Laura Robson: The Silver Medal Years 2012- - Page 98 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 26th, 2013, 08:06 PM   #1456
country flag KeysisGOAT

KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future
Re: Laura Robson: The Silver Medal Years 2012-

looks likely to go to a match tiebreak.
KeysisGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 26th, 2013, 08:15 PM   #1457
country flag Embittered

Embittered has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by allracquetsports View Post
A picture of happiness.

As good a doubles player as Lisa Raymond is, there is no way she is good enough to carry Laura when she takes her scatter-gun game onto court. That means that Laura was competing on level terms with 3 very good doubles players. The Russians are also ranked well ahead of Laura in singles. And only 1 DF late on in the second set.

Now you know you can mix it with the top girls.

If we could just make the singles court a bit smaller ....
Well, Laura's not Ash Barty, but she does have a GS doubles QF on her CV.

On another point, I was amazed when I checked the WTA rules that there was nothing about using a singles ranking for doubles entry. Must be a Grand Slam only thing
Embittered is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 08:19 PM   #1458
country flag Embittered

Embittered has disabled reputation

Quote:
I've never seen it before as there is not much televised doubles and even fewer Brit doubles players. It was only a few years ago they ditched the 3rd set for a tiebreak. I presume there are some Tournament conditions of play somewhere but maybe not publicly available on the WTA or Sonytennis website
The WTA rules are published freely--see the footer on the WTA website. The scoring rules for doubles are at the top of p. 174 in the 2013 edition.

ATP and ITF (juniors and pros) do the same thing, of course. Only the slams (for the most part) and Davis/Fed Cup hold out.
Embittered is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 08:40 PM   #1459
country flag allracquetsports

allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice

Roll on Friday if they stick to the schedule. Hope it is Good Friday for Laura.

At least with Errani/Vinci winning Laura is in a no lose situation and they can play with no pressure or expectation. If they somehow manage to win, Laura will probably be able to fly on to Charleston without needing a plane. If they lose, she can go back to the singles knowing she has mainly erased the disappointment of the Cornet defeat.
allracquetsports is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 09:37 PM   #1460
country flag Material World

Material World has much to be proud of Material World has much to be proud of Material World has much to be proud of Material World has much to be proud of Material World has much to be proud of Material World has much to be proud of Material World has much to be proud of Material World has much to be proud of Material World has much to be proud of Material World has much to be proud of Material World has much to be proud of

Great to see Laura having a good dubs tourny. Far better for her than having a blank few days going over the Cornet loss. Forza!

Petkovic ~ Parmentier ~ Rezai ~ Errani ~ Vekic ~ Pavlyuchenkova ~ Halep ~ Konta ~ Riske
Material World is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2013, 06:28 PM   #1461

allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice

Laura gets at least another 700 ranking points even if they lose, giving her 915 total.

Mirjana Lucic-Baroni at no 90 has 916 points. So even though others will be getting points added or taken away, Laura should easily be in the top 100 come Monday.

If they could win, Laura would be in the 70's
Old Mar 29th, 2013, 06:33 PM   #1462

Laura & Lisa also get to share a minimum of $122,997 between them.

Where are the pictures of the victory celebration?
Old Mar 29th, 2013, 06:37 PM   #1463
Royals.

Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute

^ Pic thread.
Old Mar 29th, 2013, 06:52 PM   #1464
country flag Dawson.

Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute

Career high in singles and doubles after this event. Considering how bummed out we all were this time last week I'd say that's a pretty good consolation!

... for some reason.
Dawson. is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2013, 07:07 PM   #1465

At the risk of repeating myself, I still think Laura would benefit from someone like Lisa either on her team or at close quarters. Someone who has been there, seen it, done it. Laura needs some input on what you need to do, as well as how to do it.

There is a fair consensus that getting Ivan Lendl on the team was the game changer for Andy. Whereas Andy needed to look up to someone to give him the final push, I think Laura needs the leg up at the start of her career.
Old Mar 29th, 2013, 07:13 PM   #1466
country flag =HomeAlone=

=HomeAlone= is a glorious beacon of light =HomeAlone= is a glorious beacon of light =HomeAlone= is a glorious beacon of light =HomeAlone= is a glorious beacon of light =HomeAlone= is a glorious beacon of light =HomeAlone= is a glorious beacon of light =HomeAlone= is a glorious beacon of light =HomeAlone= is a glorious beacon of light =HomeAlone= is a glorious beacon of light =HomeAlone= is a glorious beacon of light =HomeAlone= is a glorious beacon of light

=HomeAlone= is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2013, 07:15 PM   #1467
Royals.

Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
At the risk of repeating myself, I still think Laura would benefit from someone like Lisa either on her team or at close quarters. Someone who has been there, seen it, done it. Laura needs some input on what you need to do, as well as how to do it.

There is a fair consensus that getting Ivan Lendl on the team was the game changer for Andy. Whereas Andy needed to look up to someone to give him the final push, I think Laura needs the leg up at the start of her career.
I didn't agree with you at first. But i think having Lisa as part of her team may actually be a good thing for her.
Old Mar 29th, 2013, 07:16 PM   #1468
country flag =HomeAlone=

=HomeAlone= is a glorious beacon of light =HomeAlone= is a glorious beacon of light =HomeAlone= is a glorious beacon of light =HomeAlone= is a glorious beacon of light =HomeAlone= is a glorious beacon of light =HomeAlone= is a glorious beacon of light =HomeAlone= is a glorious beacon of light =HomeAlone= is a glorious beacon of light =HomeAlone= is a glorious beacon of light =HomeAlone= is a glorious beacon of light =HomeAlone= is a glorious beacon of light

Cutie Laura
=HomeAlone= is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2013, 09:49 PM   #1469

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodyElectric. View Post
I didn't agree with you at first. But i think having Lisa as part of her team may actually be a good thing for her.
I don't think there is much chance of Lisa being part of 'Team Laura' as she still has some mileage left in her own career. Lisa Raymond is one of the top doubles players of all time so you could not wish for a better partner in a scratch pairing.

L&L may be able to play together in future but it will probably only be when Laura's singles schedule coincides with Lisa's doubles itinerary.

Judy Murray will be a great help to Laura when she meets up at the Fed cup and there are a number of tournaments where the ATP & WTA meet so as Fed cup captain, it would be in Judy's interest to see Laura doing well.

Although I can't see how it could happen, if there is one player who could push Laura well into the top 10 it is Martina Hingis. Unbelievable talent as a youngster and a sensational doubles player. With no extremes of physique to call on, Hingis was a superb thinker and tactician, as well as being technically excellent.

One of the great tragedies in tennis is that Martina Hingis & Martina Navratilova never got together on a doubles court. Getting back to Laura, Martina Himgis could teach Laura everything she needs to know about tournament play in singles & doubles.

I don't know how much she would expect to be paid to go travelling the world for 30 weeks a year, but it would be repaid 10 fold in very short order.
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 12:03 AM   #1470
country flag Play_Suspended
Finding a cure for double-faultitis

Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of

Great performance. Gotta feel this is so mental just not feeling the pressure in doubles as in singles. She can play the tennis, by all accounts she was the best player on the court today. Said she wasn't nervous serving the match out. If only we could take this Laura and put her on the singles court in Charleston next week.

Totally agree with Lisa being a good influence. Posted some articles with quotes from them in the interview thread and at one point Laura talks about getting distracted during the MTO and Lisa saying 'focus!'. Even if nothing official happens (which I doubt), would be good to have either as a doubles partner or just as someone to chat to occassionally when stuff is getting tough and just use Lisa's general experience. The two clearly get on well and seem as tho they're having fun.

Both seemed quite keen on playing more together, they have the same agents which obvs helps, I hope they do play more together and this would bring Lisa into the fold more even in an unoffical context. Be interesting to see if Lisa goes back to Sam or ditches her for a younger model xD Though I suspect a lot will depend on Laura's scheduling and willingness to commit to at least semi regularly playing doubles.

Interesting comment in one article about how she could relax more in doubles as you didnt have to think as much as in singles xD