Tennis Racket Brands - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 17th, 2011, 09:44 PM   #1
country flag Spring Pools

Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute
Tennis Racket Brands

Hi, I know this has been touched upon in the general forums, but I've noticed that many players struggle when they get new racket sponsors. (Djokovic and Wozniacki being the two that come to mind as well as Masha)
What are the main differences between racket brands? I know it differs with the racket itself, but are certain rackets better for different things?
Spring Pools is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 17th, 2011, 11:42 PM   #2
country flag goat

goat has a brilliant future goat has a brilliant future goat has a brilliant future goat has a brilliant future goat has a brilliant future goat has a brilliant future goat has a brilliant future goat has a brilliant future goat has a brilliant future goat has a brilliant future goat has a brilliant future
Re: Tennis Racket Brands

Often brands make racquets with a variety of attributes however they will maintain a core feel. There are also other things which influence this (strings, grips added extra weight)
So often a player has been practising with a racquet for years and a change will result in feeling of being uncomfortable. hence why alot of the pro men keep their original racquets which they enjoy but get a paint coat over it to market the newer models.

For me when purchasing a new racquet i went from a head flexpoint to a head radical pro. The latter felt alot stiffer making me think I was hitting it on the frame and preventing me to get into my groove. I also tried other racquets imbetween the the swtich Wilson K-factor which had a similar feel to the radical but was much heavier at the top and so the shots were coming through flatter with a slight bend of the wrist at the end of the shot.
Babolat is another racquet I tried which were exceptionally smooth however I would of had to customise it alot to suit my game.

Often racquets are used for players 3-4 years at a time especially in mens tennis (nadal, roddick). PLayers get a new model coat on older models for marketting purposes. When changing the brands the feel of the racquet changes and so they are left with an awkward feeling. Customising the racquets allows them to have similar feel to their old racquets i.e added weights, types of strings, softer grips.

Taking this into account often brands make a variety of racquets and so the feeling of the racquets and the attributes of them overlap. Hopefully this helps. Sorry my english is not great and explaining is difficult.
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 06:41 PM   #3
country flag Stephmeister

Stephmeister is an unknown quantity at this point

Same challenge here. I really don't know which brand I need to buy. The people at the store advise me, but when I visit several stores the all give me a different advice. I looked at http://www.tenniskleidung.com (it's a German website because I live in Germany)but they show over 150 rackets.. Its very difficult to make a good choice..
Stephmeister is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 05:52 PM   #4
country flag larar1chards

larar1chards is an unknown quantity at this point

Head size, racket length, weight and string tension are all important things to consider when selecting your racket. Most importantly, the price that you can afford. Check this article for guide in selecting a racket. Hope this helps.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Learn-Tenn...ket&id=6134099
larar1chards is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 03:53 AM   #5
country flag anies45laura

anies45laura is an unknown quantity at this point

If you purchase a superior product from a re-known store you will be able to account for you money or rather the value of your money is worth. As you go round shopping for the best brand you should have enough knowledge to differentiate between genuine products in the market beside the elegant looks. So, I recommend a page that has some of the best brands for your choice: http://www.squidoo.com/great-tennis-rackets. Hope it helps.
anies45laura is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 05:58 AM   #6
country flag tammywilson52

tammywilson52 is just really nice tammywilson52 is just really nice tammywilson52 is just really nice tammywilson52 is just really nice tammywilson52 is just really nice tammywilson52 is just really nice tammywilson52 is just really nice tammywilson52 is just really nice tammywilson52 is just really nice tammywilson52 is just really nice tammywilson52 is just really nice

I don’t know much more about tennis racket brands but I found that Babolat Racket is the best.
tammywilson52 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 10:18 AM   #7
country flag Towanda

Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephmeister View Post
Same challenge here. I really don't know which brand I need to buy. The people at the store advise me, but when I visit several stores the all give me a different advice. I looked at http://www.tenniskleidung.com (it's a German website because I live in Germany)but they show over 150 rackets.. Its very difficult to make a good choice..
A lot of places will let you demo racquets, so you can just take a couple with you to see what you like. Keep doing that with different racquets and you will figure out what works best with your game.
Towanda is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 05:19 AM   #8
country flag lenusu

lenusu is just really nice lenusu is just really nice lenusu is just really nice lenusu is just really nice lenusu is just really nice lenusu is just really nice lenusu is just really nice lenusu is just really nice lenusu is just really nice lenusu is just really nice lenusu is just really nice

the main things you should consider are head size,weight and length of the racket and string tension.
lenusu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2012, 08:31 PM   #9
country flag hardball

hardball is a splendid one to behold hardball is a splendid one to behold hardball is a splendid one to behold hardball is a splendid one to behold hardball is a splendid one to behold hardball is a splendid one to behold hardball is a splendid one to behold hardball is a splendid one to behold hardball is a splendid one to behold hardball is a splendid one to behold hardball is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by larar1chards View Post
Head size, racket length, weight and string tension are all important things to consider when selecting your racket. Most importantly, the price that you can afford. Check this article for guide in selecting a racket. Hope this helps.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Learn-Tenn...ket&id=6134099
do look at balance if you experience elbow pain. lighter, head heavy raquets have more power but also lead to tennis elbow. you have less elbow problem with heavyer, head light raquets, but then you need to work harder to generate power. also some people prefer stiff frames as opposed to soft. stiff feels more solid and since there is less vibration, again less stress on your elbow.
hardball is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2012, 04:30 PM   #10
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

I think that yes, the various brands have distinct personalities that are consistent across their frames. Since I'm a car buff, I'll compare them to those (US variants)

In my experience:

Wilson--the Honda of rackets. They really do pretty much everything well, even if they aren't great at any particular single aspect. Usually have moderately good feel, middling stiffness, if a Wilson isn't your favorite stick it's probably your second favorite stick.

