl is an unknown quantity at this point nemcl is an unknown quantity at this point nemcl is an unknown quantity at this point nemcl is an unknown quantity at this point
So are Conchi and Gabi DUMD or considering the atmosphere of the tour SMART ?
nemcl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2002, 07:33 AM   #14
Gandalf

Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all
There is a bit in the 'Ladies of the Court' thread about Sabatini, and how Menkshaw portraited her as really dumb (don't know which of the 100 pages of the thread, sorry!). I also think that she was very very shy, and that she relied a lot on her brother in her early years on the tour.
Gandalf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2002, 05:32 PM   #15
PamShriver

The intro to "Ladies of the Court" was all about Mewshaw trying to track down Gaby in Rome for a possible piece in Vogue. She didn't make herself very available to him, much to his dismay and when they did sit down and talk he didn't get much out of her. The impression I was left with was that she wasn't very bright.

Alberto Mancini was the Argentine player that I referenced before in Feinstein's book. Also in that book Feinstein tells a story told by Mary Carillo about how one time all of these reporters came out of a Sabatini press conference and they were all yawning.

I have heard that she is a very sweet girl though and I thought that it was cool of her not to partake in the whole "should Seles be frozen at Number 1 until she comes back" vote after the stabbing.