Head--More like old-school Audis. Not to everyone's liking with some just plain weird engineering and feel, but if you like them and know how to control them, they are really good. I haven't played with them much (since I find the hard to use) but they give really immediate feedback--almost too much for me. At the same time, I find them a bit floppy, even the ones that are supposed to be stiff.

Prince--classic 'merican muscle, like a Camaro or Mustang. Floaty, not a lot of feel or feedback, but oodles of V-8 power no matter how crappy your swing is. Even their rackets that are supposed to be "control" rackets are more about power than control.

Babolat--Porsche. Not necessarily super better premium, but just that they take a basic racket (think the 911) and roll out 37 different customized versions of it that all have good stiffness and good feedback, but the power really does range from a 6 cyclinder that's pretty tepid up to triple-turbo charged models. I think that's the reason they're selling so well right now is that anyone can find a Babolat they like.

Just my opinions. The funny thing is another person will contradict everything I say, and be completely right without me being wrong. That's why you have to playtest rackets.
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2012, 09:09 AM   #11
country flag Andy.
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffedmax View Post
I think that yes, the various brands have distinct personalities that are consistent across their frames. Since I'm a car buff, I'll compare them to those (US variants)

In my experience:

Wilson--the Honda of rackets. They really do pretty much everything well, even if they aren't great at any particular single aspect. Usually have moderately good feel, middling stiffness, if a Wilson isn't your favorite stick it's probably your second favorite stick.

Head--More like old-school Audis. Not to everyone's liking with some just plain weird engineering and feel, but if you like them and know how to control them, they are really good. I haven't played with them much (since I find the hard to use) but they give really immediate feedback--almost too much for me. At the same time, I find them a bit floppy, even the ones that are supposed to be stiff.

Prince--classic 'merican muscle, like a Camaro or Mustang. Floaty, not a lot of feel or feedback, but oodles of V-8 power no matter how crappy your swing is. Even their rackets that are supposed to be "control" rackets are more about power than control.

Babolat--Porsche. Not necessarily super better premium, but just that they take a basic racket (think the 911) and roll out 37 different customized versions of it that all have good stiffness and good feedback, but the power really does range from a 6 cyclinder that's pretty tepid up to triple-turbo charged models. I think that's the reason they're selling so well right now is that anyone can find a Babolat they like.

Just my opinions. The funny thing is another person will contradict everything I say, and be completely right without me being wrong. That's why you have to playtest rackets.
I love these analogies....would love your take on Yonex.
Andy. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2012, 06:07 PM   #12
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

Yonex just isn't that big in the U.S., and I've never played with or playtested one of their sticks. I have a friend who uses one but it's a really old model so I don't know much about it.

I personally use a Prince, but I've at least playtested all the ones (or hit with a friends) across a number of multiple models to feel like I can give some feedback on what MY feel for the overall brands are (as opposed to specific models).

I can say I hate my buddies Yonex. But for all I know there are Yonex out there I might like and like I said his is no longer even in production.

Anyway, I'm a big proponent of playtesting for anyone who isn't a complete beginner. No stick will magically transform you from a 3.5 to a 4.0, but the right stick will make you a better, more consistent 3.5 who doesn't end up with shoulder, wrist or elbow problems.
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2012, 06:36 PM   #13
country flag Sammo

Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffedmax View Post

In my experience:

Well said, even if I'm a Porsche stan and hate Babolat

"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live."

Last edited by Sammo : Sep 26th, 2012 at 07:47 PM.
Sammo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2012, 08:03 PM   #14
country flag Kipling
Kaptain of Kool

Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty cosmetics aside, I will tell you what my racquet stringer has told me on numerous occasions. He had a stringing room at the Western & Southern Open and strings for many pros, so take it for what it's worth.

He told me that most racquets, regardless of label or "manufacturer" are actually factory produced from the same molds and come from one of a handful of factories. In other words, there are very few actual "enhancements" on them on that differentiate them from one other. The only thing that is really different is weight, balance, headsize, gripsize of some differentiating racquets within the "universal" mold, which racquets are then shipped off to the various companies for "customizing" with flashy paints and grommet systems, etc. There are some exceptions to this obviously--Yonnex makes racquets that are distinct in their head shape, for example. There are others. But many of the conventional big name companies actually have racquets that are no different from one another technically speaking.

He told me that the same thing applies to strings--that basically all or most string is produced by 4 companies in Germany, then sold to various companies around the world who market it under their own names. In other words, Babolat gut is no different than Wilson...

Take it with a grain of salt, but that is what he told me. Like I said, he does string at the pro tournies....

AravaneCaravan's tennis blog: http://thearavanecaravan.wordpress.com
'
Kipling is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2012, 08:06 PM   #15
country flag larsson

larsson is a name known to all larsson is a name known to all larsson is a name known to all larsson is a name known to all larsson is a name known to all larsson is a name known to all larsson is a name known to all larsson is a name known to all larsson is a name known to all larsson is a name known to all larsson is a name known to all

Wha brand would be recommended for a beginner?
larsson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote